Random Politics & Religion #02

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #02
Random Politics & Religion #02
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 38 39 40
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:15:15  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Who said anything about bank deposits. This is a cash only super small business we're talking about. Income is cash only, expenses are cash only and the owner is a sole proprietor. The extra 20% income is still so small that it's easily hidden by keeping it cash. I know people who've run these kinds of small cash only business's, it's not hard to keep things under the table, as long as it's small. It's when ***gets big that it becomes noticeable.

Precisely.

We're not talking the five-six-seven+ figure sums here.

We're talking about maybe $1,000 over the course of a year in petty cash.

Which is nothing and easily kept in cash.

But it's enough to pay for your gas all year, which is really important to a small-time food vendor or something similar.
[+]
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 13:15:25  
Valefor.Sehachan said: »
What is the argument exactly here..cause it looks like a brainstorming to come up with the best way to evade taxes lol.

How much tax evasion exists and where does it exist.

The debate hinges are whether we accept the definition of "evasion" to mean any method, even legal, at minimizing tax obligation or only the illegal methods. Also how much tax evasion exists on a small business level.
Isn't legal evasion a bit of an oxymoron?
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:16:23  
Bahamut.Milamber said: »
Is the point to pay less taxes, or to keep more money? Because you may be doing the former, but you certainly aren't doing the latter.

If you do it wrong. But I am thinking you are not keeping up with the conversation and the entire topic is lost on you.
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:17:08  
Who knew a topic on taxes would make pages fly by this fast!
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:17:35  

It would be if our tax code wasn't so convoluted and bloated there was a mega-industry that revolved merely around wading through it and making it work.

In that vein, it's good to see Liz Warren introducing legislation to deal with that recently.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:18:07  
Ramyrez said: »
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
You need look no further than the length of time it took to nix corporate tax inversions to see that there are issues.
You make it sound like those companies don't pay US taxes at all....
GAO: Many Companies Paid No Federal Income Tax

Quote:
Profitable large U.S. corporations paid federal income taxes between 2008 and 2012 that, on average, amounted to 14 percent of their pre-tax income. The average corporate effective tax rate, which are taxes paid as a proportion of income, for large, profitable corporations was 22 percent between 2008 and 2012 when factoring together federal income taxes with foreign, state and local income taxes.

"Reasons why even profitable corporations may have paid no federal tax in a given year include the use of tax deductions for losses carried forward from prior years and tax incentives, such as depreciation allowances that are more generous in the federal tax code than those allowed for financial accounting purposes," the GAO study reports.
So?

They had losses in previous years they couldn't use in the year of the loss, so they used it in the year they had income. How is that bad again?

Also, they used the depreciation methods the Treasury Department enforces on them, which is an accelerated method of depreciation when most of the businesses (for business purposes) use a straight line method. How is complying with the law bad again?

What that article didn't tell you, what the GAO report does tell you, is that they (the GAO) used the legal definition of a "corporation" for tax purposes, meaning that S-Corps (corporations who pass the income to the owners, which is taxed at the individual's tax rate) and LLC/LLP/LLLP/LLLCs (which can be structured either as a partnership or corporation depending on the state in question and how the owners wish it, and even then, they are structured as either an S-Corp or partnership, both of which passes the income to the individual) are included in that figure.

If they were honest in their report, they would only look at C-Corps. But why should they be honest when telling the lie sells more papers?

Long story short: That GAO report is misleading, and that article furthers the misleading.
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-04-21 13:20:28  
Drama Torama said: »
Cruz did you forget spoilers are broken??

THE HELL, WOMAN
Lol.
Probably the worst insult ever thrown around in this subsection!
[+]
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Drama Torama 2016-04-21 13:20:41  
Altimaomega said: »

Speaking in admin-mode, I love it. Lots of actual discussion, that isn't breaking along the usual party lines, with clear facts. It's the best this section has been in months.
[+]
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: AnnaMolly
By Anna Ruthven 2016-04-21 13:23:06  

Speaking in admin-mode, I love it. Lots of actual discussion, that isn't breaking along the usual party lines, with clear facts. It's the best this section has been in months.
I agree, Mr. Cruz.
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:23:27  
It's a business practice that you don't keep all of your money in an unsecured location that's available for theft. You can't be next to the safe at all times.

What you suggest, businesses don't do just out of principle of their employees stealing from them. Unless you are the only employee in the company, you can't trust anyone who works for you with all of your money.

