Evidence For God. Really?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Evidence for God. Really?
Evidence for God. Really?
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-04 23:34:12  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
If you raise a child in the belief that there's a god, it will believe that UNTIL AN ALTERNATIVE BELIEF IS INTRODUCED. A kid will not randomly say "Hmm, wait a minute..." Just like kids believe in Santa Clause until: A) Someone breaks the real answer down B) They catch their parents putting presents under the tree. No 3 year old says "lol Santa? That doesn't sound right."

Actually..

Some kids do.. That is how we got religion :P
 Asura.Israfel
サーバ: Asura
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-06-04 23:36:01  
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:
The definition of Atheism is "Lack of belief..."

Do I need to define "Lack" <.<;
There's a difference between Ignorance and Lack of Belief, but you go ahead and keep thinking you're awesome :D /pat-pat
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-04 23:36:34  
Sylph.Oddin said:
Caitsith.Silvaria said:
The idea that atheism is a belief is actually quite hilarious...I guess babies are born actively believing there is no god? Hardly. They're born lacking a belief in a god, which is all atheism is. I hope that helps. 8)
/facepalm... Lack of knowledge in something does not mean a lack of belief. It's known as ignorance. Actively believing there is not God is atheism.

Is the disbelief of The Flying Speghetti Monster's existence actively believing that it doesn't exist? lol gtfo
Wait it would be NOT BELIEVING A = BELIEVING NOT A
What property is that?
 Sylph.Oddin
サーバ: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-06-04 23:37:05  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
If you raise a child in the belief that there's a god, it will believe that UNTIL AN ALTERNATIVE BELIEF IS INTRODUCED. A kid will not randomly say "Hmm, wait a minute..." Just like kids believe in Santa Clause until: A) Someone breaks the real answer down B) They catch their parents putting presents under the tree. No 3 year old says "lol Santa? That doesn't sound right."

Actually..

Some kids do.. That is how we got religion :P

Straight from the good folks at Webster:

Main Entry: athe·ist
Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\
Function: noun
Date: 1551

: one who believes that there is no deity

— athe·is·tic \ˌā-thē-ˈis-tik\ or athe·is·ti·cal \ˌā-thē-ˈis-ti-kəl\ adjective

— athe·is·ti·cal·ly \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-04 23:37:05  
Even the 'lack of belief' is still 'believing there is no god(s).'

Belief = religion in this case.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-04 23:37:42  
I don't believe in god.

No belief there.

I believe that I don't believe in god.

There is a belief!
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-06-04 23:37:42  
Caitsith.Silvaria said:
The idea that atheism is a belief is actually quite hilarious...I guess babies are born actively believing there is no god? Hardly. They're born lacking a belief in a god, which is all atheism is.

I hope that helps. 8)

Actually you're wrong... they're born with no belief, not a lack of belief. They are blank slates which their parents will teach them.

Imposing the idea that there is not a supernatural deity is a belief. Imposing there is a supernatural deity is a belief. Either way the belief was given to them and it's up to them to decide what they believe after that.

The only way there is no belief is when they are in complete ignorance of all ideas of gods or no gods, then and only then is it 100% up to them what to believe.
By semimmortal 2010-06-04 23:38:12  
Wanted to start a new thread like the OP and disappear, but I'll do it here:

Quote:
Infants 'have natural belief in God'

INFANTS are hard-wired to believe in God, and atheism has to be learned, according to an Oxford University psychologist.

Dr Olivera Petrovich told a University of Western Sydney conference on the psychology of religion that even preschool children constructed theological concepts as part of their understanding of the physical world.

Pyschologists have debated whether belief in God or atheism was the natural human state. According to Dr Petrovich, an expert in psychology of religion, belief in God is not taught but develops naturally.

She told The Age yesterday that belief in God emerged as a result of other psychological development connected with understanding causation.

It was hard-wired into the human psyche, but it was important not to build too much into the concept of God. "It's the concept of God as creator, primarily," she said. Dr Petrovich said her findings were based on several studies, particularly one of Japanese children aged four to six, and another of 400 British children aged five to seven from seven different faiths.

"Atheism is definitely an acquired position," she said.
Sauce and discuss.

