Archery: 118.88 DPS
Marksmanship: 114.97

Ebow still wins
 Ramuh.Ilvex
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Ilvex
By Ramuh.Ilvex 2010-04-22 16:42:38  
Just wondering, I've asked some other rangers on my server and they say generally win over e/v bow but what do the rest of you think about this?

http://www.ffxiah.com/screenshots.php?id=39536
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 16:43:08  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
With velocity shot, totals come to

Archery: 118.88 DPS
Marksmanship: 114.97

Ebow still wins

And that's why you're completely wrong. DPS should never, ever, ever, ever be used to compare weapons. It's an irrelevant superfluous stat that does not reflect anything; least of all its or your DoT.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 16:44:05  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
in that case, velocity shot fails lol. If it doesn't affect all your delay (including time between shots).

Sux to be rng.

It does. It affects the shooting time and the reshoot time. There's still the hard cap to reshoot on all weapons though, delay disregarded.
 Fairy.Haxorking
サーバ: Fairy
user: Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 16:49:23  
DPS is the only way to compare a weapons overall damage, if you compare anything else it's just spike dmg.

Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 16:50:00  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
DPS is the only way to compare a weapons overall damage, if you compare anything else it's just spike dmg.

Forgive me. My ignorance must offend you.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 16:51:17  
How else could you compare weapons?
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: goose11
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-04-22 16:51:36  
Siren.Barber said:
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
You guys act like a 5 hit build on E bow is impossible, it only takes 21 stp with /sam. ex: rajas, skadi, mekki, and rose is 21 on the nut, and you could swap skadi legs for hachi legs/feet for your ws giving it 24 stp.

Where getting a 4 hit with HF you'd have to get 32 stp /sam, not feasible.

I'd like to see your math on that setup.

Hachi legs? Do you mean the SAM JSE that ranger can't wear? Because Serameya drops don't have STP.....

Regardless, it doesn't matter because 5 hit for ebow ( 37)is just as easily attained on obow ( 32).

ebow kabura is 109 damage at 490 delay
obow drk steel is 104 damage at 432 delay.

Axe grip for rose strap makes up the str difference from ebow. 5 base damage is trumped by 58 points of delay and that's BEFORE acid bolts.

Archery is just in a bad place. not that the argument even matters because Dragonmaw completely decimates every other bow, gun, and xbow.
Ok sorry you lost all credibility for not knowing rng can wear hachiryu legs and feet, its only the holy grail of rng legs lol. Plus the hachiryu set gives store tp, 10 as a matter of fact, for having 2 pieces on.
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 16:55:23  
DPS presumes all you do is shoot bullets or arrows all the time. It's the presumed damage a second that is not actually remotely close to how much damage you're doing. Same goes for all melee weapons as well. Ranger's have weapon skills and in merit parties they'll use them as soon as they reach 100. Delay, store TP, etc, all come into how quickly you WS. DPS does not factor this in.

And you've already displayed your inability to understand how delay and STP factors into different weapons, so I have no desire to go there again. DPS on it's own is just the presumed (aka, the 'formulated') damage you'll do with a weapon. It has no relativity to reality or practical implication because there are way too many factors that modify your DoT.

And DoT is how you test weapons. Go and parse yourself in merit parties, on NMs, etc. Do some tests of your own instead of "counting" which is better or worse.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-22 16:56:35  
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
You guys act like a 5 hit build on E bow is impossible, it only takes 21 stp with /sam.

ex: rajas, skadi, mekki, and rose is 21 on the nut, and you could swap skadi legs for hachi legs/feet for your ws giving it 24 stp.

Where getting a 4 hit with HF you'd have to get 32 stp /sam, not feasible. I'd like to see your math on that setup.
You can actually get like 42 store tp on rng from gear alone. So yeah 32 isn't too hard
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 16:57:03  
They're both ranged weapons, shoot from the same distance, neither has any real special benefits above the other besides ammo cost, which has nothing to do with DD. Other than that the only other impact is spike dmg and the different range effectiveness. We threw out distance as a real factor a long time ago, as for spike dmg, well in this comparison Ebow had higher sidewindwers so ebow still wins
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-04-22 16:58:26  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
You guys act like a 5 hit build on E bow is impossible, it only takes 21 stp with /sam.

ex: rajas, skadi, mekki, and rose is 21 on the nut, and you could swap skadi legs for hachi legs/feet for your ws giving it 24 stp.

