フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 399 400 401 ... 445 446 447
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2020-12-03 20:09:54  
The goal is to make Req's damage as good as I can reasonably get it. I know it won't ever compare to my Expiacion especially since I have R15 Tizona but it makes me really sad to see 10k Reqs when I do 35-40k Expiacions. I typically use the TP bonus offhand so the attack penalty isn't quite as bad.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!
By Shichishito 2020-12-03 21:11:37  
if attack is capped you could replace your offhand with naegling or maxentius for the extra mind, if it isn't capped TP bonus offhand could help but thats probably what you already use anyway.

if you go with a pocket geo or brd your attack is most likely usually capped tho. if shadowmeh is correct then WSdmg isn't doing much although i think it is still going to do as much or more than overcapping att. since requi is a 5 hit WS and you already use tizona adding multi attack isn't going to do much either.

the only thing thats probably going to add a notable increase to your requi dmg is using sequence main hand but thats all not reasonable as you are overall better off with your tizona/tp bonus combo.

i think the only minor improvement is relic +3 head for those few situations where you don't cap attack and only if you use it exclusively as a opener, as soon as you close with requi for darkness jhakri coronas +SC dmg probably catches up again.

but those are just my guesses, if you want math or spreadsheet numbers you have to wait for someone elses reply.
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-12-03 21:44:24  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
looking at your set again i figured stikini/+1 and/or R15 metamorph +1 might be a good source for mnd and MAYBE replace brutal with telos earring to dampen the att loss from switching ilabrat ring. you'd lose 4$ double attack but gain around 1% tiple attack from aftermath if i'm not mistaken.

however i think the improvements, if any, are so minor that you couldn't tell just from eyeballing.
[+]
By Galkapryme 2020-12-04 07:44:23  
I'm new to BLU, and I can't believe I slept on it so long. Back in the Abyssea days, I did the fast leveling on La Thiene frogs or worms as a standard DW DD. Once at 99, I figured the spells would be a *** to learn and blue magic would be a *** to level, so I stopped (this was long before tomes). After mercing to Master and using tomes, I'm finding the spells easy to learn...just tedious. BUT, I think I decided to start working BLU to make a better sub for PLD and RUN. That said, is there a list of best Blue magic sets for jobs and subjobs?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-12-04 08:18:50  
Whatever you already have will be fine. It's 75 nyzul. blu aoe in anything(*) will kill the mobs. I mean you'll still get ~12 without even bothering to "use" blu just meleeing.

Just have move+

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By Shichishito 2020-12-04 08:38:29  
even NQ jhakri would be enough for lvl 75 nyzul farming, the only difference of having NQ jahkri over BIS gear is you probably have to cast a second subduction to clear smaller mobs (although you still sometimes get a odd resist with BIS...). for golems, soulflayers and those brown battle ships you might want to use different element spells and they take more casts.

i just recommend to get cacharian verve to avoid those annoying interrupts when a lot of mobs are on you, not having it up + not paying much attention can still sometimes lead to a whipe.

i'd take BLU over BRD, i think BRD would drive me crazy with constant recasting of mazurka and tab switching targets.
By SimonSes 2020-12-04 08:42:40  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
blu aoe in anything(*) will kill the mobs.

I dont think its that simple (at least from my perspective of geared blu). Some mobs there resist Subduction, so undergeared you will probably need to cast it twice or more (psycheflayers or Ramparts for example if I recall correctly). You can use different blu aoe too ofc, but solo, you might struggle for mp then and they are also slightly longer to cast, especially without 80% fc set. Set magic hammer and learn what mobs gives you mp when using it. Its all doable undergeared, but imo it requires some more preparation.
By SimonSes 2020-12-04 08:45:53  
Shichishito said: »
i just recommend to get cacharian verve to avoid those annoying interrupts when a lot of mobs are on you, not having it up + not paying much attention can still sometimes lead to a whipe.

With phalanx from /rdm most things there hit for 0 (for me all things hits for 0 because I also use phalanx+ gear). Even if they not hit for 0, phalanx + stoneskin + cocoon and it should take a lot of time to lose that stoneskin and hits for 0 cant interrupt casting.
By Shichishito 2020-12-04 08:52:59  
i agree, a ghetto idle refresh set and some eva/dt set defenitly helps and setting battery charge and/or magic hammer is nice for MP management.
iirc magic hammer is set anyway for the matt bonus trait. i also found it important to take the right route, i remember the one with multiple soulflayers be much more of a hustle then the one with the orobon fishes for example.

