Vision Of Abyssea Pre-release Sales Have Started!

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Endgame » Abyssea » Vision of Abyssea pre-release sales have started!
Vision of Abyssea pre-release sales have started!
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Shiva.Darkshade
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-08 09:22:51  
I thought Abyssea was that and Walk of Echoes was some EG hub zone like Sky/Sea.

Hmm. Going to be Sky/Sea/Space man.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-08 09:27:34  
Shiva.Darkshade said:
I thought Abyssea was that and Walk of Echoes was some EG hub zone like Sky/Sea.

Hmm. Going to be Sky/Sea/Space man.

Walk of Echos is a totally new zone. It can be viewed in may WotG cutscenes. It's going to be released in two parts (Similar to Al'Taieu) The first this coming update, the second, in the next update.

Abyssea seem more like Dynamis.
 Fenrir.Luarania
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Whknight
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-08 09:27:44  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Seriously, you people complaining about recycling material are just morons with no idea of the game creation processes. Every game recycles assets when it can, be that Animation, bodies, Animation skeletons, Textures and models, if you've ever been part of a modding community, you'd know. The issue is just significantly more profound because SE is working on hardware nearly a decade old, but there is no such thing as "Oh, it'd be easy to just:" when it comes to game development. Memory is the primary bottleneck of game content creation. The developers have the issue of having to make sure their content works on the absolute minimum they've sanctioned. Any one who makes a mod and says "Look how easy it is lolz" lacks even a tenth of the whole picture.

You're obviously not, since you clearly lack the frame of reference to support the claim. Comparing an expansion that came out 4 years ago, to content being released now is pretty stupid. They've added a lot more. Every item, every raid zone, every new animation, every new spell. It all takes up memory, and it all adds up, eventually reaching a critical mass where you can no longer afford 10 new zones at once.
Not trying to be rude, but could you explain the memory bit more? I'm assuming most of this is from PS2 hardware, but if they need memory why not upgrade servers or something?
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-08 09:48:46  
Fenrir.Luarania said:
Not trying to be rude, but could you explain the memory bit more? I'm assuming most of this is from PS2 hardware, but if they need memory why not upgrade servers or something?

Remember, the servers are just as old as the PS2, if not older. Just like you can't drop a new Six-Core phenom in a 9 year old Motherboard, you can't add new hardware to an old server. I don't know the limitations of their servers, I Just know they are very old.

Your question is a little vague, so forgive if I lack the intellect to simplify it to someone without the proper frame of reference. Essentially, memory limits how much simultaneous assets you can use. The game isn't really RUN off the Hard drive, the Data the game needs is taken off the hard drive, and run off the dynamic (RAM) memory. This is why having low memory reduces performance, instead of being able to run the entirety of what is necessary simultaneously, the Memory must purge and reacquire what it needs. The speed at which that can happen is related to the speed of the Processor, Memory, and Hard drive RPM, and it can only happen as fast as it's slowest part. When you're dealing with a game as large as FFXI, and a resource pool as small as the PS2.. well, You can certainly see the issue. And SE is contractually obligated to make sure the game runs on the PS2.
Asura.Jetzabel said:

This makes absolutely no sense - FFXI loads areas seperately with loading screens, it doesn't have a open world like that.

ToAU used the same gimped equipment that all the other expansions did, and you are saying its now impossible for them to make new areas if they wanted to? Do explain.

The game still has to account for the existence of each zone, weather you are in it or not. The game has to know "This is where this zone starts, and this zone ends" to trigger the loading screen in the first place.

Even one item with +1 acc over the old item takes up memory. However, the battle designers had to also lay the framework for ZNM, Salvage and Einherjar from day 1. And let's not forget Besieged, that alone is a huge kick in the balls in terms of resource hogging.

And I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that they have to be careful about frivolous resource usage. We are already getting a new zone, it's the Walk of Echos.
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-08 09:56:36  
No worries Zicdeh, I understood that. My server question is more of just getting fresh servers and transfering the data to them, though I'm guessing that would take a few days to do.

