Hello, Would You Be Willing To Help Settle A Bet?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dancer » hello, would you be willing to help settle a bet?
hello, would you be willing to help settle a bet?
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11
 Fairy.Vegetto
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 14:56:43  
in before faiye's semantics argument.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-03 15:00:49  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
It doesn't matter what the term is called. Who gives a ***?

You know the point, we've beat it to the ground. We can call it relative return, who gives a ***? The point is, w/e you want to call it, is only +38% when you have brutal, and is less of an increase than a hasso user gets from hasso.

It obviously matters to me because I'm stubborn and I don't think its good for people to go around spreading misinformation. Unless you've had some form of education in economics you're not going to understand diminishing/constant/increasing returns. The very notion that this argument comes up every two weeks proves that point.

And yes 10% increase in Haste will give you more increase to DoT than 10% increase in Double Attack.

Lets say you have:

480 delay, that is 8 seconds per attack or 800 seconds per 100 attacks.

Each attack = 100 dmg so 10,000 dmg total

At 10% haste

480*.1 = 48, 480 - 48 = 432 (new delay)

432/60 = 7.2 sec per attack round or 111 attacks in the same 800 sec

for total of 11,100 dmg

At 10% DA

100 attacks will increase to 110 attacks

for total of 11,000 dmg

As the total amounts of DA and Haste increase the margin between the two will be greater.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-03 15:03:32  
Well, how do you define increasing/decreasing returns? I say this not spitefully but out of interest. Do you take the differential of a curve representing the values you are trying to deduce the relationship between, take tangents at some points, find the gradient, and then if it's >1, increasing, <1 = decreasing and =1 being static?

That's the logical way I'd imagine you do it but probably not the right one. DA would come up as decreasing there and Haste would come up as increasing.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 15:03:55  
Ok, now let's see you do the math between a build with 5% DA and a build w/ 15% DA

Not a build w/ 0% DA vs a build w/ 15% DA
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-03 15:05:27  
The semantics arguement does not come up every two weeks, only that concerning the value of stacking each. My previous statement still stands, you're being pointlessly pedantic for no reason other than misperception and the inability to grasp the concept that a phrase can have accepted meanings other than formal economic definitions when not dealing with formal economics.
 Asura.Patriclis
サーバ: Asura
user: Patriclis
By Asura.Patriclis 2010-01-03 15:24:42  
It all depends on gear merits etc.

If your asking can DNC DD, well yes with the right gear and merits im sure they could pull down decent numbers in a merit PT and out damage some of the more shoddily geared DD, but if you're thinking a fully geared DD DNC up against a fully geared DD SAM WAR DRK etc, then DNC is not a DD.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-03 15:26:21  
Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Well, how do you define increasing/decreasing returns? I say this not spitefully but out of interest. Do you take the differential of a curve representing the values you are trying to deduce the relationship between, take tangents at some points, find the gradient, and then if it's >1, increasing, <1 = decreasing and =1 being static?

That's the logical way I'd imagine you do it but probably not the right one. DA would come up as decreasing there and Haste would come up as increasing.

The returns to scale are defined only by the units input and the units output. Businesses use these production functions to determine if the growth of their company will be profitable over the course of time. The ideal situation for a company to expand is for costs to go down as production increases. If costs go up as production increases then you have diminishing returns and its better for your business to halt expansion.

Taking the output and turning it into a percentage implies dividing one number by another, and then which number are you using as the base for division? At that point you've stepped outside of the definition of returns to scale.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The semantics arguement does not come up every two weeks, only that concerning the value of stacking each. My previous statement still stands, you're being pointlessly pedantic for no reason other than misperception and the inability to grasp the concept that a phrase can have accepted meanings other than formal economic definitions when not dealing with formal economics.

That's right, the only point I'm trying to enforce is the misperception. Also, its irrelevant that we're not dealing with formal economics. The rules of returns to scale can be applied to Double Attack just as they can be applied to business.

Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 15:27:48  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
in after faiye's semantics argument.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-01-03 15:31:29  
Ragnarok.Faiye said:
The returns to scale are defined only by the units input and the units output. Businesses use these production functions to determine if the growth of their company will be profitable over the course of time. The ideal situation for a company to expand is for costs to go down as production increases. If costs go up as production increases then you have diminishing returns and its better for your business to halt expansion.

So you don't deal with "rates of change", rather absolute values of return (so 1% DA would always = 1% DA by this logic and hence be static)? I'm just trying to work out how it is defined so that, although I feel that it is a bit unnecessary strictly defining it here, I don't "misdefine" it in more serious real life situations.

If that is the case, a more accurate way of talking about it would be that DA has a "relatively decreasing value of damage increase per additional unit added" or some such... not quite as catchy though.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-03 15:33:14  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
in after faiye's semantics argument.

I know you don't care but it might help if you actually read, you might learn something.

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
If that is the case, a more accurate way of talking about it would be that DA has a "relatively decreasing value of damage increase per additional unit added" or some such... not quite as catchy though.

Yes, that is more accurate and is the actual "decreasing" relationship that everyone in the thread is talking about.
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 15:37:47  
nvm do what you want
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-03 15:40:16  
vAfter breaking a promise I made to myself years ago and reviewing my economics notes, I daresay Faiye's bullshitting anyway.
Quote:
When increasing amounts of one factor of production are employed in production along with a fixed amount of some other production factor, after some point, the resulting increases in output of product become smaller and smaller.

