users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » [Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
[Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-18 12:39:43  
Qultada is significantly worse than any Roll only cor for at least a half dozen reasons i could fire off. You compare a roll-only cor to him because that's literally the only reason to summon him. There isn't any dps trust that can contribute as meaningfully as Qultada.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:42:14  
Asura.Tawhoya said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Shiva.Eightball said: »
This is my point, people seem to expect job perfection from a returning player before they can do anything even when it’s old content...
Not job perfection, but contributing player.

A rolls-only COR isn't contributing as much as a trust does. If you cannot contribute more than a trust, why should I bring you? Especially since the healer has another job they can use to contribute to the party more than a trust would who would instead take your spot.

You may call me elitist, but honestly, if you aren't going to at least attempt to contribute to the party, why should I bother helping you when you are 99% likely to leave the game when you get to the first real wall in gearing up?

With BRD, RDM turst I agree 100%, but cor trust is really bad. With a ROCOR you can at least get boosted buffs, longer duration, sleeps/dispel, and a puller... the bad part about them is, if unfamiliar with fights, they die a lot more.
You are giving rolls-only CORs more benefit than they deserve. If they are going to give out boosted/longer duration buffs, or have cards for Quick Draw, or even pulling, they wouldn't be a rolls-only COR.

A rolls-only COR is literally bottom of the barrel, 2nd only to a completely naked COR. You shouldn't even expect them to have emp-gear for specific rolls, or even all of the rolls themselves.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 12:43:54  
This is my point, people seem to expect job perfection from a returning player before they can do anything even when it’s old content...

A rolls-only COR isn't contributing as much as a trust does. If you cannot contribute more than a trust, why should I bring you? Especially since the healer has another job they can use to contribute to the party more than a trust would who would instead take your spot.

You may call me elitist, but honestly, if you aren't going to at least attempt to contribute to the party, why should I bother helping you when you are 99% likely to leave the game when you get to the first real wall in gearing up?

With BRD, RDM turst I agree 100%, but cor trust is really bad. With a ROCOR you can at least get boosted buffs, longer duration, sleeps/dispel, and a puller... the bad part about them is, if unfamiliar with fights, they die a lot more.
You are giving rolls-only CORs more benefit than they deserve. If they are going to give out boosted/longer duration buffs, or have cards for Quick Draw, or even pulling, they wouldn't be a rolls-only COR.

A rolls-only COR is literally bottom of the barrel, 2nd only to a completely naked COR. You shouldn't even expect them to have emp-gear for specific rolls, or even all of the rolls themselves.

Fine then, we can re-label it as non-DD cor.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:43:59  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Qultada is significantly worse than any Roll only cor for at least a half dozen reasons i could fire off. You compare a roll-only cor to him because that's literally the only reason to summon him. There isn't any dps trust that can contribute as meaningfully as Qultada.
I wouldn't even use that trust even to replace a rolls-only COR.

Shanttoto II is much better in terms of damage output (magic and skillchaining/magic bursting) than Qultada.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:45:19  

Fine then, we can re-label it as non-DD cor.
Now you are moving the goalposts.

Might as well say a non-melee COR.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-18 12:45:41  
Direct damage output, yes. But given that Chaos roll is going to significantly increase YOUR damage (which is what matters), it's more than whatever Shantotto 2 could deal.
[+]
By Afania 2020-09-18 12:46:14  
And if the person needing the gear has neither of those?
It's simple: Level a job that can contribute that doesn't require the gears you need from the event you are trying to contribute to.

WHM is the prime example of "getting your foot into the door for any and all groups".

Afania said: »

If you have a "helpful LS", they will let you leech on a different job too. Since they can probably solo or lowman low tier content. If I'm gonna help someone get a T1 gear, it doesn't matter what job that they come, I can kill mobs regardless. Jobs like geo, brd or roll only cor helps, but they are not necessary. They can come afk SAM and the difference won't be huge.

So, lv a job just to leech when established players dont really care what job that you leech on isnt the best use of time in a game.

Yes this is true, but if it were me as the “leech” I would much rather come on a job that contributes SOMETHING even if it’s just a few key buffs that make things easier instead of “hey go sit in the corner while I do everything”

If that's the case then why cor? A naked RDM can cast dia3 and haste 2 and contribute something. A new BLU can AOE MG on important fight. A new drk can pop circles on omen boss, new THF can proc TH, new DNC can step, and naked Sam adds avg of 6.6 stp to rolls...etc. Surely most job can contribute something*

Why do they have to lv brand new job just to ditch them later when they could come whatever their main is?

But the difference in my scenario is that I wasn't leeching, I was contributing to the best of my abilities. Granted this was before Kaja/Naeg so COR DD wasn't as easy as it is now, but it's still a viable job to bring and contribute. It taught me what rolls to use for what scenarios as well as how different fights work. And get this: we had fun! Isn't that what games are about?

