God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » God did not create the universe, says Hawking
God did not create the universe, says Hawking
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40
 Phoenix.Smileybone
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
By Phoenix.Smileybone 2010-09-03 14:27:12  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
BorealisV2 said:
lolReligion

Sir this thread is not about religion, do not ***up again please.
Title says: God did not create the universe, says Hawking

bolded the religion part.
hurdur stanflame try again.

By bolding God it raises the argument of theism vs. atheism not religion. Tired of people saying that if you believe in a God that your religious. The two are mutually exclusive.

This whole argument IS about theism VS atheism man.

Durka dur mor ad hom argumentsss

Lolwut? That's what I said.
Phoenix.Smileybone said:

By bolding God it raises the argument of theism vs. atheism not religion. Tired of people saying that if you believe in a God that your religious. The two are mutually exclusive.

You said
Vinvv said:

sooo theism isn't considered to be religion now?
i am confuse.

Theism is part of many religions but not all theists are religious.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 14:55:43  
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Smileybone said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
BorealisV2 said:
lolReligion

Sir this thread is not about religion, do not ***up again please.
Title says: God did not create the universe, says Hawking

hurdur stanflame try again.

This whole argument IS about theism VS atheism man.

Durka dur mor ad hom argumentsss

Lolwut? That's what I said.
Phoenix.Smileybone said:

You said
Vinvv said:

sooo theism isn't considered to be religion now?
i am confuse.

Theism is part of many religions but not all theists are religious.
That wasn't really what I was saying.
Just because "God" isn't necessarily always "religion" doesn't discount the fact that it also is related to religion.
Meh.
We are both correct in a way, but yeah.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 14:59:16  
Cerberus.Ethics said:
If you were to find out your friend got a dream job, say going to another galaxy, but you'd never be able to contact/see them again due to nature of the job. How would you feel? I'm sure you could be sad, or even happy because they're doing something that makes them happy. I would be willing to bet you wouldn't feel grief. Say after he/she takes off on said job, you find out the ship exploded, do your feelings change? I think they do. This would make no sense considering either way you'd never get to see/contact them again.

If you sincerely believe paradise waits in the afterlife, then you must by necessity think death is a good thing, and by contrast life is not.

I do believe reason and emotions are integrated. I believe the thought experiment shows the rationality of emotion.
Aren't you going to reply to my other post?
Or are you just going to pile on more BS to prove your point?
My problem was just how you said it.
Dealing in absolutes just doesn't work man.
Quote:
To add something serious, nobody believes in heaven.
This what I am referring to.
The grieving process isn't even necessarily in regards to how well off someone is since they have an "afterlife"
It's more to the effect with dealing with the loss of a loved one IE the inability to speak with them all that.
The concept of heaven is more or less one more thing that assists in the coping process.
Survival instinct gone haywire :D
[+]
 Cerberus.Ethics
サーバ: Cerberus
user: zerohoax
By Cerberus.Ethics 2010-09-03 15:05:57  
Pile on more BS to prove my point? Didn't you want me to prove my point? You didn't like how I said it, but you don't disagree? I give an example to prove my point, and you call it BS? On what grounds is it BS?

I responded to your points by making mine more clear.

Ramuh.Vinvv said:
The grieving process isn't even necessarily in regards to how well off someone is since they have an "afterlife"
It's more to the effect with dealing with the loss of a loved one IE the inability to speak with them all that.
The concept of heaven is more or less one more thing that assists in the coping process.

I don't really think you're understanding, the thought experiment actually addresses all of this.

PS I'm not a sith
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 15:10:08  
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Pile on more BS to prove my point? Didn't you want me to prove my point?

Ramuh.Vinvv said:

I don't really think you're understanding, the thought experiment actually addresses all of this.
IE you not proving your point but saying a whole bunch of other ***to further illustrate your point?
I might have not said it in the nicest way but that's essentially what you're doing.
I prove whatever you say to be ineffective, you post a whole bunch of other ***to further attempt to prove your point.

Well prove it to me if you want, I already tore down other things you spouted.
I'll disprove what you say in turn if it's not correct, just saying.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo 2010-09-03 15:10:10  
Asura.Bartimaeus said:
Nice to see this still going.

What are we arguing about today?