/logout
By Trebold 2010-06-04 23:38:23  
Religion: Comforting those in a world torn about by Religion
By semimmortal 2010-06-04 23:39:57  
I don't believe in god.

No belief there.

There is a belief!
Or you could say God doesn't exists... uh oh?
 Sylph.Oddin
サーバ: Sylph
user: Oddin
By Sylph.Oddin 2010-06-04 23:41:07  
semimmortal said:

Quote:

INFANTS are hard-wired to believe in God, and atheism has to be learned, according to an Oxford University psychologist.

Dr Olivera Petrovich told a University of Western Sydney conference on the psychology of religion that even preschool children constructed theological concepts as part of their understanding of the physical world.

Pyschologists have debated whether belief in God or atheism was the natural human state. According to Dr Petrovich, an expert in psychology of religion, belief in God is not taught but develops naturally.

She told The Age yesterday that belief in God emerged as a result of other psychological development connected with understanding causation.

It was hard-wired into the human psyche, but it was important not to build too much into the concept of God. "It's the concept of God as creator, primarily," she said. Dr Petrovich said her findings were based on several studies, particularly one of Japanese children aged four to six, and another of 400 British children aged five to seven from seven different faiths.

Sauce and discuss.

/logout

The idea of a "God" at that age comes from their parents most likely. Not from the theological stand point. The parents take care and nurture the child in a way most people view God so the comparison is easy to make.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-06-04 23:41:24  
I don't believe in god.

No belief there.

There is a belief!

Saying I don't believe in god is exactly the same as I believe there is no god.

There is not really a negative in belief unless its pure ignorance. In the case of ignorance the idea either way, has never once crossed the beings mind.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-04 23:44:09  
There is, unfortunately, some disagreement about the definition of atheism. It is interesting to note that most of that disagreement comes from theists — atheists themselves tend to agree on what atheism means. Christians in particular dispute the definition used by atheists and insist that atheism means something very different.
-Austin Cline
By Trebold 2010-06-04 23:44:39  
Sylph.Oddin said:
semimmortal said:

Quote:

Sauce and discuss.

/logout

The idea of a "God" at that age comes from their parents most likely. Not from the theological stand point. The parents take care and nurture the child in a way most people view God so the comparison is easy to make.

This.

Children look at their parents and view them as seemingly supernatural beings. They're capable of doing things that they themselves cannot. It's only until they grow older than they learn, that they are no different than them.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-04 23:44:42  
Lakshmi.Feifongwong said:
I don't believe in god.

No belief there.

There is a belief!

Thank you.
Mag, you're just re-wording it so it doesn't sound like "I believe there isn't a god."

It's still a belief. Even in social networking sites, Atheist is still under "Beliefs." There is no "none" answer.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2010-06-04 23:45:11  
Caitsith.Silvaria said:
Asura.Ludoggy said:
How many more religion threads are you going to make?

I wonder, do you go on pro-religious threads and ask the same question? Or do you only reserve it for threads questioning religion? 8)
Well...this is the OP's 10th or so thread. If someone kept making the same thread with the same blended crap over and over, I'd ask the same thing. 8)
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-04 23:47:15  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

Actually minus the lol that is exactly what I did when I was like 3 or 4. Then I goaded my neighbor friend (she was a couple years older so easier for her) to stay up and prove it.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-06-04 23:49:46  
To a theist, atheism would be considered a belief.

To someone other than a theist.. Someone who doesn't believe anything on the subject.. Atheism is not considered a belief. Any atheist would agree with me.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-04 23:49:59  
Trebold said:
Sylph.Oddin said:
semimmortal said:

Quote:

Sauce and discuss.

/logout

This.

Children look at their parents and view them as seemingly supernatural beings. They're capable of doing things that they themselves cannot. It's only until they grow older than they learn, that they are no different than them.
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Lakshmi.Feifongwong said:
I don't believe in god.

No belief there.

There is a belief!

Thank you.
Mag, you're just re-wording it so it doesn't sound like "I believe there isn't a god."

It's still a belief. Even in social networking sites, Atheist is still under "Beliefs." There is no "none" answer.
Before I knew the word atheist, I would give the answer "none" to what religion I was. LOL!
A cop looked at me blankly one time and was like, "ok, I guess none counts as a religion."
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-04 23:52:58  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:

Actually minus the lol that is exactly what I did when I was like 3 or 4. Then I goaded my neighbor friend (she was a couple years older so easier for her) to stay up and prove it.

