フォーラム » FFXI » General » [Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
[Opinion] Returning Player DD Question
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Fenrir.Pirinolon
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Pirinolon
By Fenrir.Pirinolon 2020-09-18 02:55:21  
I would suggest COR, then any other DD you like and enjoy, chances are you gonna enjoy COR anyways, as for the REMAS, there are plento to choose from, and some are no brainers like Cadal, Masamune, Death Penalty, among others that you wont be disappointed to R15 them.

Why COR first Suggestion?
Like other have pointed before, chances are you not gonna get invites to DD stuff when theres plenty of pimped DDs around, as cor you can start buffing and update your gear on the way, plus is a nice versatile job that can DPS pretty good.
[+]
 Valefor.Yandaime
サーバ: Valefor
user: Yandaime
By Valefor.Yandaime 2020-09-18 04:12:49  
I’m late but I agree with Pirinolon. I’d probably say COR.

It offers unique buffs that are vital in 90% of all setups or at the very least anything melee or pet related and it can easily satisfy that “I wanna fight” itch with three very viable options of DPS in either Melee, Ranged or Magical/Mix.

It’s not a showstopper unless Dyna D but then the show usually cannot start without it so you’ll probably have tons of fun playing it. As long as you go out of your way and get your roll-gear you should never have trouble getting into.. well, anything I’d imagine lol
 Sylph.Herbs
サーバ: Sylph
user: JoeRogan
By Sylph.Herbs 2020-09-18 04:42:34  
What kind of REMA is best to aim for on Cor, also what kind of other gear is wanted? Mythic is probably out of my range.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By ksoze 2020-09-18 05:04:09  
from what i read, you dont want to invest alot of gil and that equals time investing in the game. or buy gil ...

thats a bit of a problem with this game and depending on if you are on a active ls that does alot of content you need to choose accordingly i think.

as alot of ppl suggest, mnk, i agree.
mnk is easy to gear and cheap in my opinion.

cor needs a shitload of gear so i agree with the versatility but before you are useful, it takes a whole lot of stuff.
or become a roll cor :p

now sam is my personal favorite, just because i think its alot more fun then mnk, also fairly easy to gear but i would recommend an aeonic.

personally i've been surprised by how good a war can be with an ambu axe and it's also really cheap to gear. boring to play tho.

drg and drk i've had no experience with.

my advise, play one also that you think is fun.

so depending on solo and pug or ls it shall influence your ability to enjoy the game, altho this game is also fun if you make it hard.

returning, most groups / pugs don't want a dd, they need support.

that's why you really should consider using a support job to further gear a dd job.

easiest support jobs:
whm / 3 song bard / geo

aetir run is also very cheap to gear and will get you into groups.

Post deleted by User.
By ksoze 2020-09-18 06:16:50  
Asura.Memes said: »
Naegling and TP bonus gun are both technically free, even Kaja+TP Bonus gun is a strong combo and easier to obtain than a Masa/Doji or Chango or Godhands for a returning player as an interim though.

hey memes, you are right about that part, was talking about a versatile cor with roll, range and dd. specially the range part needs alot of gear in my opinion.

Post deleted by User.
By Taint 2020-09-18 08:55:41  
Asura.Memes said: »
ksoze said: »
cor needs a shitload of gear so i agree with the versatility but before you are useful, it takes a whole lot of stuff.
or become a roll cor :p
Naegling and TP bonus gun are both technically free, even Kaja+TP Bonus gun is a strong combo and easier to obtain than a Masa/Doji or Chango or Godhands for a returning player as an interim though.

SAM has https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Shining_One

MNK has https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Karambit

MNK can literally AH their sets for 20-30mil and do a lot of endgame events.

