Advice For A New White Mage =)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Advice for a new White Mage =)
Advice for a new White Mage =)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-01-25 17:37:43  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Trial 834 - Finishing blow with Divine - basically have your DD get the mobs (I used Uleguerand Range Bunnies and Buffaloes) bring them to you get the HP% of the mob to under 10% and then nuke rinse and repeat takes a while though no weather bonus.

Just go to Xarc in the past on light-day :P
The tiger-pets die just by poking them
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-01-25 17:47:06  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Trial 834 - Finishing blow with Divine - basically have your DD get the mobs (I used Uleguerand Range Bunnies and Buffaloes) bring them to you get the HP% of the mob to under 10% and then nuke rinse and repeat takes a while though no weather bonus.
Just go to Xarc in the past on light-day :P The tiger-pets die just by poking them
This is the trial I am on now..

^ is this really the best place to go? Or where else did ppl go for these kills?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-25 18:01:04  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Just go to Xarc in the past on light-day :P The tiger-pets die just by poking them

^ is this really the best place to go? Or where else did ppl go for these kills?
I dont think that trial needs day just light killshot. I did tiger pets in bea glacier [ S ]. Anyone can do the trial with you as long as someone gets the light killshot and you all have trial stave equipped. so someone could just come blm to speed it up

I did rabbit pets in Bibiki, but it took forever solo. The best way to do it is Abyssea. If you can convince a BLM friend to help, can have him -ga+sleepga and killshot with Searing Light (assuming you have smn unlocked). But this requires farming time/azure so you get 2hr boxes to redo searing light.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 18:06:34  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Alllure is awesome... and chances are you wouldn't need more refresh if you were curing stronger and had alot more mp to begin with... also usually not so hard up that need a whm to proc stuff
Allure is really a so-so atma for whm. The mnd doesn't add to your cures that much and +mp is pretty eh. And again, enmity shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're sitting there dumping curaga 4's constantly.

Guess it depends on what you do with whm, in low man situations, it definitely helps to be able to assist with red proccing. Heck, recently I've been doing MM/Sea Daughter/Beyond as WHM/WAR so I can do azure kills, red procs and still do all the healing/enfeebling though admittedly only having one person to heal helps, lol.

this seems so odd to me.. to each his own.

Do you guys who run with these unconventional setups run this way no matter the NM or just the lower tier NMs? inb4everythingiseasy

I still run low with MP on occasion from cure bombing VI & V / spamming haste/enfeebs/-na's.. this is with cure pot 50%, using aff sol, Light Arts, Sublimination, at least 16-22mp/tick refresh (don't always get Ballads), and a base MP of 2000.

Not a majority of NMs, not even many NMs but I still ran across this sometimes on some of the Caturae maybe a couple other I dunno. I still end up being fine utilizing temp items.. I dunno I always seem a little shocked that I still need to use temp items but it does happen some times.

This is with basically a MNK tanking with good counter rate

Anyway I would just think I would need to use temps even more often if I swapped out my 5mp refresh atma. I also would think I would notice the 13% slow on my recasts when I am in that situation where I am just cure bombing VI & V.. again not often but sometimes I'm waiting to spam my next Cure especially in an oh ***situation where I am weakened. I use 7% haste on top of fastcast for precast and fastcast from ambition atma
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 18:20:12  
I guess I have the advantage that I'm mainly duoing and with a thf at that, so I really don't have to spam that much curing. The above setup is what I'm currently using to farm glavoid pops with. For glavoid itself I switch to whm/nin and MM/ambition/ and I'm still undetermined on what to use for 3rd one, tried allure, didn't really care for it, probably gonna stick with the caturae hp one.

For anything other than heroes I'd probably be fine with the above setup unless I specifically want stun for something in which I'd case I'd go /blm instead. Would keep the atma setup though.

