New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 71 72 73 ... 97 98 99
By SimonSes 2021-07-07 12:13:42  
Fenrir.Melphina said: »
Quote:
Nah path C isn't better for Trueflight. Path C is slightly worse for magic WSs but still very good.

That comes as a surprise to me. The difference between the two is 25 Mab and 20-30 base damage depending on piece, versus 8-10 WSD, also depending on piece. Is 8 WSD on the 3 weaker pieces really superior to 25 MaB and more base damage? I don't know the magic damage formulas as well as I do the physical ones, which was why I asked. I just would have expected path C to beat out path B for trueflight, wildfire, aeolian edge... etc etc is all.

Well tbh the best seems to be PathB body, legs and whatever else slot and 2 slots path C. This is because of diminishing returns on WSD finally catching up. That being said if you add wizard roll and Indi acumen, mab diminishing returns will probably turn it around again.

Like Kyte said mdmg is kinda weak for high ftp WSs. 115 mdmg from whole Nyame set adds like 1300 damage total to Trueflight.
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-07 12:18:36  
Haha, we both posted at right about the same time there. But yes, I think I see it now. The overall effect of the WSD is going to depend on how much MaB you have in your other slots and through buffs. The more MaB you have, the more valuable WSD becomes, and visa versa. It's a balancing act where increasing the smaller multiplier usually gives larger overall gains. The difference between the two paths isn't terribly large either way you look at it though.
By SimonSes 2021-07-07 12:28:50  
Haha, we both posted at right about the same time there. But yes, I think I see it now. The overall effect of the WSD is going to depend on how much MaB you have in your other slots and through buffs. The more MaB you have, the more valuable WSD becomes, and visa versa. It's a balancing act where increasing the smaller multiplier usually gives larger overall gains. The difference between the two paths isn't terribly large either way you look at it though.

Yeah, so its kind a choice between
B- for physical(high 1st hit fTP)/hybrid WSs
C- for nukes

It would be maybe a good idea to make a topic about Nyame and what jobs have use of what slots for physical WSs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2021-07-07 12:35:17  
I’ll add that magic damage is really gimp in the ws formulas too. It’s not modified by wsc nor ftp, so it’s really weak compared to wsd or mab
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-07 13:01:17  
Quote:
C- for nukes

It would be maybe a good idea to make a topic about Nyame and what jobs have use of what slots for physical WSs.

Nyame's low dex values hit a bit of a sore spot there. I can't argue with the defensive stats, but it sucks that nyame actually downgrades rudra's storm's damage over my existing options in almost every single case. Living more is in itself a virtue of course.... but it annoys me that they had to go and make the set so poor in the one stat mod I care about the most in my weaponskill sets. Personal gripe aside, I'd love to see someone chronicle that info on the general forms. It would be really useful to have as a reference guide.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-07 13:08:17  
Quote:
C- for nukes

Nyame's low dex values hit a bit of a sore spot there. I can't argue with the defensive stats, but it sucks that nyame actually downgrades rudra's storm's damage over my existing options in almost every single case. Living more is in itself a virtue of course.... but it annoys me that they had to go and make the set so poor in the one stat mod I care about the most in my weaponskill sets. Personal gripe aside, I'd love to see someone chronicle that info on the general forms. It would be really useful to have as a reference guide.

As far as my personal experiences- the real gems for Nyame path B are hybrid WSs and split modifier WSs. My Savage Blade on RNG and COR have seen the greatest improvement from just 2 pieces of Nyame above R15 (one at R16, another at R18), since finding gear with good STR, MND, and WSD is damn hard. Sure, most of the JSE pieces with WSD+10 on them will have a higher base stat for WSs with one WSC stat, like DEX for THFs, or AGI for RNGs. But when you need 2 stats both at high value, Nyame in some situations blows other options out of the water.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-07 13:34:22  
Quote:
the real gems for Nyame path B are hybrid WSs and split modifier WSs.

It's also better for most magic weaponskills; especially so for thief and dancer's aeolian edge. That's why I took such an interest in the magic weaponskill properties in the first place. Previously thf and dnc were limited to 5/5 herculean, so any mixture of R20 nyame B or C is flat out better. The flexibility of B is what won me over, but for most of my physical weaponskills I'd rather use other gear if I'm not fighting anything too dangerous. Nyame is to weaponskills as malignance is to tp, but if you're not likely to die there are a surprising number of cases where other options deal more damage. For me it shines brightest on hard content, since dying is a much bigger setback than anything gear related.
By SimonSes 2021-07-07 14:07:07  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
As far as my personal experiences- the real gems for Nyame path B are hybrid WSs and split modifier WSs. My Savage Blade on RNG and COR have seen the greatest improvement from just 2 pieces of Nyame above R15 (one at R16, another at R18), since finding gear with good STR, MND, and WSD is damn hard. Sure, most of the JSE pieces with WSD+10 on them will have a higher base stat for WSs with one WSC stat, like DEX for THFs, or AGI for RNGs. But when you need 2 stats both at high value, Nyame in some situations blows other options out of the water.

