Random Politics & Religion #02

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 38 39 40
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-20 12:01:53  
Ramyrez said: »
Lakshmi.Sparthosx said: »
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It's a forum for a Japanese game with a high nerd ratio. Samurai are srs bsns.

Skillchain: Truth

Please. "Renkei" is the term we use to try to impress the Japanese player base with our elementary knowledge of their terms and culture.

Ain't that the shinjitsu.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-20 12:04:06  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Ain't that the shinjitsu.

Go fuidama yourself.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-20 12:08:12  
Sonna Koto dekinai!
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-20 12:12:08  
Random Politics&Weebs.
[+]
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Lillica
By Grumpy Cat 2016-04-20 12:15:15  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Random Politics&Weebs.

I don't want any of these waifus.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-20 12:38:49  
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
user: sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-20 12:46:44  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
Random Politics&Weebs.

That feeling in '07 when a JP agreed to join your party. Senpai noticed me!
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-04-20 12:58:02  
In the good news dept:

3 charged in Flint water crisis
CNN

My orignal thought was "only 3?" But its a start.

Quote:
The man who supervised Flint's water treatment plant has been charged, along with two state environmental officials, in connection with the Michigan city's water crisis.
Mike Glasgow, a former supervisor at the Flint treatment plant who now serves as the city's utilities administrator, is charged with tampering with evidence and willful neglect of duty as a public officer, according to court records.

The other two are Stephen Busch and Mike Prysby of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.
Busch, who is on unpaid administrative leave with the department, and Prysby, who still works with the department, both stand charged with two counts each of misconduct in office, tampering with evidence and violation of the Safe Water Drinking Act.
The next step in the process is a formal arraignment, Genesee County prosecutor David Leyton said.
Leyton is expected to appear with state Attorney General Bill Schuette, who is leading the investigation, at a news conference Wednesday afternoon.

For some affected Flint residents, the criminal charges don't go far enough.
Nakiya Wakes said holding three officials accountable "is a start but only a start."
"I won't rest until the governor is charged. It was his person who pushed the change of water supply through and he knew there were problems but did nothing," Wakes said.
"We are still suffering here. And his higher-ups in this mess need to be held responsible, too."
And more too.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-20 12:59:51  
Hmm, Harriet Tubman will supposedly be the new face of the $20 bill. There was talk of putting someone new on the Ten and replacing Hamilton, but apparently Harriet Tubman is too hardcore to replace anyone but Andrew "I Killed A Man In A Duel" Jackson.

It may also have something to do with the fact that having a former-slave abolitionist and an anti-abolitionist Southern sympathizer on money at the same time might send mixed messages, or it could have something to do with the popular Alexander Hamilton musical out now, I dunno.

Either way, not a bad choice by the Treasury Department. The only problem is that they don't actually plan on rolling this out until 2030 from what I've read.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-20 13:07:15  
Hmm, Harriet Tubman will supposedly be the new face of the $20 bill. There was talk of putting someone new on the Ten and replacing Hamilton, but apparently Harriet Tubman is too hardcore to replace anyone but Andrew "I Killed A Man In A Duel" Jackson.

It may also have something to do with the fact that having a former-slave abolitionist and an anti-abolitionist Southern sympathizer on money at the same time might send mixed messages, or it could have something to do with the popular Alexander Hamilton musical out now, I dunno.

Either way, not a bad choice by the Treasury Department. The only problem is that they don't actually plan on rolling this out until 2030 from what I've read.
But, then, the Treasury Department won't be trolling Jackson anymore.

I mean, what better way of honoring a president who's against monetary values, the banking system, and the Federal Reserve than to put him on the most used bill in circulation?
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-20 13:08:38  
Thats what I recall. The whole Jackson thing was an inside joke. At least thats what I read.

Tubman on the 20 is a pretty big deal considering it's the most widely used denomination outside Washington on the 1. If anything, Grant is screwed, stuck on the 50 dollar bill.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-20 13:11:34  
fonewear said: »
Trump v. Clinton, the stay at home election of the century.

Couldn't you say that about every election though ?

Only if every election this century gets progressively worse. That can't happen... right? Let me consult my Magic 8-Ball.

[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-04-20 13:18:21  
Thats what I recall. The whole Jackson thing was an inside joke. At least thats what I read.

Tubman on the 20 is a pretty big deal considering it's the most widely used denomination outside Washington on the 1. If anything, Grant is screwed, stuck on the 50 dollar bill.

Yeah, and the other options were Eleanor Roosevelt and Rosa Parks. And sure, they're great and all, but IMO none of them hold a candle to Tubman.
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-20 13:44:17  

Inflation dictates that Grant's going to get his day sooner or later.

The only question will be how much paper money will be in use by then; it'll never go away, but think about how much cash you use now vs ten years ago.
By fonewear 2016-04-20 13:47:39  
I think Lena Dunham should be on the 20.
 Bahamut.Milamber
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-20 13:52:00  
Drama Torama said: »

Inflation dictates that Grant's going to get his day sooner or later.