ItemSet 375498
[+]
 Asura.Sirris
サーバ: Asura
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-09-18 09:27:57  
Echoing what others have said, don't be a returning player DD. Instead be a returning player support and work that into DD gear, like most everyone did (that's what I did, I did almost 2 years of primarily support and pet jobs after returning before starting to take DD slots). You will be an undergeared returner looking to get the 1-2 DD slots per 6 people. No one is going to go for that.

As far as DDs, far too few mentions of warrior here. WAR is especially easy to gear and you don't even need a REMA to do better dps than most other jobs. Also, you get the variety of being very good with a lot of different weapons. You could work yourself into a pretty nice warrior in a couple of months of playing WHM, BRD, or GEO.

Littleflame said: »

LOL this is *** amazing.
[+]
 Bismarck.Zubuis
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Zubuis
By Bismarck.Zubuis 2020-09-18 09:46:02  
As others have said, COR I think is good for a returning player. It does require a lot of gear to master it though so be warned (melee, rng, phys ws, ranged ws, magic ws etc). Its pretty much good and needed for everything.

All of the other DD's - MNK/SAM/DRK/WAR/DRG etc are pretty equal in terms of dps. They all have their areas where they shine over other jobs. I personally think SAM is the most straight forward of them (The job mechanics really havent changed much imo) and masamune is a very easy build and its one of the better weapons, but they are all good and the good players will get the most out of them.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 11:10:39  
I know there's a lot of mentioning of Corsair, and for good reasons.

-its vital to almost all content these days due to buffs only found on that job.

-its an incredibly versatile damage dealer than can do so without any sacrifice to its buffing potency.

But its also being rightfully said repeatedly- its a damn expensive job to do, and as such I don't think its a good "first DD".

-There's been mentioning how "Naegling and TP bonus gun is essentially free"- yes...but the gear to have a functional Savage Blade set with sufficient ACCURACY while dealing good damage isn't easy.

-Its pretty much expected these days to have +7 rolls with the proper +duration gear. This takes time and upgrading, and either a Lanun Knife Path C(fully upgraded) or Regal Neck.

-Corsairs aren't very valuable to a shell if they can't one-shot Dynamis-Divergence Statues. This does not mean you must build a Death Penalty immediately, but the gear to be able to oneshot below 2k TP without a RMEA gun again will take time and gil. Regarding ranged, the one thing you can get away with skimping on at the start is a true ranged TP set. You'll of course need it down the line, but that I see is the one thing that can wait, compared to proper melee TP sets, savage blade/leaden sets for damage.

These three things aren't "goals" for Corsair in the current day..they're starting points. Sorry to say it- there's just too many Corsairs out there to choose from.

I really like the suggestion of Monk. Its a durable job, its in a great place right now even without absolute top-tier gear, and the mechanics are more straightforward than some of the other "heavy DDs".

I still say work hard on a support job to join groups to "pre-gear" a DD, so then you can have a good start on the gear needed to be good.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 11:15:34  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
-its an incredibly versatile damage dealer than can do so without any sacrifice to its buffing potency.
Problem is, the buffing potency can be detriment to the DD ability, especially if you are trying to store TP to 3000 for Leaden Salute and a roll wears off in the middle of it.

Got to get that compensator rolls going!
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 11:21:33  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Problem is, the buffing potency can be detriment to the DD ability, especially if you are trying to store TP to 3000 for Leaden Salute and a roll wears off in the middle of it.

personally I wouldn't worry about compensator until you're swapping mainhand weapons for rolls as well. No sense in giving up TP'ing while rolling with your ideal gun setup if all you're gaining is a few seconds on your rolls...but if you're swapping in a Rostam or Lanun C and can hit 10 minute rolls, then I'd say its worth it. Others may have different roll philosophies.