Edit: And I've duoed all the original 4 caturae's like this, though I don't think I was using /war at the time since I hadn't realized/forgot about the extra red procs you can get from it. And for caturae since I wouldn't need to azure anything I'd probably use ambition as 3rd atma. As for recast, I guess if you're weakened it can be an issue, otherwise I don't really find a case where I need to go V -> VI -> V back to back to back like that. I can't think of a case where I had to go V -> VI and then was still waiting on recast on V when I needed it.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 18:26:03  
yea when I lowman seals or most NMs in Vision/Scars I don't really run into the problem I'm talking about. I have run into it with the Zone bosses and the Caturae in Heroes though.

I have a THF friend I duo with too lol it is nice, their EVA build is pretty nuts for a majority of the NMs
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-01-25 18:26:16  
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

I have a level 70 NPC so I brought it out and duoed tigers in Jugner Forest (S) with me as WHM. With a blood tank (the NPC), I have to cure a lot, so more cures = Cureskin and higher Holys, which makes the killshot damage easier. That's how I did it anyways.

Least now the tiger pets are free. Back when I did it, manaburning there was still popular (regarding the Xarc (S) suggestion).
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 18:30:07  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
yea when I lowman seals or most NMs in Vision/Scars I don't really run into the problem I'm talking about. I have run into it with the Zone bosses and the Caturae in Heroes though. I have a THF friend I duo with too lol it is nice, their EVA build is pretty nuts for a majority of the NMs
Well, caturae in Heroes aren't really what I'd call duoable anyways, lol. Heroes zone bosses... I haven't tried duoing so I can't really say, still kinda stuck in older zones until I finish ukon, lol.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 18:35:59  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
yea when I lowman seals or most NMs in Vision/Scars I don't really run into the problem I'm talking about. I have run into it with the Zone bosses and the Caturae in Heroes though. I have a THF friend I duo with too lol it is nice, their EVA build is pretty nuts for a majority of the NMs
Well, caturae in Heroes aren't really what I'd call duoable anyways, lol. Heroes zone bosses... I haven't tried duoing so I can't really say, still kinda stuck in older zones until I finish ukon, lol.

I think you could probably duo Raja. Not to say no one in my party did anything but I do think it was mostly our MNK and I (I'm the only WHM most people lost their /sub from TP move anyway and we pretty much told everyone to stay back.. until 1% ***went bad and everyone had to jump in to get the kill) that being said I agree I have never tried to duo the zone bosses or the caturae in Heroes and I'm sure someone could say they can do it or did it blah blah e-peen. Ule. Grand seemed like the most likely that you could duo just need to deal with the death moves.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 18:42:36  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
I think you could probably duo Raja. Not to say no one in my party did anything but I do think it was mostly our MNK and I (I'm the only WHM most people lost their /sub from TP move anyway and we pretty much told everyone to stay back.. until 1% ***went bad and everyone had to jump in to get the kill) that being said I agree I have never tried to duo the zone bosses or the caturae in Heroes and I'm sure someone could say they can do it or did it blah blah e-peen. Ule. Grand seemed like the most likely that you could duo just need to deal with the death moves.
Yeah, Raja I could see duoing with mnk or nin. Duoing the chariot for it seems a pain though, lol. Guess nin with migawari would work.

Ule actually seems the most annoying one to duo, both bird and urag seem easy duos. Probably would be annoying to do urag as mnk/whm duo though.
 Valefor.Mithano
サーバ: Valefor
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2011-01-25 18:53:59  
Quote:
Every WHM uses MM atma + another refresh one (I personally use Ambition for the mov+), some use Allure some use AoA.

Argh! I had a big discussion about this a few days ago, when I finally picked up MM. I love it for BLM, but honestly, for whm, I just can't justify. I use Ambition, Allure, and Rescuer for atma, and there's none of those I can sacrifice for MM.

I do still have enmity issues, even though I'm nearly exclusively using Cure3/5, and a rare 6. As good as my guys are, I am usually the only whm in a full ally, so I do a lot of curing and I am usually right behind the tank on enmity.

Further, mp over time usually doesn't kill me - single cures do. My personal experience has been that when a person gets hit, they get hit -hard-, and need the max cure I can dole out, and asap. All the fast cast and -enmity make the 3 I use unchangeable.

