フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Firemen watch house burn down
Firemen watch house burn down
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Cerberus.Zandra
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-10-08 09:09:35  
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/10/firefighters-watch-home-burn-down-because-owner-hadnt-paid-75-city-fee/1

The mayor of South Fulton, Tenn., stands by his town's policy that led firefighters to watch from the sidelines while a man's county home burned to the ground because he hadn't paid the $75 fire protection fee, WPSD reports.

Gene Cranick, owner of the now-gutted house in Obion County, says he called 911 and offered to pay whatever it would take to get the firefighters to act, but they said they wouldn't do anything, WPSD reports.

They only responded when it looked as if the fire might spread to the house of a neighbor who had paid the fee.

"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," Cranick tells the Paducah, Ky., TV station.

Mayor David Crocker says that's just city policy.

"Anybody that's not in the city of South Fulton, it's a service we offer, either they accept it or they don't," Crocker says.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I love this story and the debate it provokes. Long story short Guy doesn't live within the city/town boundaries, he lives out in the middle of nowhere. The city/town he lives closest too offers fire service to this area for a nominal fee of 75 dollars a year. He didn't pay it, his house catches fire, nobody comes to save him because he didnt pay the mandatory fee. Now people are pissed off at the town.

What's the problem???

Discuss

[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-10-08 09:17:21  
$75 could have bought ALOT of marshmallows & weenies.
[+]
By Pawnskipper 2010-10-08 09:21:41  
They could have at least put the gd fire out then made hime pay the fee. His home was going up in flames and the fire department sat and watched. No one had to balls to step up and say, "*** this policy, this mans house is on fire and I am a fireman". The home owner probably lives outside of that county for a reaseon.
[+]
 Titan.Wombat
サーバ: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-10-08 09:21:54  
As long as no one was hurt and he had insurance, it shouldn't be TOO big of a deal. If he doesn't have insurance or someone was hurt, then it's really quite tragic.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-08 09:21:59  
Was it $75 a month or year? The radio show I was listening to this morning said it was $75 a month. I wouldn't have paid that crap. Would just spend that extra 75 bucks a month on better fire insurance.

If it was by year though, I could see myself paying that.
 Ramuh.Laffter
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-08 09:25:09  
Just proves that the world is run by money. Even "selfless" firemen have to be bought.
[+]
 Siren.Kuz
サーバ: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-10-08 09:27:45  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
$75 could have bought ALOT of marshmallows & weenies.
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-10-08 09:27:50  
Pawnskipper said:
They could have at least put the gd fire out then made hime pay the fee. His home was going up in flames and the fire department sat and watched. No one had to balls to step up and say, "*** this policy, this mans house is on fire and I am a fireman". The home owner probably lives outside of that county for a reaseon.

Also this.

I'd like to think that firefighters have the balls to stand on principle and risk their jobs to help someone else. Especially when they are standing a couple hundred feet away with all the tools to do so.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-10-08 09:28:02  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Just proves that the world is run by money. Even "selfless" firemen have to be bought.

Agreed.
And here I thought people took jobs like this to make a difference in the world. Oh well.
 Ragnarok.Zanno
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-10-08 09:28:44  
Pawnskipper said:

This^

And if they didn't intended to put out the fire, they shouldn't have went there to begin with. Since they were already there and had the means to put it out, they should have.

If they are that strict on policy and all, it shouldn't have bothered them if the fire spread to the neighbours house either, unless he (the neighbour) called it in himself.
[+]
 Ifrit.Frenchy
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Frenchy
By Ifrit.Frenchy 2010-10-08 09:29:06  
The policy seems a bit harsh. While I understand the reasoning behind it, it's not like they couldn't put out the fire, and slap him with some sort of penalty fee. It's stories like this that make me lose faith in humanity...
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
サーバ: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-08 09:30:31  
Most counties / cities / towns etc, have a mandatory fee that's usually about the same price. This town's failure was making it optional. I'm sure every firefighter there wanted to jump on it, but their chief gets orders from the mayor.

Sucks for the people that lost their house, but, what can you expect when you take the cheap way out?

I personally volunteered for 5 years before making it a career, having volunteers could have cut the cost of that, but, if that area dosent get enough people willing to do the job for free, the only way keep homeowner's insurance down is to boost what's called an ISO rating, which is a number based rating each area gets based on hydrant locations, staffing at fire stations, types of apparatus at the station, hydrant locations... it even goes all the way down to the amount of training the firefighters are doing per month. The department I work for requires that we do 2 hours of training per shift (which has to be properly logged and is strictly limited to FIRE related situations) in order to boost the ISO rating, which lowers people's insurance costs.

