2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 130 131 132
By Tanag 2018-12-17 00:57:19  
How does Yoichinoyumi fare these days?
I'm debating resubbing and wondering if finishing it is worth it.
I've never been a big fan of gun RNG for some reason. :(
 Asura.Arico
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2018-12-17 01:07:07  
Tanag said: »
I'm debating resubbing and wondering if finish it is worth it.

Not great. WS isn't very good. Gandiva is pretty good if you want to do a rng REMA.
 Asura.Zeroburning
By Asura.Zeroburning 2018-12-17 09:16:54  
Yea sadly bow in genral is just bad and gandiva only works in a few fights if geared right and ideal buffs
By Tanag 2018-12-17 09:38:34  
That's a shame! :(
Thanks for the info.
By Taint 2018-12-17 10:23:36  
While looking further into Yoichi since relics make big jumps at r15. (Yoichi is still meh) I stumbled upon how strong r15 Anni is....

Conarch is effectively 5.04 ftp at 1000tp, with a 10% attack bonus and very low hate. The attack becomes more useful with the pdif bonus trait and neck.

Last stand is 3.8ish ftp at 1000tp with better mods.
[+]
 Asura.Arico
user: Tename
By Asura.Arico 2018-12-17 10:38:10  
Taint said: »
While looking further into Yoichi since relics make big jumps at r15. (Yoichi is still meh) I stumbled upon how strong r15 Anni is....

Conarch is effectively 5.04 ftp at 1000tp, with a 10% attack bonus and very low hate. The attack becomes more useful with the pdif bonus trait and neck.

Last stand is 3.8ish ftp at 1000tp with better mods.

Agreed. The STP is nice too. It's been a toss up between anni, apoc and vajra as my next R15s.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-12-17 14:55:13  
Afania said: »
If I remember correctly, nisroch is indeed bis body for arma AM on cor, although megh is incredibly close that its not really worth the effort to get a jerkin.

Stp still matters for last stand because more stp more ws dmg. And despite arma is white dmg heavy ws dmg should weight a little bit more I believe.

I imagine on rng nisroch would be even better than on cor because rng has crit dmg+, which should favor crit rate more.

Your "Dream Tier" sets in your COR guide show Nisroch only for midshot (non Triple Shot, non Empy AM), and list Meg+2 for Empy AM up. So I figured that may have also held true when applied to RNG - though yeah, I suppose you're probably correct that the Dead Aim trait does make Nisroch a bit more appealing for RNG. As you said for COR though, probably nothing to make anyone feel that left out without the annoyingly rare body. I'm only thinking about it more because good fortune smiled upon me and gave me a Nisroch.

Non-empy weapons do have more use for a general STP-focused midshot piece though, so Nisroch would get more benefit with those weapons since you'd get more gains for that set which you'd use more often versus Empy (when you'd replace the general STP-heavy midshot set for something more crit-focused set during the vast majority of the time when AM is up, and in that set Nisroch may be better but it's a more modest impact than the improvement it would make in a non-Double Shot STP set)

And yea don't ditch Arcadian +3 for Double Shot.

Asura.Arico said: »
Tanag said: »
I'm debating resubbing and wondering if finish it is worth it.

Not great. WS isn't very good. Gandiva is pretty good if you want to do a rng REMA.

Gandiva is a freaking beast when physical ranged damage works, provided you don't become the tank and get killed. When the situation aligns, it's probably your best RNG damage of any weapon. The problem is its utter lack of flexibility - it's JR or bust, and the DEX mod doesn't do much other than boost JR numbers. If you're making it as a niche piece to accompany something like a Gastraphetes, and you whip out the Gandiva when you run into a physical damage fight... cool. If you're making Gandiva onry, you're going to feel its limitations more.

On the other hand, all of the Marksmanship RMEA can perform well in physical OR magic damage setups. For Empy in particular, Armageddon can play a very similar role to Gandiva with massive Empy AM3 crit damage + Last Stand for physical (IMO, marginal difference), but it doesn't give up the ability to use all that AGI for Trueflight/WF if the situation calls for it. Gastra and Fomal are also good in both phases, and Anni is no slouch along with the enmity perks.
[+]
 Asura.Zanosan
user: Kutsurabi
By Asura.Zanosan 2018-12-22 05:03:01  
There's been some discussion in here on how our group (mostly referenced by Snaps) utilizes RNG in dynamis D by
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
foolishly try and hammer a dyna wave2 boss with trueflight or something of that nature.

