New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Sylph » Small FFXI Rant. - The honest truth
Small FFXI Rant. - The honest truth
 Caitsith.Silvaria
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Silvaria 2010-06-13 00:30:18  
Augments didn't ruin the game for me, I just don't worry about it. I research the jobs I play, I try to get the best gear I can without stressing over it, and I stick with a lot of LS pts so I don't have to worry about elitist jerks whose main purpose in life seems to be out-gearing everyone else and then gloating about it.

It works for me. 8)
[+]
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-13 00:48:56  
I really don't get where the OP is going with this one.

In any and all games there is a best way to do everything. I am not one of those individuals that makes it my priority to figure that out before anyone else, so most times after reading up on something and then double checking I can figure out what works best.

The only time I have found myself doing math is when I have a hunch that one way of doing something might be better than another, but most times the research is already done.
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-13 00:49:58  
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
I was really against the idea of augmenting every non r/x item, if they kept it limited to the mini expansions bodies that would've been better. SE forgot for a second about the game balance, and added the augmenting items, when they realized that, "Oh snap, let's increase the level cap, maybe we can fix this ***".

That's why you think they're raising the level cap?

No, but SE finally admitted that the game need more balance. and augments was one of the *** ups.

Three letters: SAM
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-13 01:44:13  
I for one actually enjoyed utilizing brain function to play FFXI and be decent at it. Unlike some other MMOs >.>
[+]
 Leviathan.Dubont
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-13 02:02:35  
I agree with the OP...to an extent. This game IS one big math problem and that does frustrate me when I have a SAM in my merit pty that *** at me b/c according to his parser, my DRK is second in party dmg% (under him) b/c I don't have Adaman Hauberk, all 3 pieces of homam, apoc etc etc.

HOWEVER, I find it VERY frustrating for people to not give a rats *** about ANY advice involving the game. I'm sorry, but if you are lv 75...in full AF...in any endgame event, I am 1)going to ask if you have any better gear. 2) request gear for you 3) offer to help you aquire said gear 4) If you still do not comply, I will kick/blist you.

This game should be fun and whether or not someone is worth you time should not depend on their gear choice unless of course their choice is outrageous (blm using a INT scythe instead of elemental staves....)

As far as augments..I haven't seen many augments that I want. I want the ToM scythe and the ToM gun for Quickdraw...everything else (+1 int! +14mp! +2fire resist!) are far from worth the effort needed to aquire said item. Augments don't make or break this game just like relic/mythics don't make or break this game. Will they make your character stronger? Yes. Will they make you a better player? No.
 Asura.Xavtaru
サーバ: Asura
user: wxtomas
By Asura.Xavtaru 2010-06-13 02:47:26  
Sylph.Brutality said:
Make fun of me all you want, but augments ruined this game. There is so much simplicity in standard RPG's for items that I almost wish it were the same in FFXI. To all the people who whine and complain about wanting more unique-styled items for your characters, please. I say nay to you. At what point do you realize that the game isn't fun anymore if you spend more time researching it then playing?

That's how I feel anyway. If you have an OCD for perfectionism as I do, than FFXI isn't for you, because it simply doesn't exist here (or in that matter, in any MMO from my experiences).

This game boils down to one big math problem if you REALLY take the time to think about it. I wanna play a video game.. not do math.

/em prepares to get flamed by all the "elitist ffxi players"
w(^.^)w //end

Clearly this is the truth because it says so in the title.

I'm not sure how you can claim to be an OCD perfectionist while hating math. You can't possibly do anything in the pursuit of perfection without having to do math in almost any MMORPG.

Honestly, if you don't like math, this isn't the genre for you. Any MMORPG with the slightest hint of traditional character statistical growth will require you to do some math. Math dictates every aspect of every action taken in combat. Recast timers, TP, MP, HP, damage, healing, and many, many more factors involve math.

Whether or not you choose to understand this is up to you.

If you want to be the perfect player, you have to do more than just bumble through the game and take your experiences as the ultimate truth. Until you have tried and analyzed every possibility, you have to keep trying new things. You have to understand every aspect of the game. This includes math.

