First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-04-20 14:13:31  
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
Handyandy said:
I mainly end game, and Find that Guns > Bow for many things, but Bow is great when you need to be out of a aoe range and still keep decent damage.

If your out of optimum bow range and gun range how does bow>gun damage? I guess you have to run in farther with gun to hit optium range for Weaponskill but then again sidewinder doesn't hit from over 15 steps away either. On the other hand relic weaponskills hit from alot farther away.
Because the further you are out of ideal range, the lower your R.ACC/R.Attack goes.
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Pretty much what all the better people are saying. Gun > Bow.

Bow puts up better numbers if your Ranger gear isn't the greatest. Arrows are cheaper and typically come with 5 rng acc. They also fire faster than guns.
Yes, but that's like saying Axex2 > GA because I already have merits in Axe and GA isn't capped.
 Carbuncle.Laitha
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-20 14:19:22  
Siren.Enternius said:
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Pretty much what all the better people are saying. Gun > Bow.
Bow puts up better numbers if your Ranger gear isn't the greatest. Arrows are cheaper and typically come with 5 rng acc. They also fire faster than guns.
Yes, but that's like saying Axex2 > GA because I already have merits in Axe and GA isn't capped.

I was just using that as an example on why alot of people favor bow over gun.
 Sylph.Shadida
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadida 2010-04-20 14:54:51  
Guns only suffer a 12% PDIF penalty outside of their sweet spot and you can still go in for weapon skills provided you're smart and time it properly. Guns are also easier to make a hit-build with if you have the proper tools.

For the longest time I was bow-only, but I've come around to guns lately, since SE has done a lot to make guns more attractive in the past few months. Namely, I have these two guns now which I carry around with my Vbow and Loxley:

Both are my screenshots. The Dragonmaw in particular is amazing, if you want to see some discussion about it you can check this BG post: http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90728&page=40

I'm presently working on capping out marksmanship merits, and I think I'll be firing more bullets than arrows in the next few weeks.
 Sylph.Nightcrew
user: Nightcrew
By Sylph.Nightcrew 2010-04-20 21:16:44  
Thanks for the advice, now my biggest question is can they be done cheap, or do I need to fork out for Hellfire +1 w/ Silver Bullets? Can i use NQ Hellfire w/ Iron Bullets? What about Coffinmaker, would that be acceptable?
By Oblisk 2010-04-21 03:08:53  
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
Oblisk said:
Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu said:
/sam alone gives 6hit with Vbow and novia on its own is not enough minus enmity to save you from pulling hate.. you also forgot to mention RNG versus Odin.
Show up to Dark Ixion /sam tell me how that goes. Yea RNG is awesome for Odin, Sarameya, and Pandemonium Warden as well. A Novia will help your situation. With a BRD and COR no, a tank wont hold hate off of you. But what separates boys from men on ranger are the people who can put out alot of damage and not die/get others killed. To my last point, if you show up to something /sam on ranger you need to have badass tanks, put 21 store tp on and you have a 5-hit build aka kicking *** and taking names.

I could do DI /sam with a 5 hit Annihilator build and I do just fine. I went /nin because it was my first time. If I would have been in a party with a COR and SAM I could have had a 4 hit build with SAM roll pretty easily reguardless of the roll number.

Read the above where I said the only gun really acceptable is Anni. As far as others, only event I would probably get out parsed at is KV. Other than that I have never seen a gun ranger come close to a bow ranger in any event. And yea, delete your account if you have anni and no 5-hit.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-04-21 03:49:53  
Ramuh.Ilvex said:
what self respecting ranger doesn't have marksmanship and archery capped?

...you also mean what Thf doesn't have marksmanship capped?

Lulz XD
[+]
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-21 11:41:01  
I just don't see much a use for a ranged weapon that fires twice other than using up a good ammount of ammo. Sure you have a decent ammount of damage but you constantly have to pay more for that damage. Basically the gun would be okay for merits where its lack of stats would be less of a factor. The hellfire+1 is nice.

Sylph.Nightcrew said:
Thanks for the advice, now my biggest question is can they be done cheap, or do I need to fork out for Hellfire +1 w/ Silver Bullets? Can i use NQ Hellfire w/ Iron Bullets? What about Coffinmaker, would that be acceptable?
If you not going to use a Hellfire+1 with silver bullets you might as well just go get a selene's bow and use scorp arrows if you want to be cheap.

Oblisk said:
Other than that I have never seen a gun ranger come close to a bow ranger in any event
Serriously? what were all the gun rangers using metal tubes filled with rock salt? I just suppose all your gun rng friends must suck.
By Oblisk 2010-04-21 12:17:30  
My linkshell is a pretty good one. Go to linkshell list on this and look at number 3 on the list. It's safe to say they know what they are doing, so as far as them sucking no. Just from what I've seen bow out performs it. What 5-hit build do you use with your Anni by the way?
 Carbuncle.Laitha
By Carbuncle.Laitha 2010-04-21 15:05:50  
Oblisk said:
My linkshell is a pretty good one. Go to linkshell list on this and look at number 3 on the list. It's safe to say they know what they are doing, so as far as them sucking no. Just from what I've seen bow out performs it. What 5-hit build do you use with your Anni by the way?