You mean you're only allowed to have one safe and it has to be in your business and all the employees must have a key?

I am really out of touch, all these new laws I knew nothing about..

I said the opposite of this..
You really think business don't give you a receipt of sale?

IRS can request receipts for supplies, and can ask them directly from your vendors if needed.
The IRS can ask for all the Cash only receipts with no names on them all they like. I really don't see the problem here...
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:26:19  

You'd have to ask one of those Illegal Immigrants that have a legal drivers license.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:27:42  
You mean you're only allowed to have one safe and it has to be in your business and all the employees must have a key?

I am really out of touch, all these new laws I knew nothing about..
What you are suggesting is counter to actual business practices. I do not know of one business that runs a cash-only, no bank account method. I mean, there's absolutely no growth in that.

The IRS can ask for all the Cash only receipts with no names on them all they like. I really don't see the problem here...
I have dealt with a couple of audits in my time, and even then, you had to substantiate even cash only transactions.

Everything has a receipt. Even if you pay in cash you need a receipt or you don't get the deduction.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:28:06  
What is the argument exactly here..cause it looks like a brainstorming to come up with the best way to evade taxes lol.

How much tax evasion exists and where does it exist.

The debate hinges are whether we accept the definition of "evasion" to mean any method, even legal, at minimizing tax obligation or only the illegal methods. Also how much tax evasion exists on a small business level.

The legal definition is that it only refers to the illegal variety but many media outlets and posters on this site tend to think any method is "evasion".

The infamous double Irish with a dutch sandwich method

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish_arrangement

Mostly illegal now but others have sprung up to take it's place.

That system was legal during the time it was used, no laws were broken and massive amounts of money was saved. Apple was able to keep it's averaged annual tax obligation in the mid single digits using a combination of such methods. The accounting is so complex that it requires a large dedicated accounting stuff to track it all and keep it legal, something that only makes sense when a business is dealing with tens of millions of USD.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:28:20  
What that article didn't tell you, what the GAO report does tell you, is that they (the GAO) used the legal definition of a "corporation" for tax purposes, meaning that S-Corps (corporations who pass the income to the owners, which is taxed at the individual's tax rate) and LLC/LLP/LLLP/LLLCs (which can be structured either as a partnership or corporation depending on the state in question and how the owners wish it, and even then, they are structured as either an S-Corp or partnership, both of which passes the income to the individual) are included in that figure.

Okay, fair enough.

That said, once it's passed onto owners and partners...what then?

Still sounds like it's got a lot of potential for abuse and things slipping through the cracks.
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 13:30:18  
Is the point to pay less taxes, or to keep more money? Because you may be doing the former, but you certainly aren't doing the latter.

If you do it wrong. But I am thinking you are not keeping up with the conversation and the entire topic is lost on you.
Not really. If we go back to the example of actually selling a 7k computer for 250USD (or whatever the hell it was) and claiming a loss, simply for the point of reducing tax burden, you may be reducing the taxes you pay, but you aren't keeping your money.

If neither of those conditions is true (the purchase or sale price), and they are attempting to reduce the tax burden due, well, that's tax fraud. Which is something else entirely.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:32:21  
What you are suggesting is counter to actual business practices. I do not know of one business that runs a cash-only, no bank account method. I mean, there's absolutely no growth in that.

I do, several. They aren't the types to need the services of an accountant nor are they even able to afford that. Most are just one person being self employed and doing service work. They don't keep separate business and personal checking accounts and tend to pay most expenses in cash. This is really small stuff here, which is what we were talking about. There isn't payroll or monthly expense reports, hell they probably don't even file the correct tax documentation, but because its' so small nobody cares.
[+]
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2016-04-21 13:32:30  
Anna Ruthven said: »

I agree, Mr. Cruz.
So if Rooks writes a lengthy PM, is it now a Cruz missive?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:33:02  
That said, once it's passed onto owners and partners...what then?
They pay taxes on that income. With the sole exception of other, similar-classed business losses, they pay the taxes on that income.

You can argue other deductions and other credits, but that's what AMT was made for. AMT kills nearly all deductions and forces those who fall under that tax to pay the minimum* of 28% of their income.

*Minimum of ordinary income. Capital gains AMT is 20%.

