サーバ: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-10-08 13:37:10  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Titan.Wombat said:
RealTrue conspiracy theory:
*removes mask*
Look gang! Old man Wombat is really PeTA!
By Kailana 2010-10-08 13:44:53  
The poor animals. Those firemen make me sick.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-10-08 13:46:40  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Sylph.Washburn said:
I think it was more of a scare tactic for those other homeowners who didnt pay. I do agree with putting it out from the start regardless, then fining him for not paying his fee, but that's what the mayor gets for not having a backbone and making it mandatory. Walking away from something actively burning will do nothing but give the mayor and firefighters a black eye. From what I saw in the video, several of them were volunteers, which are easily spotted by the sleevless shirt / non-professional clothing. One thing I will say about most volunteers is: They're volunteering to do the work for free out of passion / or to work up pussy, or both. I'm sure they were wanting to do their job, but politics cockblocked them.
Well, one thing's for sure. They won't be getting much *** from this endeavor.

Kailana said:

It's annoying how transparent women can be. Dude starts volunteering for a fire department to show off for a chick. Chick thinks, "Oh, he's such a good guy, he'll be a great father to my kids." Guy thinks, "Yeah, she'll dig this and she'll totally put out for me."

Then, of course, when something like this happens, it backfires. Regardless of the situation, those girls who were easily swayed for the "good guy" bs, are again easily swayed into hating those firemen for "letting the animals die".
 Bismarck.Drakelth
サーバ: Bismarck
user: drakelth
By Bismarck.Drakelth 2010-10-08 13:51:32  
The man had the option to pay for the service, he choose not to. That money pays the firemen's wages, why should they have to risk there lives and waste there time doing something for free.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Lakshmi.Ricco
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Ricco
By Lakshmi.Ricco 2010-10-08 13:58:18  
Sylph.Washburn said:
Most counties / cities / towns etc, have a mandatory fee that's usually about the same price. This town's failure was making it optional. I'm sure every firefighter there wanted to jump on it, but their chief gets orders from the mayor.

Sucks for the people that lost their house, but, what can you expect when you take the cheap way out?

Well personally I have never heard of such a fee previously living in rural areas of my state and now one of the major cities. This imo is complete *** I thought public safety services were paid through taxes this should not have happened I feel sorry the man lost his home along with many memories in that fire.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-08 14:00:40  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
why should they have to risk there lives and waste there time doing something for free.
I thought most people become a fireman, police officer, or a teacher and such for the moral justification of it; not more or less a waste of time 8\

Either way though, it ain't the firefighter's fault it went down like that, but rather the government's control over the situation.

you can't do much moral good riding around on a bicycle squirting fires with a water pistol

you kind of need some cash
[+]
 Asura.Luelle
サーバ: Asura
user: Luelle
By Asura.Luelle 2010-10-08 14:04:54  
My whole thing when I heard about this was what if there was someone still in the house? Would they have still had that "It's not our problem" attitude? It's not like the fire department could verify that no one else was in the house.... so had the guy said someone is the house...would they have tried to save it?

Ramuh.Vinvv
サーバ: Ramuh
user: vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-08 14:09:04  
Asura.Luelle said:
My whole thing when I heard about this was what if there was someone still in the house? Would they have still had that "It's not our problem" attitude? It's not like the fire department could verify that no one else was in the house.... so had the guy said someone is the house...would they have tried to save it?

If someone was still in the home they would have responded accordingly, from what I've seen there were only like pets in the home and whatnot.
I don't know if they would have tried to put out the fire to "put out the fire" but they would try to do so while rescuing the trapped person :/

Lakshmi.Ricco said:
Well personally I have never heard of such a fee previously living in rural areas of my state and now one of the major cities. This imo is complete *** I thought public safety services were paid through taxes this should not have happened I feel sorry the man lost his home along with many memories in that fire.
these people aren't here to protect your assets, your memories or anything like that.
rudimentary service stops at protection of life.
 Titan.Wombat
サーバ: Titan
user: Wombat
By Titan.Wombat 2010-10-08 14:09:58  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Drakelth said:
why should they have to risk there lives and waste there time doing something for free.
I thought most people become a fireman, police officer, or a teacher and such for the moral justification of it; not more or less a waste of time 8\

Either way though, it ain't the firefighter's fault it went down like that, but rather the government's control over the situation.

you can't do much moral good riding around on a bicycle squirting fires with a water pistol