So, we made a rough video of our set up in dynamis which mainly utilizes the set up of:
RNG RNG COR COR BRD GEO
RUN WHM
and thought all you RNG peeps would be interested.

You can find the detailed write up I tried putting together here.

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
 Shiva.Samanosuke
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Samanosuke 2018-12-26 08:31:43  
We did the same thing on Jeuno, trueflights were wrecking wave3 mobs since they all weak to light.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-12-26 09:56:57  
since I was quoted, I will drop one line- the "foolishly hammer a wave 2 boss with Trueflight" was more a reference to walking in there while your party/ally is buffed for physical damage and just blindly trying to make it work.

I still find physical damage on the wave 2 boss to be more efficient, but yes, Volte Mobs are much weaker to Light based damage than prior waves, and a few tweaks with your buffs from a physical attack to a magical one, have the gear to back it up, and poof, you're in business.

Did I jump the gun with my comments? Without question. I definitely agree that utilizing a RNG based setup for wave 3 that buffs for magical damage and takes advantage of that light weakness is great. As usual, I don't fully explain on the page what's in my head.

Major appreciation to those who have taken such setups into dyna (see the new COR sticky for some great rundown of a ranged strat in dyna) and proven how effective it is.
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-12-31 14:14:23  
I'm having a bit of an issue with Trueflight, and maybe this is just a case of Pixie Hairpin being so OP for cor leaden, but when I'm on cor, I can do respectable damage with leaden despite not having a DP. I just picked up RNG from a very long hiatus, and I feel like my trueflight set is pretty decent, but I'm doing what I think is pretty poor damage. Is pixie hairpin just that powerful on cor?

My trueflights are doing less than Wildfire at least up to 2k real TP on fomal.

ItemSet 364175

Any advice?

Edit: Working on Eletta weapons and or Malevolences. Was in a situation where I was self SCing, and closing my own stuff with 2x Last Stand, so went with Peruns
 Fenrir.Ramzus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2018-12-31 14:56:40  
Double Malevolence, Weatherspoon Ring, Obi + Weather
[+]
 Shiva.Arislan
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2018-12-31 14:57:31  
TF and LS are very comparable in terms of how their damage is calculated.

If you're planning to stick with RNG, might want to consider Weatherspoon Ring. It's like mini-Pixie on your finger. But even without it, TF damage should still be (far) higher than WF at 1k TP.

Why Mummu feet?
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2018-12-31 15:11:15  
I don't have a set of herc feet yet. Didn't need them on cor.
 Shiva.Samanosuke
By Shiva.Samanosuke 2019-01-01 16:34:26  
2x malevolence is going to give you a huge chunk of +MAB
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-01-01 18:21:30  
Even two un augmented malevolences will add 68MAB to your set. Baetyl pendant will add a little as well. The suggestion of Weatherspoon is huge, functioning the same way pixie +1 does in a leaden set. Feet options can be several choices if no herc feet yet, like adhemar gamashes. Once you add in the malevolences, can change the waist to sveltesse gouriz+1 to balance out agility vs mab if desired.
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2019-01-02 08:16:46  
You know, I never noticed Adhemar Gamashes had matk on them.

I'm still working on Malevolences, but all Ingrid ever gives me is whm gloves...
 Asura.Limpbiz
By Asura.Limpbiz 2019-01-02 08:57:33  
If I recall prices on Assura is like 15 million for the feet plus one , there’s no magic accuracy on them it’s better to get herculean and dump some dark matter or pel stones. Cheaper also
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2019-01-02 09:35:02  
I need to get them anyway for baseline ranged TP set right? Might as well while I work on a good augment on herc feet.

