Advice For A New White Mage =)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Advice for a new White Mage =)
Advice for a new White Mage =)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-25 03:02:45  
Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia said:
If a mob is new to me or I don't quite have the mob family memorized, I keep ffxiclopedia open and off to the side behind my FFXI window so I can quickly take a glance to see what a mob's TP move does and what I need to remove. A WHM's job is knowing what status effects to remove and how to remove them. A lot of people seem to forget that and just go in blind, and then you wind up wiping to Yaanei at 3% because the WHM didn't know that Sacrifice removes Zombie and kept trying to spam cures instead.

Adding on to this: You should also have good communication with your tank(s). At least back when things were new and nothing was on wiki (probably not the case anymore, most things are probably documented), you'd need to communicate heavily with the people you were healing since the new mobs were not identical replicas of their former incarnations (though you should look up the family anyway to have a general idea).

For instance if you're fighting Yaanei when it was first released, my tank would say "St-20" and I'd automatically know that I should Sacrifice. (You know, if the fact their HP wasn't going up wasn't an indicator or anything.)

tl;dr: Knowledge is always great, but there should also be some form of communication between yourself and the tank.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2011-01-25 03:11:52  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
tl;dr: Knowledge is always great, but there should also be some form of communication between yourself and the tank.

When in doubt, use Sacrifice! :'D

It really won't wipe the ally if you die but, it will wipe the ally if the tank dies! D:
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 03:23:30  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
For instance if you're fighting Yaanei when it was first released, my tank would say "St-20" and I'd automatically know that I should Sacrifice. (You know, if the fact their HP wasn't going up wasn't an indicator or anything.)

Just out of curiosity, what the heck does St-20 mean? lol
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-01-25 03:47:47  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
+2 WHM Body is an option if you can hit 50% cure pot without it for the Afflatus Solace bonuses it would be nice

I do this, but without Medicine Ring (which IMO you shouldn't really use inside Abyssea) you can only hit 49% Cure Potency, (well, 50 if you use Serpentes but I'd rather have the extra ENM-, so I guess I'm a liar you can have 50...) but it's not a huge deal. My cureskins are about 500HP, lol. Way better than 1% potency.

My Set:

Why all the -enm? Outisde aby I can see why, but inside it's kinda useless? MM + Allure = -40 alone, allmost at cap allready :P
 Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2011-01-25 03:55:45  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:

Just out of curiosity, what the heck does St-20 mean? lol

Zombie effect.

Quote:
A special super-curse, on a similar level as Doom, but with different effects. Affected players cannot recover HP or MP by any means. Any kind of gain to HP or MP is suppressed- this includes Refresh and Regen, as well as any kind of Drain or Aspir effects.

This effect was previously known as "ST20" before the June 2010 version update.
 Asura.Rinkydink
サーバ: Asura
user: rinkydink
By Asura.Rinkydink 2011-01-25 04:37:14  
Thanks for this thread Kres.. ive been thinking same things myself!

I dont have time for Surya's TOTM yet, but apollo's, nobles and serpentes is best cure potency i have for now..

gonna try get my whm back later
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-01-25 04:40:09  
Asura.Rinkydink said:
Thanks for this thread Kres.. ive been thinking same things myself!

I dont have time for Surya's TOTM yet, but apollo's, nobles and serpentes is best cure potency i have for now..

gonna try get my whm back later

I was delaying my staff for ages, but it's actually way easier to make than ice\thunder etc, think it took me like 2-3 days of work, not using all day :p Only the pixie-part took awhile!
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-25 05:08:23  
Ive been wondering why all this talk of -enm for WHM. When I do events, the WHM ONLY pulls if the mob has some kinda hate reset.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-25 09:28:37  
Sylph.Kimble said:
Ive been wondering why all this talk of -enm for WHM. When I do events, the WHM ONLY pulls if the mob has some kinda hate reset.

It's a valid point.
One can argue that -Enmity for WHM falls under the heading of "rather safe than sorry".

I would argue that a "good" WHM is not just a cure-bot.
Casting Flash when tanks' shadows are down, using Misery/Esuna to remove debuffs AOE-style, casting Auspice on melees, casting Holy when one has a good amount of Solace charged up, using Accession/Stoneskin ... all this can build up quite a lot of hate over a lengthy battle.