[+]
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-08 09:32:45  
Sylph.Washburn said:
Most counties / cities / towns etc, have a mandatory fee that's usually about the same price. This town's failure was making it optional. I'm sure every firefighter there wanted to jump on it, but their chief gets orders from the mayor. Sucks for the people that lost their house, but, what can you expect when you take the cheap way out? I personally volunteered for 5 years before making it a career, having volunteers could have cut the cost of that, but, if that area dosent get enough people willing to do the job for free, the only way keep homeowner's insurance down is to boost what's called an ISO rating, which is a number based rating each area gets based on hydrant locations, staffing at fire stations, types of apparatus at the station, hydrant locations... it even goes all the way down to the amount of training the firefighters are doing per month. The department I work for requires that we do 2 hours of training per shift (which has to be properly logged and is strictly limited to FIRE related situations) in order to boost the ISO rating, which lowers people's insurance costs.

lol, I dunno about that. Some of the faces of the firemen at the scene look like they don't give a crap. I'm guessing the whole ride over to the site, they were laughing it up about how they were gonna watch it burn unless it started to move to other places.
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-08 09:33:56  
Titan.Wombat said:
Pawnskipper said:
Also this. I'd like to think that firefighters have the balls to stand on principle and risk their jobs to help someone else. Especially when they are standing a couple hundred feet away with all the tools to do so.

When you have a family to feed and are working in a profession that, since 9/11/01 has been flooded with a bunch of hero wanna-bes finding a replacment job could take several YEARS (yes years) Risking that over a house that is already on the ground isnt worth it. I understand the emotion, but by the time the fire dept was called the house was beyond saving.
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-08 09:35:46  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Sylph.Washburn said:
Most counties / cities / towns etc, have a mandatory fee that's usually about the same price. This town's failure was making it optional. I'm sure every firefighter there wanted to jump on it, but their chief gets orders from the mayor. Sucks for the people that lost their house, but, what can you expect when you take the cheap way out? I personally volunteered for 5 years before making it a career, having volunteers could have cut the cost of that, but, if that area dosent get enough people willing to do the job for free, the only way keep homeowner's insurance down is to boost what's called an ISO rating, which is a number based rating each area gets based on hydrant locations, staffing at fire stations, types of apparatus at the station, hydrant locations... it even goes all the way down to the amount of training the firefighters are doing per month. The department I work for requires that we do 2 hours of training per shift (which has to be properly logged and is strictly limited to FIRE related situations) in order to boost the ISO rating, which lowers people's insurance costs.
lol, I dunno about that. Some of the faces of the firemen at the scene look like they don't give a crap. I'm guessing the whole ride over to the site, they were laughing it up about how they were gonna watch it burn unless it started to move to other places.

They looked like they didnt even know what they were doing, regardless. In that picture, look at the fireload. It was on the ground, there was nothing left to save. The Fire dept was dispatched after that house was gone and it was spreading to the neighbor's house (who paid their fee)
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-10-08 09:37:05  
THE ROOF, THE ROOF, THE ROOF IS ON FYAH! WE ALREADY HAVE WATER, BUT THE *** WILL STILL BURN. BURN BURN BURN BABY BURN!!!
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-10-08 09:39:00  
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

Agreed.
And here I thought people took jobs like this to make a difference in the world. Oh well.

I LOVE arguing with people who think this way..

What kind of example does it set for EVERYONE else who actually paid the $75 per year (who can't honestly afford this) if the guy gets his fire put out when he doesn't pay the fee???
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-10-08 09:40:32  
Asura.Andevom said:
I'm kind of with the idea of putting the fire out and charging him a fee later. It's what hospitals do, and they can't refuse treatment to you if you need it.

But seriously, just put this ***in taxes.

He doesn't live within the city limits, he doesn't pay taxes, to this city.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-08 09:40:42  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

Agreed.

What kind of example does it set for EVERYONE else who actually paid the $75 per year (who can't honestly afford this) if the guy who paid gets his fire put out when he doesn't pay the fee???
Nothing stopping them from charging him more afterward.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-10-08 09:42:26  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

Agreed.

What kind of example does it set for EVERYONE else who actually paid the $75 per year (who can't honestly afford this) if the guy gets his fire put out when he doesn't pay the fee???