But that's just me. I know some other whms have more MP issues, and use MM/Rescuer/Allure. I don't think there's a wrong mix, it's play style.

On the Cure staff, the lightsday requirement is a royal pain, but otherwise the trial is certainly one of the easiest Magian there is. Remember pixies in abyssea can count for the elemental trials.

Edit: Also, don't try to be the !! proc person -and- the main cure. Pick one. Since the atma make such a huge difference, and it's annoying/impossible to change those mid-fight, don't try to do both.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 19:03:27  
Valefor.Mithano said:
Quote:
Every WHM uses MM atma + another refresh one (I personally use Ambition for the mov+), some use Allure some use AoA.

Argh! I had a big discussion about this a few days ago, when I finally picked up MM. I love it for BLM, but honestly, for whm, I just can't justify. I use Ambition, Allure, and Rescuer for atma, and there's none of those I can sacrifice for MM.

I do still have enmity issues, even though I'm nearly exclusively using Cure3/5, and a rare 6. As good as my guys are, I am usually the only whm in a full ally, so I do a lot of curing and I am usually right behind the tank on enmity.

Further, mp over time usually doesn't kill me - single cures do. My personal experience has been that when a person gets hit, they get hit -hard-, and need the max cure I can dole out, and asap. All the fast cast and -enmity make the 3 I use unchangeable.

But that's just me. I know some other whms have more MP issues, and use MM/Rescuer/Allure. I don't think there's a wrong mix, it's play style.

On the Cure staff, the lightsday requirement is a royal pain, but otherwise the trial is certainly one of the easiest Magian there is. Remember pixies in abyssea can count for the elemental trials.

Edit: Also, don't try to be the !! proc person -and- the main cure. Pick one. Since the atma make such a huge difference, and it's annoying/impossible to change those mid-fight, don't try to do both.

Rescuer offers me nothing I want personally. My cures are beyond fastcast cap with what I do and I don't suffer on other spells for fastcast. I hit the 50% cure potency without having to sacrifice an atma. The only way I would ever not use MM on WHM personally would be if a new 10mp/tick refresh atma was introduced, it's essentially my baby.

Also I used to not use Cure VI back when cap was 80 if I was exping and stuff but now I use it all the time. I am 95% of the time the only WHM whether I am duoing, in a party of 6 or a full ally of 18. I don't ever use Cure III and I rarely use Cure IV (only in emergency). I would rather throw a Cure V on someone for the extra Stoneskin and less -enm than bother with a IV
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 19:08:17  
Valefor.Mithano said:
Argh! I had a big discussion about this a few days ago, when I finally picked up MM. I love it for BLM, but honestly, for whm, I just can't justify. I use Ambition, Allure, and Rescuer for atma, and there's none of those I can sacrifice for MM. I do still have enmity issues, even though I'm nearly exclusively using Cure3/5, and a rare 6. As good as my guys are, I am usually the only whm in a full ally, so I do a lot of curing and I am usually right behind the tank on enmity. Further, mp over time usually doesn't kill me - single cures do. My personal experience has been that when a person gets hit, they get hit -hard-, and need the max cure I can dole out, and asap. All the fast cast and -enmity make the 3 I use unchangeable. But that's just me. I know some other whms have more MP issues, and use MM/Rescuer/Allure. I don't think there's a wrong mix, it's play style. On the Cure staff, the lightsday requirement is a royal pain, but otherwise the trial is certainly one of the easiest Magian there is. Remember pixies in abyssea can count for the elemental trials. Edit: Also, don't try to be the !! proc person -and- the main cure. Pick one. Since the atma make such a huge difference, and it's annoying/impossible to change those mid-fight, don't try to do both.
I can't see any reason at all to use ambition over MM. You should be able to cap cast time without it if you're using either faster casting sub and it's not even that much fast cast to begin with.

And I don't see how you can say, it's play style, and then tell me not to do red procs. Guess what I can do both perfectly fine. I can even do blue proccing since whm gets 10/15 blunt procs including a whm only one.
[+]
 Valefor.Mithano
user: mithano
By Valefor.Mithano 2011-01-25 19:20:51  
Quote:
And I don't see how you can say, it's play style, and then tell me not to do red procs. Guess what I can do both perfectly fine.

