It does with enough STR, that's the entire point
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:10:10  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
It does with enough STR, that's the entire point

No, it doesn't. That's the entire point. People use STR as the "Bow is better than Gun" trump point way too often. There are many merits to Bow over Gun, but the STR modifier on Sidewinder is not one of them. It's not 16% of your weapon skill added on. It's a lot less than that.
 Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Rumaha
By Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha 2010-04-22 17:11:52  
STR does more for Slug shot than Agi does even though there is no STR on mod list.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:12:08  
Quetzalcoatl.Rumaha said:
STR does more for Slug shot than Agi does even though there is no STR on mod list.

Someone who understands!

Same way STR does a lot more for a lot of weapon skills, rather than their modifiers.
 Fairy.Haxorking
サーバ: Fairy
user: Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:12:22  
With enough STR, sidewinder will do more damage than slugshot.

What you're saying is 100 + x will always be greater than 2x

But that's not true, what happens when x is 201 or greater?
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:14:49  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
With enough STR, sidewinder will do more damage than slugshot.

What you're saying is 100 x will always be greater than 2x

But that's not true, what happens when x is 201 or greater?

I'm not saying that. What tests have you done that makes you think a modifier has that big of an effect on Sidewinder? You know people /facepalm when they see a DRK prioritising MND on Guillotene. Know why? Because other stats attribute to much larger weapon skills than modifiers do. The only reason it's the "right thing to do" on RNG WS (stacking STR) is not because it's a modifier, but because RNG WSs are single hit; meaning as much STR as you can stack will have a very large effect on damage; Bow or Gun.

The STR modifier is not adding nearly as much damage as a modifier as you think. Throw the same high amount of STR on Slug Shot and Sidewinder and you will not see hugely different numbers.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:15:10  
The gear set I mentioned in my earlier post had enough str to
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:16:45  
The dmg calculations I was using earlier were real damage calculations vs greater colibri using the stats I mentioned in the post. The amount of str in that gear set bumped it beyond what it needed to surpass SS
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:16:59  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
The gear set I mentioned in my earlier post had enough str to

No it didn't. You're full of ***. Are you aware the more STR you add to weapon skills, the more STR you need to outperform Slug Shot? You have to use the same STR on Slug Shot to make it fair; you can't beef one up and not the other.

So adding more STR for Sidewinder; always use the same amount on Slug Shot. And guess what? You'll never get there. Slug Shot will always increase in damage as Sidewinder does. 16% modifier (it's not even 16% of your weapon skill) will never make up the growing distance.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:18:25  
What's the base dmg on each? I could tell you pretty much exactly how much str would be needed, then you guys could determine if rng can get that much str in gear.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:18:52  
I DID USE THE SAME STR ON BOTH
that's the thing
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:19:47  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
that's the thing

Then I'm lost for words. Either your maths fails, or you really do not understand how weapon skills work.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:21:40  
Ebow- Dmg:71 Ammo:Dmg 38 = 109
HF: Dmg: 42 Ammo: Dmg 81 = 123
veg

Obviously you're unsure how weaponskills work, I'm using VZY's spreadsheet for dmg calculations
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:22:17  
Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Fairy.Haxorking said:
that's the thing

Then I'm lost for words. Either your maths fails, or you really do not understand how weapon skills work.
As long as the str is the same on each, then the diff in DMG (amount, not %) will be the same.

For example, let's say we have 121 dmg w/ gun and 80 dmg w/ bow (not real but yea)

Let's add 2 str (fstr2 up by 1)

122 vs 81 =

121-80 = 41
122-81 = 41

Still only 41 diff. Could find out how much str you'd need for 16% mod to give you more than 42 or higher extra dmg and bow would win.

Again though, I'd need to see ws sets to tell you how much str would be needed to do that and if it's even possible to get enough to close the gap between the two.

Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:22:25  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
Obviously you're unsure how weaponskills work, I'm using VZY's spreadsheet for dmg calculations

I can't be bothered with this, you're as stubborn as a mule. Good day.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:23:08  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
veg

Would need to know agi amount for both ws, too, since it's a mod of both and not of an equal amount.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-22 17:27:26  
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
You guys act like a 5 hit build on E bow is impossible, it only takes 21 stp with /sam. ex: rajas, skadi, mekki, and rose is 21 on the nut, and you could swap skadi legs for hachi legs/feet for your ws giving it 24 stp. Where getting a 4 hit with HF you'd have to get 32 stp /sam, not feasible. I'd like to see your math on that setup.
You can actually get like 42 store tp on rng from gear alone. So yeah 32 isn't too hard
And how much acc/att/snapshot would you have to give up for it? Moot point if you ask me
It can be done with 0 snap shot loss. Acc may or may not be an issue but lets face it rng is the most accurate job out there. Assuming I did my math right tping in this

Should give you 76.9 tp in 3 hits. Which means you can take off all but the staff/grip rajas and 7 more stp worth of gear for ws. So you could keep skadi on. Or you could switch it for hachiryu with the feet and keep the neck on or find 2 somewhere it's not that hard
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:28:07  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
veg

Just going off 123 vs 109 as base

123-109 = 14

You'd need enough str to make 16% mod = 15 or higher dmg to win.

Can't do this as accurately w/o agi values, but going off str only

let's try 130

130 x .16 = 20.8~ 20 x .83 = 16.6~ 16.

If WSC for ranged ws is calculated the same way as WSC for melee ws, then 130 would pull winder ahead by 2 dmg to slug
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:29:37  
Stats:
Lv 75
Combat Skill: 285
Base STR: 69
Base Agi: 70
Food: Coeurl Subs
Minuet 3 + 4 Active
Chaos Roll 11 with drk active
1.25 DMG mod for colibri active
Velocity Shot Active
Ratk+17
STR+60
Agi+15

Sidewinder: 2354 to 2400
Slugshot: 2231 to 2277

That's still neglecting the agi, str, and ratk that ebow has over HF
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:32:56  
Veg, assume the base agi is 79 + 15
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-22 17:35:25  
If you evolith your HF it has more ratt on ws. Gun ws also have higher agi mods. Which should make you do slightly different ws builds if you want to maximize dmg. Oh and the racc might help you somewhere
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:37:42  
Yeah but that's also neglecting the agi and str on ebow,
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:41:59  
Now, this set isn't the best ws set for either weapon, nor does it mean ebow > HF.

The whole point of that entire calculation was to show two things. A) That Ebow sidewinder can beat out HF slugshot, and that ebow can beat out HF over all with certain gear sets.
 Asura.Hoshiku
サーバ: Asura
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2010-04-22 17:52:40  
Oblisk said:
Show up to Dark Ixion /sam tell me how that goes.

It went about the same as when I went /nin. After the primary tank went down I pulled hate and went to low hp, whm cured me and I lived. If you really want to pull hate on ixion, go /war. Luckily rng shoot just fine while in single weakness. Also as a general rule rangers try to stand a bit apart from each other and well away from cor, brd, and outside mages. Tank mages aren't an issue since they should be at a higher elevation. And you're right, novia won't do much if the tank is crap but it can help a lot in some situations.

edit: wow this thread got to six pages since i opened it a day ago x.x
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-22 19:22:48  
Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
No it didn't. You're full of ***. Are you aware the more STR you add to weapon skills, the more STR you need to outperform Slug Shot? You have to use the same STR on Slug Shot to make it fair; you can't beef one up and not the other.

So adding more STR for Sidewinder; always use the same amount on Slug Shot. And guess what? You'll never get there. Slug Shot will always increase in damage as Sidewinder does. 16% modifier (it's not even 16% of your weapon skill) will never make up the growing distance.
It's even worse than that really. Stat mods are lvl corrected so that 16% str mod is only adding .1328 to base dmg per str. Well from stat mod.

Now lets assume you are wssing in about 97 agi mostly cause it rounds nicely and is fairly easily acheivable while still focusing on str and ratt.

So that would mean that slugshot would have 4 more to base dmg from just the higher agi mod. Difference in the weapon +ammo is 14.

So just to make up the 18 base dmg difference you'd need to be wssing in 136 or more str. Is it possible to do so? Yes yes it is. But doing so would probably be semi HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE at least some of the time since say on greater colibri you'd cap fstr2 at 123 with Ebow and at 111 for HF. Now granted that means you would actually get to the same dmg at a lower str amount if you were HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE and kept adding str on HF when it is litterally only adding to ratt lol
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 19:53:00  
Dasva, the whole point was simply is it possible for Ebow to ever beat HF+1 in terms of DoT and pure weaponskill damage. Whether doing so is a good idea or not was never the point, the point was if it was possible or not. And it is lol
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8