I take it you are Asura.Oblisk by saying your in the number 3 overall LS?

All my gear sets are available for viewing on my character page. /sam + rajas + rose strap gives me like 21 TP per shot return with anni. I honestly haven't had much of a chance to do ZNM and Salvage to get more decent ranger sTP items. If I wanted gear with just sTP i could slap on Cobra gear but I don't want to get my sTP that way.
By Handyandy 2010-04-21 22:09:08  
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
Handyandy said:
I mainly end game, and Find that Guns > Bow for many things, but Bow is great when you need to be out of a aoe range and still keep decent damage.

If your out of optimum bow range and gun range how does bow>gun damage? I guess you have to run in farther with gun to hit optium range for Weaponskill but then again sidewinder doesn't hit from over 15 steps away either. On the other hand relic weaponskills hit from alot farther away.

Many mobs have 10 qubit Aoe which also happens to be close to best Bow range. Guns however are 5.5 qubits. Which is why gun is greater. If you are at the 15.1 mark to avoid mobs with range at that rate then it kinda start to be what ever. Use which ever you have better gear for merits etc.

Using Gun full time is expensive and the gear to make gun truly the burst damage it should be is 3-4x > then full time bow.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-04-21 23:00:30  
Bow > Gun for any situation where you aren't going for maximum spike damage (IE the Qiqrin ZNM in the ruins). Simply put the math is in favor of bows, the damage/delay ratio clearly shows that bows have an advantage. As far as spiking with Slugwinder, SE has (as mentioned previously), improved on a Gun's ability to make ***go boom recently a bit.
All that being said, Crossbows are awesome as well since you can effect not just just your own performance, but the performance of every other person swinging at the mob as well.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-04-21 23:01:22  
Handyandy said:
Carbuncle.Laitha said:
Handyandy said:

Many mobs have 10 qubit Aoe which also happens to be close to best Bow range. Guns however are 5.5 qubits. Which is why gun is greater. If you are at the 15.1 mark to avoid mobs with range at that rate then it kinda start to be what ever. Use which ever you have better gear for merits etc.

Using Gun full time is expensive and the gear to make gun truly the burst damage it should be is 3-4x > then full time bow.

So then stand between the two? lol. It really isn't all that hard to do :/
 Sylph.Ixe
user: Ixe
By Sylph.Ixe 2010-04-21 23:11:55  
Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:
Bow > Gun for any situation where you aren't going for maximum spike damage (IE the Qiqrin ZNM in the ruins). Simply put the math is in favor of bows, the damage/delay ratio clearly shows that bows have an advantage. As far as spiking with Slugwinder, SE has (as mentioned previously), improved on a Gun's ability to make ***go boom recently a bit.
All that being said, Crossbows are awesome as well since you can effect not just just your own performance, but the performance of every other person swinging at the mob as well.
I agreeeeeeeeee
I dont much care for Guns :x
Is why I have merits in Archery
 Shiva.Xet
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-04-22 05:28:43  
Guns are slightly better but i prefer bows from animation down to what i think a "ranger" should use.

Some times it really is the tiny things but the lower delay on a bow helped me go ws > barrage (and if mob was still alive) > WS before i was raped between ws and barrage.

Silence on Kabura's was nice when it proc'd and was needed.

but yeah Gun > bow for capped damage, you are not gimping yourself with either though as difference is tiny. Most rangers are retards anyway. When i had my taru geared which used Ebow I only ever found one rng that out did me and they had Anni (hume). On the other I used to out-do a different kclub/anni user every merit (also a hume).

Edit: Not that opening with ws > barrage is always clever but any rng should be able to solo a bird this way at the minimum. failing that the next ws should kill it....

I'd be more happy if you gear'd well and played properly then buying a Hellfire +1 and either being dead all the time or just plain crap and thinking your good cos every so often you do a 2k ws (which is still crap).

Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 06:46:18  

No, it's really not. The DoT of guns is superior to bows. Nobody's saying you can't use whatever you like, but don't say things like, "Bow has superior damage, the maths is in its favour", when it's just plain wrong.
 Lakshmi.Alibeemac
user: Alibeemac
By Lakshmi.Alibeemac 2010-04-22 07:08:24  
I use Annihilator and am RNG/WAR any time I can and have a 5-hit on it. It is hugely fun. Not the biggest fan of /SAM. I only use it in certain situations.

Pretty happy with my RNG in its current state. Only thing I need to finish up is the stupid Trial.... 1180 kill shots to go for the +6 dmg ~.~

For those who asked about 5-hit builds, can check our my gear sets if you want.

