Advice For A New White Mage =)

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » White Mage » Advice for a new White Mage =)
Advice for a new White Mage =)
First Page 2 3 4 5 6
 Asura.Kresaera
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Kresaera
By Asura.Kresaera 2011-01-24 17:14:15  
So, I dusted off my White Mage and leveled it up to 85, however I haven't been doing anything great with it and I am wanting some advice on what to do better. I have some gil to play with and I can always sell some stuff to get more or farm, so gil really isn't much of a problem, unless it's like 800k lol

I'm opening myself up for suggestions. Thanks in advance! Oh, and the merits and gear I have are listed on my profile page.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kresaera
By Asura.Kresaera 2011-01-24 17:18:07  
I saw that, I added a picture instead lol
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:18:24  
hit cure potency 50% first.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-24 17:19:53  
-Merits-

Group 1: 5/5 curecasttime, and put the rest in whatever else you want. I did barspells.

Group 2: 5/5 Shellra V, can put the rest in whatever you want. I suggest 5/5 devotion even though it's not really needed in Abyssea, it's nice outside and on top of that Protectra V isn't really that great.

Magic Skills: I see you have RDM, you should probably cap out Enhancing. It makes Phalanx om nom nom, and with atmas/etc you don't need Enfeebling/Elemental anymore.

-Gear-

I'm going to start this off by saying I prefer using ENM- gear over MND+ so I can use more Refresh gear, or Regain if I need to proc !!'s... letting me free up a slot that people would use on Atma of Allure. With all this -ENM I can spam cure V/VI at timer for Cureskin and never have to worry about it turning for me.

Main: Start on Cure Potency Suryas
Sub: pax grip
Head: orison cap +1, MKD Cure Potency+ head
Neck: fylgja torque
Ear: Any ENM- or Cure Potency+
Body: noble's tunic or Trophy Augment Body
Hands: Ok until you can get augur's gloves or Item Not Found!+Item Not Found!
Rings: Sirona's is ok, trooper's ring or metanoia ring are good too.
Back: orison cape, errant cape
Waist: pythia sash, acerbic sash, penitent's rope
Legs: Legs are fine until orison pantaloons +1, can always do ASA Cure Potency legs too.
Feet: Cure clogs (Should use in precast anyway), Anything with -enm, lore sabots are decent.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By Shiroineko 2011-01-24 17:23:41  
yea pretty much. cure potency > all.

i need to figure out how to post gear set pictures
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:25:19  
Merits IMO and most other WHMs.. I say most cause some do disagree

Barspells 5/5
Cure cast time 5/5

Shellra V 5/5
Protectra V 1/5
Devotion 3/5
Martr 1/5

my current cure pot set: (Cure V and VI) I swap in some -ENM in place of MND pieces for my IVs

Rostrum Pumps Pumps would be nice but I don't have them. I also do not have Roundel Earring but I still hit the cap. Once my +1 hat and +1 pants are both +2 I will drop my ASA pants to fulltime my +2 pants and throw in an Orison Earring. I would also be better off with Healer's +1s but I don't have them.

Another way to play with cure potency your prefrence is Augur's Gloves for 4% or Serpentes set Cuffs and Sabots for 5%

you can do it without Noble's/Aristo using Falcio sp? I personally haven't got a good augment out of it yet but I'll keep trying also +2 WHM Body is an option if you can hit 50% cure pot without it for the Afflatus Solace bonuses it would be nice

Any way you can get to 50% as quickly as possible is what you should do then you can play with your preference.

Every WHM uses MM atma + another refresh one (I personally use Ambition for the mov+), some use Allure some use AoA.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Flyinghippress 2011-01-24 17:32:37  
First work on whatever you can for cure potency: Go here to see all the items that have it.

Where you can't get potency get MND, and where you can't get either get VIT. Often overlooked but cure 5 and 6 have VIT as a second modifier as well. Any refresh gear is an excellent asset to you as well.

For Regen (not used as often in Abyssea with the major HP buffs but can still help) get any Regen enhancing gear.

A set for MP is handy for the start of a group for basically a free tect/shell/RR. Then switch to your healing gear.