In regards to storing TP to 3k for a leaden, its rare these days I do that on purpose. 2 1500TP leadens will always be more damage than 1 3k WS. Let alone 3 1k ones. The white damage boost from AM3 is less than a fraction of your total damage with that gun and rarely worth it.
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 11:22:00  
Once again, yes there are a lot of DD cors out there, but a DD cor is not a requirement for most content a returning player will need gear from. Yes a rolls only cor is more gimp for a pt than a decked out DD cor but also an under geared strait DD is even more gimp for a pt because they are contributing almost nothing and you will likely still want a cor in that pt. Mnk can get a lot of good gear from AH yes and yes it is very expensive and requires 500JP just to equip, cor AH gear does not require JPs other than dynamis daggers which are not required for a starting roll set, all you REALLY need to break into cor for basic gearing purposes is to be better than Qultada and that is not hard.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 11:27:30  

personally I wouldn't worry about compensator until you're swapping mainhand weapons for rolls as well. No sense in giving up TP'ing while rolling with your ideal gun setup if all you're gaining is a few seconds on your rolls...but if you're swapping in a Rostam or Lanun C and can hit 10 minute rolls, then I'd say its worth it. Others may have different roll philosophies.

In regards to storing TP to 3k for a leaden, its rare these days I do that on purpose. 2 1500TP leadens will always be more damage than 1 3k WS. Let alone 3 1k ones. The white damage boost from AM3 is less than a fraction of your total damage with that gun and rarely worth it.
I guess it depends on your setup. I don't have DP...yet, nor Rostram..yet (I'm not mastered COR either), but I do trade out Compensator when rolling. Near 10 minute rolls still means I can DD a lot during those times, and for the few events I come as COR for, it's not a huge deal.
[+]
By Mrxi 2020-09-18 11:27:39  
Shiva.Eightball said: »
Once again, yes there are a lot of DD cors out there, but a DD cor is not a requirement for most content a returning player will need gear from. Yes a rolls only cor is more gimp for a pt than a decked out DD cor but also an under geared strait DD is even more gimp for a pt because they are contributing almost nothing and you will likely still want a cor in that pt. Mnk can get a lot of good gear from AH yes and yes it is very expensive and requires 500JP just to equip, cor AH gear does not require JPs other than dynamis daggers which are not required for a starting roll set, all you REALLY need to break into cor for basic gearing purposes is to be better than Qultada and that is not hard.
Wrong on so many levels
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 11:27:54  
Once again, yes there are a lot of DD cors out there, but a DD cor is not a requirement for most content a returning player will need gear from. Yes a rolls only cor is more gimp for a pt than a decked out DD cor but also an under geared strait DD is even more gimp for a pt because they are contributing almost nothing and you will likely still want a cor in that pt.

ANY day I'll take a well-geared COR and an average geared-DD over the reverse. That well-geared COR fills TWO roles for the party, and that average-geared DD can be made functional with good buffers. But make one of those buffers who's also expected to DD into an average buffer with no dps, and the loss is larger.

Mnk can get a lot of good gear from AH yes and yes it is very expensive and requires 500JP just to equip, cor AH gear does not require JPs other than dynamis daggers which are not required for a starting roll set, all you REALLY need to break into cor for basic gearing purposes is to be better than Qultada and that is not hard.

1. Oshosi Gear requires the same Su3 level that Kenda does.
2. COR is MUCH more dependent on augmented gear than MNK.
3. COR is MUCH more dependent on its JSE+3 than MNK.

4. If you're only expecting a person to be "better than Quldata", then sure, go for it. But I think you're living in an era when Corsairs weren't consistently expected to be 80% or more the damage equivalent of a dedicated DD. That just doesn't work these days. As I've said before in other threads- its a lot easier to make average DDs look great with top notch buffs than it is to make average buffers functional. I will always want my best geared people in a party to be the buffers, and in particular the hybrid jobs expected to do both.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 11:29:45  
Let's not forget the fact that there are a LOT of CORs out there that will replace that rolls-only COR in a heartbeat.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 11:30:26  
Let's not forget the fact that there are a LOT of CORs out there that will replace that rolls-only COR in a heartbeat.

the absolute heart of my argument against starting on corsair.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 11:31:40  
That saying, my COR is my...4th? 5th? now that I have SCH leveled and somewhat geared, best geared job and I still smoke most PUG CORs out there out of existence.

