users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » DNC stuff =D
DNC stuff =D
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Ramuh.Kalyna
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-04-27 06:41:02  
Ok, sometime in the near future (once i get this dreadful NIN job to 37 and get WHM to 75 so people would stop bugging me bout it) I plan on working on DNC.

1. I heard somewhere about DNC's steps and flourishes and how you do it a certain way when there's more than 1 DNC in your party. What's this about?

2. As a DNC/NIN, what'd be my macros? (like give me ideas)

3. How do you play DNC efficently? Like do what when, and so on.
 Caitsith.Vahriel
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Vahriel
By Caitsith.Vahriel 2010-04-27 07:13:08  
DNC, is a fun job and I hope you can enjoy it ^^

1. As for Steps when there is more than one DNC in the party, it's best to talk with the other Dancer, and determine which step they are doing, and you do another one. 1 DNC can easily get 2 types of steps to Level 5 and hold them there, with 2, it becomes even more cake. so it's best just to talk to the other dancer.

As for Flourishes, they won't matter as such, chances are you won't be using Animated, or Desperate, the other Flourishes are self-targeted, Stun, and for SCs, so, it won't matter too much.

The biggest thing with 2 dancers is Sambas, if you are gonna be using Sambas, make sure only one of you does it (unless its the exact same Samba), because, they do override each other on the mob. This follows true if you have 2 DNCs and one has 5/5 Haste Samba, and the other DNC doesn't, let the 5/5 Haste Samba DNC use their samba.

2. Macros aren't too difficult to figure out on DNC. Basically you'll want your Cures/Erases, Shadows, Steps, Select Flourishes (Reverse, and Stun (make sure stun is in a very accessable place)). As well as your Sambas. I only use 28 Macros on DNC (not inc. Gear Swaps) and I'm a macro fiend. And that includes all JAs, and Merit Abilities and what not.so yeah, best bet is just to have Cures/Steps/Stun in accessable places.

3. DNC is a very verisitle job, it all depends on what you need at that paticular time. If you're in a party, and you'll be doing lots of curing, then focus on getting TP quickly as possible, and Curing. If you're soloing, and surviving is your main task, then stack on that EVA gear, use Fan Dance, keep shadows up constantly, and use TP Effectively (if you're in no need of immediate curing or are very safe, use something like Phyrric Kleos, as youll get more TP (<3 Evasion Down)) That being said, it all comes down to practice, some DNCs like to experiment with all areas, some, like myself, like to find a niche and stick to that particular style of playing. Personally, I am a soloer DNC, and it's something that I enjoy very much, and it all comes from practice, practice, practice, learning when it's good to Conserve TP, and when to use it.

I hope you enjoy DNC, and I hope I helped, anymore questions, feel free to ask ^^
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-04-27 07:20:12  
Caitsith.Vahriel said:
The biggest thing with 2 dancers is Sambas, if you are gonna be using Sambas, make sure only one of you does it (unless its the exact same Samba), because, they do override each other on the mob. This follows true if you have 2 DNCs and one has 5/5 Haste Samba, and the other DNC doesn't, let the 5/5 Haste Samba DNC use their samba.
Hmm i've heard differently. Last night i heard that sambas stack (like Drain and Aspir) from 2-3 people in the party i was with.

Im wondering if they stack or not. (of 2 diff people using diff sambas)

and thanks for the info vahriel =D
 Caitsith.Vahriel
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Vahriel
By Caitsith.Vahriel 2010-04-27 07:25:15  
Ramuh.Kalyna said:
Hmm i've heard differently. Last night i heard that sambas stack (like Drain and Aspir) from 2-3 people in the party i was with.

Im wondering if they stack or not. (of 2 diff people using diff sambas)

and thanks for the info vahriel =D

Nopes, they don't stack, Sambas employ a "Drain Effect" debuff on the enemy, you can't draw say, both HP and MP from the same monster at the same time. What will happen is this:

Say there are 2 DNCs, one using Drain Samba (Johnny), the other, Aspir Samba (Leroy).

