Rest in Piss Mobile XI
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-17 08:58:44  
Asura.Kusare said: »
arr story was pretty bad, even for an mmo. thankfully it's gotten a lot better since then.
You mean the original ARR story? Or the Story from the "end" of ARR leading to HW? Or everything together?
I keep getting that people loved HW, for some reason I found it incredibly boring.
Full of characters that I couldn't care about, they were dying and I was "oh yeah, so what?" with NPCs feeling destroyed by the loss and me feeling nothing.
The story was so contrived, full of what I perceived as stretches back then, lots of eyes rolling and a boring dragon so angry, yawn.
I liked some parts a lot of course, won't deny that, it's just that for the most part it felt like I was stuck in a side-story, instead of continuing the "main" plot started with ARR.
This is no surprise, after all originally HW was meant to be the last patch of ARR, but then it got expanded and trasformed into an expansion of its own.

The original ARR story was great to me, it's just that it was way too full of side stuff to slow you down, too much watered down so that they could artificially make it longer.
I guess to a certain extent this is the problem of ALL the expansions though, even Shadowbringers (which overall I found to be pretty cool, I was honestly impressed actually)
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-17 09:07:24  
Asura.Sechs said: »
it's just that it was way too full of side stuff to slow you down
It's even worse now that you have to completely clear Crystal Tower just to finish ARR.
 Asura.Kusare
user: gaira
By Asura.Kusare 2020-12-17 09:08:22  
the quests leading up to titan stand out as particularly bad in arr, and yes all of the 2.x patches were designed to annoy rather than tell a good story imo.

i played recently since they have cut out many of the arr quests and it is much better than it was, i will say.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-17 09:10:36  
Asura.Kusare said: »
yes all of the 2.x patches were designed to annoy rather than tell a good story imo.
I felt that they more setup the later storylines than tell a story or annoy imo.

I also get the feeling that SE sometimes forget about certain plot points they made in the .1+ storylines. Like how they were doing Warrior of Darkness storyline in 3.1-3.3 but forgot about it until it became the main story in 5.0.
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-12-17 10:55:02  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I also get the feeling that SE sometimes forget about certain plot points they made in the .1+ storylines. Like how they were doing Warrior of Darkness storyline in 3.1-3.3 but forgot about it until it became the main story in 5.0.

Isn't that kind of how they handle XIV's MSQ though?

I didn't play 1.x, but, I know Ishgard was already established in lore, and visible as a place you couldn't yet go. The story didn't get there until Heavensward. Post-ARR missions established or built on characters and conflicts that would be the basis for Stormblood, but again, left in the background for a major plot arc.
That Warriors of Darkness subplot served to do much the same thing post-HW, adding to the foundation that Shadowbringers would later be built on. It did "conclude" in 3.4, but left a main character out of play to come back to.

Generally, XIV has not created major plot arcs out of nowhere. At the very least, it's seemed a lot more plotted-out than a lot of XI's story was post-CoP (at least).
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-17 11:09:55  
Leviathan.Isiolia said: »

Isn't that kind of how they handle XIV's MSQ though?

I didn't play 1.x, but, I know Ishgard was already established in lore, and visible as a place you couldn't yet go. The story didn't get there until Heavensward. Post-ARR missions established or built on characters and conflicts that would be the basis for Stormblood, but again, left in the background for a major plot arc.
That Warriors of Darkness subplot served to do much the same thing post-HW, adding to the foundation that Shadowbringers would later be built on. It did "conclude" in 3.4, but left a main character out of play to come back to.

Generally, XIV has not created major plot arcs out of nowhere. At the very least, it's seemed a lot more plotted-out than a lot of XI's story was post-CoP (at least).
As I said before, Ishgard was originally meant to the latest megapatch of 2.x series.
Through the course of 2.x updates they clearly changed their plans and made that patch into a stand alone expansion called Heavensward, period.