It's really not hard to put into the effort to make a COR that's at least 75% capacity. Going from 75% to 90% is a job though.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 11:34:16  
And the fact that DD cor is not required means you can contribute to a pt helping you get gear instead of sitting there on a super gimp DD only job and not contribute.

Edit: I often run into these people with under geared DD jobs asking for help on X content that’s not too hard but they can’t do anything for the pt because “I only have thf and drk at 99” and they still have salvage 1 gears on trying to do reisjesima NMs, I can’t have you close in because you are just gonna get hit by AOE and die or soak on Mp but if you had say a rolls only Corsair you could maybe come on that and do the rolls I want without interrupting my SC making the fight go much smother.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 11:35:38  
And the fact that DD cor is not required means you can contribute to a pt helping you get gear instead of sitting there on a super gimp DD only job and contribute.
Only time where my COR isn't "required" to DD is during Aeonics run, and only when we do SMN burn strat.

Even then, I still pew.

Edit: Hell, I even toss a few Quick Draws on the element of the avatar.
[+]
By Mrxi 2020-09-18 11:35:49  
And the fact that DD cor is not required means you can contribute to a pt helping you get gear instead of sitting there on a super gimp DD only job and contribute.
example of dd cor not needed?
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-18 11:36:06  

Don't come to a group on ANY job that you can't contribute unless you're paying for it.
[+]
By Mrxi 2020-09-18 11:38:07  
Only time where my COR isn't "required" to DD is during Aeonics run, and only when we do SMN burn strat.

Even then, I still pew.

Almost forgot about that, maybe because i dont like to smn burn them. we used roll only cor on tumult too i guess
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-18 11:39:15  
Mrxi said: »

Even then, I still pew.

Almost forgot about that, maybe because i dont like to smn burn them. we used roll only cor on tumult too i guess
I don't have a Nirvana, so if I want to be useful, I bring out the COR. Heck, my BRD outside of Ballads aren't really that helpful unless we sleep the adds.
By Crossbones 2020-09-18 11:51:43  
I've done tons of ambu for new players on VD to gear them up after a couple runs. If it's an easy month and you don't need a lot of dps (most months tbh) it's a lot easier to "carry" a cor than any other dps. Same goes for doing escha NMs. Come buff me and I'll help you get gear faster instead of standing there on your bayld dps doing jack ***. When it comes to getting groups / pugs yeah a roll cor can easily be replaced but helping new players, if they have only a roll cor that's still plenty to make it much easier to gear them up. I can get a new cor 20k hallmarks, herc boots, adhemar hands and head all in a span of a couple hours. After that point they are already good enough to contribute to groups even if they are N ambu runs. Not saying everyone does this but as someone who's ran a newbie / returnee shell for a few years I can't express how much easier it is to gear someone up if they have a cor (geo helps too but that's not a dps).

Outside of cor, war and mnk are both easy to gear out the gate and if you can get ambu runs war is essentially free.
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-18 11:54:01  
Mrxi said: »
example of dd cor not needed?

Ru’aun tier 1-3, reisenjasima tier 1-3, omen, some ambuscade months, many Unity NMs, sinister reign, insert any old content here...

Edit: even dynamis tier 1-2 farms DO NOT REQUIRE IT but sure make it easier.
By Afania 2020-09-18 11:57:06  
Returning players:

Pick an ambu weapon friendly DD job => Sell mars orb for gil => pay for ambu VD win and use seals => get ambu gears and play the job.

Screw all the "level X job to gear Y job". It's a game, play what you like.

If you don't like cor, even unlocking the job and level it to 99 is a waste of time. Nevermind the "it feels bad" emotions occurred while begging for a pt invite(and get rejected) as a roll only cor.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10