Johnny hits first, Drain samba is attached to the mob, the SAM in the party, hits it, gets some HP, then Leroy hits, and now, Drain is removed and Aspir is put on, the RDM now hits it, and gets some MP back, he will not get HP back too, only the most recent Drain Effect.
[+]
 Cerberus.Carinde
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Jacinda
By Cerberus.Carinde 2010-04-27 07:25:17  
I'm still in the process of leveling / learning the job myself, but Sambas most certainly do NOT stack. If I'm using Haste Samba and then another DNC decides to use Drain Samba after, the Haste gets replaced by Drain.

So if you have two DNCs, definitely talk to each other and figure out what you want to do beforehand.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hispiforce
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hispiforce 2010-04-27 07:26:40  
The effects granted by Samba Dazes are the lowest priority Additional Effects and only one additional effect may take place with each melee attack. Additional effects are prioritized as:
each melee attack.

Spells such as Enthunder or Dread Spikes
Additional effects on weapons such as Hofud or Garuda's Dagger
Sambas
lrn2wiki
 Shiva.Wynter
サーバ: Shiva
user: Wynter
By Shiva.Wynter 2010-04-27 07:28:52  
What everyone else says, ive never had Drain and Aspir and Haste Samba on at the same time...would be nice lol
 Cerberus.Carinde
user: Jacinda
By Cerberus.Carinde 2010-04-27 07:29:59  
Shiva.Wynter said:
What everyone else says, ive never had Drain and Aspir and Haste Samba on at the same time...would be nice lol

Would be absolutely awesome, and incredibly broken at the same time. xD
 Shiva.Wynter
サーバ: Shiva
user: Wynter
By Shiva.Wynter 2010-04-27 07:36:52  
Hehe yeh, i can but dream :)
 Ramuh.Kalyna
By Ramuh.Kalyna 2010-04-27 07:45:32  
kk just makin sure on it. i figured S-E would hate us and not let it stack (at least to 2 of them)
 Alexander.Varistor
サーバ: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2010-04-28 13:09:41  
Caitsith.Vahriel said:
As for Flourishes, they won't matter as such, chances are you won't be using Animated, or Desperate, the other Flourishes are self-targeted, Stun, and for SCs, so, it won't matter too much. ^^

I myself use desperate flourish as often as i can. It lowers the mobs evasion, and that is always a good thing. it is best used after at least 2 quicksteps have been used cause it can miss but lands more with more quicksteps on. Also, I use Animated Flourish in campaign because the more you do, the more exp you get. or if i am duoing. My two cents. So you know, SE did say they will be changing the way dnc is played in upcoming updates in some yet unknown way, but when i play dancer, my fingers never stop moving. I am always crunching macros. it is not a job that one can sit back and attack then walk away.
 Leviathan.Niniann
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-28 16:05:41  
Don't ever have two DNCs in the same party unless you're solo-duoing. In alliance situations they should be in a different party--and they both will be doing sambas for their respective party.

Steps will still be the same, since they're on the same mob. I generally use Box Step since the players I'm with don't have much accuracy problems, but if my boyfriend's DNC for his alliance, he's a little *** and uses Box Step so I'm forced to use Quick. When steps hit 5/5 on the mob, you will only receive 1 finishing move instead of two for that particular step, so keep that in mind when you're playing. If the mob dies fast (IE merit mobs) stick to one type of step if you desire, if it's a longer fight put on two. (Box Quick Box Quick repeat until both 5/5 then hope the mob dies fast or switch to Stutter)

I personally only use Stun and RF for my flourishes--I don't see the reason to was the RF TP on Gravity for "Evasion Down". Your party members shouldn't be having accuracy problems in endgame situations that you're allowed to go to, and using it is eating away your healing capabilities (plus stun timer).

One random move combination I do to save lives is let's say someone is about dead, I cure them, they're still dying, I stun the mob, then cure them again as soon as timer is up. Not saying this always works--you usually hope someone else cures the dying person before stun wears--but it gives the person time to put up shadows or whatnot.