Arguing is OK, this thread is interesting, if you see some of the opinions. Jaerik's the best of all.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 15:11:42  
Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

Arguing is OK, this thread is interesting, if you see some of the opinions. Jaerik's the best of all.
Just because he's right it doesn't mean that it's the best. Just correct.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ethics
By Cerberus.Ethics 2010-09-03 15:13:15  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
IE you not proving your point but saying a whole bunch of other ***to further illustrate your point?
I might have not said it in the nicest way but that's essentially what you're doing.
I prove whatever you say to be ineffective, you post a whole bunch of other ***to further attempt to prove your point.

The only thing you're proving to me is that you either have comprehension/understanding issues, or English is your seventh language.

What do you think I was attempting to do by posting this:

Cerberus.Ethics said:
If you were to find out your friend got a dream job, say going to another galaxy, but you'd never be able to contact/see them again due to nature of the job. How would you feel? I'm sure you could be sad, or even happy because they're doing something that makes them happy. I would be willing to bet you wouldn't feel grief. Say after he/she takes off on said job, you find out the ship exploded, do your feelings change? I think they do. This would make no sense considering either way you'd never get to see/contact them again.

If you sincerely believe paradise waits in the afterlife, then you must by necessity think death is a good thing, and by contrast life is not.

I do believe reason and emotions are integrated. I believe the thought experiment shows the rationality of emotion.

I thought that was an attempt to prove it to you.
[+]
 Leviathan.Dissonant
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Dissonant 2010-09-03 15:14:38  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Dealing in absolutes just doesn't work man
[+]
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Flunklesnarkin 2010-09-03 15:16:28  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Just for your information, Arabs created:

* mirrors
* carpets
* cotton for clothing
* ships compasses
* writing paper
* slippers
* wheelbarrows
* mattresses
* chess
* Arabic figures 0-9
* pain killing drugs
* algebra
* irrigation
* chemistry
* the colour scarlet
* water wheels
* water clocks

So I'm smarter than all of y'all lawl~

Go create me a sandwich
 Caitsith.Silvaria
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-09-03 15:21:51  
Ragnarok.Twinbladehaseo said:
Asura.Bartimaeus said:

Wow, 37 pages?? I left off yesterday at 8 pages, LOL...

Jaerik has a way of cutting through the nonsense and getting right to the point.

So, let's see which directions things are heading on this thread now...
 Sylph.Linkk
サーバ: Sylph
user: Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2010-09-03 15:23:26  
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Just for your information, Arabs created: * mirrors * carpets * cotton for clothing * ships compasses * writing paper * slippers * wheelbarrows * mattresses * chess * Arabic figures 0-9 * pain killing drugs * algebra * irrigation * chemistry * the colour scarlet * water wheels * water clocks So I'm smarter than all of y'all lawl~
Go create me a sandwich

They also created islam soooooooooo maybe they should have stoped with mirrors?? lol
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 15:23:27  
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

The only thing you're proving to me is that you either have comprehension/understanding issues, or English is your seventh language.

What do you think I was attempting to do by posting this:

Cerberus.Ethics said:

I thought that was an attempt to prove it to you.
I replied to that attempt, it didn't further illustrate your point, you just branched off into some random hypothetical. Just because you believe reason and emotion are "integrated" does not validate your original point that "nobody truly believes in the afterlife"

try again.
edit: replace the word random with ineffective, just so you can't hinge anything off of that one thing.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ethics
By Cerberus.Ethics 2010-09-03 15:24:37  
Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Is that not an absolute itself?

[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 15:26:44  
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Leviathan.Dissonant said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

Is that not an absolute itself?

Proves my point even further.
[+]
 Cerberus.Ethics
By Cerberus.Ethics 2010-09-03 15:28:17  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
I replied to that attempt, it didn't further illustrate your point, you just branched off into some random hypothetical. Just because you believe reason and emotion are "integrated" does not validate your original point that "nobody truly believes in the afterlife"

try again.

You may have technically replied in the sense that you hit quote and typed some words, but you didn't actually respond to anything. You called it BS to further prove my point, which you didn't not agree with, you just don't like that I used the word nobody.

Obiwan, you need to stop.
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 15:32:14  
Cerberus.Ethics said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

try again.

You may have technically replied in the sense that you hit quote and typed some words, but you didn't actually respond to anything. You called it BS to further prove my point, which you didn't not agree with, you just don't like that I used the word nobody.

