users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » [Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
[Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 11:57:36  
anyone else find it funny that the guy with the pirate avatar is the only one fighting for a "Rolls only COR"?
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-18 12:01:29  
With COR as a first job, there's a lot of farming involved to be good, but what content do you think you need to have great geared COR to win? A rolls only COR will get replaced 100%... unless you're the one setting up the parties or join a helpful ls. When I came back from a 4year break, I joined an LS that helped me out dramatically and I was mostly roll only at that time. I also created my own parties...

Especially on a server like Asura it's easy to shout for help when everyone wants to show how leet they are. They are more than willing to allow you to buff them while they do all of the work. For all of the flaming that Asura gets (warranted) there are a considerable amount of people who are awesome people willing to help out new/returning players.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-18 12:02:09  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
anyone else find it funny that the guy with the pirate avatar is the only one fighting for a "Rolls only COR"?

Lol I was thinking the same thing...
 Asura.Failaras
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2020-09-18 12:03:18  
You can play the making gearswaps job for me like the old days.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:04:12  
Crossbones said: »
I've done tons of ambu for new players on VD to gear them up after a couple runs. If it's an easy month and you don't need a lot of dps (most months tbh) it's a lot easier to "carry" a cor than any other dps. Same goes for doing escha NMs. Come buff me and I'll help you get gear faster instead of standing there on your bayld dps doing jack ***. When it comes to getting groups / pugs yeah a roll cor can easily be replaced but helping new players, if they have only a roll cor that's still plenty to make it much easier to gear them up. I can get a new cor 20k hallmarks, herc boots, adhemar hands and head all in a span of a couple hours. After that point they are already good enough to contribute to groups even if they are N ambu runs. Not saying everyone does this but as someone who's ran a newbie / returnee shell for a few years I can't express how much easier it is to gear someone up if they have a cor (geo helps too but that's not a dps).

Outside of cor, war and mnk are both easy to gear out the gate and if you can get ambu runs war is essentially free.
Honestly, if your first job is a COR, level another job to help out. As long as you get empy pants and a cure set, you are pretty much set with WHM.

It has been brought up many times that a returning player would benefit more by having a support job event-ready than trying to be a DD-only character. Even COR is considered more of a DD than support now.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:06:10  
Shiva.Eightball said: »
Mrxi said: »
And the fact that DD cor is not required means you can contribute to a pt helping you get gear instead of sitting there on a super gimp DD only job and contribute.
example of dd cor not needed?

Ru’aun tier 1-3, reisenjasima tier 1-3, omen, some ambuscade months, many Unity NMs, sinister reign, insert any old content here...

Edit: even dynamis tier 1-2 farms DO NOT REQUIRE IT but sure make it easier.
All of those you have stated can be served better to replace the COR with a DD. I rather have another DD than a rolls-only COR in all of those older or easier events. Or better yet, I'll just summon Quitiliaramadingdong instead of bringing a rolls-only COR.

Even if the only rolls I get is Evokers and Corsair's Roll, AND the trust always breaks my skillchains, the trust is still contributing more than the rolls-only COR....
By Afania 2020-09-18 12:07:38  
Technically, he's right, since multi step SC exists you can totally have 1 DD and 5 afkerer and pt will probably kill as fast as 3-4/6 engaged.

But I don't see the point to level a half assed job just to have a CHANCE to get invite, with connections.

If you have friend/LS to get invite as a roll only cor, you will be able to join the party as a mediocre DD too. May as well spend time on gearing jobs that you like to begin with.

Returning players can get several millions quite easily with DI points/mars orb/log in point. From there they can get win for ambu gears, which is enough to gear up a mediocre DD. The difference is that you get to play your favorite job from the get go, which is more important IMO.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 12:09:15  
And the fact that DD cor is not required means you can contribute to a pt helping you get gear instead of sitting there on a super gimp DD only job and contribute.

Ru’aun tier 1-3, reisenjasima tier 1-3, omen, some ambuscade months, many Unity NMs, sinister reign, insert any old content here...

Hell, in all those situations I'd bring a DD COR over even the most pimped out straight DD and have 2-COR parties. Afania has corrupted me <3
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:12:45  
Afania said: »
Technically, he's right, since multi step SC exists you can totally have 1 DD, 1 RDM, 1 BRD or GEO and 3 afkers and pt will probably kill as fast as 3-4/6 engaged.
Fixed. Kindof hard to skillchain ***to death without buffs, at least haste capped.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 12:12:54  

Hell, in all those situations I'd bring a DD COR over even the most pimped out straight DD and have 2-COR parties. Afania has corrupted me <3

Ok so, you are saying you would boot the guy that needs the gear on these runs because they are undergeared?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:14:05  

Ok so, you are saying you would boot the guy that needs the gear on these runs because they are undergeared?
I'm sure the healer has another job they can come as.