Maybe not a lot of "moral good." You would score all those chicks the firemen used to be getting, though.
 Sylph.Washburn
サーバ: Sylph
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-08 14:12:00  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Sylph.Washburn said:
I think it was more of a scare tactic for those other homeowners who didnt pay. I do agree with putting it out from the start regardless, then fining him for not paying his fee, but that's what the mayor gets for not having a backbone and making it mandatory. Walking away from something actively burning will do nothing but give the mayor and firefighters a black eye. From what I saw in the video, several of them were volunteers, which are easily spotted by the sleevless shirt / non-professional clothing. One thing I will say about most volunteers is: They're volunteering to do the work for free out of passion / or to work up pussy, or both. I'm sure they were wanting to do their job, but politics cockblocked them.
Kailana said:
It's annoying how transparent women can be. Dude starts volunteering for a fire department to show off for a chick. Chick thinks, "Oh, he's such a good guy, he'll be a great father to my kids." Guy thinks, "Yeah, she'll dig this and she'll totally put out for me." Then, of course, when something like this happens, it backfires. Regardless of the situation, those girls who were easily swayed for the "good guy" bs, are again easily swayed into hating those firemen for "letting the animals die".
It's a damn shame too, I'm just going to start carrying a decoy animal or a live one that i can rescue anytime there's women around so i can be like "Oh hey, look what i found just in time"

But in all seriousness, the pets were long gone by the time the firemen got there.

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Fallon
user: Fallon614
By Sylph.Fallon 2010-10-08 14:14:33  
Lakshmi.Ricco said:
Sylph.Washburn said:
Most counties / cities / towns etc, have a mandatory fee that's usually about the same price. This town's failure was making it optional. I'm sure every firefighter there wanted to jump on it, but their chief gets orders from the mayor.

Sucks for the people that lost their house, but, what can you expect when you take the cheap way out?

it's ok you will find out about the real world soon, it works on money not good feelings and rainbows. Owning a house is expesnive and not having insurance or having your house covered in case of accidents is a dumbfuck thing to do. No firefighters do not risk life and injury for nothing. This is not a disney movie. If you dont wanna pay into the system this is what happens. It's pretty simple really.
[+]
By Kailana 2010-10-08 14:15:18  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Sylph.Washburn said:

Kailana said:

It's annoying how transparent women can be. Dude starts volunteering for a fire department to show off for a chick. Chick thinks, "Oh, he's such a good guy, he'll be a great father to my kids." Guy thinks, "Yeah, she'll dig this and she'll totally put out for me."

Then, of course, when something like this happens, it backfires. Regardless of the situation, those girls who were easily swayed for the "good guy" bs, are again easily swayed into hating those firemen for "letting the animals die".

I don't quite understand where I fit into this equation. The part where I swoon over big muscley heroic firemen part...when did that come up? I don't think I'm being transparent at all. I think firemen showed up to watch a house burn that had living things in it...firemen who had the capacity to at least try and do something, and then charge the fee afterwards, and if the guy didn't want to pay it, they could seek some kind of legislative action. They'd likely win as he said he would pay anything for them to act and try to save it. The entire scenario (that I really shouldn't judge as it's on the internet and I wasn't there...but since this is debate or w/e, let it fly!) makes me think of police showing up to a robbery of a cornerstore somewhere, parking across the street, and standing there to watch, only jumping into action if the criminal assaults someone or tries to rob someone who has already paid their protection money. Ambulances, Hospitals, even some pharmacies will do the service first, and ask for money later if it's an essential service that you simply can't pay for at the time.

The whole thing makes me sick, really. The idea that you're drawing some sexist metaphor out of random peoples posts is just...odd.

I'm glad you think I'm transparent though. I've always wanted to be a ghost and scare people. xD
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-08 14:15:19  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

Morals and cash are two different priorities, when you look at a fireman or a teacher (no one like police so they don't fit this description lol), you look at them like they are a hero making a difference in the community and not some money hungry person.

Not trying to sound like I'm arguing the whole pay the fee thing, but it did go down correctly if you think about the larger picture; even so, those kinds of service are suppose to be state paid and not individually paid within the ENTIRE state imo.
Putting people up on a pedestal is stupid and you are being stupid if you do it.
So assuming every firefighter and teacher has to be a hero is stupid in and of itself.

Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-08 14:18:02  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

Morals and cash are two different priorities, when you look at a fireman or a teacher (not many ppl like police so they don't fit this description lol), you look at them like they are a hero making a difference in the community and not some money hungry person.

yeah, you generally do

but

if teachers find their wages low enough, the nea WILL strike to force a wage hike

even the good guys gotta eat
 Sylph.Fallon
user: Fallon614
By Sylph.Fallon 2010-10-08 14:18:42  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

Morals and cash are two different priorities, when you look at a fireman or a teacher (no one like police so they don't fit this description lol), you look at them like they are a hero making a difference in the community and not some money hungry person.

Not trying to sound like I'm arguing the whole pay the fee thing, but it did go down correctly if you think about the larger picture; even so, those kinds of service are suppose to be state paid and not individually paid within the ENTIRE state imo.
Putting people up on a pedestal is stupid and you are being stupid if you do it.
So assuming every firefighter and teacher has to be a hero is stupid in and of itself.

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-08 14:23:06  
Sylph.Fallon said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

mmmmmmmm

my mom is a teacher

she's extremely smart, competent and could have easily made more money in another field

she decided to become an elementary school teacher because she wanted to contribute

i'm not sure that putting her on a pedestal is the right word for it

but i DO admire her for doing something i wouldn't do without ample compensation because she feels it's the right thing to do

that said

police and teachers are not automatically heroes, some of them suck

but i think the best of them just might be
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-08 14:24:07  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Putting people up on a pedestal is stupid and only stupid people do it.
Didn't say put them on a pedestal like they are better than another; was more referring to the morality and the respect that is due out of a job like that.

Ofc not everyone has the same mentality and such, but I'd like to think they are doing it for the greater good and not just there for a simple pay check.
excluding the pets of course there's not much else that this man lost that wasn't his own damn fault.
you can say this is something wrong with the country, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. i wish it was drawn on larger things, but you have the senate and house sitting on their thumbs spinning on topics like that.

Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

mmmmmmmm

my mom is a teacher

she's extremely smart, competent and could have easily made more money in another field

she decided to become an elementary school teacher because she wanted to contribute

i'm not sure that putting her on a pedestal is the right word for it

but i DO admire her for doing something i wouldn't do without ample compensation because she feels it's the right thing to do

that said

police and teachers are not automatically heroes, some of them suck

but i think the best of them just might be

I'm not saying it's wrong to say that a teacher or a firefighter can be a "hero", but expecting them to be a hero all the time is selfish.
i dunno why you guys got confused on my reference to the pedestal...i was referring to the fact that it's stupid to put an every-day person who did something amazing at an elevated status.
we are all capable of these things to an extent.
on the topic of teachers...our countries school system is absolute garbage.
football>good education 9/10
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-08 14:24:17  
Meh he should've paid. If they had saved the house anyways what would've been the point of the fee? Who would've paid it later knowning you clearly didn't have to and could still get the benefits.

Also the real cause of the fire
 Leviathan.Catnipthief
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Fyyvoaa
By Leviathan.Catnipthief 2010-10-08 14:27:22  
Cerberus.Zandra said:
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/10/firefighters-watch-home-burn-down-because-owner-hadnt-paid-75-city-fee/1

The mayor of South Fulton, Tenn., stands by his town's policy that led firefighters to watch from the sidelines while a man's county home burned to the ground because he hadn't paid the $75 fire protection fee, WPSD reports.

Gene Cranick, owner of the now-gutted house in Obion County, says he called 911 and offered to pay whatever it would take to get the firefighters to act, but they said they wouldn't do anything, WPSD reports.

They only responded when it looked as if the fire might spread to the house of a neighbor who had paid the fee.

"I thought they'd come out and put it out, even if you hadn't paid your $75, but I was wrong," Cranick tells the Paducah, Ky., TV station.

Mayor David Crocker says that's just city policy.

"Anybody that's not in the city of South Fulton, it's a service we offer, either they accept it or they don't," Crocker says.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I love this story and the debate it provokes. Long story short Guy doesn't live within the city/town boundaries, he lives out in the middle of nowhere. The city/town he lives closest too offers fire service to this area for a nominal fee of 75 dollars a year. He didn't pay it, his house catches fire, nobody comes to save him because he didnt pay the mandatory fee. Now people are pissed off at the town.

What's the problem???

Discuss

How did I miss this gem of a thread.

First off.

what the ***? is american society really getting that stupid as to deny a simple service of putting your god damn house/life/valuables out of risk by putting out the fire?