Wasn't saying that roll only cor can't contribute, only been saying that "lv X job to gear Y job" isn't fun.

If you have fun getting gears while playing new cor, then go for it. But if someone else's favorite job is Sam, drk, blu, RDM etc why can't they just leech on these jobs instead? It's not like they add so much contribution by leveling the job to 99 naked and uses +5 roll.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:50:19  
Direct damage output, yes. But given that Chaos roll is going to significantly increase YOUR damage (which is what matters), it's more than whatever Shantotto 2 could deal.
In the situations presented here, aren't you generally attack capped anyway?

I mean, sure, you could make the point of "solo with 4 trusts" and have the rolls-only COR helping out would be better than have "solo with 5 trusts" would. But those are rare and with the playerbase being mulit-boxers, doesn't apply much, if at all.

To be honest, I think we are all getting off tangent.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 12:51:10  
And if the person needing the gear has neither of those?
It's simple: Level a job that can contribute that doesn't require the gears you need from the event you are trying to contribute to.

WHM is the prime example of "getting your foot into the door for any and all groups".

If you have a "helpful LS", they will let you leech on a different job too. Since they can probably solo or lowman low tier content. If I'm gonna help someone get a T1 gear, it doesn't matter what job that they come, I can kill mobs regardless. Jobs like geo, brd or roll only cor helps, but they are not necessary. They can come afk SAM and the difference won't be huge.

So, lv a job just to leech when established players dont really care what job that you leech on isnt the best use of time in a game.

Yes this is true, but if it were me as the “leech” I would much rather come on a job that contributes SOMETHING even if it’s just a few key buffs that make things easier instead of “hey go sit in the corner while I do everything”

If that's the case then why cor? A naked RDM can cast dia3 and haste 2 and contribute something. A new BLU can AOE MG on important fight. A new drk can pop circles on omen boss, new THF can proc TH, new DNC can step, and naked Sam adds avg of 6.6 stp to rolls...etc. Surely most job can contribute something*

Why do they have to lv brand new job just to ditch them later when they could come whatever their main is?

But the difference in my scenario is that I wasn't leeching, I was contributing to the best of my abilities. Granted this was before Kaja/Naeg so COR DD wasn't as easy as it is now, but it's still a viable job to bring and contribute. It taught me what rolls to use for what scenarios as well as how different fights work. And get this: we had fun! Isn't that what games are about?

Wasn't saying that roll only cor can't contribute, only been saying that "lv X job to gear Y job" isn't fun.

If you have fun getting gears while playing new cor, then go for it. But if someone else's favorite job is Sam, drk, blu, RDM etc why can't they just leech on these jobs instead? It's not like they add so much contribution by leveling the job to 99 naked and uses +5 roll.

Because cor can be a great DD with a lot of investment, but the initial bar to contribute is low. The OP was specifically asking about DDs and cor can break into a lot of content before being top tier DD which is a lot tougher for DD only jobs, you can gradually become that great DD while still getting into content.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-18 12:52:37  
I guess I was assuming that a person who takes the time to create a thread about best entry DD, like the OP, would be willing to spend the time to get the spells, AF/relic/emp gear to be able to participate in "end game" fights. If you're assuming that a new player pays to 99, then wants to spam Omen, then yeah I see your point(s).
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:53:46  
The OP was specifically asking about DDs and cor can break into a lot of content before being top tier DD which is a lot tougher for DD only jobs, you can gradually become that great DD while still getting into content.
Yes, with effort.

Meaning doing more than just having rolls and a +5 ring. AKA a rolls-only COR.

As stated before, a COR can get gear without having/needing a group to get it for them for them to actually contribute to the fight.
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-18 12:55:03  
In the situations presented here, aren't you generally attack capped anyway?

I mean, sure, you could make the point of "solo with 4 trusts" and have the rolls-only COR helping out would be better than have "solo with 5 trusts" would. But those are rare and with the playerbase being mulit-boxers, doesn't apply much, if at all.

To be honest, I think we are all getting off tangent.

Tangent for sure lol. But the really good roll for those fights is SAM. Also, ROCOR or non-melee? idk anymore COR is what you want for pet job pts anyway.
By Afania 2020-09-18 13:00:09  
Because cor can be a great DD with a lot of investment, but the initial bar to contribute is low. The OP was specifically asking about DDs and cor can break into a lot of content before being top tier DD which is a lot tougher for DD only jobs, you can gradually become that great DD while still getting into content.

"Play COR" isn't the only way to break into content.

Returning players:

Pick an ambu weapon friendly DD job => Sell mars orb for gil => pay for ambu VD win and use seals => get ambu gears and play the job.

Screw all the "level X job to gear Y job". It's a game, play what you like.