I guess this might be part of the reason why to me it always felt like it was a sidestory, a deviation, a pause from the MSQ progression that started with ARR (Ascian Stuff, Empire stuff etc)
It's not that HW in itself was bad, aside from the bad translations issues (that are covered in several youtube videos if you're curious), but it truly felt like I was doing a filler content of sorts that was pretty cool, but back then all I wanted was to skip forward so I could get to the next part where the MSQ starts again.
Not sure if I manage to express the feeling I had back then lol
[+]
Administrator
By Rooks 2020-12-17 12:25:59  
Getting pretty far afield here, y'all.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
user: aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-17 12:32:08  
FFXI mobile topic leads to FFXI offline topic leads to FFXIV topic leads to Star Wars reference meme:

The cycle is complete (but this thread will still hit 70 pages).

It's sad that FFXI Mobile is cancelled, but I have played a port of a basic MMO on my phone and, while it works for basic things, I can't see myself ever wanting to play FFXI on a mobile device VS sitting in a comfy chair and playing it on a large screen with a full-sized keyboard. MAYBE if there had been no additional monthly fees (there would have been) for the client AND the upgrades graphics (from what I saw of the "leaked" image) would have even fit on my phone without needing to buy extra storage space to even install the game... THEN maybe it would have been... a way to log in to do your dailies.

Oh, and IF there was some exclusive (here we go with the cash-grab) items you could earn from playing mobile that you could use in vanilla, that would have maybe got some players to play, but they still havn't added any viable (other than maybe lockstyle) rewards from SO MANY abandoned FFXI ideas already. Pankration, Monstrosity, and even synergy etching all could have at least had SOME kind of reward.

Don't even get me started on my abandoned Clamming that needs some sort of unique SOMETHING added.

We know it would have been a cash-grab though and I'm not too heartbroken.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-17 13:18:13  
I apologize, anyway to get back in topic.

I don't know if it's even feasible, but it would be nice if SE could get the assets developed so far by Nexon and use them to start developing an offline version of FFXI.
Wet dream of mine.
Not for now, I'm thinking about the future, like 10 years from now.

I think SE will do something.
Ok we have private servers but those are not official.
SE is pretty anal when it comes to numbered FFs. No way they're gonna let FFXI disappear into nothingness, making so people can't play it anymore once servers are closed.
I'm confident they will do something, whatever it will be.

And I think this "something" will not be "leave one server open forever".
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-17 14:29:58  
They will get on it as soon as they remake FFVI.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-17 14:53:33  
I'm confident they will do something, whatever it will be.

And I think this "something" will not be "leave one server open forever".

Honestly, it this game wasn't part of the numbered series, it would have been killed maybe 12~24 months after 'Rhapsodies of Vana'diel'.

Things SquareEnix are kicking themselves for:
1. FFXI Mobile entirely.
2. Having XI be part of the numbered series.
3. Committing to monthly digest videos.
4. Making Ambuscade and monthly deeds so high maintenance where they have to adjust every single month into the future until they shut the game down (or Ambuscade/Deeds get a serious revamp in how rewards/foes/objectives are handled... which I 100% TOTALLY see coming at some point due directly to the high maintenance of swapping them out so often).

The four above things make 11 more of a pain-in-the-*** for them than it really needs to be. To Asura.Sechs' point quoted above, if it were not for the things I listed, they really could just have let the game stagnate/die/leave a server open with hardly any cost to them because:

It doesn't make sense that they are still doing weird things like promoting the game in Japan (that weird cafe thing they did that someone posted screenshots of drink coasters with FFXI art on them and random swag they were giving out). Their use of staff to do let's plays every so often under the guise of attracting new players.

Obviously they care, but to what end? I mean for f***'s sake. TO WHAT END? I really wish they would give out those 3~6 month road maps that they used to.

Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-17 15:13:25  
Asura.Aeonova said: »
Honestly, it this game wasn't part of the numbered series, it would have been killed maybe 12~24 months after 'Rhapsodies of Vana'diel'.
Agreed...

Quote:
To Asura.Sechs' point quoted above, if it were not for the things I listed, they really could just have let the game stagnate/die/leave a server open with hardly any cost to them because:
I sorta agree but I think there's more than 4 reason, and I think population would eventually reduce to a point where it doesn't "print money" anymore.
Eventually, that will happen I'm afraid.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-12-17 15:37:08  
SE is pretty anal when it comes to numbered FFs. No way they're gonna let FFXI disappear into nothingness, making so people can't play it anymore once servers are closed.

They did exactly that with XIV 1.x, so it wouldn't be without precedent.

