2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 4 ... 445 446 447
By Solrain 2012-05-12 13:36:56  
Very awesome guide!

brb translating the sword guide into Japanese and posting it on every JP BLU forum I can find.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ustav
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Ustav
By Cerberus.Ustav 2012-05-16 14:32:05  
For the magical set would seiokona beret be superior(or a good alternative) to teal chapeau?

Edit: Meant superior/(good alternative)
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-16 22:46:50  
Yes, would also be superior to the Thaumas hat that I have in the OP.

Edited the Diffusion notes to reflect recent changes.
 Cerberus.Ustav
By Cerberus.Ustav 2012-05-16 23:01:37  
Yeah i didn't even notice blu was able to wear it til today x.x. Gogo Imp spammage
 Seraph.Busterwolf
サーバ: Seraph
user: Kaope
By Seraph.Busterwolf 2012-05-17 07:40:30  
Few questions:

1) Tessera Saio, where does it rank for magical nukes? It should be the best body for CW, not sure the rest.

2) What about Athos's Gloves? I don't see it being mentioned anywhere.

3) Zaffre Cape, it seems to me that it's only worth it when you have Khepri Wristbands? Because you can only break new tier provided you have both?

PS: Great guide ^^)b
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-17 17:24:12  
Wait... There are tiers to blu nukes? Thought that was only for physical magic.

Edit, ah, your questions are separate. Nvm then.
 Hades.Triet
サーバ: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2012-05-17 21:21:06  
Curious. Why do you TP in the Rancor Collar? is the +10% Damage taken worth the +5% Crit hit rate?
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2012-05-17 21:40:40  
Hades.Triet said: »
Curious. Why do you TP in the Rancor Collar? is the +10% Damage taken worth the +5% Crit hit rate?
The more damaging moves are usually announced a couple seconds beforehand, giving one time to swap into appropriate -pdt/-mdt...

So yeah, it's worth it.
By fyreus 2012-05-18 03:51:16  
Would the 6str/dex boots beat an augmented 4str/2blu mederi brogues? Getting 6str/3blu feet seems to be extremely rare (i can't even get 3blu skill/3+str but i try whenever i can) and would a warwolf belt 4acc aug be worth keeping over a wanion belt?

Not to pick at your sets but i've put some acc into mine in fear of missing and want to swap out my ire torque for that tjkurrpa neck. The other thing i was wondering about was if the fstr cap on later blu spells are so high that i should worry about raising str or maintain balance while also consider mod stats?
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-18 06:00:12  

In most of the situations +10% dmg doesn't really matter unless you get one shotted. Just have healers cure you after you take extra dmg, not really a big deal. Playing defensively isn't required that much nowadays with all the temps, fana, food and unlimited MP, that faster killing speed out-weight it(most of the time, at least) IMO.

If really required, just switch to -DT set or something.
 Ragnarok.Arcalimo
user: arcalimo
By Ragnarok.Arcalimo 2012-05-18 07:03:26  
fyreus said: »
Would the 6str/dex boots beat an augmented 4str/2blu mederi brogues? Getting 6str/3blu feet seems to be extremely rare (i can't even get 3blu skill/3+str but i try whenever i can) and would a warwolf belt 4acc aug be worth keeping over a wanion belt?

Not to pick at your sets but i've put some acc into mine in fear of missing and want to swap out my ire torque for that tjkurrpa neck. The other thing i was wondering about was if the fstr cap on later blu spells are so high that i should worry about raising str or maintain balance while also consider mod stats?

In all the gear possibilities i figured for phisical spells, the 3 skill on the feets alone woulnd't raise the D value, idk if i'm missing some combination. But i'd stick to kacura +1 (more str, dex for the mods when needed, possible cdc feet if you don't have anything better and inventory +1).