I don't believe that every person out there has to attain perfection. In fact, I don't think there's anything wrong with being complacent with average. However, you can't claim to want to be good at something while ignoring and shunning clear evidence as to what "the best" is in a game.

This is the bottom line, right here:

If you choose to be ignorant about how the game works, you can think you're good, but you can't know if you really are.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-06-13 03:00:49  
Not going to weigh into the argument too deeply, but I will point out that you can be the "perfect" example of your particular class mathematically, with the best armor, the best stats, the best spell/skill/etc choices, the best timing, etc, and still...not be the best.

Because nobody accomplishes anything in this game alone.

If you're a raging *** or otherwise lack the skills to interact well with others, plan strategically, organize people, or work well inter-personally, you will always be operating at less than peak efficiency over time.

A sub-perfect, but still "good" player who works well in a group will, over time, always be more valuable than a perfect player who can't.
[+]
 Fairy.Ghaleon
サーバ: Fairy
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-13 03:16:02  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Not going to weigh into the argument too deeply, but I will point out that you can be the "perfect" example of your particular class mathematically, with the best armor, the best stats, the best spell/skill/etc choices, the best timing, etc, and still...not be the best.

Because nobody accomplishes anything in this game alone.

If you're a raging *** or otherwise lack the skills to interact well with others, plan strategically, organize people, or work well inter-personally, you will always be operating at less than peak efficiency over time.

A sub-perfect, but still "good" player who works well in a group will, over time, always be more valuable than a perfect player who can't.

this, if you need an example, just look at all the relic players who suck, or vice versa, all the elite players who can't plan strategically, or work well with others.

alot more to this game than math, it just doesn't feel like it sometimes.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-06-13 03:18:06  
oh god have I seen some bad players with relics....ugh lol
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-13 03:22:14  
I think what matters most is one's character. And I don't mean the toon that is played. Good gear, great timing and skill is great and all but honestly what good is all that in a community of millions when you stand around thousands who can't stand you?
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-13 03:55:39  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
I think what matters most is one's character. And I don't mean the toon that is played. Good gear, great timing and skill is great and all but honestly what good is all that in a community of millions when you stand around thousands who can't stand you?

Makes me wonder about the people that have horrible reputation and also ninja lot items/steal gear etc.
What's the point on having those ninja hands, or that askar piece, when eventually your dirty reputation for stealing your items will lead you to an empty hole playing alone.
[+]
 Shiva.Weewoo
By Shiva.Weewoo 2010-06-13 03:56:20  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

Makes me wonder about the people that have horrible reputation and also ninja lot items/steal gear etc.
What's the point on having those ninja hands, or that askar piece, when eventually your dirty reputation for stealing your items will lead you to an empty hole playing alone.

I suppose there's always BST >.> lol
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-13 03:59:36  
Shiva.Weewoo said:
Phoenix.Darki said:
Shiva.Weewoo said:

I suppose there's always BST >.> lol

besides, does it feel good knowing you obtained those thief hands by stealing? That you never worked for them? in a couple years the item wont matter itself, but your behaviour will, because it's somethng that wont change in you, and you will get used to doing those kinds of things to other people, MMO or RL if you havent already gotten used to being that kind of person...to me that's pretty crappy, if anything, work on yourself personaly before anything ...
[+]
 Sylph.Jax
サーバ: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2010-06-13 04:18:55  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
oh god have I seen some bad players with relics....ugh lol

they probably bought the account (^-^)b
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-13 04:25:25  
@Darki, some people just play games for all the wrong reasons. They play it to acquire virtual wealth and lord over others how pimp they are. Like the people who /ragequit, throw all their r/e gear then post a screenshot, it's all just one big e-peen contest to a lot of people.
 Ifrit.Keeria
user: Keeria
By Ifrit.Keeria 2010-06-13 05:06:03  
If you're not having fun in this game, I'm sorry but you seem to be doing it wrong. Do what works for you, try to be considerate of others, and generally have a good time. Problem solved. E-peen contests are childish at best; those are the players to ignore. Who cares what they have once you know why they obtained it?
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-13 06:34:28  
I don't. I don't care what people have regardless of their motives or methods for acquiring them. It's just when they act dishonourably and steal drops they didn't deserve off people that worked hard for them that it effects me.