I just realized RNG can use Vampirism too, which I have, so I can use that for TF while I work on Malevolences.
By olson2189 2019-01-02 13:07:05  
Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
Double Malevolence, Weatherspoon Ring, Obi + Weather

Orpheus's Sash to add to this.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2019-01-02 13:08:57  
Obi is pretty much always better, considering anything you're using ranger on you likely don't want to be in point blank range.
By olson2189 2019-01-02 13:33:49  
It's situational, for sure.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-01-02 14:33:08  
olson2189 said: »
It's situational, for sure.

Best use on RNG is grinding out job points/using a melee set with true flight.

I mean meleeing for TP is totally the lazy way, but when doing something mind numbing I'll take the path of least resistance.
By Swepttrippy 2019-01-07 15:14:01  
Hey guys, so I've been gearing my Ranger for Dynamis Wave 3. Below is my WS set and I would love opinions as to whether it is good enough to reach 90k WS's + in wave 3. Recently did a run with my Linkshell and the damage was severely lacking.

ItemSet 364314

Herc helm - Macc 25, MaB 24, WSD 3
Herc vest - Int6, Macc 34, MaB 20, WSD 1
Herc Legs - Int8, Macc 29, Mab 21
Herc feet - Int10, Macc32, Mab 31 pdt -2-
Dagger1 - Int6 Macc 7, Mab 4
Dagger2 - Int10, MaB6
Those are my Augments, Also switching waist to Obi when i have Aurastorm. Overall. Just looking for opinions as to whether its my gear that is too weak or I am not receiving the correct buffs. Thanks in advance!
By olson2189 2019-01-07 15:23:47  
Swepttrippy said: »
Hey guys, so I've been gearing my Ranger for Dynamis Wave 3. Below is my WS set and I would love opinions as to whether it is good enough to reach 90k WS's + in wave 3. Recently did a run with my Linkshell and the damage was severely lacking.

ItemSet 364314

Herc helm - Macc 25, MaB 24, WSD 3
Herc vest - Int6, Macc 34, MaB 20, WSD 1
Herc Legs - Int8, Macc 29, Mab 21
Herc feet - Int10, Macc32, Mab 31 pdt -2-
Dagger1 - Int6 Macc 7, Mab 4
Dagger2 - Int10, MaB6
Those are my Augments, Also switching waist to Obi when i have Aurastorm. Overall. Just looking for opinions as to whether its my gear that is too weak or I am not receiving the correct buffs. Thanks in advance!

I think Relic +3 legs would be the biggest upgrade you could make. I also think a maxed Samnuha Coat would beat that particular herc vest, though it's probably close. Baetyl Pendant on the neck would be better than Sanctity, but that's also a minor improvement. Other than that, your set is solid, so my guess would be you're not getting proper buffs. If you're the only RNG in the group, then for wave 3, they are likely running with frailty/torpor/wilt, and no sweet sweet malaise nectar.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-01-07 16:25:51  
post above nails it. Arcadian Legs+3, a capped Samnuha Coat, Baetyl pendant.

In addition, while I know that AGI is an off path augment for Herculean Magic path, I guess it bears repeating:

Trueflight (and Leaden Salute btw) do NOT work like elemental magic SPELLs in that they use the dINT (difference between your INT and the mob's INT) in the formula....they use pAGI-mINT (difference between player's AGI and mob's INT). So if the reason all your herc pieces have INT on them is pure coincidence, no worries...I just didn't want you striving for INT.

In terms of Samnuha Coat vs. a Herculean vest, I tried for a long time to beat a capped Samnuha coat with Herc augs..and only hit it during a DM campaign. MAB+20/WSD+6. I'm not saying that's some magic number, but for my sets that's what it took. Point being, the capped Sammy coat is damn good and hard to beat, so for the time being be quite happy with it.

If you're the lone Ranger in dyna wave 3 and aren't able to get acumen/malaise/wiz roll...at least have your healer who is very likely /SCH give you an Aurorastorm. Its something, it doesn't interfere with others' buffs, and its quite potent.