Obiwan, you need to stop.
You just are pissed off that you are wrong all the time. ALL THE TIME.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-03 15:50:50  
idk
ethics makes a lot of sence to me in a lot of things he says.
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 15:51:29  
Phoenix.Darki said:
idk
ethics makes a lot of sence to me in a lot of things he says.
Everyone makes sense to you unless they are disagree with you Darki :/

You can take this as an exaggeration if you like.
Why do you feel you have to comment on how much Ethics makes sense? What's your take on this, do you believe that he is correct? Why do you believe he is correct?
All that.
Or are you just being passive aggressive?
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-09-03 16:00:24  
who cares
 Sylph.Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2010-09-03 16:04:41  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
idk ethics makes a lot of sence to me in a lot of things he says.
Everyone makes sense to you unless they are disagree with you Darki :/ You can take this as an exaggeration if you like. Why do you feel you have to comment on how much Ethics makes sense? What's your take on this, do you believe that he is correct? Why do you believe he is correct? All that. Or are you just being passive aggressive?

If someone agrees with you, do you ask them why they agree with you or just take it as they understand the perspective your coming from?? lolol
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-03 16:13:52  
Sylph.Linkk said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Everyone makes sense to you unless they are disagree with you Darki :/ You can take this as an exaggeration if you like. Why do you feel you have to comment on how much Ethics makes sense? What's your take on this, do you believe that he is correct? Why do you believe he is correct? All that. Or are you just being passive aggressive?

If someone agrees with you, do you ask them why they agree with you or just take it as they understand the perspective your coming from?? lolol
Depends on the situation.
I like to discuss in discussions soooo.....
 Sylph.Linkk
By Sylph.Linkk 2010-09-03 16:20:56  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Sylph.Linkk said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Depends on the situation. I like to discuss in discussions soooo.....

Fair enough.
 Cerberus.Ethics
By Cerberus.Ethics 2010-09-04 06:08:55  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
What's your take on this, do you believe that he is correct? Why do you believe he is correct?
All that.
Or are you just being passive aggressive?

Perhaps you can answer that yourself.

Other than your sixteen word four line autistic posts, I've seen nothing contra what I said. Your argument is that I used a hyperbole. Which wasn't even an argument, more of just an assertion from a Star Wars movie.

I gave you a situation where you could verify what I claimed on your own. You either did not, or did not understand.

If all you were concerned about is yourself and your own feelings, explain grief. Because your situation with respect to them did not change, you weren't going to see them again then (when leaving to another galaxy), and you're not going to see them again now (after you found out their ship exploded).

I presented the scenario, asked you to reflect on the emotions it elicited and spelled out the rational consequences thereof. Some emotions are rational, some are not. They are tools for making sense of the world and our relationship to it. Among others, it tells use we don't believe in heaven.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Randomguy 2010-09-04 06:33:59  
Wow, this topic is still alive....

...and not flame core'd yet
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-04 06:34:20  
OP said:
God did not create the universe, says Hawking

I could have told them this years ago...
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2010-09-04 07:15:08  
You have this body called a "Shell" and you have one life time to live it... what you do with it, is your own being..

What you screw it up with or miss, hey that's your own wrong doing. We all have a set time, on this planet.. make use of it, and enjoy life. Why wrack your head with reason, and figure out the fundamentals of life as a whole? Why argue Hyprocrisy?

Enjoy life and what it has to give ya.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-09-04 07:28:02  
Caitsith.Neonracer said:
You have this body called a "Shell" and you have one life time to live it... what you do with it, is your own being..

What you screw it up with or miss, hey that's your own wrong doing. We all have a set time, on this planet.. make use of it, and enjoy life. Why wrack your head with reason, and figure out the fundamentals of life as a whole? Why argue Hyprocrisy?

Enjoy life and what it has to give ya.

hey, I remember that dude. used to troll this forum iirc
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-09-04 12:05:22  
Asura.Catastrophe said:
I think I should bring up the idea that the big bang may have been the beginning of this universe, but not necessarily the beginning of everything.

I don't believe there is really such a thing as "Nothing" either, in our currently observable world volume due to many other factors such as its multidimension structure, virtual pairs and the brane characteristics we live on. (All theory, of course)

Stephen Hawking is saying that the creation of this universe is consequence only to the physics that is imparted upon its creation. What has generated that creation is speculative, however many Cosmologists have derived many other fascinating perspectives and possibilities (ie: Two parallel cosmic branes colliding). This only endows the grandeur further if you're theistic and you think in terms of brane theory. We can understand our universe and its beginnings because we can observe it in its full glory; however trying to understand the characteristics of branes and the multiverse is like trying to discover the shape of the earth and Heliocentricity while blind.
Wow. This is exactly what I've been thinking the entire time while lurking this thread. But in better words. :)
First Page 2 3 ... 36 37 38 39 40