If we consider the increasing production factor as DA, the constant production factor as swing rounds per unit time, and the output as DoT, it is readily apparent that there is an immediate result of diminishing returns if you view the graph y=(x+1)/(100+x), where y is the proportional increase in DoT and x is the amount of DA you had prior to adding 1 DA (the 1 in the numerator). 100 is the constant swing rounds. The slope is steadily decreasing and thus the return is diminishing.

Conversely, let us consider Haste. If we let y=(100-x)/(99-x) represent the increase in DoT by adding 1 Haste at various levels, it's pretty damn obvious the return is increasing.

Can we stop now? It's consistent with the Law of Diminishing Returns and thus the terminology is appropriate.

Unedited because I can.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-03 15:49:03  
Damnit, I refreshed the page and missed that post!!!
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-03 15:52:23  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
After breaking a promise I made to myself years ago and reviewing my economics notes...
Quote:
When increasing amounts of one factor of production are employed in production along with a fixed amount of some other production factor, after some point, the resulting increases in output of product become smaller and smaller.

If we consider the increasing production factor as DA, the constant production factor as swing rounds per unit time, and the output as DoT, it is readily apparent that there is an immediate result of diminishing returns if you view the graph y=(x 1)/(100 x), where y is the proportional increase in DoT and x is the amount of DA you had prior to adding 1 DA (the 1 in the numerator and the static amount considered to evaluate relative returns). 100 is the constant swing rounds. The slope is steadily decreasing and thus the return is diminishing.

Conversely, let us consider Haste. If we let y=(100-x)/(99-x) represent the increase in DoT by adding 1 Haste at various levels, it's pretty damn obvious the return is increasing.

Don't believe me? Do some basic calculus and take the derivatives! The slope of the equation for DA returns is y=99/((x 100)^2), which decreases in the range of 0<x<100 (relevant range). The slope of the Haste equation is described by y=1/((99-x)^2), which increases in the range of 0=<x<80 (relevant range).

Can we stop now? It's consistent with the Law of Diminishing Returns and thus the terminology is appropriate.

For the reasons posted five posts above DoT can't be viewed at as the "return." Its the relative value.

For the record, all examples of Constant Returns have this seamingly decreasing value that you're pointing out because you are comparing a fixed input to a larger and larger base sum.
 Asura.Envious
サーバ: Asura
user: Stewie
By Asura.Envious 2010-01-03 15:52:29  
Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Damnit, I refreshed the page and missed that post!!!
It was economics notes. Oh look Faiye was fast enough.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-03 15:56:30  
If you want to be that goddamn technical you can take the output at each stage as damage generated within a unit timeframe and compare them at relative values, which generates the same result and thus the principle holds. It's essentially what we're doing anyway, just skipping the hassle of calculating actual DPS since it's unnecessary to obtain the end result.

EDIT: You never said DoT can't be the return, only the % increase thereof. Damage per unit time is a functional output.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-03 15:57:33  
Someone's arguing that DA is more useful than Haste?

-Not really paying attention-
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-03 15:59:36  
Siren.Enternius said:

Saber Dance versus Hasso way the *** back in the thread, right now it's useless semantics because terminology is not allowed to vary in definition. Ever.
 Kujata.Argettio
サーバ: Kujata
user: Argettio
By Kujata.Argettio 2010-01-03 16:02:00  
Siren.Enternius said:

Not that simple/clear.

The argument is over whether DA gives diminishing or constant return. Taken to the strictest possible economic definitions.

Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 16:04:03  
While we're talking about irrelevant stuff, are you a bad enough dude to catch a senzu w/ two fingers?
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-03 16:05:37  
Damage per unit time isn't the return either, because its based on the output of damage relative to time as is passes. In this case you would have to create a new economic relationship specific these two new variables.

X input of time = Y output of damage
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-01-03 16:09:29  
Given a specific set of conditions you can do just that, so I don't see the problem. The combination of your stats set against the mob's stats in a given timeframe yields a specific amount of damage dealt (probabilities notwithstanding). The variation at hand is the amount of DA you have equipped, everything else is constant per my definition above.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-03 16:10:50  
So anyways about this semantics lesson of terms that aren't even generally used ig...
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 16:19:13  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
So anyways about this semantics lesson of terms that aren't even generally used ig...
so hey, how often do we agree?
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-01-03 16:21:31  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
All the friggin time! You just don't know it yet
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-03 16:22:34  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
I bet he disagrees with that too.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2010-01-03 16:47:15  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Fairy.Vegetto said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

Nice to see I can help bring two people together
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-01-03 16:48:59  
Fairy.Vegetto said:
While we're talking about irrelevant stuff, are you a bad enough dude to catch a senzu w/ two fingers?

The problem is catching it with THOSE fingers. I think I could manage with thumb + whatever the *** they call the finger that comes next.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-01-03 16:49:36  
Sylph.Beelshamen said:
The problem is catching it with THOSE fingers. I think I could manage with thumb whatever the *** they call the finger that comes next.
Index?
 Fairy.Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-01-03 16:51:28  
But then it would be a thumb + finger senzu bean catch rather than a two finger senzu bean catch!
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11