and as eiryl already mentioned movementspeed is really nice for this one.
SimonSes said: »
With phalanx from /rdm most things there hit for 0 (for me all things hits for 0 because I also use phalanx+ gear). Even if they not hit for 0, phalanx + stoneskin + cocoon and it should take a lot of time to lose that stoneskin and hits for 0 cant interrupt casting.
interrupts and dieing even when paying no attention became way less of a issue with better gear and with malignance you probably don't have it at all but he asked from a low tier gear lvl perspective. however if i'm not mistaken 0 damage hits can't trigger the flee effect of hippomenes socks and constantly recasting cocoon is annoying so i avoid it.
By SimonSes 2020-12-04 09:08:03  
Shichishito said: »
however if i'm not mistaken 0 damage hits can't trigger the flee effect of hippomenes socks

Well bg wiki says:

Quote:
Triggered By: Receiving Physical Damage. Item can still proc even if damage is not taken from effects like Stoneskin, or if a hit is evaded.
By Shichishito 2020-12-04 09:23:15  
maybe its just placebo but i had the impression i'd get less procs when i used stoneskin while farming escha dragons. anyway, i recommend to omit as much buffs as possible as long as you still feel save. due to its abysmal short duration you'd spend a minute each run just recasting cocoon alone.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-12-04 12:48:15  
It was easy enough to check, I just ran outside Adoulin as a RDM and gathered a bunch of Mandragora (with Phalanx and SS up) and waited. You can proc the boots after taking 0 damage.
[+]
 Asura.Madotsukii
user: Madotsuki
By Asura.Madotsukii 2020-12-04 14:35:42  
Galkapryme said: »
That said, is there a list of best Blue magic sets for jobs and subjobs?
Hello! If you haven't yet, I recommend viewing the first page of this thread with Prothescar's large overview of BLU. For your question in particular, you can jump to Section III Spells. Scroll down a bit after hopping and you'll see some of the commonly used spell sets based on traits, utility, etc.

As for tanking with BLU subjob, the go-to enmity spells are Blank Gaze, Sheep Song, Geist Wall, Jettatura, and Soporific. Cocoon can be set for some extra defense. Beyond that, nothing much else special to set. I personally assign the remaining points to anything that gives HP+, like Healing Breeze. I also set Refueling for niche moments where my haste gets dispelled and my healer is focusing on keeping party alive.
[+]
By cuddlyhamster 2020-12-04 21:01:43  
healing breeze and wild carrot, i think, for run/blu cuz people get slept can run cant wake them.
[+]
 Phoenix.Oyama
サーバ: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-12-05 00:08:16  
My RUN/BLU turtle tanking set:

1. Cocoon
2. Jettatura
3. Helldive
4. Grand Slam
5. Geist Wall
6. Sheep Song
7. Wild Oats
8. Refueling
9. Blank Gaze
10. Healing Breeze
11. Wild Carrot
12. ---
13. ---
14. ---

30/30

Adjust as needed. Hope it helps.
 Asura.Shermansmith
By Asura.Shermansmith 2020-12-05 02:48:43  
Out of the BLU is another great guide.
By Galkapryme 2020-12-05 03:32:55  
All,

Thanks for the pointers. I have a decent understanding of BLU mechanics and what groupings of spells do what. I was just curious about how people set spells specifically for PLD/BLU or RUN/BLU, as I was told /WAR is old school. I understood that the higher tier takes precedence, so I wouldn't imagine adding DEF spells of any kind would be useful (beyond cocoon and metallic body). but I could be misunderstanding how the traits of a subjob are applied.
By Kyniker 2020-12-06 12:04:56  
I took a one-year break and got back a few weeks ago, I see the CDC set has been updated with a few items, but the TP sets stayed the same. I was wondering if Malignance gear is still being just an acc swap for BLU or for Hybrid sets; or if is BiS for TP, some WS, or something like that.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-12-06 12:11:39  
Galkapryme said: »
RUN/BLU, as I was told /WAR is old school.

Sometimes I sub warrior on rune for lazier ambu fights, like this month, where's there's a couple hate resets and monsters tend to run out of range and monsters can silence, which hinders your blu spell casting a bit. Being able to full time defender saves me from having to bother recasting that, foil is fine legion aoe hate, and I can rotate voke/flash on timer, and save my aoe abilities for spike hate. Warcry is still a nice hate tool for when you need it once. Not saying war sub is better, but it's still an option, fight dependent.
[+]
 Phoenix.Oyama
サーバ: Phoenix
user: oyama
By Phoenix.Oyama 2020-12-07 19:05:31  
Malignance is great tp/hybrid gear with Tizona AM3 up.
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-12-07 20:02:39  
Curious to hear some experiences from you guys regarding solo or low man (2 or 3 players + trusts) on Omen bosses as BLU. What sub are you running? What kinda spell/trait set? Tiz/Thib? This is something I’ve been wanting to do on BLU for a while now and haven’t gotten around to trying.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-12-08 05:42:17  
Asura.Lunafreya said: »
Curious to hear some experiences from you guys regarding solo or low man (2 or 3 players + trusts) on Omen bosses as BLU. What sub are you running? What kinda spell/trait set? Tiz/Thib? This is something I’ve been wanting to do on BLU for a while now and haven’t gotten around to trying.