Also another random thing is I only use Waltz III, the timer on IV is long enough to kill people. If you want to take DNC seriously, you need all your AF (haha suck me Thorny~) and the MKD Waltz timer- hat.

Oh and please for the love of all things holy, gear yourself like a DD job. Not a shitty one, a good one.

Also... if you're in a party situation. 9.999 times out of 10 you're not going to be weapon-skilling. Remember you're a support class not a DD....

More randomness I use two steps then Reverse flourish more often than not--the timers match up and such.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-28 16:09:57  
/thread
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-28 16:14:32  
ohi thar. :3
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-28 16:15:41  
Was waiting for you to post, was going to post for them to just wait for you. Didn't even read the OP, figured any answer I had, you'd cover it.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-28 16:18:19  
:D I can't think of anything else to add either. Besides ram into people's heads the importance of good gear.
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-04-28 16:24:48  
Me being a dnc i hate having another dncs in the party w/ me just b/c if am late on a cure i lose 65tp to heal 30hp XD

And w/ the sambas it depends which dnc hit last and the mob will have that daze untill the other dnc hits changing it.
So it wud keep switching back and fourth

And just think of Dnc like a whm but w/ tp, but make sure u remember u can't do Curing waltz 1,2,3,4 or healing waltz RIGHT after each other.

DNC FTW >:O
P.s Quick step would be the best step for gaining tp. After u get lvl 5 swap to box
[+]
 Sylph.Beelshamen
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-04-28 16:28:40  
DNC is fun, but it's one of the versatile jobs. Ain't got a specific area of outstanding expertise. I enjoyed leveling to use as a sub though. Have fun with it.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-28 16:44:24  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
DNC is fun, but it's one of the versatile jobs. Ain't got a specific area of outstanding expertise. I enjoyed leveling to use as a sub though. Have fun with it.

We excel in curing people in a "TP-burn" type situation, plus enfeebling/buffing. Dynamis and Ein rock with a DNC... and of course merits.

@MtMoogle: Quickstep is for people with accuracy problems. D:<
 Cerberus.Ferth
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-28 16:47:33  
I would actually argue against the statement that flourishes won't matter as much.

Especially in the earlier levels if you can land desperate flourish you always should, Gravity also gives an evasion down effect and unlike rdms with gravity you can use your desperate flourish every 20 seconds. Also if you are soloing and suddenly are in trouble, being able to run faster than the mob is a HUGE benefit (s'why its called desperate.)

Violent flourish also... not reliable as bashes or actual stun, but still a 20 second recast on a potential stun is never a bad thing.

Some important thoughts on Reverse Flourish; Never take it to 5, its a waste of time and a waste of tp. In all honesty the only time you should have 5 finishing moves is if you have No Foot Rise Fully merited. The reason for this is each step costs you 10 tp to use, and as long as a given step isn't capped you get two finishing moves back. 2 steps means you've spent 20 tp and you get 46 back so in essence you get 26 free tp. If you wait til 5 finishing moves you've spent 30 tp and you get 60, thats a 4 tp increase and it took you 15 seconds longer.

Another thing is that unless you need your finishing moves for something or already have a healthy pool of tp use reverse flourish every 30 seconds even if you've missed steps, (of course there is some leeway here, you're human not a machine so not everything is going to happen like clock work.)

Overall you will get more tp over time by using reverse flourish whenever it is up rather than by waiting to have an ideal amount of finishing moves.

For some macro ideas when you start getting to the level where you have gear to macro in for cures the macro i use is:
/ja "Curing Waltz" <stpt>
/equip Body "Dancer's Casaque"
/equip Head "Etoile Tiara"

The stpt command puts a cursor next to the names of the people in your party list and you can cycle with the arrow keys, you also don't lose your target if they change gear while you are trying to target them.

with this format the gear swap still takes place in time for the cure to be appropriately buffed but you don't blink out while you try to target someone (which can mess up your targeting)

Alot of Dancers go all out haste gear in there set ups, I personally don't but its a choice thing. In my opinion the fastest way to get tp is with reverse flourish so I focus more on accuracy. and given the frequency of step usage its really inconvenient to have to switch out gloves (and boots) every time you step.