Seeing that you have RDM90 as well, WHM healing isn't much different. We're still expected to keep a Haste cycle, toss Regen when we can to conserve MP and all that jazz.

A lot of the spells introduced just before Abyssea (Esuna, Auspice, etc.) give a great deal of enmity so don't use those and start cure bombing haha.

That's it off the top of my head.

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Kresaera
By Asura.Kresaera 2011-01-24 17:34:18  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Asura.Kresaera said:
The only time that neck would be the best choice is when you're trying to repose something like a VT+ tonberry and acc will mean the difference between it resisting or not, even with capped/merited skill

That's the neck I use with my red mage, I just haven't gotten a new one yet. Red mage is my main. My friends always laugh because I still enfeeble the mob as Whm, out of habit.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-24 17:35:24  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
+2 WHM Body is an option if you can hit 50% cure pot without it for the Afflatus Solace bonuses it would be nice

I do this, but without Medicine Ring (which IMO you shouldn't really use inside Abyssea) you can only hit 49% Cure Potency, (well, 50 if you use Serpentes but I'd rather have the extra ENM-, so I guess I'm a liar you can have 50...) but it's not a huge deal. My cureskins are about 500HP, lol. Way better than 1% potency.

My Set:

Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:37:32  
oh also level /SCH ASAP I put this off when I came back to the game because it was brand new job to me and I can tell you once I finally made time to level it... I FELL IN LOVE :)

/SCH or go home ^^ do not let people try to convince you otherwise it's so convenient as a healer it's not even funny
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:38:54  
Asura.Kresaera said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
Asura.Kresaera said:
The only time that neck would be the best choice is when you're trying to repose something like a VT+ tonberry and acc will mean the difference between it resisting or not, even with capped/merited skill

That's the neck I use with my red mage, I just haven't gotten a new one yet. Red mage is my main. My friends always laugh because I still enfeeble the mob as Whm, out of habit.

the only time I don't enfeeble the mob is if we have RDMs in my party, don't feel like you can't or shouldn't ESPECIALLY low man always help enfeeb
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-24 17:39:51  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
oh also level /SCH ASAP I put this off when I came back to the game because it was brand new job to me and I can tell you once I finally made time to level it... I FELL IN LOVE :)

/SCH or go home ^^ do not let people try to convince you otherwise it's so convenient as a healer it's not even funny

There are situations where /BLM for Stun is relevant.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:40:49  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
+2 WHM Body is an option if you can hit 50% cure pot without it for the Afflatus Solace bonuses it would be nice

I do this, but without Medicine Ring (which IMO you shouldn't really use inside Abyssea) you can only hit 49% Cure Potency, (well, 50 if you use Serpentes but I'd rather have the extra ENM-, so I guess I'm a liar you can have 50...) but it's not a huge deal. My cureskins are about 500HP, lol. Way better than 1% potency.

My Set:

that's a dope set you got some really nice gear but you really have -ENM problems in Abyssea? I can't afford a Roundel maybe if I never quit I would have saved up and got one before Abyssea was around but I didn't =\ I just can't bring myself to spending 6+mil on it
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-24 17:43:33  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
that's a dope set you got some really nice gear but you really have -ENM problems in Abyssea? I can't afford a Roundel maybe if I never quit I would have saved up and got one before Abyssea was around but I didn't =\ I just can't bring myself to spending 6+mil on it

Ty~ Well, I do only because I literally spam Cure V/VI whenever cureskin wears off for most mobs. Some of the shitty ones (like Ironclads) I'll actually pull hate. I don't die or anything but it's annoying.

If I didn't spam them constantly even when my tank was at full health, then I wouldn't really run into problems. (I'm afraid of Taru's dying to TP moves ; -;)

Roundel is nice... I actually bought it for DNC since that's my main job. If it was for WHM? I'm not sure if I would've gotten it. D:
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:45:09  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

I meant don't let people tell you otherwise as in /RDM is better for most situations as a healer or to convince you that you should not bother leveling /SCH
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-24 17:46:45  
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

I meant don't let people tell you otherwise as in /RDM is better for most situations as a healer or to convince you that you should not bother leveling /SCH

Alright, fair enough~

There are plenty of mobs out there that you can't solo-heal without /SCH. ; -;

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-01-24 17:47:07  
Leviathan.Niniann said:
Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:

Ty~ Well, I do only because I literally spam Cure V/VI whenever cureskin wears off for most mobs. Some of the shitty ones (like Ironclads) I'll actually pull hate. I don't die or anything but it's annoying.