The only question will be how much paper money will be in use by then; it'll never go away, but think about how much cash you use now vs ten years ago.
Anecdotal, but it seems that those I contact regularly use cash when purchasing things not over the net (particularly when there are discounts for cash).

Whereas here, I'd argue the most common use of coins is to unlock shopping carts, and cash in general is not very commonly used. (Extremely easy/cheap/free account to account bank transfers, and Mobilepay is doing a damn good job of moving towards the top of the chain for payment processing.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-20 14:11:23  
The only advantage to cash at this point is dodging taxes if you're too poor to do it the rich man's way: with an accountant and creative banking.

So unless you're trying to do that, it's my experience that cash is really of quite limited usefulness and is more an irritation than anything at this point.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-20 14:27:27  
The only advantage to cash at this point is dodging taxes if you're too poor to do it the rich man's way: with an accountant and creative banking.
How?

You keep saying that the rich dodge/evade taxes, but you can't say how. You just keep referring to the mystical degreed job of accountancy and also the banking system.

Let me tell you something. As an accountant, there is no way, other than outright bartering and/or paying/receiving everything in cash, to hide money and/or evade taxes. If you have a bank account, which is pretty much required now-a-days just to pay simple bills like utilities, there is no way to hide any money from the government.

Hell, if you make a withdrawal for $10k or more, the bank is required by law to fill out a ton of paperwork just to track that money. And if you withdraw amounts between $5k to $10k often? Still more paperwork on top of that. Unless you are a business, then you only have to file out paperwork once, instead of per transaction.

Your assertion is false and highly biased due to your absolute hatred of the rich and successful.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-20 14:35:39  
Yes, nobody stashes money off shore, no one plays the tax code's intricacies in their favor, etc., etc., etc.

Seriously?

How do you still claim no one does these things with a straight face?

Or are you going to pass it off as semantics and technicalities, much like the acts themselves aren't "technically" dodging taxes?
[+]
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2016-04-20 14:47:12  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Your assertion is false and highly biased due to your absolute hatred of the rich and successful.

This again?

Ramy, being Big Tuna in this scenario.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-20 14:47:13  
Yes, nobody stashes money off shore, no one plays the tax code's intricacies in their favor, etc., etc., etc.

Seriously?

How do you still claim no one does these things with a straight face?

Or are you going to pass it off as semantics and technicalities, much like the acts themselves aren't "technically" dodging taxes?
US citizens are taxed on worldwide income.

If you pay taxes overseas, you are given a foreign tax credit (even then, it's subject to limitations). So, if you put your investments and money in an overseas account in a country that has no income taxes, you still pay income taxes on that income, because you don't have a foreign tax credit to offset the taxes of the income earned.

Like I said before....you have no clue as to what you are talking about.
 Bismarck.Ihina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-04-20 14:56:19  
You don't have to be rich to avoid taxes. You just need an accountant that's, in your words, 'creative'.

For example, 'I know a friend' who stated that he bought a computer for 7k as a business expense and sold it for 25 dollars, and wrote the difference in loss as a tax write off.

It's really not that hard, long as you keep it below the threshold where it would raise a red flag with the IRS.
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-20 15:00:28  
Tax avoidance is baked into the American system.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-20 15:03:51  
Random factoid: most profitable industry in the US? Accounting.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Sparthosx
By Lakshmi.Sparthosx 2016-04-20 15:08:36  
Lakshmi.Zerowone said: »
Random factoid: most profitable industry in the US? Accounting.

More than healthcare? Eh.
 Lakshmi.Zerowone
By Lakshmi.Zerowone 2016-04-20 15:10:04  
Who do you think does their numbers?
[+]
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-04-20 15:27:19  
Also, every once in awhile, the accountant does get caught. Rather they trying to prove their case that what they stated was true, they can just pay a small fine and move on.

It's not too different from major corporations who commit fraud, earn millions to billions of dollars, then pay a fraction of their profits in fines when they get caught.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-20 15:29:32  
So unless you're trying to do that, it's my experience that cash is really of quite limited usefulness and is more an irritation than anything at this point.

You're not doing it right then..

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You keep saying that the rich dodge/evade taxes, but you can't say how.

Everyone can and does evade taxes, saying how is rather stupid given the NSA watches everything.. Why take that chance?

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
You don't have to be rich to avoid taxes. You just need an accountant that's, in your words, 'creative'.

You don't even need that, they are nice to have though.

Bismarck.Ihina said: »
For example, 'I know a friend' who stated that he bought a computer for 7k as a business expense and sold it for 25 dollars, and wrote the difference in loss as a tax write off.

That is pushing it.. But a descent example.
 Bismarck.Ihina
By Bismarck.Ihina 2016-04-20 15:37:40  
It's a recent and real life example.
First Page 2 3 ... 22 23 24 ... 38 39 40