God Did Not Create The Universe, Says Hawking

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » God did not create the universe, says Hawking
God did not create the universe, says Hawking
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 40
 Unicorn.Celestius
サーバ: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
By Unicorn.Celestius 2010-09-04 13:29:25  
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Just for your information, Arabs created: * mirrors * carpets * cotton for clothing * ships compasses * writing paper * slippers * wheelbarrows * mattresses * chess * Arabic figures 0-9 * pain killing drugs * algebra * irrigation * chemistry * the colour scarlet * water wheels * water clocks So I'm smarter than all of y'all lawl~
Go create me a sandwich

Maybe, but then came Islam and the inventing stopped, now the destruction of art can begin.
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Thedreamer
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Thedreamer 2010-09-04 14:30:17  
When a mathematician begin to talk mystique, its time for him to go pension.

read logicomic if dont believe me.
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-04 14:33:59  
Unicorn.Celestius said:
Siren.Flunklesnarkin said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Just for your information, Arabs created: * mirrors * carpets * cotton for clothing * ships compasses * writing paper * slippers * wheelbarrows * mattresses * chess * Arabic figures 0-9 * pain killing drugs * algebra * irrigation * chemistry * the colour scarlet * water wheels * water clocks So I'm smarter than all of y'all lawl~
Go create me a sandwich

Maybe, but then came Islam and the inventing stopped, now the destruction of art can begin.

Somebody's ignorant...

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-04 22:21:14  
The biggest complaint Creationists have is that the Big Bang seems to imply "everything came from nothing." Which is understandably counter-intuitive.

However, they should be quite comfortable with this paradox, as none of them can explain where God came from, nor even seek to try.

But this is the original Big Bang problem, just one degree removed. Either God came from nothing, or he was around forever in nothing before creating something. Neither of which are any more logically or viscerally satisfying than the Big Bang theory to begin with.
[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-09-04 22:33:32  
God barely maintained a 'C' average at the Interstellar Institute of Intelligent Design. All of the other gods ridiculed Him for His haphazard construction of the solar system (Venus was left spinning backwards and Uranus was tipped on its side), not to mention only one planet was left able to support life.

When it came time for the creation of life, it took Him 3.5 billion years just to develop multi-cellular organisms and He even botched that by allowing billions of inferior bi-pedal mammals to infest and pollute the one planet which could support life.

I wouldn't hire Him for any creation events, although He is good at popping the next Kleenex out of the box...
[+]
 Bahamut.Serj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-09-04 22:34:01  
I guess that's one of the things it boils down to. What gives people satisfaction.
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-05 01:38:53  
Asura.Braego said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-05 02:00:10  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The biggest complaint Creationists have is that the Big Bang seems to imply "everything came from nothing." Which is understandably counter-intuitive.

However, they should be quite comfortable with this paradox, as none of them can explain where God came from, nor even seek to try.

But this is the original Big Bang problem, just one degree removed. Either God came from nothing, or he was around forever in nothing before creating something. Neither of which are any more logically or viscerally satisfying than the Big Bang theory to begin with.

Something can come from nothing, that is the thing. Is this not what physics details? If a "creator" existed before the big bang then what created god, if "creator" did not exist before it but after it then was he not created from the big bang?

If I mention "it" could have existed after the big bang. I get heckled by someone saying they are a atheist who comes up with some stupid counter measure. My point is that is me being neutral, so no one gets upset >_>. it is better not to say anything at all usually.

"That is not what your stupid religion says, it says he created everything, hurrrr DUR DUR DeRP you can not have it that way" (here I did not mention religion ;/)

"you are stupid religious person, your people say he created everything" (same here)

Am I wrong for suggesting.. to stop the fighting over this that if some people believe in a creator, that he could have come into being after the big bang? If a creator does exist? if someone wants to call "it" god then go ahead.

I never mention anything centered towards religion, but these threads turn out like that. Usually when one side jumps out and points out religion states this and that. This all when the topic is concerning the existence of a creator or if there is not a creator.

Oh and there are some theists open to a lot of views, but for me I have always been the "staying out of the cross-fire" type. Since these things seem to always end up like that.
[+]
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-05 02:24:26  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Asura.Catastrophe said:
I think I should bring up the idea that the big bang may have been the beginning of this universe, but not necessarily the beginning of everything.

I don't believe there is really such a thing as "Nothing" either, in our currently observable world volume due to many other factors such as its multidimension structure, virtual pairs and the brane characteristics we live on. (All theory, of course)

Stephen Hawking is saying that the creation of this universe is consequence only to the physics that is imparted upon its creation. What has generated that creation is speculative, however many Cosmologists have derived many other fascinating perspectives and possibilities (ie: Two parallel cosmic branes colliding). This only endows the grandeur further if you're theistic and you think in terms of brane theory. We can understand our universe and its beginnings because we can observe it in its full glory; however trying to understand the characteristics of branes and the multiverse is like trying to discover the shape of the earth and Heliocentricity while blind.
Wow. This is exactly what I've been thinking the entire time while lurking this thread. But in better words. :)

I was watching discovery channel when such a thing was mentioned, Hawkings was not the first to think of this. I never thought this universe was created on it's whole either, these are still theories though. even though we can view things, we can not see all of them. There has to have been something outside to have caused the creation.