EDIT: Another option for a lonely RNG in dynamis-divergence is to be asked to be placed in the BLM party if your shell runs with one. I know its rare but some shells do take a few, and they'll be getting the kind of buffs you want. We have exceedingly high ranged accuracy once all our gifts are active (master level) and with some minor gear tweaks and proper food choices you'll live without Racc buffs even in wave3. But your Trueflight damage, that needs some assistance always.
By Swepttrippy 2019-01-07 16:40:24  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
post above nails it. Arcadian Legs+3, a capped Samnuha Coat, Baetyl pendant.

In addition, while I know that AGI is an off path augment for Herculean Magic path, I guess it bears repeating:

Trueflight (and Leaden Salute btw) do NOT work like elemental magic SPELLs in that they use the dINT (difference between your INT and the mob's INT) in the formula....they use pAGI-mINT (difference between player's AGI and mob's INT). So if the reason all your herc pieces have INT on them is pure coincidence, no worries...I just didn't want you striving for INT.

In terms of Samnuha Coat vs. a Herculean vest, I tried for a long time to beat a capped Samnuha coat with Herc augs..and only hit it during a DM campaign. MAB+20/WSD+6. I'm not saying that's some magic number, but for my sets that's what it took. Point being, the capped Sammy coat is damn good and hard to beat, so for the time being be quite happy with it.

If you're the lone Ranger in dyna wave 3 and aren't able to get acumen/malaise/wiz roll...at least have your healer who is very likely /SCH give you an Aurorastorm. Its something, it doesn't interfere with others' buffs, and its quite potent.

EDIT: Another option for a lonely RNG in dynamis-divergence is to be asked to be placed in the BLM party if your shell runs with one. I know its rare but some shells do take a few, and they'll be getting the kind of buffs you want. We have exceedingly high ranged accuracy once all our gifts are active (master level) and with some minor gear tweaks and proper food choices you'll live without Racc buffs even in wave3. But your Trueflight damage, that needs some assistance always.
Well, we actually ran 2 RNG RNG COR GEO BARD SCH. We also had 2 other Geo's in the other 2 parties. But damage was nowhere near 90k's on wave 3. We had malaise and Acumen, Sam/Wiz or Hunter, Aurastorm, Honor March/Prelude/Prelude/AGI Etude
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-01-07 16:42:32  
well, the only thing I could be thinking if you've got those buffs is that malaise wasn't active on the mobs you were shooting. Getting aurorastorm II (had a sch), wiz roll, malaise/acumen and a gastra user should be seeing capped damage more often than not.

REALLY dumb question....your gastra is afterglowed yes?
 Asura.Snapster
user: Mojopojo
By Asura.Snapster 2019-01-07 16:45:24  
Relic +3 legs for Trueflight is actually a step below Herculean Trousers. Even only a decently augmented pair will beat them. For wave 3 you could consider using relic +3 for the magic accuracy though. It depends on your overall build.

For body, go with Carmine Scale Mail +1. It's better and more obtainable than capped Samnuha Coat +1. Herculean can actually be better than both of these but you will need really good augments.

Herculean hands can be augmented to be better than Carmine Finger Gauntlets +1 although you will need some luck. Carmine has 0 magic accuracy though so I feel it's worth it to try for a good pair and take a slight DPS drop (or have a highacc mode.)

For neck get Scout's Gorget +2.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-01-07 16:53:47  
Asura.Snapster said: »
Relic +3 legs for Trueflight is actually a step below Herculean Trousers. Even only a decently augmented pair will beat them.

that really depends on the rest of your gear, and can't be said as a flat out answer. For many it can work that way due to the lack of MAB on the Relic+3. However, I use a pair of DM augmented herc boots with MAB+47 on them (for a total of +57mab on the piece) to compensate for the lack of MAB on legs. Now, if you have 2 herc pieces(legs and feet) both with around 25-30MAB/4-5WSD, it probably will equal out ahead of some augmented herc boots+relic+3 legs.

Its kind of like saying Eschan Stone is 100% best without storms. For the vast majority of players that might be true, but for many, Sveltesse Gouriz+1 wins out (from shooting distance, not factoring in up close usage of Orpheus Sash).

Trueflight is a balance between, MAB, AGI, and WSD...and finding the mix that yields the best results is key.
First Page 2 3 ... 123 124 125 ... 130 131 132