Atma/gear - If I'm doing proc, I want atma that have regain or ACC or something similar. If I'm curing, I want other ones. I think they're mutually exclusive - I don't think you can both DD and be at the top of your curing abilities simultaneously. Can you?

As to fast cast, how are you capping? I guess I missed the memo on that, I'm certainly not at cap.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 19:32:16  
Valefor.Mithano said:
Quote:
And I don't see how you can say, it's play style, and then tell me not to do red procs. Guess what I can do both perfectly fine.
Atma/gear - If I'm doing proc, I want atma that have regain or ACC or something similar. If I'm curing, I want other ones. I think they're mutually exclusive - I don't think you can both DD and be at the top of your curing abilities simultaneously. Can you? As to fast cast, how are you capping? I guess I missed the memo on that, I'm certainly not at cap.
Because I only need 1 atma to do proccing? And I only need 1 atma to do curing really, refresh. My 3rd atma I can use to boost one or the other or even do other stuff like using beyond for azure lights.

As for fast cast.

Merits: 20%
AF3+2 legs: 12%
Cure Clogs: 15%
/RDM or /SCH: 14% or 10%
Orison Locket: 5%
Loquacious: 2%
Incantor: 2%

Between all these things, you should be able to get your cures to 50% cast time without the need of atma. Also the atma tiself has been tested to only be 4% fast cast so it's not really even giving you much to begin with.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 19:35:58  
Valefor.Mithano said:

As to fast cast, how are you capping? I guess I missed the memo on that, I'm certainly not at cap.

cures?

full merits on healing casting time
(precast) cure clogs
(precast) incantor stone
/sch light arts
ambition atma
(precast) af3+1 legs only precast until I get the +2s then I'll keep em on whole cast

If I needed more for non-cures I could get Veela Cape, Orison
Locket, Vivid Strap, Loquacious Earring but it's just not something I need to worry about, maybe I don't hit fastcap on all spells but the one's I'm most worried about I don't think could get quicker.
 Leviathan.Niniann
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-25 20:10:59  
Valefor.Mithano said:
Atma/gear - If I'm doing proc, I want atma that have regain or ACC or something similar. If I'm curing, I want other ones. I think they're mutually exclusive - I don't think you can both DD and be at the top of your curing abilities simultaneously. Can you?

You don't DD for TP, you regain to 100% using either Perfect Attendance, VV, or Sea Daughter(The slow isn't that bad in certain situations, for instance it's perfectly fine for Shinryu, but I still try to not use it) or a mix of them. Then you do a cure VI to your tank for cureskin, run in WS, run out, cure again then you're good to go.

Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Yeah, Raja I could see duoing with mnk or nin. Duoing the chariot for it seems a pain though, lol. Guess nin with migawari would work.

Ule actually seems the most annoying one to duo, both bird and urag seem easy duos. Probably would be annoying to do urag as mnk/whm duo though.

Both Raja and Chariot can in fact be duo'd by NIN+WHM. Most things in the game are duoable, tbh.
 Valefor.Houppelande
By Valefor.Houppelande 2011-01-26 13:29:38  
I love using affl-Misery close to the tank (where I can take dmg) to spam cura II, & Esuna. With MM/Ambition and /SCH I never run out of MP.

Obviously you can't do this for all NMs in Abyssea since some will flat out lay you out. So I analyze the NM and if the case calls for it, I sit back and use affl-solace to give my tank stoneskin with each cure.
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-01-26 14:04:09  
How come ppl are using Ambition so much? Aren't there better Atma's aroud to use?