About the rancor collar question, its good to tp on it, but IMO, if you are on a situation where you can get unshooted or even in red hp while using it i would change it for something else (i use fortitude for those situations, no portus :/ and can't figure anything better now).
On those situations, sure, killing the mob faster raises your chances to win, but having something on your neck that can get you killed in 1 mistake its reducing your chances of winning way more. We are all humans so don't spect every fight to go perfect as you will almost always have some mistake for sure.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-05-19 19:34:35  

More than worth it. PDT/MDT sets will be swapping the Rancor Collar out in situations where that extra +10% Damage Taken is pertinent.

Seraph.Busterwolf said: »
Few questions:

1) Tessera Saio, where does it rank for magical nukes? It should be the best body for CW, not sure the rest.

Praeco doublet is far superior for nukes besides Charged Whisker and Gates of Hades.

Quote:
2) What about Athos's Gloves? I don't see it being mentioned anywhere.

Self explanatory, but I'll add a note. When they're active they're to be used over other gloves.

Quote:
3) Zaffre Cape, it seems to me that it's only worth it when you have Khepri Wristbands? Because you can only break new tier provided you have both?

PS: Great guide ^^)b

No. It's always superior to something like Vigilance Mantle. Not by a lot, mind you, but it is superior.

fyreus said: »
Would the 6str/dex boots beat an augmented 4str/2blu mederi brogues?

Yes. Mostly on STR/DEX spells, on STR/VIT the difference is miniscule.

@All of the comments I see about D tiers: Blue Magic Skill is effective for Blue Magic Attack as well. Remember to consider that when comparing skill with other stats.
By fyreus 2012-05-19 21:29:29  
I think i've cleared out 10 inventory slots after getting a better understanding of a few things here that didn't make sense at first o.O
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-21 21:30:22  
As my TP and WS slowly evolve in to what I hope will one day be the best, I have a question as to what would be best in my current chant set.

Prothescar's set here is what I'm aiming for currently.

This is what I'm using atm:

My primary question is about about my head slot. Since I don't have toci's would Ocelomeh be my best option or would Aias or Thaumas be better?
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2012-05-21 21:35:23  
Ocelomeh has 5 more dex so I would think that would put it pretty far ahead of Aias. You can also get the HQ Ocelomeh body until you get Toci's.
 Cerberus.Ustav
By Cerberus.Ustav 2012-05-21 21:39:36  
What are your thoughts on magavan frock? Honestly I just hate the way the doublet looks ;;

Also myrmex mittens Never fking drop ;; seen 3 wanion belt but no gloves ;;
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-21 21:52:13  
Legion drop iirc, so... good luck with that.
 Cerberus.Ustav
By Cerberus.Ustav 2012-05-21 21:56:24  
oh I know where it drops from.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-21 22:00:57  
Shiva.Viciousss said: »
Ocelomeh has 5 more dex so I would think that would put it pretty far ahead of Aias. You can also get the HQ Ocelomeh body until you get Toci's.

All of my gil is going toward HMPs atm so I dunno if I want to slow my 95 and eventually 99 progress down by dropping a great deal of cash in to a +1 body. I'll try out the head and see how things work.

Thanks for the input!
 Quetzalcoatl.Krysys
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: krysys
By Quetzalcoatl.Krysys 2012-05-23 17:29:51  
Why does the Ocelo. Head (even NQ, but HQ considered) clearly beat AF3+2? Are we assuming capped acc? Is it because of the added dDex/crit potential? I don't need a math rundown, just a quick cliff-notes justification from someone knowledgeable. I would have assumed they were close, but I see the Ocelo+1 in nearly every optimal TP set. Just curious. I'm clueless as to why, and will be at the AH grabbing one shortly. =)

Also, a suggestion for your spellcast (or anyone's really) so that you don't always default into TP gear when finishing spells/abilities. Set up a variable that stores the gear you were using prior to using the ability, and then when the ability is finished, switch into the gear referenced by the variable. At the bare minimum, this at least saves a macro press if you happen to be swinging in your eva/pdt gear.