If this brane theory is correct, it could still be fluctuating and doing the same thing, which is creating more universes. looking at black holes and how spooky they look, and how they suck everything into them, for all we know universes have ended, then got created again.
 Cerberus.Lumei
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Lumei
By Cerberus.Lumei 2010-09-05 03:19:38  

There you go. Origin of the universe explained :>

Also this guy :>

I always liked the idea of the universe itself being a sentient being :>
 Sylph.Krsone
サーバ: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2010-09-07 03:28:08  
Have good sex and you'll shout "Oh God!"
Bang your finger hammering a nail into a wall and you'll shout "Oh Jesus Christ!".
You can be as agnostic as you like but id doubt youll ever cry "Oh Big Bang Theory!"
[+]
 Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-09-07 17:42:26  
Sylph.Krsone said:
Have good sex and you'll shout "Oh God!"
Bang your finger hammering a nail into a wall and you'll shout "Oh Jesus Christ!".
You can be as agnostic as you like but id doubt youll ever cry "Oh Big Bang Theory!"
Social norms, phrases what-not.
If I were raised to believe Big Bang was an all powerful deity as well as to use it as a swear word when upset I'd imagine I would be saying Oh Big Bang Theory.
[+]
 Asura.Arkanethered
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2010-09-07 19:16:52  
Yea, I bang my finger with a hammer and I am likely to yell "Mother *** piece of ***" then chuck the thing. Does not mean I worship mother *** piece's of ***.

Can't we just all get along and hate eachother? Seems to be the social norm anymore.

Edited for trollness.
[+]
 Fenrir.Schutz
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Schutz
By Fenrir.Schutz 2010-09-07 19:24:24  
Sylph.Krsone said:
Have good sex and you'll shout "Oh God!" Bang your finger hammering a nail into a wall and you'll shout "Oh Jesus Christ!". You can be as agnostic as you like but id doubt youll ever cry "Oh Big Bang Theory!"

Ironically, KRS-One (the hip-hop star) created his own religion...the Gospel of Hip Hop (really!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/01/krs-one-gospel-hip-hop

Stephen Hawking might have his time in the sun now, but in 100 years, we'll all know what's up (apparently.)
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-07 19:50:40  
It should be pointed out that Hawking didn't say "God did not create the universe." He only said that God is not necessary to create the universe under new models of gravitation. That is, the Big Bang would have been an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics and did not need to be kick-started by divine intervention.

At no point did he actively argue for atheism. That's the interpretation of religious folks being overly defensive, and a scientifically illiterate media gleefully facilitating the over-reaction.
[+]
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
サーバ: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2010-09-07 20:09:28  
I'm sorry I don't know what Hawking said.. I only know what the media said he said >>. I love it when people just quote what they want to and leave out the rest.
 Ragnarok.Corres
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-09-07 20:09:49  
Religion is important. don't get me wrong i don't believe in God or any type of Superexistance. But Religion back when is not what its used to be (well not every single Religion i just go with Christianity here). Back when people witnessed something they couldn't explain: it has to be done by a higher Force (just very simple spoken). Nowadays Religion can give you the good thing of having a community feeling (if you let it happen), of certain guidelines everyone needs to follow (i'm just talking about the basic stuff that is totally logical like "don't kill", steal or whatever).
Sure Religion is not that important anymore and a lot of people that are grown up to adults now think that there is no God. or maybe there might be no God.

If a Christian wants to live with the words of the Bible he shall do that but not interfere in my life. i won't do that too.

Big thing comes to mind: the holy Wars back when would've not happened if it weren't for Religion. That's true... a bit. People wouldn't have gone to the holy wars for their religious beliefs but for other things: Money, wealth, and territories. The wars wouldt be that fierce maybe but it sure would be similar.

Now as for Hawkings: i wanted to say just read Jaerik's Post cuz that's a message everyone can understand and live on. Hawkings "may" have found out what made the universe and all that but that does NOT alter the life, the memories, the future we all share on this Planet.

and btw: having people understand a certain guideline of "living together" sure is a nice thing. :)
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2010-09-07 21:04:04  

I don't see the general importance of religion in today's world. It had its meaningful uses in the past as a decent form of population control but in today's logical society I feel that it has ran far beyond its course and has become a weapon of mass social destruction used by the media and special interest groups. People can believe whatever they want, but if they cannot support it with logical reasoning then they need to keep it to themselfs.

I have nothing wrong with the average christian, muslim or FSM believer but I do wish that we lived in a society without the stupidity of some select individuals of every above group that see fit to tote their certain viewpoint as a banner of superiority. *** you all. This goes towards some atheists as well (see I am being reasonably fair).