Really?
I've never heard of any pre-K kid thinking about that stuff, and I watched over them for a few years.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-04 23:53:52  
To a theist, atheism would be considered a belief.

To someone other than a theist.. Someone who doesn't believe anything on the subject.. Atheism is not considered a belief. Any atheist would agree with me.
Indeed while we are at it let's make not believing in aliens or that elvis is still alive into a belief
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-04 23:54:48  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Really?

I've never heard of any pre-K kid thinking about that stuff, and I watched over them for a few years.
I was an odd child. Everyone said so. My neighbor wasn't sure when I talked to her about it. The really funny part was several years later my 9 year old cousin still believed and I was like psh I figured that out long time ago
 Remora.Mataniah
サーバ: Remora
user: Mataniah
By Remora.Mataniah 2010-06-05 00:09:20  
SO Santa don't bring me my gifts?! thanks for the reality check fookers =P
 Shiva.Weewoo
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-05 00:13:27  
I'm back. Hamburgers were goooooood.
 Asura.Israfel
user: Tmuler
By Asura.Israfel 2010-06-05 00:16:00  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
I'm back. Hamburgers were goooooood.
And ya didn't share >:(
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-05 00:19:43  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Really?

I was an odd child. Everyone said so. My neighbor wasn't sure when I talked to her about it. The really funny part was several years later my 9 year old cousin still believed and I was like psh I figured that out long time ago
I woke up during one Easter night and overheard my parents talking while they're packing up the baskets. I think I was 5, I know it was before first grade. But even before that time I remember a couple of us kids were talking about Santa and if he was real or not. So even before the proof we questioned it.
 Shiva.Weewoo
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-05 00:22:21  
Sylph.Oddin said:
semimmortal said:

Quote:

Sauce and discuss.

/logout

Dang, you said it for me. Very well spoken dude. Kinda brings up the whole nature vs nurture argument which I discussed with my biology teacher back in 9th grade lol.
Good times. To make this article more interesting would be if it was compared between children with parents and orphans.
 Lakshmi.Feifongwong
By Lakshmi.Feifongwong 2010-06-05 02:17:07  
There is, unfortunately, some disagreement about the definition of atheism. It is interesting to note that most of that disagreement comes from theists — atheists themselves tend to agree on what atheism means. Christians in particular dispute the definition used by atheists and insist that atheism means something very different.
-Austin Cline

You make me laugh, and laugh again to be honest. Mostly due to the fact that I'm not religious lol

Belief in a so called "non-belief" is still a belief. Atheists just mince words to make themselves feel better, then love to shove their opinion in everyone's face just as much as Christians. If you don't believe then let everyone that has a belief comfort them until their death. Why do Atheists always try to go out of their way to try to prove others wrong if they have "no belief", is it to try and "save" others from their own "belief"? Do you like to cause discomfort? Believe what you want, but don't push it on others.

Let people live their lives and stop complaining, let the people do what makes them happy, stop trying to make them do what your perception of happy is. A preaching Atheist is no better than a Jehova's witness, their preaching their belief. Which makes those atheists hypocrites. It's funny how so simple a concept is for Atheists to understand.

It's so laughable
 Leviathan.Powerslave
By Leviathan.Powerslave 2010-06-05 02:51:46  
I remember I had a sub for speech class once who was a religion freak, and was trying to shove the idea of "WE ARE THE MOST INTELLIGENT BEINGS OUT THERE" down our throats. He kept rambling about how if the earth was 1 degree to the wrong side or if the sun wasn't X amount of miles away and blah blah how we couldn't exist, "What are the odds that that happens somewhere else???" he insisted. This really pissed me off, so I firmly told him that he was no one to dictate where life can and cannot thrive, and ridiculous for believing all other life out there has to thrive under the same conditions that we do and that it's the same as us. I got sent out for talking back >:/
 Odin.Gosuapple
サーバ: Odin
user: gosuapple
By Odin.Gosuapple 2010-06-05 02:53:22  
"God is dead" -Nietsche-
"Nietsche is dead" -God-
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9