フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Sylph » Small FFXI Rant. - The honest truth
Small FFXI Rant. - The honest truth
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Sylph.Brutality
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Brutality
By Sylph.Brutality 2010-06-12 07:49:46  
Make fun of me all you want, but augments ruined this game. There is so much simplicity in standard RPG's for items that I almost wish it were the same in FFXI. To all the people who whine and complain about wanting more unique-styled items for your characters, please. I say nay to you. At what point do you realize that the game isn't fun anymore if you spend more time researching it then playing?

That's how I feel anyway. If you have an OCD for perfectionism as I do, than FFXI isn't for you, because it simply doesn't exist here (or in that matter, in any MMO from my experiences).

This game boils down to one big math problem if you REALLY take the time to think about it. I wanna play a video game.. not do math.

/em prepares to get flamed by all the "elitist ffxi players"
w(^.^)w //end
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 07:52:32  
first!

[+]
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-12 07:54:02  
neigh to you too!

[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-12 07:57:13  
I'm sorry I have to give my 2 cents here too

[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-12 07:58:29  
That's 4 cents, and you didn't actually add anything... The term "putting your 2 cents in" means to state your opinion on the matter, even when you think it's not really needed.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-12 08:01:20  
seriously? a flying horse?
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 08:01:59  
Odin.Blazza said:
That's 4 cents, and you didn't actually add anything... The term "putting your 2 cents in" means to state your opinion on the matter, even when you think it's not really needed.
dude it's sarcasm.
[+]
 Phoenix.Elanabelle
By Phoenix.Elanabelle 2010-06-12 08:02:25  
Well said, OP, well said.
You will probably get more flames than positive responses for your post, true. But that doesn't mean you aren't right.

The math involved in playing FFXI is useful, but you don't have to obsess over the math to play FFXI well and enjoy the experience.

[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 08:02:50  
You know what ruined this game!

SE.
[+]
 Sylph.Brutality
user: Brutality
By Sylph.Brutality 2010-06-12 08:04:46  
At least someone agrees. It is for that reason that I am still here, Elanabelle. :)
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-12 08:04:55  
Sylph.Brutality said:
Make fun of me all you want, but augments ruined this game. There is so much simplicity in standard RPG's for items that I almost wish it were the same in FFXI. To all the people who whine and complain about wanting more unique-styled items for your characters, please. I say neigh to you. At what point do you realize that the game isn't fun anymore if you spend more time researching it then playing?

That's how I feel anyway. If you have an OCD for perfectionism as I do, than FFXI isn't for you, because it simply doesn't exist here (or in that matter, in any MMO from my experiences).

This game boils down to one big math problem if you REALLY take the time to think about it. I wanna play a video game.. not do math.

w(^.^)w //end

Putting math and algebra aside, I was really against the idea of augmenting every non r/x item, if they kept it limited to the mini expansions bodies that would've been better. SE forgot for a second about the game balance, and added the augmenting items, when they realized that, "Oh snap, let's increase the level cap, maybe we can fix this ***".
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-12 08:06:29  
If you don't want to take the time to number crunch and optimize your gear, that's fine. Just don't throw a hissy when the people who do pay attention to the minute details out-parse you.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 08:07:19  
TBH, I'd love to flame OP right now, but he's completly right. I get so ***stressed making maths on everything I loose patience and get frustrated to the point I retire jobs temp, or stop crafting temp.

Then you have the other pressure, which is the community, because You aren't wearing the same gear of the year you are gimp. Even though you can get it, sometimes you want something different too. Then again people don't understand that kind of stuff and shun you off, so whatever, leaves to an obsessive cycle where no one is happy and we're all at chaos.

NO ONE IS HAPPY EVER ON THIS GAME!
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-12 08:09:10  
I'm plenty pleased with where I'm at right now. Certainly there are some places where I could stand to improve, but for the most part I'm fairly happy with my current position. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be playing.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 08:12:23  
Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie said:
I'm plenty pleased with where I'm at right now. Certainly there are some places where I could stand to improve, but for the most part I'm fairly happy with my current position. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be playing.

Good for you, but I also bet you had to be unhappy at one time to get to that eternal happiness.
 Sylph.Aleya
user: aleckzia
By Sylph.Aleya 2010-06-12 08:14:45  
I'd say a lot more things ruined the game besides augments. They don't really effect me that much tbh. I don't like the system of it, and that you pretty much get stats you don't want more than anything beneficial.

And yea, researching the math behind everything is lame but I guess some people don't mind and even enjoy it. But I hate when those people push it onto others and look down on others who may be doing something different. And by diff I don't really mean /holyshitgimp

I am happy where I am in the game as well. I at least read up about my jobs, and gear up well. I'm just not gonna do any calculations and ***on it lol
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 08:18:14  
When I said unhappy I meant other players like that make you feel unhappy, by looking down on you because you have some other interests. Makes me upset, I pay this game to deal with douche bags sometimes. SO UNFAIR Q.Q

Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-12 08:27:57  
Oh I agree with the OP too, to a certain extent. I mean, I know where he's coming from, but it doesn't really bother me. I've dabbled in a little bit of augmentation when it was new, and seeing that the most beneficial thing I got was +14MP on a flame ring, I decided I really didn't care.