Kinda. Generally Nyame has high STR/VIT/INT/MND and CHR and low DEX I think in comparison to some 10%WSD JSE, but dont beat them all. For example RNG AF head with WSD10% has higher both STR and MND for Savage (not att/acc tho). Same for WAR relic head. BST relic head also has better total STR and MND.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-07 14:58:02  
don't be too deceived by Nyame path B and magical WSs. For the vast majority of people it will end up performing better, but if you happen to have some really good Herculean Dark Matter augments, it might not be so clear-cut. 30mab isn't exactly an astounding number, and it likely will take getting to the highest tiers of +WSD to compete with really good DM augs. That has been my experience.

SimonSes said: »
Kinda. Generally Nyame has high STR/VIT/INT/MND and CHR and low DEX I think in comparison to some 10%WSD JSE, but dont beat them all. For example RNG AF head with WSD10% has higher both STR and MND for Savage (not att/acc tho). Same for WAR relic head. BST relic head also has better total STR and MND.

I didn't ever say that nyame's STR/VIT/INT/MND/CHR could compete with most JSE with wsd+10. I specifically said the combination of two stats for split modifier WSs is where Nyame can shine.

...since finding gear with good STR, MND, and WSD is damn hard. Sure, most of the JSE pieces with WSD+10 on them will have a higher base stat for WSs with one WSC stat, like DEX for THFs, or AGI for RNGs. But when you need 2 stats both at high value, Nyame in some situations blows other options out of the water.

Then you proceed to point out "RNG AF head with WSD10% has higher both STR and MND for savage (not att/acc tho)"....why the hell even mention it if there's not att/acc? That's just a foolish gear choice in that case for Savage Blade. But thanks for the WAR and BST info on a RNG forum- I'm sure we'll get tons of use out of that.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2021-07-07 15:10:49  
Fenrir.Melphina said:
It still affects base damage, even if it is just added at the end. It gets added at the same place sneak attack's dex bonus gets factored in for a physical weaponskill's, so yeah, it's pretty insignificant. And I know the formula well enough to know how it works. The watered down version is

Base damage x (MaB/MdB) x WSD

So you're taking the base damage and throwing it through a pair of multipliers that each act upon the other. It's similar to how a physical weaponskill that can critical works, but instead of using crit attack bonus, which is always a fixed percentile increase based on your gear stats, the Mab/MdB is in itself a percentile increase derived from your stats weighted against the mob and can change from target to target. That's the part that threw me off. I just assumed an extra 125 MaB would be worth more than 43 more WSD. Of course the more MaB you have in your other slots or through buffs the more valuable the WSD becomes, so I can see it.

I'm aware, but there's a big difference between getting it multiplied by 6+ and, uh, not. And that's mostly why it's not nearly as effective on Trueflight as it is for Aeolian, with which you are likely more familiar.
By SimonSes 2021-07-07 18:33:03  
don't be too deceived by Nyame path B and magical WSs. For the vast majority of people it will end up performing better, but if you happen to have some really good Herculean Dark Matter augments, it might not be so clear-cut. 30mab isn't exactly an astounding number, and it likely will take getting to the highest tiers of +WSD to compete with really good DM augs. That has been my experience.

SimonSes said: »

I didn't ever say that nyame's STR/VIT/INT/MND/CHR could compete with most JSE with wsd+10. I specifically said the combination of two stats for split modifier WSs is where Nyame can shine.

...since finding gear with good STR, MND, and WSD is damn hard. Sure, most of the JSE pieces with WSD+10 on them will have a higher base stat for WSs with one WSC stat, like DEX for THFs, or AGI for RNGs. But when you need 2 stats both at high value, Nyame in some situations blows other options out of the water.

Then you proceed to point out "RNG AF head with WSD10% has higher both STR and MND for savage (not att/acc tho)"....why the hell even mention it if there's not att/acc? That's just a foolish gear choice in that case for Savage Blade. But thanks for the WAR and BST info on a RNG forum- I'm sure we'll get tons of use out of that.

