フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Guns vs Bows
Guns vs Bows
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Sylph.Nightcrew
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Nightcrew
By Sylph.Nightcrew 2010-04-19 09:33:15  
Been trying to figure out where Guns full into place.

Are they only used for End Game/HNM stuff, or could they be used for "casual" play?

Can Guns be done on the cheap or does it need to be Hellfire +1 w/ Silver Bullets?

Should I not worry about Guns till End Game?

If I want to "casual" play, camp NM, quests/missions, etc, should I just stick with Selene's, Scorp/Demon or can Gun be done on the cheap and still produce good numbers?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, didn't see a Topic about it.
 Kujata.Akeda
サーバ: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-19 10:21:22  
Guns are COR ONRY ;)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-04-19 10:42:39  
I'm becoming an endgame RNG (mainly for certain events) and I think that if you want to have both, thats fine.

Bows for merits, guns for high-end damage.

[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-19 11:24:15  
Asura.Jetzabel said:
As a RNG, its useful to have every tool at your disposal. I try to carry around bow, xbow and gun. But sometimes the inventory space for ammo can get a little overwhelming.

sorry but i have to ask.. why? i mean unless you have capped archery and marksmanship why would you carry all 3 types?
By Oblisk 2010-04-19 11:44:18  
Unless you are using relic gun drop the rest. Get a 6 hit build for a Selenes or E-Bow, you will put out alot of damage. Get a Light gorget for sidewinder/arching arrow. The 6-hit I personally use is rajas, hachiryu legs and feet, rose strap. And as far as ranger in end game. Must at Dark Ixion, good in sky(lol), all right on JoL, mediocre on KB. Any other event they can be out done by a war or a sam (that knows what they are doing). If you manage to get a 6 hit build, I recommend full timing a Novia.
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-19 12:11:08  
Asura.Jetzabel said:
Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
As a RNG, its useful to have every tool at your disposal. I try to carry around bow, xbow and gun. But sometimes the inventory space for ammo can get a little overwhelming.

sorry but i have to ask.. why? i mean unless you have capped archery and marksmanship why would you carry all 3 types?

Why not?

I guess you could leave out gun.

i have Vbow and Obow, i always carry both and have acid/bloody bolts all the time as i play thf alot. but their really is no point carrying a gun unless you have capped marksmanship and decent gear for zergs or multi hit for tp, they are waaaay to slow imo
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-19 12:13:17  
Oblisk said:
Unless you are using relic gun drop the rest. Get a 6 hit build for a Selenes or E-Bow, you will put out alot of damage. Get a Light gorget for sidewinder/arching arrow. The 6-hit I personally use is rajas, hachiryu legs and feet, rose strap. And as far as ranger in end game. Must at Dark Ixion, good in sky(lol), all right on JoL, mediocre on KB. Any other event they can be out done by a war or a sam (that knows what they are doing). If you manage to get a 6 hit build, I recommend full timing a Novia.

/sam alone gives 6hit with Vbow and novia on its own is not enough minus enmity to save you from pulling hate.. you also forgot to mention RNG versus Odin.
 Ramuh.Ilvex
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2010-04-19 12:42:10  
what self respecting ranger doesn't have marksmanship and archery capped?
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-19 12:47:13  
Ramuh.Ilvex said:

i think capped was meant to be aimed at merits.... and i dont know any RNG that has marks and achery merits capped
 Phoenix.Lucasta
サーバ: Phoenix
user: lucasta
By Phoenix.Lucasta 2010-04-19 12:49:23  
Ramuh.Ilvex said:

^ this
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-19 12:57:21  
There isn't really a right or wrong answer for this one. They're both perfectly acceptable, both absolutely awesome and both powerful. At the top of its potential, though, Ranger will produce more DoT using Hellfire +1 over all other weapons, assuming equivalent gear. The difference is nothing to cry home about, but just be aware if you do decide to stick with bows, that you could get slightly better results using a Hellfire +1. Easier to six hit also, although I don't see as many RNG/SAM on Lakshmi as I should like. =\

There is always the fact Silver Bullets are quite more expensive (nearly twice as much per stack) than arrows though. Price is always a factor to a lot of people. But generally, whilst it's not so much a big difference to worry about, by all technicalities Hellfire +1 is the superior weapon (even over E/VBow), but not by a huge amount.

(Not really considering relics, if you have to ask which to use if you have a relic bow or gun, you're an idiot; and if you have both, you're an even bigger idiot.)
 Carbuncle.Laitha
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-19 14:46:42  
I only use a gun.

Before I completed Ferdinand I had a hellfire+1. When I completed Annihilator I pretty much stop using all off the following:

Comet Tail = for capping throwing skill or farming on Ranger.
Fay Gendawa = for 4 hour dynamis when i got tired of spending lots of gil on silver bullets.
Loxley Bow = for pulling in dynamis or NM claiming.
Othinus' Bow = Status Bolts + Holy bolts and WS in DS = damage just as good as bow or gun.