The rolls-only COR can level WHM to at least contribute to the party instead of being carried by others.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 12:14:26  

ugh dont' turn this into another thread like the parsing one.

I'm saying if given the choice for the content you list between a decked out DD COR or a decked out DD, I'll take a second COR over a pure DD.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:15:32  
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 12:16:08  

I'm saying if given the choice for the content you list between a decked out DD COR or a decked out DD, I'll take a second COR over a pure DD.

And if the person needing the gear has neither of those?
By Afania 2020-09-18 12:16:17  
Asura.Tawhoya said: »
With COR as a first job, there's a lot of farming involved to be good, but what content do you think you need to have great geared COR to win? A rolls only COR will get replaced 100%... unless you're the one setting up the parties or join a helpful ls. When I came back from a 4year break, I joined an LS that helped me out dramatically and I was mostly roll only at that time. I also created my own parties...

If you have a "helpful LS", they will let you leech on a different job too. Since they can probably solo or lowman low tier content. If I'm gonna help someone get a T1 gear, it doesn't matter what job that they come, I can kill mobs regardless. Jobs like geo, brd or roll only cor helps, but they are not necessary. They can come afk SAM and the difference won't be huge.

So, lv a job just to leech when established players dont really care what job that you leech on isnt the best use of time in a game.

Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Technically, he's right, since multi step SC exists you can totally have 1 DD, 1 RDM, 1 BRD or GEO and 3 afkers and pt will probably kill as fast as 3-4/6 engaged.
Fixed. Kindof hard to skillchain ***to death without buffs, at least haste capped.

Well yeah, I meant to say some afkers are hasters like brd or geo who haste and afk, lol.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:18:08  
It's simple: Level a job that can contribute that doesn't require the gears you need from the event you are trying to contribute to.

WHM is the prime example of "getting your foot into the door for any and all groups".
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:22:19  
I mean, let's face it, any player who doesn't at least put in the minimal effort to get event ready, including leveling a job just to get the gear for the job(s) they want to actually play, are more than likely are not going to stay long in this game.

They see the first wall and will give up almost immediately.

I'm sure everyone who posts here has seen it happen many times.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 12:22:33  

Ok you wanna know the dirty little secret?

I don't believe in leeches of any kind for free. I hate even card leeches in Omen. Its bad for the group, and its worse for the leech. Come to a group, provide something valuable, or stick to solo content to improve your character until it is viable for the content you desire.

And guess what? its not that hard to do that.

-Get your JSE gear to iLvl 119- completely a solo task.

-Farm Skirmish for telchine/taeon/other needs if your job uses them....again solo.

-Farm gil through lower tiered ambuscades, BCNMs, selling Mars Orbs (depending on how your server reacts to such things, I know not all have a good market for that), 2mil a week in sparks/accolades dumps....all solo.

-Do most campaigns...again solo.

-Build a RMEA if your job is very tied to it....oh look! solo!

There is literally MONTHS of content one can do to build up a character before they start doing Gaes Fete content or Omen or Dyna-D. Don't rush into the content in the game that has the highest entry standards for gear when you're not geared for it. Do the work.
[+]
By Afania 2020-09-18 12:26:15  

I thought Celes point is very clear. The leecher can come any job while geared COR carry them. Which is faster than getting a geared DD and a roll only cor.

I don't necessarily agree 100% since multi step SC exists, and multistep SC favors afkers greatly. But if for whatever reason SC doesn't work then a maxed pt of 5/6 + 1 leech getting +8 rolls and full time CC and the versatility(ranged, magic dmg etc) to deal with any mechanics will likely out perform a 6/6 pt getting +5 rolls without CC and cor isn't DDing.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:27:05  
I mean, I leveled PLD and WHM just to get into the door of my current linkshell. I played those 2 jobs for a little bit, got some jobs I really wanted to play geared up, and now I can come as jobs I want to play as because those jobs are geared up to the point where it's actually wanted/needed instead of "nice to have" or "sure, we got a spot for you to come as a minor contributing player".
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 12:28:16  
It's simple: Level a job that can contribute that doesn't require the gears you need from the event you are trying to contribute to.

WHM is the prime example of "getting your foot into the door for any and all groups".

This is my point, people seem to expect job perfection from a returning player before they can do anything even when it’s old content...