Not sure why you are salty. RNG af+3 is perfectly good for Savage with it's higher str mnd and WSD. RNG has tons of natural accuracy and Savage Blade has 95% damage (or more) on first hit anyway and first hit get +100 accuracy bonus on top of that. So lack of accuracy shouldn't be an issue on Orison head. Now attack is open discussion, but for sure in many instances attack from other Nyame slots (body, hands, legs and feet) and accessories with combination of Naegling bonus and rather low PDL on RNG will result in capped attack without the need of attack on Orison head. I would definitely default to Orison head +3 for Savage on RNG.
 Bahamut.Atigeve
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Atigeve 2021-07-07 22:48:49  
So in terms of empyrens, I have read through various posts (I just searched Gandiva to try and see my answers) and generally I think I get it, but I really want to be sure in my decision and am asking advice. Right now for RNG I have fomal, anni, gastra*, I have yoichi at 119 but not AG just yet, over last months VW Campaign I managed to farm up 926 HMP so most of an empy, I think, I want to make Gandiva. It is a weapon I have personally wanted for years, not as long as I wanted gastra but a long time, RNG was my first 75 and I am in an awesome ls that lets me come rng so i actually get to bring it out and play regularly!! (Sorry this part is awesome to me since I have had it hung up for so long) I think what I want to ask is Gandiva is the best bow correct? And are there any situations I would prefer arma over gastra (noting I also have aeonic and relic guns) Yes I love bow but in generally I love rng, the im thinking of it is "I already have the best marksmanship weapon I might as well make the best bow" and I really want to get it, I am just afraid I will regret it. So with my weapon array is it a nice choice to add it to my repertoire?
By Vaerix 2021-07-07 22:56:10  
Bahamut.Atigeve said: »
So with my weapon array is it a nice choice to add it to my repertoire?

So in terms of useful, I would say you're better off building an Armageddon than gandiva if you want an empyrean, the reason being is ammo. With Arma, you'd have access to Chrono bullet (best ratk bullet) with a really nice weapon (idk what bullet Anni gives but as far as I can tell it's nothing to write home about) and you also retain access to True flight as a weaponskill. I too would want to build a gandiva as it's the best bow, however you'd also need to get fail not for your "best arrow". If your goal is one of each I'd say stick with guns and gastra, because aside from quelling bolts, your ammo is very much interchangeable as the situation requires.
[+]
 Asura.Essylt
サーバ: Asura
user: quro
By Asura.Essylt 2021-07-07 22:59:22  
If you also play COR, I'd recommend Armageddon over Gandiva simply for the shared utility and the fact that COR can probably make better use of it. Also, to get the best ammo for Gandiva you'll need to make an aeonic bow as well.
If neither of those is a concern to you, then it's probably a coinflip. You get better damage with the gun under normal circumstances, but you can to actually utilize True Shot with the bow (depending on the fight).
By Veydal1 2021-07-08 01:22:09  
Go with your gut and make the bow man. Enjoy the game.

There's so much cushion nowadays with content that it's unlikely going to be the difference maker between winning or not. Have fun.
[+]
By SimonSes 2021-07-08 04:36:20  
Armageddon is imo much better. White damage monster. Best Wildfire gun. Gandiva is slightly weaker for white damage. It can in theory outdamage Arma if Gandiva can be at True shot range and Arma can't, but when that really happens? Gandiva WS is also mediocre.

That being said, what Veydal said its true too. Do whatever you want and what would make you feel better while playing.
[+]
By Lobivopsis 2021-07-15 00:54:15  
So this is apparently possible.

By SimonSes 2021-07-15 03:15:21  
What's possible? I'm confused.
 Fenrir.Melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2021-07-15 03:41:35  
Even without dark matter you can get +35 magic attack/35 magic accuracy and a random stat up to 10 points on a herculean piece. That aug is fairly normal.
[+]
By Lobivopsis 2021-07-15 18:22:59  
Even without dark matter you can get +35 magic attack/35 magic accuracy and a random stat up to 10 points on a herculean piece. That aug is fairly normal.

I'm just wondering why you'd spend gil on Adhemar +1 feet carmine +1 hands for a trueflight set when you can get something comparable with a stack or two of pelucid stones that go for like 25k a stack. I know people are all about shoveling gil into lord Oseem to get some once in a lifetime epic augment but if your goal is just something comparable to the Ademar +1 feet or carmine +1 hands but a lot cheaper that's pretty easy to do.
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-07-15 18:41:36  
Carmine Finger Gauntlets +1 (assuming path D) are hard to beat with oseem augments. Adhemar Gamashes +1 on the other hand are not that hard to beat at all with oseem augments.

Who the *** tells people to make adhemar feet for trueflight?