If I didn't spam them constantly even when my tank was at full health, then I wouldn't really run into problems. (I'm afraid of Taru's dying to TP moves ; -;)

Roundel is nice... I actually bought it for DNC since that's my main job. If it was for WHM? I'm not sure if I would've gotten it. D:

Well I'm just assuming here but I bet most of the time you pull hate it's because of a hate reset tp move especially since you mentioned Irons they reset hate
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2011-01-24 17:50:29  
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
The only time I honestly have hate problems as whm is when a mob resets hate to be honest since MM covers enmity efficiently. Are you doing mostly extended duos or something?

Yes, I do. And MM is only -10, cap is 50. D:

Gilgamesh.Tweeek said:
Well I'm just assuming here but I bet most of the time you pull hate it's because of a hate reset tp move especially since you mentioned Irons they reset hate

Well, yes, but before I had my gear I pulled hate so it's mostly just that I spam cures like crazy and don't afraid.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-24 18:12:39  
Here's what I'm using right now:

There is no cookie-cutter perfect way to gear your WHM.

However, consensus is to "cap" Cure Potency as your first priority (caps @ 50%). This greatly increases your MP efficiency (HP cured divided by MP spent). Light/Apollo's Staff is ok for a beginner, offering 10% Cure Potency, but Magian Trial "Surya's Staff" can get you up to 22% Cure Potency.
After that, you're seeking some combination of the following to reach 50% Cure Potency total:
Fylgja Torque/Fylgja Torque +1
Orison Cap +1/Orison Cap +2
Orison Earring
Roundel Earring
Noble's Tunic/Aristocrat's Coat
Orison Cape
Augur's Gloves
Serpentes Sabots and Serpentes Gloves (set effect)
Augmented gear from ACP and AMKD add-on missions completion

Once you've reached your 50% Cure Potency gear, I'd select gear that offers MIND, -Enmity, Haste+, and/or Fast Cast+.

[+]
 Asura.Kresaera
By Asura.Kresaera 2011-01-24 19:46:30  
Thank you everyone! I'm currently looking up some cure potency stuff now on wiki and checking some prices. I do okay curing and stuff now, I'm just one of those people that want to do more than just 'Mindlessly Cure' like so many people say.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2011-01-25 02:23:26  
Asura.Kresaera said:
Thank you everyone! I'm currently looking up some cure potency stuff now on wiki and checking some prices. I do okay curing and stuff now, I'm just one of those people that want to do more than just 'Mindlessly Cure' like so many people say.

If you're looking to do more then "Mindlessly Cure"ing, then consider some of your other abilities and spells too.

Building a strong potency set (heavy MND) for Slow and Para can help out quite a bit. A strong MACC/Divine Magic set can help stick Repose unresisted if a group of mobs becomes overwhelming can be useful too. Consider how many different sets of gears you want to build and use what you feel is best ^_^

What's been listed above for cures are awsome and you should build a set to your time and play style. I'm personally a HUGE proponent of Medicine Ring, and if you feel you can swing it, go for it. That'll save you some time and money in capping your Potency gear out for Cures, but comes at a higher risk too.
 Pandemonium.Scrumpet
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Scrumpet
By Pandemonium.Scrumpet 2011-01-25 02:38:06  
Advice? Quit while you are ahead! D:
WHM gear is not necessarily about the gil though~ It's about the time and effort you put into the job, so it will take a lot of time. @@;
 Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: izzlet
By Quetzalcoatl.Aaradia 2011-01-25 02:49:47  
If a mob is new to me or I don't quite have the mob family memorized, I keep ffxiclopedia open and off to the side behind my FFXI window so I can quickly take a glance to see what a mob's TP move does and what I need to remove. A WHM's job is knowing what status effects to remove and how to remove them. A lot of people seem to forget that and just go in blind, and then you wind up wiping to Yaanei at 3% because the WHM didn't know that Sacrifice removes Zombie and kept trying to spam cures instead.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6