I personally havent tried but I would set:
Code
<slot01>cocoon</slot01>
                <slot02>blinding fulgor</slot02>
                <slot03>heavy strike</slot03>
                <slot04>diffusion ray</slot04>
                <slot06>barbed crescent</slot06>
                <slot07>erratic flutter</slot07>
                <slot08>nat. meditation</slot08>
                <slot09>delta thrust</slot09>
                <slot10>white wind</slot10>
                <slot12>empty thrash</slot12>
                <slot13>fantod</slot13>
                <slot14>tenebral crush</slot14>
                <slot15>sudden lunge</slot15>
                <slot16>thrashing assault</slot16>
                <slot17>occultation</slot17>
                <slot18>quad. continuum</slot18>

as base, then build on that for each boss. Use 5/5 Malignance and Tizona with ilvl offhand.

1. Gin is rather easy. Cure yourself after Zero Hour (flash>White wind). Dont wait for Trusts to do it. They will be busy curing themselves. Sub /run for Flash and double lux rune. You will resist almost everything magic based (both damage and statuses) and Diabolic Claw shouldnt really be a problem too. I think it will miss you a lot, so not sure how important would be keeping Occultation up. If you want to be extra careful I would use Bathy Choker +1 and Dignitary's earring on top of 2x Chirich +1 for +36 Subtle Blow. Strategy is simple. Pop AM3, then solely use Expiacion, but dont spam them. Time them to not get hit with TP move during WS. Position yourself with wall against edge or area and trusts to stay at distance. I would use Sylvie, Monberaux, Ulmia, Koru-Moru, Selh'teus.

No time now to think about other 4.

You can also check Lute on youtube. He soloed 4/5 bosses on SAM I think. You can probably draw many conclusions for BLU your BLU approach watching him.
[+]
By drakefs 2020-12-08 07:03:53  
Asura.Lunafreya said: »

Lowman will heavily depend on what you bring with you. Setups will change based on the support jobs with you.

Fu and Gin will be the easiest, Kyou requires an HP setup to make sure everyone is pushing into 2k hp (1667 of unreistable damage) and Kin will need ways to drop threat or force target changes. Kei is the odd man out, as you will need a magic burst setup for them. The other players would need to be SCH and a BLM for an "Easy" fight. Finally, Ou is just a DPS check in the end. If you can build an Ou pop, you can handle the rehash of the other bosses signature abilities.

Personally, I subbed WAR when running with 2 other duo boxers (I duo box as well, so a 6 man party) but that was before Tizona. Still used Thib for OH (party was MNK, BLU, GEO, BRD, COR and WHM). Next time we run one, I will probably sub DRG now that I have Tizona. I have 2/5 Malignance (Head and Body) and had no issues tanking Fu or Gin.

If you want to solo, 5/5 is probably your best bet (do not want to stress a trust WHM). Geared properly, you could probably solo Gin with ease. Sanguine Blade is probably the most important tool when soloing, as it normally heals me to full @ 1k tp.
[+]
By SimonSes 2020-12-08 07:17:09  
drakefs said: »
The other players would need to be SCH and a BLM for an "Easy" fight.

I don't think this is true anymore. It's much faster and easier to 4 step light now imo. On solo BLU I would probably try to solo 4 step light and mb when burst affinity is up.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-12-08 08:14:50  
Thanks for the input folks. I'll report back with my attempts/results.
By SimonSes 2020-12-08 10:18:22  
Generally I would try with Gin first. It's easiest. If you will go for Kyou remember that his 10000 conal damage is like 20 yalms or something and it's much easier to position trusts far behind you (so you are for example 5 yalms from Kyou and your trusts are 10 yalms behind you and 15 yalms from Kyou), because cone is very wide further away. It's a big mistake people do in Ally setup too. They run on top of tank for this move, while they should stand much further to avoid being hit by other tp moves.
By Taint 2020-12-08 10:46:29  
Gin with a Malignance set is very tame now. 100% start there. No need for RUN sub or anything.
 Asura.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2020-12-14 20:14:44  
Has anyone ever learned blu magic in a lair reive? I just spent 30 minutes trying to learn Retinal Glare in Yorcia and I want to die now.
First Page 2 3 ... 399 400 401 ... 445 446 447