If you have a "helpful LS", they will let you leech on a different job too. Since they can probably solo or lowman low tier content. If I'm gonna help someone get a T1 gear, it doesn't matter what job that they come, I can kill mobs regardless. Jobs like geo, brd or roll only cor helps, but they are not necessary. They can come afk SAM and the difference won't be huge.

So, lv a job just to leech when established players dont really care what job that you leech on isnt the best use of time in a game.

Yes this is true, but if it were me as the “leech” I would much rather come on a job that contributes SOMETHING even if it’s just a few key buffs that make things easier instead of “hey go sit in the corner while I do everything”
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-09-18 12:29:23  
I don't believe in leeches of any kind for free. I hate even card leeches in Omen. Its bad for the group, and its worse for the leech. Come to a group, provide something valuable, or stick to solo content to improve your character until it is viable for the content you desire.

Which is exactly why COR is a good choice- it enables them to contribute at some level. The fact that COR can do a lot when geared to its maximum level does not take away from the fact that it can do more than other jobs when geared to a minimum level.

I'm not sure why you're trying to strawman that guy.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:31:09  
This is my point, people seem to expect job perfection from a returning player before they can do anything even when it’s old content...
Not job perfection, but contributing player.

A rolls-only COR isn't contributing as much as a trust does. If you cannot contribute more than a trust, why should I bring you? Especially since the healer has another job they can use to contribute to the party more than a trust would who would instead take your spot.

You may call me elitist, but honestly, if you aren't going to at least attempt to contribute to the party, why should I bother helping you when you are 99% likely to leave the game when you get to the first real wall in gearing up?
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 12:31:35  
Siren.Kyte said: »

Which is exactly why COR is a good choice- it enables them to contribute at some level. The fact that COR can do a lot when geared to its maximum level does not take away from the fact that it can do more than other jobs when geared to a minimum level.

I'm not sure why you're trying to strawman that dude.

Not really strawmanning. What I am saying is that in content limited to 6 people, an average DD is easier to "hide" or "carry" than an average COR or BRD.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2020-09-18 12:32:06  
A rolls-only COR isn't contributing as much as a trust does.

There's literally a COR trust that is widely used but usually only does 1 useful roll.
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-18 12:32:08  
Asura.Tawhoya said: »

Well yeah, I meant to say some afkers are hasters like brd or geo who haste and afk, lol.

But the difference in my scenario is that I wasn't leeching, I was contributing to the best of my abilities. Granted this was before Kaja/Naeg so COR DD wasn't as easy as it is now, but it's still a viable job to bring and contribute. It taught me what rolls to use for what scenarios as well as how different fights work. And get this: we had fun! Isn't that what games are about?

Having said that, I have leeched plenty of times in my LS when I can't be available because of kids/wife/life... but it was all agreed upon before entering.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:34:42  

There's literally a COR trust that is widely used but usually only does 1 useful roll.
1 useful roll, 1 semi-useful roll, and 1 annoying roll unless you are a mage. Generally speaking, you get the useful roll and a tossup between the semi-useful or annoying roll.

Still can contribute more than a rolls-only COR. And doesn't end up leaving the game shortly afterwards either.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 12:35:14  

And being able to choose your rolls is already better than using a trust, esp when that same trust will sit in range and get hit by stuff and interrupt SCs.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 12:37:55  

And being able to choose your rolls is already better than using a trust, esp when that same trust will sit in range and get hit by stuff and interrupt SCs.
Who said anything about using Quilita?

In those cases, unless it's a mob that absorbs dark damage, I would bring out Shanttoto II. Granted, I wouldn't have as many buffs, but at the very least the damage output would far exceed anything the rolls-only COR would "contribute" with their +3/+5 rolls, and that's being generous with somebody who is a rolls-only COR, putting in the effort to get those rings...

And, bear with me, if you are smart, you can skillchain off of Shanttoto's skillchains too....
 Asura.Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-18 12:39:04  
Not job perfection, but contributing player.

A rolls-only COR isn't contributing as much as a trust does. If you cannot contribute more than a trust, why should I bring you? Especially since the healer has another job they can use to contribute to the party more than a trust would who would instead take your spot.

You may call me elitist, but honestly, if you aren't going to at least attempt to contribute to the party, why should I bother helping you when you are 99% likely to leave the game when you get to the first real wall in gearing up?

With BRD, RDM turst I agree 100%, but cor trust is really bad. With a ROCOR you can at least get boosted buffs, longer duration, sleeps/dispel, and a puller... the bad part about them is, if unfamiliar with fights, they die a lot more.
First Page 2 3 4 5 ... 8 9 10