Anyway, the reason I posted that pic was because I was being silly, and commenting on the OP's use of the word neigh instead of nay <_<
 Shiva.Xet
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-12 08:32:10  
Once again i agree with darki, SE made this game none magical. The level increase will be magical....for a bit. The y tried to cater to the low time gamer and wrecked ffxi, 14 is for casual 11 is for hardcore.

It matters not anymore. i still want lvl 99/wbody/homam body so they win.

but at what cost, BUT AT WHAT COST!!!

Edit: answered it: £9.99 a month >.>
 Asura.Calatilla
サーバ: Asura
user: Calatilla
By Asura.Calatilla 2010-06-12 08:32:32  
If you don't want to take the time to number crunch and optimize your gear, that's fine. Just don't throw a hissy when the people who do pay attention to the minute details out-parse you.

The people that dont give 2 shits about the math side of the game are`nt the ones running parser programs
[+]
 Ramuh.Rustytiger
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Rustytiger 2010-06-12 08:33:55  
Math is used just about everywhere in life, though in some cases it is not. So this game does involve a little number crunching, it doesn't mean it's the end of the world. I once saw a calculus formula put into this game on a forum long long ago and I'm like "thehypothinutzwarpfactor9quantumphysics,what?"

The augments can be of some use though if people aren't interested in something in the game such as augments you can always skip it, no harm no foul.

The problem mainly I see with this game really is the player base. I am not pointing fingers here but this is a fact because the majority of players get so over obbessed with looking good and being better than everybody else that just even the slightest offset will cause a flame war and drama.

Case in point, have fun in whatever you enjoy doing on the game. It's your 12 bucks a month, nobody else pays your bills do they?
[+]
 Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-12 08:37:30  
Asura.Calatilla said:

The people that dont give 2 shits about the math side of the game are`nt the ones running parser programs

Agreed yet that math did mean everyone wears the same gear..... just throwing a spanner in
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-12 08:40:38  
Sylph.Brutality said:
Make fun of me all you want, but augments ruined this game. There is so much simplicity in standard RPG's for items that I almost wish it were the same in FFXI. To all the people who whine and complain about wanting more unique-styled items for your characters, please. I say nay to you. At what point do you realize that the game isn't fun anymore if you spend more time researching it then playing?

w(^.^)w //end

You don't have to be elitist to disagree with your point. Fun is subjective, and I have fun researching and playing. And if you have OCD for perfectionism, no online game is for you tbh.

And if you don't want to do the math then fair enough, but don't get pissy when someone calls you up on not having a 6-hit build. Being skilled at this game comes from knowledge as well as play style, and doing the math is part of the knowledge.
[+]
 Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-12 08:42:25  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Sylph.Brutality said:

w(^.^)w //end

You don't have to be elitist to disagree with your point. Fun is subjective, and I have fun researching and playing. And if you have OCD for perfectionism, no online game is for you tbh.

And if you don't want to do the math then fair enough, but don't get pissy when someone calls you up on not having a 6-hit build. Being skilled at this game comes from knowledge as well as play style, and doing the math is part of the knowledge.

letting someone else do my math is part of my play style....
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-12 08:45:13  
Shiva.Xet said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
Sylph.Brutality said:

w(^.^)w //end

letting someone else do my math is part of my play style....

You've never researched something alone?
 Valefor.Sketchkat
サーバ: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-06-12 08:47:41  
It takes the "fantasy" out of Final Fantasy, in my opinion. To quote myself from a few months ago:
"I don't recall Aragorn pulling out a pocket calculator and checking the agro distance of the cave troll in Moria, or parsing his damage against Boromir's. I guess it sounds a bit silly, but I like that sense of adventure. Too bad PC mmo's always get picked apart like that".

[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-12 08:49:17  
I like the adventure too.

But that doesn't stop intelligent gear choices being viable, After all Aragorn used a sword not an umbrella.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-06-12 08:51:16  
Augments ruined game by adding more math?

Shiva.Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-12 08:51:31  
ofc i do stuff alone, i do it on blm alot but for things like drg when i was mage retared i relied on others in the same way if you lvl'd pld you may ask me for advise.
 Ramuh.Rustytiger
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Rustytiger 2010-06-12 08:52:11  
@Sketchkat

Very true. As a joke towards an old LS member who was a "Gearwhore", he would go on and on about how superior he was and I said to him "yea ok, so basically if this was real time by the time you change your clothes/gear around you'd be dead from Kirin, laying butt in the air with nothing but boxers on", lol He was silent after that :-P

People take things way too seriously about the game, really.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5