Sure the speed is nice but wouldn't even an Atma with Regen/Refresh or Regain be better? Hell even Apoc would work for insta cast..well and RR!!
[+]
 Asura.Biddy
サーバ: Asura
user: BunkMonk
By Asura.Biddy 2011-01-26 14:29:52  
I use MM and ambition, but then when I'm WHM'ing in abyssea, I'm there for the basic WHM support and/or used for staggering yellow only. I know some groups ask the WHM to proc the other colors, so in that case I could see some other Atma replacing ambition. But in general, the 5mp/tick and fast cast from Ambition is nice, the movement speed+ is just an added bonus. ;)
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-26 14:57:55  
I use Ambition so I can get another refresh 5mp/tick. Out of all the refresh atmas (besides MM) I like this one the most because I love movement speed :)

I plan on replacing Allure with AoA once I get access to Shinryu to give it a try but I don't want to replace 5mp/tick.

Comparing the refresh atmas that are 5mp/tick I guess Perfect Attendance is cool but I have not completed: "Clear all 50 Assault missions" and honestly even if I did I don't think I would use it Regen and Regain don't really help me. If I get hit 10/hp a tic won't fix or save me where as I could see it helping someone who was DD or soloing. It's pretty rare that I am used for red/blue!! when we lowman.. if I need to I can just pop a wing
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2011-01-26 14:58:18  
I MM/Ambition if I'm just looking for flat out refresh (EXP PT's/Solo exp'ing, etc), otherwise it's MM/Allure.

Personally, I wouldn't waste a slot with AoA unless I was TP'ing things for staggers. Quick Magic really isn't something I'd ever intentionally rely on, so my third atma would probably be more Refresh.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-26 15:06:59  
Sylph.Hitetsu said:

Personally, I wouldn't waste a slot with AoA unless I was TP'ing things for staggers. Quick Magic really isn't something I'd ever intentionally rely on

That was my original thoughts but some people here made me reconsider, in either case I'm going to give it a try and see if I like it over Allure
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2011-01-26 15:12:10  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Sylph.Hitetsu said:

Personally, I wouldn't waste a slot with AoA unless I was TP'ing things for staggers. Quick Magic really isn't something I'd ever intentionally rely on

That was my original thoughts but some people here made me reconsider, in either case I'm going to give it a try and see if I like it over Allure

It's actually not too bad but when lowmanning for example not worrying about casting reraise whenever you die is pretty nice. You can just keep dying over and over again. Occasionally Quick raises are fun too. Especially good for zombying something.
 Valefor.Houppelande
By Valefor.Houppelande 2011-01-26 15:40:49  
Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
not worrying about casting reraise whenever you die is pretty nice. You can just keep dying over and over again.
If you keep dying "over and over again" as a WHM, you're doing something terribly wrong. . .
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-01-26 15:42:54  
Valefor.Houppelande said:
Cerberus.Finalvegeta said:
not worrying about casting reraise whenever you die is pretty nice. You can just keep dying over and over again.
If you keep dying "over and over again" as a WHM, you're doing something terribly wrong. . .
Ehh not always sometimes you have to zombie and RR is perfect for that..

yes I get your point but his is still valid.
 Valefor.Houppelande
By Valefor.Houppelande 2011-01-26 15:53:13  
Zorander - Could you please give me an example of a mob that you had to zombie in Abyssea?
 Ramuh.Sagittario
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Sagi
By Ramuh.Sagittario 2011-01-26 15:56:33  
If anyone on Ramuh wants to buy Cure Clogs send me a pm :)
[+]
 Leviathan.Bladefury
user: Bladefury
By Leviathan.Bladefury 2011-01-26 15:57:35  
My group always has no more than 8 or 9 actual characters playing, with several mules, and I prefer our WHM uses AoA out of one of the 3 atmas. On some things, stuff just has a tendancy to go bad, and a WHM that can't be kept down can help turn a wipe into a victory. That being said, not saying that it should be relied upon, because if you're planning on going the zombie route ahead of time, you should probably fix your strat =P

Besides, 3 atmas for a WHM is more than what is necessary really. An occassional insta cast with the C5/C6 back up immediately as an example, can be far more useful than a bigger MP pool and a slightly bigger cure (assuming capped cure potency from gear, not using Rescuer)

Edit: to a post that wasn't there before I hit my response, Bukhis comes to mind when you just have bad luck on TP moves... I really hate that mob.