There'd also be the notion of previous eras of XI, and previous machines they supported. If you want to go back to 75 cap playing on PS2, that's not something SE is ever going to offer.

Realistically, when the servers go dark, it's unlikely players are going to be able to play this game officially. I'd agree that it's likely we'll see something else with FFXI in the title, but it probably won't attempt to be a faithful recreation of what the game is now.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-12-17 15:53:27  
They did exactly that with XIV 1.x, so it wouldn't be without precedent.
No they didn't.
FFXIV is still out there and playable.
It's not the same old game ok, but that's another story. If you're looking with the Final Fantasy numbered 14, you can play it.
See what I mean?
Go check their interview, no way they're gonna let a numbered FF not playable in the future, once the servers will be closed.

I'm truly sure they're gonna do something about it, whatever it will be.

Quote:
but it probably won't attempt to be a faithful recreation of what the game is now.
Oh yeah, but an offline version wouldn't be either, now would it?
Still better than nothing though.
 Leviathan.Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2020-12-17 16:27:36  
FFXIV is still out there and playable.
It's not the same old game ok, but that's another story. If you're looking with the Final Fantasy numbered 14, you can play it.
See what I mean?

You can, but it's effectively a sequel to a game you can no longer play. They could easily do the same thing with XI. So, sure, I agree, they'll probably wind up with something with the XI name on it (and it could even be great!), but whether you'd actually be able to play the existing storylines n' stuff would be less of a given.
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Idiot Boy 2020-12-17 16:32:53  
You can, but it's effectively a sequel to a game you can no longer play
This is the only tragic part of 1.x being gone.

they'll probably wind up with something with the XI name on it (and it could even be great!)
That's exactly what I always assumed the Nexon game was attempting to be. The notion that it was going to keep your character was always ridiculous (for a whole host of reasons) and why people thought that was a given I'll never understand.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-17 16:37:37  
SquareEnix DOES love to repurpose their old Final Fantasy games on different hardware / newer systems. Maybe the only franchise that does it more is Nintendo with Mario.

There are a LOT of versions of Final Fantasy IV out there and then when you include multiple languages and v1.1 releases... it gets crazy. Oh, and then fan-translations and restorations. Whew!
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-12-17 16:38:06  
Idiot Boy said: »
they'll probably wind up with something with the XI name on it (and it could even be great!)
That's exactly what I always assumed the Nexon game was attempting to be. The notion that it was going to keep your character was always ridiculous (for a whole host of reasons) and why people thought that was a given I'll never understand.

Best I ever saw happening with connecting the existing FFXI to a potential mobile FFXI was possibly "linking" your two accounts, and achievements in the mobile version MIGHT be similar to monthly RoEs. Port that direction, not TO the mobile.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-17 16:43:18  
Calling it. We just gave them idea of a Chocobo Amibo-like device you click daily like the Security Token key fob for daily Chocobo Points.

Actually, I would be way more into this than needing to log into a mobile game version of this for whatever daily reward they could have come up with.

Oooh, cutting production costs with a daily Chocobo Points app.

This is not the worst idea that I've ever had.

Actually, I would seriously pay if they had something like this to make Chocobo raising quicker. Many people ignore/forget/never even raised a chocobo, but aside from completing SoA coalitions to max rank, I think Chocobo raising from egg to completion is one of the longest time-gated projects in the game.

Now I want a Pocketstation Chocobo point app!

[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-12-17 19:04:47  
I miss when we got road maps...

Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-12-17 19:32:12  
Remember Final Fantasy Mythic Quest?

Yeah, nobody remembers that game.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-12-17 19:42:46  
Remember Final Fantasy Mythic Quest?

Yeah, nobody remembers that game.

Mystic*

best boss music ever

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-17 19:49:10  
Here you go. Now you won't be let down in 2021.

Edit: Called it.

[+]
By Draylo 2020-12-17 19:51:41  
So just to be curious, do they create remasters and niche games because they want to express themselves artistically? Why doesn't every company try to copy the annoying games like Fortnite and Amoogus to please the gen z crowd? I've seen it thrown around a lot that FFXI would be a waste of time and not profitable to remaster or do anything drastic, but SE does it all the time for older games and IP that have made much less overall money than XI.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-17 20:02:47  
Draylo said: »
So just to be curious, do they create remasters and niche games because they want to express themselves artistically?