Insert random comment about having no morals beyond the ones enforced by a invisible being holding the banstick to eternity to entice moronic response.

[+]
By EtienneLoire 2010-09-07 21:11:34  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
It should be pointed out that Hawking didn't say "God did not create the universe." He only said that God is not necessary to create the universe under new models of gravitation. That is, the Big Bang would have been an inevitable consequence of the laws of physics and did not need to be kick-started by divine intervention.

At no point did he actively argue for atheism. That's the interpretation of religious folks being overly defensive, and a scientifically illiterate media gleefully facilitating the over-reaction.

I did not mind what was said by him, I watched something about him on tv no to long ago, ever since then I was researching him. Yeah the media and people posting the stuff usually in the thread took it the wrong way. it is one reason I jumped in the thread saying this is not about religion.
 Ragnarok.Corres
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Geloudia
By Ragnarok.Corres 2010-09-07 21:21:08  
Asura.Arkanethered said:

I don't see the general importance of religion in today's world. It had its meaningful uses in the past as a decent form of population control but in today's logical society I feel that it has ran far beyond its course and has become a weapon of mass social destruction used by the media and special interest groups. People can believe whatever they want, but if they cannot support it with logical reasoning then they need to keep it to themselfs.

I have nothing wrong with the average christian, muslim or FSM believer but I do wish that we lived in a society without the stupidity of some select individuals of every above group that see fit to tote their certain viewpoint as a banner of superiority. *** you all. This goes towards some atheists as well (see I am being reasonably fair).

Insert random comment about having no morals beyond the ones enforced by a invisible being holding the banstick to eternity to entice moronic response.

this man got a point.
[+]
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2010-09-07 21:30:24  
Asura.Arkanethered said:
epic comment + atheists
Agreed. Though, everyone is an atheist to someone.
What bothers me is this:
Quote:

Do you believe in Buddha?
No...
Oh ok, that's fine.
Do you believe in Shiva?
No...
Oh ok, that's fine.
Do you believe in Zeus?
No..
Oh ok, that's fine.
Do you believe in Odin?
No...
Oh ok, that's fine.
Do you believe in Ra?
No..
Oh ok, that's fine.
Do you believe in YHWH?
No...
OMG YOU'RE AN ATHEIST!!! WHERE DO YOU GET YOUR MORALS FROM!?!? WHERE DO YOU THINK EVERYONE CAME FROM?!!? SINNER!!! WHERE DID THE EYEBALL COME FROM?!?! /RAAAAAAGE

Everyone's an atheist, they just usually believe in one more god than me.
 Fenrir.Esajas
By Fenrir.Esajas 2010-09-07 21:37:19  
You guys need to read more of Sir Issac Newtons works. He found that faith in Christ did not conflict with scientific method but actually established it. Hawking's statement of his faith has no value or scientific weight. And it IS as statement of his faith. It would do us well to examine his faith with as much criticism as the atheistic scientists do those who actually do believe in Someone greater than themselves.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-09-08 00:18:50  
Fenrir.Esajas said:
You guys need to read more of Sir Issac Newtons works. He found that faith in Christ did not conflict with scientific method but actually established it. Hawking's statement of his faith has no value or scientific weight. And it IS as statement of his faith. It would do us well to examine his faith with as much criticism as the atheistic scientists do those who actually do believe in Someone greater than themselves.

Neither does faith in Zeus..

Neither does faith in Woton & Thor..

Neither does faith in the Ju Ju of the Mountains..

These are all gods of old religions that we now refer to as Mythology.

One Day....

Maybe 1,000 years from now...

Christianity & Islam will be known as Mythology!

Just like old rock music is now refered to as Oldies!

Old Rock Music = Oldies

Old Religion = Mythology
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-09-08 01:53:04  
Fenrir.Esajas said:

There's nothing about thinking there's a supreme being that is scientific, it in fact is an insult to science in itself and nobody who is a true man of science would think their to be a "god/gods" it's *** delusional. Religion = blind faith and is unscientific and quite frankly unreasonable.
 Phoenix.Esaias
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Esaias
By Phoenix.Esaias 2010-09-08 02:14:04  
1Corinthians 1:21-29 KJV

21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.

25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

29That no flesh should glory in his presence.

God saw fit to make some answer's unreachable.
Science is not what God has intended man to use to find him.
However he is there.
[+]
 Asura.Arkanethered
By Asura.Arkanethered 2010-09-08 05:30:47  
Phoenix.Esaias said:
stuff

This has no more validity than a section pulled out of any fairy tale book.

Zeus threw lightning bolts - It was written down thousands of years ago and people believed it so it must be true.

[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-08 05:52:19  
Stuff like that is part of the reason I left the church. It is written that He brought a light unto the world, yet He would keep us in the dark?
Quote:
25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
And then wrap it all up in a neat bundle that places it outside the realm of logic. Why then give us the ability to reason?
First Page 2 3 ... 37 38 39 40