Where getting a 4 hit with HF you'd have to get 32 stp /sam, not feasible. I'd like to see your math on that setup.
You can actually get like 42 store tp on rng from gear alone. So yeah 32 isn't too hard
And how much acc/att/snapshot would you have to give up for it? Moot point if you ask me
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 16:59:48  
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:

And how much acc/att/snapshot would you have to give up for it? Moot point if you ask me

Providing the higher WS frequency makes up for the lost damage on TP phase, it'd be feasible. I can't see that happening personally (since the majority of RNG's DoT comes from TPing - most 5 hit builds will do more damage in those 5 hits than in the WS), I wouldn't say it's impossible.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:00:04  
No Aeyela, that's not the calculation I did

The calculation I did was the total damage in 1 weaponskill cycle over the the time it took to complete the entire cycle.

That includes everything other than barrage
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:01:40  
Fairy.Haxorking said:

The calculation I did was the total damage in 1 weaponskill cycle over the the time it took to complete the entire cycle.

So? I don't care about calculations. Calculations are estimations. All the tests I've done and all the tests I've read on forums show parse results, circumstances, target, etc. I'm sorry but I'm basically saying all you're doing is calculating your results, not actually producing them. =\
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:02:10  
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
No...

Gun Bullet = much higher base damage vs Bow Arrow

Base DMG has a HUGE effect on weaponskills...which, as pointed out, is not included in DPS.

I prefered the Taru COR in your avatar. =P
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:03:19  
Lakshmi.Aeyela said:
Fairy.Haxorking said:

So? I don't care about calculations. Calculations are estimations. All the tests I've done and all the tests I've read on forums show parse results, circumstances, target, etc. I'm sorry but I'm basically saying all you're doing is calculating your results, not actually producing them. =\
Math > parses or anything else, provided the math is done correctly.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:03:21  
Also missing the point... Actually read the post >> The sidewinder dmg is higher in that situation because the gear set is all str... Sidwinder has ws mods of Agi and STR while slug shot only has a ws mod of Agi... By piling on only str and no agi, sidewinder does more dmg.
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-04-22 17:03:31  
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
No...

Gun Bullet = much higher base damage vs Bow Arrow

Base DMG has a HUGE effect on weaponskills...which, as pointed out, is not included in DPS.
The mods for the two ws's arent even the same, guns have higher dmg but bows have a str mod. Can't focus on one aspect of the ws's
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-04-22 17:04:10  
Fairy.Haxorking said:
Also missing the point... Actually read the post >> The sidewinder dmg is higher in that situation because the gear set is all str... Sidwinder has ws mods of Agi and STR while slug shot only has a ws mod of Agi... By piling on only str and no agi, sidewinder does more dmg.
beat me to it! lol
 Carbuncle.Caitlin
By Carbuncle.Caitlin 2010-04-22 17:05:37  
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
STR has a massive effect on both Slug Shot and Sidewinder.

Same goes for all ranged WS...
It does, but sidewinder has str as an actual modifier, do you know what that is?
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:05:43  
Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
STR has a massive effect on both Slug Shot and Sidewinder.

Same goes for all ranged WS...
Yea, but not the same effect on each, which is the point I think was being made.
 Fairy.Haxorking
By Fairy.Haxorking 2010-04-22 17:06:07  
Yes, but str has more effect on sidewinder than it does slug shot. The more str you pile on the better sidewinder is compared to SS
 Lakshmi.Aeyela
By Lakshmi.Aeyela 2010-04-22 17:07:30  
Carbuncle.Caitlin said:
The mods for the two ws's arent even the same, guns have higher dmg but bows have a str mod. Can't focus on one aspect of the ws's

The calculations for Slug Shot and Sidewinder are the same, the base damage will be the same for both weapon skills. Only at the point where modifiers are added on will the STR bonus on Sidewinder be taken into account... Which is nowhere near as much as people seem to think. It's only a %age increase at the end of the calculation... Same with AGI on Slug Shot.

The STR itself contributing to the WS base will do the exact same thing for both Weapon Skills. So the weapon skill damage for both WS's won't be as different as you're implying. The base damage between the Bow and Gun with their ammo is quite a significant difference; and the STR Modifier is not making up for anywhere near as much as people believe.

Mytoy is completely right on this subject, that STR modifier is not producing "significantly higher" weapon skills. Bluntly put any RNG using any weapon should be stacking as much STR as they can on their WSs - regardless of their mods.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-22 17:07:45  
Definitely not, just saying that bow gets a higher % increase from str than gun does.

I'm just saying this separate, not going w/ anything that haxor is saying.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8