Also another reason I don't go for haste set ups, especially when soloing is the more you hit the mob the more tp they get and given the mob can make a fight much more difficult than it needs to be. So I tend to have a healthy balance of attack and accuracy (and evasion when soloing/tanking.)

Um... this post was alot longer than i initially intended... sorry <<;
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-04-28 16:52:35  
@Niniann
You can never have too much acc D:
plus it helps the others with their acc
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-28 16:54:27  
If you have enough acc to cap then yes, Quickstep will be pretty useless >.>
 Sylph.Kozuki
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-04-28 16:55:20  
I boxstep most things

my tip: Don't use joyuese on anything above like, T. <_<

Cure waltz4 is sitiationally amazing, depends on situation(fang rush/mangle etc...) but it's generally not as good.

Macro in all acc/step acc gear for steps, macro in acc for desperate flourish(i think?), recast haste samba 1-3 seconds before it fades so you don't lose out on it's uptime
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-28 16:56:31  
Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
@Niniann
Get better DDs if they require quickstep, rly
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-28 16:58:37  
Fenrir.Mtmoogle said:
@Niniann

Accuracy caps at 95%, you can have have too much and the people I play with don't have accuracy problems. If I'm having issues I swap my body/neck for accuracy pieces over haste and that usually fixes the problem. Plus sushi is a DNCs best friend.

As for Ferth, I can understand the gearswap issues if you're not using windower, and step accuracy is probably the most important. However if you are using windower, you should be gearswapping everything, using blinkmenot and <stpc> tags for f1-6 superfasttargetting action.

yeah yeah yeah I'm a cheater, etc.

Also more cheating, I place my recast stuff right next to the HP bars so I can ride timers and watch people's HP easier.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-04-28 17:06:07  
Even if you cheat, I'm still your fan!
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-28 17:06:58  
:D
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-04-28 17:13:58  
I guess i just don't like to miss XD
As for getting new DDs if their acc isnt capped, i didnt do that seeing how am not the best player.
I do take pride in how my eva dnc looks like tho.
 Cerberus.Ferth
user: Ferth
By Cerberus.Ferth 2010-04-28 17:23:41  
f1-6 still works with stpt, and since dnc cures ONLY work in party I don't have to worry about accidentally targeting alliance members or anything. As for gear swapping hands and feet every time I am doing a step... the haste just doesn't make that big a difference. If you want to go through all the math we can. Yes haste is better... but its like comparing a plastic knife to a butter knife. they both cut butter.

As for which steps to focus on... If I have time for more than one step a fight I do quick then box. Level one in each is better than level 3 in either. If its a longer fight I usually cycle between all three and try to land desperate flourish if the accuracy is needed. Usually you can get all three steps up to level 3 or 4 before they stop wearing off on you.. and then you don't have to worry about gimping your finshing moves.

As you play more you can learn to distinguish what is best for when... If I am in dynamis on dancer I switch steps based on what we are fighting, thf nin and rng mobs get quicksteps everything else gets box. Unless its a time nuke mob then i just turn away from it and engage use stutter step then disengage whenever the timer is up. (Yeah, the blms dont usually need the help but its more tp for you and it's something to do.)
 Alexander.Varistor
サーバ: Alexander
user: Varistor
By Alexander.Varistor 2010-04-28 17:26:34  
It's so easy to sit back and say everybody should have capped ACC and get better DD if they suck, everything looks good on paper. Reality is, not everyone will have capped acc and such. In a pt situation, if people are missing then the pt as a whole is not doing as good as it could be. there is nothing wrong with throwing out a couple quicksteps to make sure everyone is hitting. I gear for haste, but as Kozuki stated, i swap in acc for all my steps and Desp Flourish. I guess we will all play the way we play and the OP can choose the style he likes from all of our suggestions.
First Page 2 3 4 5