Granted, any decent endgame tank should be able to overwhelm the WHM's hate profile. Still, mistakes happen, and -Enmity is a practical stat for WHMs to wear.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-25 09:39:26  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Why all the -enm? Outisde aby I can see why, but inside it's kinda useless? MM + Allure = -40 alone, allmost at cap allready :P

I don't use Allure ever, lol. It depends on what I'm doing, but typically I use MM/Perfect Attendance/VV(or Sea Daughter), since I'm typically the one proccing/helping to proc !!'s. Also on that note, I find the third atma slot if not used for regain would be better spent on another refresh(for the times you need it, which can be most things if you're the only WHM) or even Apoc for insta-cast vs ENM- when you can just cap that in gear. As for the MND+/MM+... on Allure meeh, not that impressed by it.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-01-25 09:43:47  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

I don't use Allure ever, lol. It depends on what I'm doing, but typically I use MM/Perfect Attendance/VV(or Sea Daughter), since I'm typically the one proccing/helping to proc !!'s. Also on that note, I find the third atma slot if not used for regain would be better spent on another refresh(for the times you need it, which can be most things if you're the only WHM) or even Apoc for insta-cast vs ENM- when you can just cap that in gear. As for the MND+/MM+... on Allure meeh, not that impressed by it.

Ah ok:p
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 10:51:19  
Thanks for the heads up on Zombie/ST20 I'll be fighting him this week I'm 4/6 on Caturaes.

I used to try Sacrifice pretty often but I just don't know what spells it works for and which it does not. Depending on the mob I will run with Misery and I welcome taking the statuses (If it is more than 1 often and is not silence or pertri or other statuses that stop me from casting) Some spells it wouldn't make sense giving me the ailment because I can't remove from everyone with Esuna cause I can't cast until it's gone. Anyway I used to try and use Sacrifice from the tank -> Esuna to clear from everyone else and never could figure out what Sacrifice worked on and what it did not, I ended up giving up.

Anyway, not all WHMs love Esuna but I can tell you personally I find it extremely useful certain mobs I will always switch to Esuna and I ended up making my party super effective (some quick examples are Melo Melo and lolAthamas there are others though)

As others mentioned about -na's you should change the chat filter I forget the name but basically when people in my ally "so and so is Poisoned" should stand out, also you'll start to learn TP moves and what to look out for you can cast -na spells and time them so you've removed them by the time the tank even gets to ask for them.

No one mentioned this yet perhaps because it should be common knowledge but just in case.. stock up on Echo Drops, every WHM (every mage really) should always have plenty of Echo Drops for NM fights.

strange atmas Niniann, but I don't ever have to proc with my WAR friend/s there. I used to but it just seemed ineffective, I have 3 WAR friends with staff/club or a MNK with club only thing I ever proc is Hexa Strike if I need to.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-25 10:52:43  
Alllure is awesome... and chances are you wouldn't need more refresh if you were curing stronger and had alot more mp to begin with... also usually not so hard up that need a whm to proc stuff
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 10:58:16  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Alllure is awesome... and chances are you wouldn't need more refresh if you were curing stronger and had alot more mp to begin with... also usually not so hard up that need a whm to proc stuff

Yea, I really love Allure since I got my 3rd atma.

MM / Ambition / Allure

I'm going to give AoA a try instead of Allure after I get Shinryu access per some XIAH.com advice, I need to really finish my Abyssite of Merits though so I don't miss that MP.. (something sexy about 2000+ mp without even trying to use an MP build)
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-01-25 11:39:24  
I have a suggestion for you.

Drop down the staff, go /NIN and have fun playing White Mage.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 11:47:18  
Bahamut.Dannyl said:

great suggestion for all situations 100% of the time, this would always be ideal thank you so much Dannyl you give wonderful advice to a new WHM
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-25 11:55:55  
Regarding Sacrifice:

All ailments that can be removed with the spell Erase can be transferred by Sacrifice, with Afflatus Solace active.
Sacrifice will also transfer multiple status effects to the WHM when Afflatus Solace is active (only transfers one status effect maximum without Solace active).

As an example, let's say you're the WHM in a party with a tank plus 2 melee clustered around the target. Like a good little WHM, you've kept yourself out of the NM's AOE range. However, the NM just used a nasty AOE enfeebling TP move, inflicting Slow and Gravity on your 3 allies.

The correct sequence here is:
1. Afflatus Solace
2. Sacrifice (transfers Slow and Gravity from one ally to you)
3. move closer to your party
4. Afflatus Misery
5. Esuna (removes Slow and Gravity from you and the rest of the party)

This technique is WAY more efficient than casting Erase six times.