If they never appeared, I wouldn't be bothered. The fact that they appeared and then sat there and watched it bugged me. That's like having no health insurance and getting a doctor to come to your house just to watch you bleed out.
[+]
 Titan.Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-10-08 09:43:17  
He did offer to pay whatever they wanted. Seems like they just wanted to make an example of him. I bet they banked off all the people in the area who hadn't paid up and were scared by this.
[+]
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-10-08 09:45:33  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

Agreed.

What kind of example does it set for EVERYONE else who actually paid the $75 per year (who can't honestly afford this) if the guy who paid gets his fire put out when he doesn't pay the fee???

So if the after charge is a few thousand dollars, will the fire department EVER see it? If so then I can see your point, but there is no guarantee that the fee will ever get paid, and we're back in the same spot, he got the service without paying. If the fee is a few hundred dollars and he does pay it we're STILL in the same place, I venture to say that if the system is; you don't pay the fee and it only costs 750 dollars if they come then why would anyone cough up $75/year to pay for something that is such a low risk?

You're system, asks the majority of people to be chumps... I shall deem it chumponomics.
[+]
 Sylph.Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-08 09:45:40  
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Agreed. And here I thought people took jobs like this to make a difference in the world. Oh well.
I LOVE arguing with people who think this way.. What kind of example does it set for EVERYONE else who actually paid the $75 per year (who can't honestly afford this) if the guy who paid gets his fire put out when he doesn't pay the fee???

I think it was more of a scare tactic for those other homeowners who didnt pay. I do agree with putting it out from the start regardless, then fining him for not paying his fee, but that's what the mayor gets for not having a backbone and making it mandatory.

Walking away from something actively burning will do nothing but give the mayor and firefighters a black eye. From what I saw in the video, several of them were volunteers, which are easily spotted by the sleevless shirt / non-professional clothing. One thing I will say about most volunteers is: They're volunteering to do the work for free out of passion / or to work up pussy, or both. I'm sure they were wanting to do their job, but politics cockblocked them.
 Ramuh.Laffter
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-08 09:48:46  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

Agreed.

So if the after charge is a few thousand dollars, will the fire department EVER see it? If so then I can see your point, but there is no guarantee that the fee will ever get paid, and we're back in the same spot, he got the service without paying. If the fee is a few hundred dollars and he does pay it we're STILL in the same place, I venture to say that if the system is; you don't pay the fee and it only costs 750 dollars if they come then why would anyone cough up $75/year to pay for something that is such a low risk?

You're system, asks the majority of people to be chumps... I shall deem it chumponomics.
I suppose you're one of those that's okay with a system where money buys things that are normally considered common courtesy.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zanno
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: zanno
By Ragnarok.Zanno 2010-10-08 09:52:54  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:

Agreed.

I think you are missing the point. They went to this mans house, they already knew he hadn't paid the fee. For what reason? "just in case it spread to the neighbours house"?

Since when do firefighters go out to houses that aren't on fire? Do you really think the city would waste money on sending them out to houses thatmight or might not catch on fire? They obviously went there to make an example of this one man. Which is wrong.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-08 09:55:48  
lol, this reminds me of that/those Batman cartoon episodes. The mobsters would go around asking for money for something like "safety insurance". After a couple of weeks, they'd go and rob the people who didn't pay up.

Conspiracy Theory:
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-08 09:58:43  
Sylph.Washburn said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ramuh.Haseyo said:
Ramuh.Laffter said:
Agreed. And here I thought people took jobs like this to make a difference in the world. Oh well.
I LOVE arguing with people who think this way.. What kind of example does it set for EVERYONE else who actually paid the $75 per year (who can't honestly afford this) if the guy who paid gets his fire put out when he doesn't pay the fee???
I think it was more of a scare tactic for those other homeowners who didnt pay. I do agree with putting it out from the start regardless, then fining him for not paying his fee, but that's what the mayor gets for not having a backbone and making it mandatory. Walking away from something actively burning will do nothing but give the mayor and firefighters a black eye. From what I saw in the video, several of them were volunteers, which are easily spotted by the sleevless shirt / non-professional clothing. One thing I will say about most volunteers is: They're volunteering to do the work for free out of passion / or to work up pussy, or both. I'm sure they were wanting to do their job, but politics cockblocked them.

Well, one thing's for sure. They won't be getting much *** from this endeavor.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-10-08 10:00:14  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
lol, this reminds me of that/those Batman cartoon episodes. The mobsters would go around asking for money for something like "safety insurance". After a couple of weeks, they'd go and rob the people who didn't pay up.

Conspiracy Theory:
[+]

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9