I can tell you right now if I was told that I would not be given that kind of service because of a stupid "fee", I would have told the mayor to go shove his *** in a meat grinder.

I'd think there is some kind of law broken by this, or at least ... something?

I know one thing is for sure, i'm never setting foot there, god forbid I need medical attention, I might be denied service!
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-08 14:27:46  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

I'm not saying it's wrong to say that a teacher or a firefighter can be a "hero", but expecting them to be a hero all the time is selfish.

that's true

all the same

without expecting it

i appreciate the teachers who went above and beyond

cops?

i honestly don't appreciate those nearly as much
 Ramuh.Vinvv
By Ramuh.Vinvv 2010-10-08 14:30:59  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

that's true

all the same

without expecting it

cops?

that's because you have expectations of these said cops.
not really a good thing to do.
i'm wary of em....but i'm not like ofuck it's a cop all cops are *** bla bla bla.
i have a few good friends that happen to be police officers sooo :/
 Sylph.Washburn
user: Washburn
By Sylph.Washburn 2010-10-08 14:31:30  
Lakshmi.Ricco said:
Sylph.Washburn said:
Most counties / cities / towns etc, have a mandatory fee that's usually about the same price. This town's failure was making it optional. I'm sure every firefighter there wanted to jump on it, but their chief gets orders from the mayor. Sucks for the people that lost their house, but, what can you expect when you take the cheap way out?

It's a shame, yes, but when you bring home a paycheck, You get taxed by the federal government, Fire service fees dont come out of that, then yo uget taxed by the state, still no fire service fees, ... now at this point youre in 1 of 3 situations:

1. You live in a suburban area that has a fire tax that is NOT optional, you pay it along with your yearly taxes on your house, and if you call 911, you get all services.

2. You live in the sticks that follows either the above or has coverage by way of volunteers who have covered the costs for you by way of fund raisers, grants, donations from other departments etc. OR

3. you have noone in your area willing to volunteer, so you have no fire coverage unless it's extended from the closest service provider who may respond at their disgression.

Your only other option is to call the state's division of forestry and see if they can come plow a line around your house so it dosent spread to the wilderness, which would bring you many frags on deer, rabbits, raccoons, birds, etc etc. Which is obviously more of a loss than a couple of housepets that the owners forgot about when they ran out of their home.

I suppose someone who didnt want to pay the fee could have invested a couple hundred dollars and added a higher powered well pump and a larger diameter hose incase of a fire, that way the $75 they planned on skipping out on would make up for itself in the event of a fire. The advantage to this would be, the fire would actually be out faster. The main issue with rural structure fires is a slower response time, especially if you live in an area with volunteers only. If they decide to get out of bed, it would take 5-10 minutes or more for them to even get to the station, a couple minutes to wait for everyone else, then another ~10 minutes to respond, a couple minutes to set up then spray water, you're looking at a half hour after you noticed your ***burning.

Now, being in the service myself, i know that fire doubles in size every minute (so long as there's efficient fuel load) so, 30 minute response times on a stove fire would still mean your house is on the ground by the time the fire dept gets there. Which may or may not have been a factor in this story. Had it been a mobile home, the tin roof covering a pile of coals would have been all that was left in a rural structure fire.

Post deleted by User.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-10-08 14:33:09  
If you want something you pay for it plain and simple. If you chose not to well don't expect to get it. Everyone has to eat and everyone should get paid for their jobs. Unless of course they do volunteer work and don't want to.

One of my favorite teechers wouldn't have become one cause frankly it don't pay the bills. But well he got in an accident got set for life and decided to do something he loves.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-08 14:34:26  
Ramuh.Vinvv said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ramuh.Vinvv said:

that's true

all the same

without expecting it

cops?

that's because you have expectations of these said cops.
not really a good thing to do.
i'm wary of em....but i'm not like ofuck it's a cop all cops are *** bla bla bla.
i have a few good friends that happen to be police officers sooo :/

ok, this is as stupid as the "don't judge me" mentality

of course i have expectations of those cops

i expect them to pull me over if i'm speeding and try their damnedest to search my car

i expect them to look for a reason to pull me over to search my car because i am a young male in a camaro

those are good expectations to have, they are why i have a radar detector and an awareness of the bill of rights

it's *** stupid NOT to have expectations of people who have a very high probability of behaving in a certain manner

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9