For some targets that frequently use AOE enfeebling, but not major AOE damage, it can be worthwhile to just stay near the mob/melees and leave Misery up full-time and spam Esuna. However, since a lot of NMs that use nasty enfeebling AOE also use nasty AOE damage TP moves, it's often best for the WHM to alternate Solace/Sacrifice (far from the NM) and Misery/Esuna (close to the NM).

[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-25 12:05:56  
How long did it take some of you to complete the cure potency magian staff? I'm trying to better gear my whm mule for my dual boxing and I was just curious.

Working on his WHM AF3 stuff as I go along, but the staff will require outside work.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-25 12:09:47  
Surya's Staff +2 isn't horribly time-consuming.

For me, the most annoying/difficult stage was killing spider mobs under lightning/wind/fire weather. But I did that back when each of those kills counted for just 1 trial point. Now, "weather kills" count X 5 points (I think?), so it's gotta be much easier.
 Bahamut.Dasva
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-01-25 12:13:11  
Cure staff is easy if you got a good nuking job. Not sure how hard it is for people with just whm or smn
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 12:26:18  
you should be able to 2box it pretty easily and fairly quickly imo. It took me a while because I didn't have any job @ the time to kill the Yagudo High Priests. It also is a pain in the *** solo WHM without a job like BLM or SCH to solo the EPs but if you 2box it would be easy and quick I just had to keep asking people to help me kill things more quickly.

Trial 790 - Location: Grauberg (S) - Knotty Treant (often people you can team up here with from other types of trials that's what I did.)

Trial 791 - The Boyahda Tree, Bark Spider (2box quick/easy)

Trial 828 - Nyzul Isle Investigation

Trial 829 - Ro'Maeve light day fast and easy (often people you can team up here with from other types of trials that's what I did. also will be quick/easy 2boxing)

Starts to get time consuming past this point

Trial 834 - Finishing blow with Divine - basically have your DD get the mobs (I used Uleguerand Range Bunnies and Buffaloes) bring them to you get the HP% of the mob to under 10% and then nuke rinse and repeat takes a while though no weather bonus.

Trial 838 / 1900 - Pain in the *** but 2boxing should not be as bad. If you have Retrace on either of your characters use it. Spawn right next to Recall Tele point. Some people do different things here but basically you need to kill @ telepoint either warp home switch jobs -> retrace switch jobs again (for recall) OP to Grauberg drop off pixie recall back to telepoint and kill another high priest. I had to d2 my friend because I didn't have retrace he would kill I d2 him I warp he switched jobs retrace me then I pick him up and recall us both back for another kill. If no retrace available just recall from meph mountains to pash it sucks and is a long walk but you can do it.

Trial 1701 / 2191 - Really not that bad if people will help you. Grauberg (S):: **During Alliance Control of the Area Only** If there is no Alliance control then you can only kill 16 here they will not respawn for 1 hour, I found out the hard way when I was almost done with 2191. Anyway with a party of DD friends you can kill 100+ Sidhe here 16 total spawn points respwan ever 5 mins you just whipe the area on Lightsday.

When it is not under control there are 4 elemental spawns from Yag SMNs in West Sab (s) you can kill, not nearly as quick of effective but when Alliance does not have control you don't have many other options from what I've seen

Bahamut.Dasva said:
Not sure how hard it is for people with just whm

it *** sucks.. basically have to rely on others and I hate asking for that much help I felt like a worthless piece of ***luckily some good friends dedicated a lot of time to helping
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-01-25 12:28:09  
If you only have WHM leveled, Cure Staff can be quite time consuming to get solo as your kill speeds are substantially lower versus other classes on the same trial. This can be partially mitigated if you have a high level club skill and just go all out with melee and switch to Staff for kill blows. Biggest challenge I had was the same as Elanabelle and with the Spiders (but as stated earlier, this was before the "weather" patch where kills during weather count as 5 kills).

I never had a problem with elementals as there were always people doing them (I was partied with one incredible JP BLM who killed 80-90 elementals within a single Lightsday).

Also, I never knew Zombie curse could be removed with Sacrifice. I shall remember that for the next time I do Yannei. It'll make things much simpler.

And interesting Atma selection, Niniann. I know how you feel, I used to go VV just because my groups didn't have a dedicated WAR until recently. I still carry a collection of Wings (namely Dusty Wings from Resistance Credits) to proc Staff WS' if we get desperate, or to Hexa Strike for Blue.