Still sounds like it's got a lot of potential for abuse and things slipping through the cracks.
That income is passed through on a form called a K-1. IRS specifically checks those K-1s to make sure they are correct and all partners/owners are attributed their portion of income based by their ownership.

Anything you may think could slip through the cracks, IRS already looked into and fixed it. There aren't as many loopholes as you think they are, and those you think are loopholes aren't really loopholes to begin with.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:34:34  

I do, several. They aren't the types to need the services of an accountant nor are they even able to afford that. Most are just one person being self employed and doing service work. They don't keep separate business and personal checking accounts and tend to pay most expenses in cash. This is really small stuff here, which is what we were talking about. There isn't payroll or monthly expense reports, hell they probably don't even file the correct tax documentation, but because its' so small nobody cares.
Fair enough. No potential for growth either, so it doesn't interest me.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:34:43  

Even part-time things, like teaching music lessons or tutoring in an academic subject where there's no physical good being sold and little proof that any transaction took place at all...
[+]
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:35:42  

Again. Never said or implied a business does that. The ideal thing to do is deposit 4k of your 5k earnings for the month. That thousand dollars never existed and there is zero way to ever have it traced. Do you understand this concept at all? The numbers mean little, it just has to look on the up and up. The better it looks the more can be hidden. People get caught when they get greedy.

I have dealt with a couple of audits in my time, and even then, you had to substantiate even cash only transactions.

Everything has a receipt. Even if you pay in cash you need a receipt or you don't get the deduction.

We crossed over that line of debate. I have been talking about businesses not reporting taxable income. Sorry, if you missed the switch over.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:36:44  

But that's precisely what we (or at least, I) have been saying all along.

Just because big corporations have to get creative and do the Accounting Limbo through the world of corporate tax law doesn't mean small-time businesses or private citizens don't engage in nominal amounts of tax evasion, even completely unwittingly at times.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:37:15  

Also to note, it helps when you have a person who's knowledge of said business actually posts here.

No speculation, just information, and retorts using facts.

I know Ramy and Sav aren't attacking me or my ex-profession (mostly). They are just referring to what they heard or thought my ex-profession does.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2016-04-21 13:37:19  

What did you think we were talking about when we said "cash only"? That doesn't just refer to them only accepting payment in cash, but also to them using cash only for expenses and payout. They use cash only because they don't make enough to justify automated methods.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:38:41  

But that's precisely what we (or at least, I) have been saying all along.

Just because big corporations have to get creative and do the Accounting Limbo through the world of corporate tax law doesn't mean small-time businesses or private citizens don't engage in nominal amounts of tax evasion, even completely unwittingly at times.
I dealt with both sides though, large multi-nationals and small mom/pops.

What Savael is saying are smaller than even the small mom/pop businesses. Those are the type of businesses that sell from their garage and can be considered to be a hobby in most cases.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-04-21 13:39:00  

What did you think we were talking about when we said "cash only"? That doesn't just refer to them only accepting payment in cash, but also to them using cash only for expenses and payout. They use cash only because they don't make enough to justify automated methods.
Actual businesses, not hobbies.
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:39:23  
What Savael is saying are smaller than even the small mom/pop businesses. Those are the type of businesses that sell from their garage and can be considered to be a hobby in most cases.

But still, technically, income/expenditures that taxes should be paid upon.

But they're not!

Voila!
By Altimaomega 2016-04-21 13:39:38  

Not really. If we go back to the example of actually selling a 7k computer for 250USD (or whatever the hell it was) and claiming a loss, simply for the point of reducing tax burden, you may be reducing the taxes you pay, but you aren't keeping your money.

If neither of those conditions is true (the purchase or sale price), and they are attempting to reduce the tax burden due, well, that's tax fraud. Which is something else entirely.

/sigh..
My only point on that was that it could be done. You can go back and see that I said it was stupid, not advisable, and would more than likely get flagged.

I really don't understand why I need to defend my position on this anymore when we have all agreed that is possible to do, but really damn stupid!
 Ragnarok.Nausi
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2016-04-21 13:40:11  
So we're all on board with the cruz tax plan?

That's the summary from my 10 seconds of skiming.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-04-21 13:41:31  
Ragnarok.Nausi said: »
So we're all on board with the cruz tax plan?

That's the summary from my 10 seconds of skiming.

Only if, by that, you mean that Rooks has put out his own tax plan and you're using our newly-minted nickname for him.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 26 27 28 ... 38 39 40