Quick example:

--Set a variable to store your current set and default it to something. Can be anything, just so it has a default.
<var name="currentSet">TPgear</var>

--use a spell/ability alias to call a change gear function. (IE. Just make a macro "/ma "Earth Spirit" <me>") and store it as your currentSet.

<if Spell="Earth Spirit">
<action type="Var" cmd="set currentSet evasion"/>

Then when you use any ability:

--Swap into gear of your choosing.
<action type="equip" when="precast" set="STR"/>

--Swap back into the gear you had on before using the ability.
<action type="equip" when="aftercast" set="$currentSet"/>

Might be a more efficient way to do it, but this is what I've found works for me.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-23 19:22:59  
Most talk about damage is assuming capped accuracy. If you aren't capped then you can start sacrificing damage for acc until you are capped. As far as tp sets go, mavi head is one of the best things to start with. I'm not sure what other blus do but when I know I'm gunna fight something that has high eva, I tend to switch to pizza. But to be honest, my current tp set has a shitton of acc in it with all that thaumas so only really high end content, thf mobs or other gimmicky things makes me change anything.
By Solrain 2012-05-23 19:29:43  
Quetzalcoatl.Krysys said: »
Why does the Ocelo. Head (even NQ, but HQ considered) clearly beat AF3+2? Are we assuming capped acc? Is it because of the added dDex/crit potential? I don't need a math rundown, just a quick cliff-notes justification from someone knowledgeable. I would have assumed they were close, but I see the Ocelo+1 in nearly every optimal TP set. Just curious. I'm clueless as to why, and will be at the AH grabbing one shortly. =)

It matches Thaumas a lot better than Mavi does.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2012-05-24 00:34:32  
Solrain said: »

It also provides 1% more haste and a lot of dex for dDex ie crit rate.

Also you wont regret your purchase. It is a very versatile piece and will find its way into many sets.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-05-24 00:43:33  
The extra haste is irrelevant in a set with 3-4/5 Thaumas and Twilight Belt; you're already at 26% haste with Mavi +2.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Afania
user: Afania
By Ragnarok.Afania 2012-05-24 10:14:01  

I solo/lowman stuff on BLU a lot, besides DEX, extra regen during TP phrase also save some cures in the long run.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-24 10:22:49  
And AGI means more evasion and parry.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2012-05-24 11:09:01  
Think the parry thing was disproven.
 Cerberus.Pukushu
user: pukushu
By Cerberus.Pukushu 2012-05-24 11:14:01  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said: »
The extra haste is irrelevant in a set with 3-4/5 Thaumas and Twilight Belt; you're already at 26% haste with Mavi +2.

I agree. I read the question different and answered it as if it was asking in general why Oce is used. For instance a person that doesnt have Thaumas would be able to use Oce head to avoid using Mavi body to tp in.

Also I suppose if you are counting AGI modding parry and evasion then you should mention subtle blow, but none of those things add to the damage output so I didnt mention them or regen. Because unless you are using it for a solo piece those four reasons are poor basis to choose damage dealing equipment.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-24 12:46:56  
Siren.Kyte said: »
Think the parry thing was disproven.

I might recall something being said about that now that you mention it. Not that it really matters, parry is a joke and doesn't add much to the defensive side since they made it so limited.

Cerberus.Pukushu said: »
Also I suppose if you are counting AGI modding parry and evasion then you should mention subtle blow, but none of those things add to the damage output so I didnt mention them or regen. Because unless you are using it for a solo piece those four reasons are poor basis to choose damage dealing equipment.
I mention defensive stats because it's a nice bonus, an added value to gear you should already be aiming for.
 Lakshmi.Alryc
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Alryc
By Lakshmi.Alryc 2012-05-24 13:27:18  
Solrain said: »

I'm convinced SE is on a quest to make Blu look as ugly as possible.

I miss the look of Mirage Jubbah and Homam gear
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 ... 445 446 447