Edit: And again I think people were just questioning your post, what are you trying to bring attention with the picture?
[+]
 Bismarck.Eder
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Eder
By Bismarck.Eder 2021-07-16 22:53:25  
thanks for the update - Last Update: May 20, 2021

I am intend to bring my R15 Annihilator into wave3 Windy in a few days, any tips that I need to beware of? apart from the obvious one like buffs and stuff (has Kclub)
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-16 23:06:57  
Bismarck.Eder said: »
thanks for the update - Last Update: May 20, 2021

I am intend to bring my R15 Annihilator into wave3 Windy in a few days, any tips that I need to beware of? apart from the obvious one like buffs and stuff (has Kclub)

if your group properly buffs you for it, nothing can touch Trueflight in there for damage, outside of Leaden Salute on the wave3 boss itself. But even then, on the Volte mobs and NMs my money would still be on TF. This means Anni is sadly one of our weakest weapons inside Dynamis-D.

TP'ing will be infinitely faster with proper melee sets vs shooting. On anything other than the wave3 bosses and the Volte NMs, Hover Shot stacks won't really be possible as things die quickly. And even in those moments, you can build stacks by moving prior to each WS while still meleeing for TP.

After considering the buffs you get in there, accuracy on RNG with proper builds is rarely an issue outside of kclub builds in certain wave3 moments, which if you're bringing a RDM (you should) can very quickly become non-issues with a Distract3. Magic Accuracy, however, should be on the food you use in some form- be it Rolanberry Daifuku or Marine Stewpots. TF numbers in wave1/wave2 won't be as clean, and the macc needs of wave3 are pretty high.

Lastly, a note on Windurst in particular: depending on the color eyes of statues pulled in wave1/wave2, ranged and magical damage is nerfed on the resulting mobs that pop from them. In Windurst, green eye statues result in mobs with a 33% reduction in ranged AND magical damage. Blue eye statues result in a weakness to melee attacks. Statues, NMs, and the mobs that spawn from the "no-eyes" Aurix statue are neutral to these results and damage reductions.
[+]
By Vaerix 2021-07-22 15:50:57  
Question for odyssey rng's, perun aug or kustawi aug for V15 Arebati. I normally cor for the fight but I've been building my rng up to swap with someone else. Have Arma and Foma for the gun but looking to figure out what to pair with nusku for the fight. Also recommended priorities for Artifact JSE upgrades would be appreciated, I was looking at doing preshot stuff first followed by head for ws. Have augmented nyame so I'm not really stressing the ws head.
 Odin.Demhar
サーバ: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-07-22 16:42:26  
Vaerix said: »
Question for odyssey rng's, perun aug or kustawi aug for V15 Arebati. I normally cor for the fight but I've been building my rng up to swap with someone else. Have Arma and Foma for the gun but looking to figure out what to pair with nusku for the fight. Also recommended priorities for Artifact JSE upgrades would be appreciated, I was looking at doing preshot stuff first followed by head for ws. Have augmented nyame so I'm not really stressing the ws head.

Oneiros Knife
and use Arma
if you go to the first page it has all the gear sets to put you in the right path
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-22 17:51:30  
among the two weapon choices listed, yeah Arma. I'd seriously consider throwing together an Annihilator- you'll never regret doing it.
[+]
 Odin.Demhar
サーバ: Odin
user: Demhar
By Odin.Demhar 2021-07-22 18:49:05  
For Arebati I like tossing in Annih towards the middle of the fight, shed some Enmity and a lucky chance of Triple Damage Barrage.
Very underrated weapon...
YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Asura.Bippin
user: Gunit
By Asura.Bippin 2021-07-22 18:57:16  
COR using arma and RNG use Gandiva with AM3 sets. Rogue roll to boost proc/crit/RNG WS. But tons of ways to handle the fight. Our group has not had a problem with enmity
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2021-07-22 19:41:13  
Asura.Bippin said: »
COR using arma and RNG use Gandiva with AM3 sets. Rogue roll to boost proc/crit/RNG WS. But tons of ways to handle the fight. Our group has not had a problem with enmity

Its definitely manageable w/o Annihilator, I just find I'm riding Decoy Shot with other weapons, whereas the hate properties of Coronach and Annihilator allow me to ride Hover Shot.

Just a Malbec or Pinot debate, not a Wine or Water debate^^
By Vaerix 2021-07-22 20:13:23  
The other cor doesn't have an empy I figured putting together rng would lead to higher damage overall or should I stay cor with Arma in favor of him using rng with just foma?

In regards to onieros knife I have my am3 setup for Arma for both, would I really not have acc issues using it over a 119 weapon with stats?

Have relic gun already set aside but I'm definitely low on plutons and didn't think Anni would be of huge benefit for the fight, over r15 Arma, is hate really that bad at the end of the fight?

Sorry for the multiple questions and any help is always appreciated.

Edit:Forgive any rng oriented ignorance, used to cor as my only ranged job and I know acc can sometimes be an issue for me.
First Page 2 3 ... 71 72 73 ... 97 98 99