Thanks for explaining it~

Actually I skimmed over it, noticed a few things and then comparred it to a computer, honestly makes perfect sense.

Seriously getting annoyed with pointless fights breaking out, just let it go and let Jaerik (did I spell that right?) answer this.
 Ragnarok.Calif
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Calif 2010-06-08 10:04:22  
Sod the paucity of imagination in new area/enemy/gear design, all I care about is if they have mobs that give good enough exp to every(ish) job combination.

It's essential they get that right, or else there's gonna be a lot of bhaflau merit parties trying to find a new lv75 to sync to every hour as they grind to 99.

Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-08 10:04:38  
Fenrir.Luarania said:

LoL. You obviously don't understand the whole point of having servers seperate from clients. Kudos for your wikipedia explanation of RAM to Luarania, and your continual insults about not having the "proper frame of reference".

I guess when any of their server equipment breaks down, they build a new 9 year old server to replace it right? Cause that would make sense in the real world.

FFXI is limited by the PS2, but in the manner which you have described? Absolutely not ><

Well, then, oh mighty source of all-knowing knowledge. How do they lift their current Game Engine, built on decade-old hardware, to new machines with different capabilities, in a fashion that doesn't cost so much that it defeats the purpose?

Have you ever wondered Why there are really "Exclusive" game titles? It's not some grand conspiracy theory to make more money (Because cross-platform provides the largest client base) It's because, even though resource-wise, they are fairly similar, something like an Xbox360 and PS3 have such drastically different hardware builds that it requires a totally new code just to accommodate that difference. Even an Xbox360 and PC that share the DirectX link still require considerable amounts of optimization before you can get it working well enough to go retail.

It's not an insult to point out someone is ignorant if you're willing to help them understand. Just Because I don't know about Theoretical Physics, I should scream at Michio Kaku that "He be trollin dawg" when he's trying to explain String Theory?
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-08 10:15:26  
Answer was still PS2 limitations (not being mean here) so my question was already answered. I was more curious as to why they don't improve the servers but I'll go ahead and assume time, money, and looming 14 release (yes I know the rumor, still a rumor far as I know.)

With that I'm going to go about my day now since this is going to end up like that THF thread and I am getting tired of that.

Edit* New maintenance date, June 22nd if anyone didn't read yet. Haven't seen it mentioned yet.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-08 10:23:38  
Asura.Jetzabel said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Seriously, you people complaining about recycling material are just morons with no idea of the game creation processes.

Complain about Recycling material is a far cry from complaining just about zones. I stand by my comment, but I apologize at it's overly aggressive tone. Sarcasm doesn't not translate to text really. Maybe if I go all Elcor on you people.

Dismissive Sarcasm: Seriously, you people complaining about recycling material are just morons with no idea of the game creation processes.

Fenrir.Luarania said:
Answer was still PS2 limitations (not being mean here) so my question was already answered. I was more curious as to why they don't improve the servers but I'll go ahead and assume time, money, and looming 14 release (yes I know the rumor, still a rumor far as I know.)

With that I'm going to go about my day now since this is going to end up like that THF thread and I am getting tired of that.

Server issues, first and foremost is obviously cost. While it's theoretically possible to put the engine on new hardware, the cost to rewrite, test, and optimize the game's engine would potentially be astronomical. I don't have a lot of familiarity with just how complex MMO development is, but generally the rule of thumb is, Normal Game x150,000.

The best analogy I can come up with, is the porting of games from one platform to another. It takes time and money, and often, the return isn't sufficient to justify that initial investment. IF SE won't Remake FF7, FFXI has absolutely no chance of getting a hardware update XD.
[+]
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-08 10:29:56  
Shiva.Darkshade said:

Hmm. Going to be Sky/Sea/pSpace man.

Hellz ya!!

I'm a rooooooocket man! Burnin' out his fuse up here alone!
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-08 10:33:29  
But Jetz, games aren't made to make money!!

Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-08 10:34:31  
Fairy.Spence said:
But Jetz, games aren't made to make money!!
Cursed Canada! D=

Also.. how do you buy the reg code? I'm trying to get this settled today but I am getting no where x.x

Nevermind... I just spoted the link. Epic fail on my part =(

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-08 11:08:35  
@Zicdeh

edit: also: http://vocaroo.com/?media=vxBB6UvJ9oeh2pC7x
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-08 11:22:39  
lol http://vocaroo.com/?media=vxBB6UvJ9oeh2pC7x
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-08 11:24:35  
fixed and lol'd~
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-08 11:32:45  
Shiva.Darkshade said:
@Zicdeh

edit: also: http://vocaroo.com/?media=vxBB6UvJ9oeh2pC7x

Restrained Exasperation: Someone got the reference.

Final point: Of course it's about money, a Painter can't paint without paint. A designer can't create a game without money to fund the project. There's a whole layer of complication added by having Gaming be an expensive commercial Art like Film. But that's as much a part of the artistry as anything else, doing your best, with what you have.

I'm really just trying to say, they aren't lazy. If they were, we wouldn't be getting any new content, period.

They're doing the best with what they've got, and I think we can all agree, they don't got a lot.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-08 11:34:21  
Well yeah, I AM Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-06-08 11:36:00  
Guys, if we can put all the reskin trolling aside for a sec, an we get some discussion (and eventually more trolling) on why Rise of the Zilart is needed? My best guess would be the missions have cutscenes and quests in RoZ area, like the Temple of Uggalepih, which might give some clues as to what the story will involve.

If these zones are indeed reskins of the 3 crag zones, it may be no coincidence that the destruction of Abyssea is related to the 3 Mothercrystals in the crags. Perhaps Abyssea is an alternative timeline where the Empty succeeded in destroying all the Mothercrystals. Or maybe a timeline where the Zilart "succeeded" in activating Tu'Lia and that blew up the crystals and brought their Vana'diel to ruin...
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-08 11:44:31  
Well it must require assets/zones from RoTZ. We'll just see in a few weeks. Wonder if there's anything in any of these past zones that Abyssea take place in that will change that wasn't in the present. Building, landscapes, etc.
 Fenrir.Luarania
By Fenrir.Luarania 2010-06-08 11:46:55  
Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Guys, if we can put all the reskin trolling aside for a sec, an we get some discussion (and eventually more trolling) on why Rise of the Zilart is needed? My best guess would be the missions have cutscenes and quests in RoZ area, like the Temple of Uggalepih, which might give some clues as to what the story will involve. If these zones are indeed reskins of the 3 crag zones, it may be no coincidence that the destruction of Abyssea is related to the 3 Mothercrystals in the crags. Perhaps Abyssea is an alternative timeline where the Empty succeeded in destroying all the Mothercrystals. Or maybe a timeline where the Zilart "succeeded" in activating Tu'Lia and that blew up the crystals and brought their Vana'diel to ruin...
Brain is turning into mush, but that is a great thought. I wonder though if Xarc will be brought in as well, seeing how that was where a major battle that also caused how Xarc looks now.
 Fenrir.Anberlin
user: Kike
By Fenrir.Anberlin 2010-06-08 12:02:04  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Seriously, you people complaining about recycling material are just morons with no idea of the game creation processes.

Truth be told I really don't know *** about game creation. However, what's interesting to note is that there are games such as EverQuest which have no problem dumping a new expansion 1-2 times every year full of new content including zones, items, encounters, etc.

I assume that the number of total players for EverQuest is probably similar to that of Final Fantasy XI. Maybe even less. I can't imagine that Sony would go out of the way to purchase a bunch of new hardware (servers) for a game over ten years old. Yet they still pump out expansion after expansion, adding new content. They don't seem to be limited an any way. I don't agree with your theory.

I share the opinion with others that it's probably the PlayStation 2 which is limiting content. Maybe a bit of lazyness too. Who knows?
 Lakshmi.Tidusxcresxcent
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Tidusxcresxcent 2010-06-08 12:06:51  
The H2H Abyssea weapon reminds me of one from Phantasy Star Universe.

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7