Honestly anyone that fulltimes Ranger and understands the strength and weakness of each weapon should know why you carry all the weapons.

The biggest difference between Anni and Yochi is hate control. You can stay lower on the hate list than everyone else. Yochi's advantage is greater chance to full hit with your barrages and you can use it on sam.
 Shiva.Gylfie
サーバ: Shiva
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2010-04-19 14:51:33  
Guns make loud noises, automatically making them the best choice.
 Shiva.Daimos
user: Daimos
By Shiva.Daimos 2010-04-19 15:02:06  
Shiva.Gylfie said:

BANG! > thwap?
 Sylph.Ixe
サーバ: Sylph
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2010-04-19 15:04:19  
Asura.Jetzabel said:

If youre a RNG and dont have capped archery/marksmanship....
Then Imma just go Over there >.>
I agree I carry 2 Bows, 2 Xbows and a gun on my RNG usually
Phoenix.Lucasta said:
Ramuh.Ilvex said:

^ this
/agreee
 Shiva.Gylfie
user: Gylfie
By Shiva.Gylfie 2010-04-19 15:11:42  
Shiva.Daimos said:
Shiva.Gylfie said:

BANG! > thwap?
Damn right!
 Asura.Ewhenn
サーバ: Asura
user: Bukka
By Asura.Ewhenn 2010-04-19 15:34:19  
I carry Ebow/O.bow on me at all times, although I rarely bring out o.bow, its nice to have for when you do want to.
But I also dont have any marksmanship merits, only archery.
By Oblisk 2010-04-20 12:29:48  

/sam alone gives 6hit with Vbow and novia on its own is not enough minus enmity to save you from pulling hate.. you also forgot to mention RNG versus Odin.

Show up to Dark Ixion /sam tell me how that goes. Yea RNG is awesome for Odin, Sarameya, and Pandemonium Warden as well. A Novia will help your situation. With a BRD and COR no, a tank wont hold hate off of you. But what separates boys from men on ranger are the people who can put out alot of damage and not die/get others killed. To my last point, if you show up to something /sam on ranger you need to have badass tanks, put +21 store tp on and you have a 5-hit build aka kicking *** and taking names.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2010-04-20 12:41:59  
Many time carrying all 3 has saved my life- Bloody Bolts are great for medium difficulty mobs. I just started using Hellfire+1, just wanna say its great but really sucks on Dark Ixion.

Using bow is much better on him..
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-20 13:45:06  
Oblisk said:
Show up to Dark Ixion /sam tell me how that goes. Yea RNG is awesome for Odin, Sarameya, and Pandemonium Warden as well. A Novia will help your situation. With a BRD and COR no, a tank wont hold hate off of you. But what separates boys from men on ranger are the people who can put out alot of damage and not die/get others killed. To my last point, if you show up to something /sam on ranger you need to have badass tanks, put 21 store tp on and you have a 5-hit build aka kicking *** and taking names.

I could do DI /sam with a 5 hit Annihilator build and I do just fine. I went /nin because it was my first time. If I would have been in a party with a COR and SAM I could have had a 4 hit build with SAM roll pretty easily reguardless of the roll number.
 Shiva.Darkmacabre
By Shiva.Darkmacabre 2010-04-20 13:54:10  
Pfft Culverin +1 onry. Cannons all the way. xD
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-20 13:54:37  
Guns go pew pew pew, so I think they win :3
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-20 13:55:37  
Pretty much what all the better people are saying. Gun > Bow.
By Handyandy 2010-04-20 14:00:21  
I mainly end game, and Find that Guns > Bow for many things, but Bow is great when you need to be out of a aoe range and still keep decent damage. I also like Xbow when fighting mobs week to Holy.

So its best said by Jetzable: "As a RNG, its useful to have every tool at your disposal. I try to carry around bow, xbow and gun. But sometimes the inventory space for ammo can get a little overwhelming."

BTW, buy all your ammo in 12 stack bags/quivers, then not such a big issue and you save money in the long run.
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-20 14:04:14  
Siren.Enternius said:
Pretty much what all the better people are saying. Gun > Bow.

Bow puts up better numbers if your Ranger gear isn't the greatest. Arrows are cheaper and typically come with 5 rng acc. They also fire faster than guns.
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-04-20 14:06:29  
I suppose it all comes down to DoT dmg vs WS dmg. However, from what I have heard, guns come up on top when the two forms of damage are combined, which is what one would generally want to go for. However, it's a game, and as long as you can do your part as a DD, do what is best suited to yourself.
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-20 14:08:40  
Handyandy said:
I mainly end game, and Find that Guns > Bow for many things, but Bow is great when you need to be out of a aoe range and still keep decent damage.

If your out of optimum bow range and gun range how does bow>gun damage? I guess you have to run in farther with gun to hit optium range for Weaponskill but then again sidewinder doesn't hit from over 15 steps away either. On the other hand relic weaponskills hit from alot farther away.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8