If you don't like cor, even unlocking the job and level it to 99 is a waste of time. Nevermind the "it feels bad" emotions occurred while begging for a pt invite(and get rejected) as a roll only cor.

With this method you can gear up an endgame ready DD faster than finishing a TP bonus gun.

Once they farmed a naeg/TP bonus for invite pretty soon they will find that LS asks for DP/rostam/shooting set etc etc. Then it becomes an endless Gil hole.

All these time can be invested into something like REMA for another DD.

If Sam is my favorite job, I want every second of my time spend on getting Sam gears, not a different job just to leech.

There is only one best answer whenever people ask "what DD should I play". The answer has always been "play whatever you like or feel it's the coolest"
[+]
 Asura.Friedrik
user: Friedrik
By Asura.Friedrik 2020-09-18 13:16:23  
You're on Asura, the answer is swipe your credit card and play anything you want after you buy your way to master and max gear + clears
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 13:29:43  
"Play COR" isn't the only way to break into content.

No it is not, but given the OP said all DDs on the table it is my recommendation for the reasons I mentioned and it is fun, if they don’t wanna play it they for sure can play anything else.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 13:56:04  
Asura.Friedrik said: »
You're on Asura, the answer is swipe your credit card and play anything you want after you buy your way to master and max gear + clears
Not everyone is Vise.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-09-18 14:45:42  
Returning players:

Pick an ambu weapon friendly DD job => Sell mars orb for gil => pay for ambu VD win and use seals => get ambu gears and play the job.

Screw all the "level X job to gear Y job". It's a game, play what you like.

If you don't like cor, even unlocking the job and level it to 99 is a waste of time. Nevermind the "it feels bad" emotions occurred while begging for a pt invite(and get rejected) as a roll only cor.

You should play what you like, but let's be realistic with new players/returners and just say it- you will struggle to find people who want to play with you if you are DD-only. And personally I'm reluctant to play with people who don't share the support or tanking burden. Even if they are well geared, way beyond the level OP is at. If you aren't flexible then you aren't contributing fully and you are forcing those roles onto others.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-18 19:26:12  
Asura.Sirris said: »
personally I'm reluctant to play with people who don't share the support or tanking burden

And I don't even know why tanking/support is now viewed as a burden. RDM and RUN, imo when played right, is fulfilling/engaging and not a burden at all. idk why in this game we view it as such.
[+]
By Afania 2020-09-18 20:23:51  
You should play what you like, but let's be realistic with new players/returners and just say it- you will struggle to find people who want to play with you if you are DD-only.

Missing the point too...

OP is asking recommendation for DD job. He didn't ask "should I lv whm geo brd for invite."

Then tons of people's recommended COR, a DD job, then proceed to say that they can somehow magically get invite as roll only cor.

A roll only cor will struggle just as much these days. That was the point being made by some people.

Also what Buuki said. I'd gladly play mage if another person has at least ambuscade weapon and armor, mage is more fun than DD anyways. I'd think twice to even invite them if that person has a roll only cor.

Even if they are well geared, way beyond the level OP is at. If you aren't flexible then you aren't contributing fully and you are forcing those roles onto others.

For the sake of performance, If someone's DD is at OP level then I'd gladly take them as DD for every fight and just find people that are happy to play support.

Yup, I think it's more important to gear job to OP level.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 20:48:39  
You should play what you like, but let's be realistic with new players/returners and just say it- you will struggle to find people who want to play with you if you are DD-only.

Missing the point too...

OP is asking recommendation for DD job. He didn't ask "should I lv whm geo brd for invite."

Then tons of people's recommended COR, a DD job, then proceed to say that they can somehow magically get invite as roll only cor.

A roll only cor will struggle just as much these days. That was the point being made by some people.

Also what Buuki said. I'd gladly play mage if another person has at least ambuscade weapon and armor, mage is more fun than DD anyways. I'd think twice to even invite them if that person has a roll only cor.

Even if they are well geared, way beyond the level OP is at. If you aren't flexible then you aren't contributing fully and you are forcing those roles onto others.

For the sake of performance, If someone's DD is at OP level then I'd gladly take them as DD for every fight and just find people that are happy to play support.

Yup, I think it's more important to gear job to OP level.

Can't argue the principle, but I do think its slightly based in the server you call home. On smaller servers where the average online at once population is under 300, versatility at a baseline level becomes more important than an OP job. Its a lot better to take a player you trust who's just starting WHM so you can fill out that party and actually do content vs wait around for hours and never see another healer available.

End goal? Definitely, get a job that's valuable and make it your own, build a reputation of good things on that job, and you'll always have something to do. But for many, it can't just be "I play what I like".
 Sylph.Herbs
サーバ: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2020-09-19 05:05:07  
FF11 players really don't understand how incredibly hardcore this game is compared to almost every other mmo there is. I can't think of one other game that requires the incredible effort and drive modern ff11 demands. When someone says just level a support job, or something I'm amazed they don't get why that is a big deal.