TP - http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=91086

WS - http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=115043
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 07:12:54  
Mind me asking why Blobnag ring on TP? Less accuracy then a Behemoth NQ, lol.
 Ramuh.Deebs
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Deebs 2010-04-22 07:43:30  
I bow for everything but zerg. In which case it's a cannon. I'm 8/8 Archery and 8/8 Marksmanship merits.
By Oblisk 2010-04-22 08:33:49  
Yes, that's me. But like I said with relic you can get away with /sam. Where you can't without one, because you pull massive amounts of hate. And using cobra gear with a anni, don't please. Shoot yourself if you do.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-04-22 08:40:02  
Lakshmi.Aeyela said:

No, it's really not. The DoT of guns is superior to bows. Nobody's saying you can't use whatever you like, but don't say things like, "Bow has superior damage, the maths is in its favour", when it's just plain wrong.

Please show me how i'm wrong. Compare the damage and delay ratio differences between using a gun and a bow.
By Oblisk 2010-04-22 08:40:33  
Laitha I had a quick look over your sets. I suggest you stop letting people know how to ranger until you figure it out yourself. You are a prim example of having a relic doesn't make you a good player.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 08:56:16  
Please show me how i'm wrong. Compare the damage and delay ratio differences between using a gun and a bow.

If you were inclined enough to do your own research before coming to your conclusions, I wouldn't need to. Go and visit the other FFXI forums and read through the hundreds of topics and tests already conducted on this subject. I've also done plenty of testing on the subject myself, and if the results and topics on those forums don't educate you, I'd be happy to share them... That is, assuming they wouldn't instantly be discredited just because they show people to be mistaken.
 Fairy.Haxorking
サーバ: Fairy
user: Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 09:21:13  
In all honesty, the whole gun vs bow thing is kind of moot because it depends greatly on the other gear you're using. For example, your STR/AGI ratio, STP, subjob, rapid/snapshop ect. The difference in delay and WS mods are going to make them perform differently depending on your other gear.
 Gilgamesh.Jnumbahz
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Numbahz
By Gilgamesh.Jnumbahz 2010-04-22 09:28:23  
I was just thinking this over myself the last couple days as I have pretty much capped RNG and deciding what else to do with it and what to sell. I think overall bow is more consistant and sometimes in some end game events rng can only get 1-2 shots from mobs 18 ppl r attacking so the delay was something I considered also I merited 8/8 arch so it was a given.
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-22 09:42:49  
Boats n' hoes!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-22 09:46:11  
Sylph.Ixe said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
As a RNG, its useful to have every tool at your disposal. I try to carry around bow, xbow and gun. But sometimes the inventory space for ammo can get a little overwhelming.

sorry but i have to ask.. why? i mean unless you have capped archery and marksmanship why would you carry all 3 types?
If youre a RNG and dont have capped archery/marksmanship....
Then Imma just go Over there >.>
I agree I carry 2 Bows, 2 Xbows and a gun on my RNG usually
Phoenix.Lucasta said:
Ramuh.Ilvex said:

^ this
/agreee

you have capped archery and marksmanship merits because?
 Fairy.Basilo
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2010-04-22 09:52:15  
Sylph.Ixe said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
As a RNG, its useful to have every tool at your disposal. I try to carry around bow, xbow and gun. But sometimes the inventory space for ammo can get a little overwhelming.
sorry but i have to ask.. why? i mean unless you have capped archery and marksmanship why would you carry all 3 types?
If youre a RNG and dont have capped archery/marksmanship.... Then Imma just go Over there >.> I agree I carry 2 Bows, 2 Xbows and a gun on my RNG usually
Phoenix.Lucasta said:
Ramuh.Ilvex said:
^ this
/agreee

Stop adding the word "merits" there retard lol. Theyre just saying CAPPED SKILLS not capped and merrited. Whole thing you quoted doesnt include word "merits" anywhere, learn to read.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-22 09:58:02  
Fairy.Basilo said:
Sylph.Ixe said:
Asura.Jetzabel said:
If youre a RNG and dont have capped archery/marksmanship.... Then Imma just go Over there >.> I agree I carry 2 Bows, 2 Xbows and a gun on my RNG usually
Phoenix.Lucasta said:
Ramuh.Ilvex said:
^ this
/agreee

Stop adding the word "merits" there retard lol. Theyre just saying CAPPED SKILLS not capped and merrited. Whole thing you quoted doesnt include word "merits" anywhere, learn to read.

before you call someone a retard you should read all the posts from page one...
 Siren.Barber
サーバ: Siren
user: Barber
By Siren.Barber 2010-04-22 09:59:51  
1) Gun DOT is higher than bow. When you are doing the math don't forget to account for the static 2.8-2.9 seconds that both get after a shot. Standing in the sweet spot firing at a unmoving target and WS at 100%, HF will beat ebow 100 times out of 100. This has been done about a billion times on every forum and the math favors gun.

2) Distance penalty is over-rated. At max distance gun suffers from a 15% penalty while bow suffers from a 13% penalty. From 25' to 11' the ratios stay pretty close to this. At 10' bow does better. 0% penalty compared to 10% penalty for gun. But if you are standing at 10' you can be standing at 5.5' and not have the gun penalty so it really doesn't matter.

3) In a mixed setting when you are forced to WS at max melee range, gun gets a 15% penalty while bow is 30%.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8