I literally was thinking that yesterday when reading their list of titles like:

Final Fantasy Agito.
Dissidia Final Fantasy Opera Omnia.
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius.
Mobius Final Fantasy.
Final Fantasy duodecim.
Fabula Nova Crystallis subseries.

Agito Omnia Exvius Mobius Duodecim Fabula! You know!? Like regular people talk... when they aren't trying to summon a demon.

[+]
 Leviathan.Pve
user: zsky
By Leviathan.Pve 2020-12-18 16:25:40  
I know I am late to the party here.

My dream is a new prequel - maybe go back to time of Ranperre King era or sequel FFXI 100 years later (uses Vana'diel lore - kinda like how FF12 and FFT works together).

Keep the same battle mechanics, fix crafting and make assets look more modern, but if it just looks like FFXIV graphics, fine.

Or 2022 announcement could be related to the ending of Voracious Resurgence and pull a server bomb ala Bahamut's Calamity from FFXIV's 1.0 to reborn 2.0 and we all time travel through cait sith / atomos to a new dimension/timeline.

Basically, keep Vanadiel but give us new story/quests. I think most of us are done with current FFXI's Age of Adventurers era.

This ain't 100% happening however but it's what I would've liked to see imo.
[+]
 Asura.Aeonova
By Asura.Aeonova 2020-12-18 17:24:00  
They have multiple games set in Ivalice. It wouldn't be a giant stretch to think that they wouldn't release something major in the world of Vana'diel. Fa'diel is the name of the world at least some of the "Mana" series games take place in.

Neat idea.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2020-12-18 17:30:39  
Leviathan.Pve said: »
Or 2022 announcement could be related to the ending of Voracious Resurgence and pull a server bomb ala Bahamut's Calamity from FFXIV's 1.0 to reborn 2.0 and we all time travel through cait sith / atomos to a new dimension/timeline.
Something like that could be cool. Even if the server bombs us into an offline game. Sending us to when the nations were at war with one another would be a lot cooler offline where they wouldn't shove PvP down our throats.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-12-21 14:53:21  
Draylo said: »
So just to be curious, do they create remasters and niche games because they want to express themselves artistically? Why doesn't every company try to copy the annoying games like Fortnite and Amoogus to please the gen z crowd? I've seen it thrown around a lot that FFXI would be a waste of time and not profitable to remaster or do anything drastic, but SE does it all the time for older games and IP that have made much less overall money than XI.

In the games industry there's actually a pretty good reason why this happens, and it's a familiar concept from good ol' Business Management 101: diversification.

The conception of "small business = artistic, large business = risk-averse" is generally true, but Square-Enix still has an incentive to try new things and expand their reach. A few reasons:

• The company has a brand image to maintain, and they don't want to pigeonhole themselves into being exactly "those Final Fantasy guys"

• Big Japanese studios like Square-Enix usually have a number of in-house development teams working in parallel, each working on a different project. This allows them to branch out and tap into different audience subpopulations of the larger gaming audience, so they can have multiple revenue streams that don't rely on each other. For example, if Final Fantasy 16 comes out and is a financial bust, it won't sink the company, because they still have other revenue streams (like Nier, Dragon Quest, FF4 remakes) that don't depend on the success of Final Fantasy 16

• Funding weird, creative games is an example of a low-cost, high-EV venture. If you decide to give a crazy idea a chance, you don't lose a whole lot of money, but you stand to benefit TREMENDOUSLY if that idea catches on. Basically, "unicorn hunting." It doesn't happen often, which is why it doesn't see as big an investment as the core teams, but the EV is generally worth it to invest strategically. A great example is Capcom... their bread and butter (no pun intended) is Street Fighter, but they decided to invest in a strange little game called Gyakuten Saiban (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney), and they hit the jackpot. Enough to make the Ace Attorney concept a fully realized IP, which is still profitable to them

I pretty much hate the AAA games industry for a general lack of creativity, but strictly speaking, there is a reason why the entire industry isn't completely homogenous. Artistic intent isn't a first-order principle for a megacorporation, but the corporation still stands to benefit from exploiting artistic intent from ambitious employees as a matter of strategic investment.

"Don't put all your eggs in one basket," etc.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9