My personal favorite Atma combination ATM is MM, Full Moon (No Ambition :/), and Impenetrable Tower. Being able to sit in Yellow at around 1.9-2.1K HP for Medicine Ring is fun and having 700+ Devotions to give to the incredible BLM in my set is enough to tank up her MP pool entirely. Also good for tanking the crap outta Amhuluk, Amun, and Ulhuadshi, whee~~!
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-01-25 12:31:02  
Alright so it looks like with my monk taking things down, it should go fairly quickly. Guess I'll have to work on it this weekend.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-25 12:33:53  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Regarding Sacrifice:

All ailments that can be removed with the spell Erase can be transferred by Sacrifice, with Afflatus Solace active.
Sacrifice will also transfer multiple status effects to the WHM when Afflatus Solace is active (only transfers one status effect maximum without Solace active).

As an example, let's say you're the WHM in a party with a tank plus 2 melee clustered around the target. Like a good little WHM, you've kept yourself out of the NM's AOE range. However, the NM just used a nasty AOE enfeebling TP move, inflicting Slow and Gravity on your 3 allies.

The correct sequence here is:
1. Afflatus Solace
2. Sacrifice (transfers Slow and Gravity from one ally to you)
3. move closer to your party
4. Afflatus Misery
5. Esuna (removes Slow and Gravity from you and the rest of the party)

This technique is WAY more efficient than casting Erase six times.

For some targets that frequently use AOE enfeebling, but not major AOE damage, it can be worthwhile to just stay near the mob/melees and leave Misery up full-time and spam Esuna. However, since a lot of NMs that use nasty enfeebling AOE also use nasty AOE damage TP moves, it's often best for the WHM to alternate Solace/Sacrifice (far from the NM) and Misery/Esuna (close to the NM).

lol wow I didn't know all that, I do the Misery -> Esuna often I love it but now I can actually effectively use Sacrifice I was doing it wrong for sure. When I came back to the game I had asked people in game how it works (was a new spell to me) no one explained it like this thanks Elan :)
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2011-01-25 12:47:04  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Well, sounds like your advice is more based on your situation that many other WHMs might not be in. I guess it makes sense for you but not for the majority. (as far as the use of enmity in gear)
[+]
 Asura.Celene
サーバ: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2011-01-25 12:49:06  
I haven't played my WHM in a very long time either, so this thread was a great read! :)
 Bahamut.Dannyl
user: dannyl
By Bahamut.Dannyl 2011-01-25 13:00:18  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Bahamut.Dannyl said:

great suggestion for all situations 100% of the time, this would always be ideal thank you so much Dannyl you give wonderful advice to a new WHM

Hey thanks man! I really appreciate your feedback...
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2011-01-25 13:14:50  
Sylph.Kimble said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Well, sounds like your advice is more based on your situation that many other WHMs might not be in. I guess it makes sense for you but not for the majority. (as far as the use of enmity in gear)
I can see both points of view really. And why not add more -emn to any given set on whm. Cure Pot first(which Niniann has covered before Atma's) and then -emn will be the next best stat to focus on in a lowman situation. If you aren't hitting cap then by all means toss on loads of -emn.

I don't do to much stuff on whm that's lowamn..but I typically use MM, Allure, Rescuer. I can't cap cure Potency so Rescuer works nicely for me. Apoc is very nice and I can also understand the need for VV/Perfect attendance. To each there own!
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-25 14:34:10  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

lol wow I didn't know all that, I do the Misery -> Esuna often I love it but now I can actually effectively use Sacrifice I was doing it wrong for sure. When I came back to the game I had asked people in game how it works (was a new spell to me) no one explained it like this thanks Elan :)

It is an odd day when someone in FFXIAH forums actually thanks me.
You're welcome!

For what it's worth, you're not alone. I feel comfortable speculating (based on player observation) that the majority of WHM's do not understand or use Afflatus Solace/Misery and Sacrifice/Esuna properly.

Maybe my post will open some eyes.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2011-01-25 17:29:08  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Allure is really a so-so atma for whm. The mnd doesn't add to your cures that much and +mp is pretty eh. And again, enmity shouldn't be a huge issue unless you're sitting there dumping curaga 4's constantly.

Guess it depends on what you do with whm, in low man situations, it definitely helps to be able to assist with red proccing. Heck, recently I've been doing MM/Sea Daughter/Beyond as WHM/WAR so I can do azure kills, red procs and still do all the healing/enfeebling though admittedly only having one person to heal helps, lol.