If you slowly unlocked all these things over the past 5-10 years it seems like nothing, someone coming in new has a herculean task ahead of them if they want to play serious endgame with other people and have multiple jobs.

Thing that makes me laugh is people actually think the game is less grindy now, it's more grind than it ever has been. They just hide it till you get to 99 because leveling is so easy.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2020-09-19 07:19:40  
A full support Cor will vastly outperform ulmia, qultada, or joachim. No contest. 4 roll cycle (minimum), unique rolls, stronger buffs, JAs to keep near constant 11s and Luckies, Hat to get job bonus w/o job there, and this is critical... The buffs you want without needing to first engage. There is no universe where a trust is better than a fresh cor with even just most basic investments in the job.

Also, we really need to support new players and invite them to play. I think Cor is a fantastic first job with tons of potential for growth. But I really do think people should play the job they want to play.

I have come back and been playing for 6 months or so. I have met so many friends and we do so many different events. Literally different ones each night. A lot of us are scrubs but we do have elite players too, But we make a lot of gil, we steam roll ambuscade E and N as 6 person groups, we got all our W1 dynamis clears, we can beat any Omen mid boss consistently (mega bosses we are still learning), our CP parties are 2-3m an hour and are a blast. My point... Please come and play the game. Please log in to have fun and excitement. Please do not let the elitist mindset deter you from enjoying the game on your terms. Part of the fun is starting weak and getting stronger as you go.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-19 08:55:09  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I hope if you're a returnee reading these posts you see there's really only been one consistent comment relating to DD jobs across all the posts: everyone mentions "the only DD" or "one of 2-3 DDs" scenarios.

Sadly, a freshly returning player isn't going to get one of those spots. To be competitive to the point of "getting to come DD" on a regular basis means you likely already have the vast majority of the gear from that event- because you came to it for 3 months on a support job/healer/tank.

My suggestion if you're adamant about building a DD? Do something with a hybrid function. Build a RUN who can tank and add respectable DPS builds as you grow. Or a RDM or COR capable of great buffing/enfeebling off the bat and who's DD capabilities will grow with time. Or just build up a pure healer/support job to get your foot in the door, then build a DD as you see active DDs doing content with you and can observe the differing playstyles/strengths of those DDs while gathering gear for that job down the road.

This is true for many situations but if you're determined to be a DD, there are LS who will still take you to things as one. Many of those are full of people who're already geared to or nearly BIS and won't mind taking someone under their wing.
By Afania 2020-09-19 09:10:39  
Diabolos.Ghlin said: »
A full support Cor will vastly outperform ulmia, qultada, or joachim.

"Slightly" outperform yes, "vastly" outperform no.

A full support Cor will vastly outperform ulmia, qultada, or joachim.

1) Nah. cor can't haste, so it's never going to replace a BRD trust unless you have a real BRD or GEO.

4 roll cycle

2) It's not like we ever need 4 rolls....or even 3. Evokers roll is as useless as it is, exactly what else are you gonna roll?

Hat to get job bonus w/o job there,

3) 1/3 (or 1/2 if they bother to upgrade) of chance though. That's only equal to 3.3% ish extra attack on average. If you look at it as a number it's incredibly small.

They also need to farm the hat which defeats the purpose of leeching on a job for gears.

The buffs you want without needing to first engage

4) I never really care about that when I solo with trusts lol. If I'm killing an easy T1 NM for a returning player, fat chance is that Id pop before they finish doing rolls anyways. By the time they finish doing 2 rolls I can already kill a mob.

A real player is still slightly better than a trust, because they can do samurai's/allies roll which increases dps more than fighters roll from trusts, and they can use JA better than trusts as long as the player isn't a total idiot. But the advantage isn't nearly as much as you described.
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2020-09-19 09:54:50  
And personally I'm reluctant to play with people who don't share the support or tanking burden.
There is nothing worse than a new/returning player insisting on playing their completely half assed "tank". Half assed supports still support, half assed tanks just don't tank.
[+]
By Afania 2020-09-19 11:04:38  
Hat to get job bonus w/o job there,

Also forgot to mention: if you seriously care about job bonus, summon zeid then unsummon him after qultada put up chaos roll gives job bonus 100% of time. Don't even need a hat to get job bonus.
By Prong 2020-09-19 11:48:07  
This five page discussion proves that Covid has been responsible for more "this lasted way too long" FFXIAH threads than any flu, ever.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-09-19 12:08:52  
If "you're trying way too hard" was a post.
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2020-09-19 12:11:54  
its funny how everyone assumes that a returnee roll-only COR will stay roll-only forever. any decent player will try to catch up fast.

i'd take a roll-only cor over qutalda any day of the week.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 8 9 10