It's like that with any game though really. Back in the days of goldeneye 64, me and my family/friends used to play that thing to death and love every minute of it. Eventually though, it became no fun for anyone to play against me 1/1 because I'd memorised the order of the spawn points in just about every map. This meant they'd be alive for no more than about 5 seconds at best after respawning. This wasn't technically cheating, but it sure as hell wasn't playing honourably, and totally changed/ruined the game for those I was playing against.

Although, the upside to that was that when it was a 4 person game with no teams, they'd all gang up on me, which they found a lot more fun. But it also meant I had an endless supply of targets and made me win even more <_<
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-06-13 07:31:05  
Sad to say but reputation does not mean much in general. The people who do things like steal, can always just change their name. And it is not very hard to do. So building a bad rep can be solved very easily thus giving said person a clean slate. It being the interwebz means it will always be anonymous so long as screen names can be altered it might as well be someone new to you and thus you get people who are total *** who can still easily keep playing and getting whatever they want and they will continue to get away with it.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-13 08:04:45  
If people can play the game well, I couldn't care less about the equipment they have.
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-06-13 08:46:05  
I like augmenting even though I've never got anything decent, yet. From my opinion it gives me something else to do with my time to potentially get something on a piece of armor which makes it different to all the other people with the exact same gear on as me blah blah blah. Augmenting is the best thing for customization.

The maths aspect is everywhere, it just depends on how you approach it. When I first started the game I had absolutely no idea about the maths but of course common sense tells you what attributes do. From reading things in the LS I was made to understand that accuracy caps @95% so from there whenever I fought mobs I'd always check my accuracy via the chat log (no idea what a parser was) to see if the hit/miss ratio was close to 1/20. Once I was 1/20 misses I knew I could wear another piece of damage enhancing equipment instead of accuracy, such as ATK,STR or Haste in later levels as I can get it in larger numbers, and then check again to see if I was still 1/20. Now I have a greater understanding of it all and I can really go to town on my setups (which is my own choice and I enjoy doing it).

Simple math!

I don't know how a game like this would work if they abolished the math aspect of it all, but probably not very well considering the vast amount of equipment available.

Asura.Tero
user: Tero
By Asura.Tero 2010-06-13 10:16:08  
why don't we all just stop bitching already -.- if your fed up with mmorpgs then quit playing them and stop complaining this is just a game after all if you hate it why do you play AND PAY for it its your own choice lol noone is forcing you to play it.
[+]
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-13 10:19:35  
Shiva.Darkshade said:
Hey guys it's time again for SUCK MY SOUR ***.

You heard it right, it's time again for pages and pages of threads consisting of people sucking on my ***, but complaining that my *** milk is sour.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

They will also ask why my ***'s haven't learned to produce the particular type of milk that they want, and complain, ALL WHILE STILL SUCKING MY ***.

YOU HEARD ME RIGHT.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Darkshade
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-06-13 11:09:06  
OP is asspained because after getting -7 ACC on his Toreador's Ring he had to put his cardboard box up for sale to continue playing.

You can live with me OP.
 Asura.Nadie
user: nadie777
By Asura.Nadie 2010-06-13 11:23:43  
Valefor.Sketchkat said:
It takes the "fantasy" out of Final Fantasy, in my opinion. To quote myself from a few months ago:
"I don't recall Aragorn pulling out a pocket calculator and checking the agro distance of the cave troll in Moria, or parsing his damage against Boromir's. I guess it sounds a bit silly, but I like that sense of adventure. Too bad PC mmo's always get picked apart like that".

this is by far the best reply i have read in the past 7 years or so for any ffxi thread
 Leviathan.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-06-13 11:25:31  
Shiva.Darkshade said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:

You heard it right, it's time again for pages and pages of threads consisting of people sucking on my ***, but complaining that my *** milk is sour.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

They will also ask why my ***'s haven't learned to produce the particular type of milk that they want, and complain, ALL WHILE STILL SUCKING MY ***.

YOU HEARD ME RIGHT.
I lol'd so hard my neighbor called to see if I was ok...
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2010-06-13 11:25:34  
Shiva.Darkshade said:
Shiva.Darkshade said:

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

YOU HEARD ME RIGHT.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-06-13 12:08:58  
IF you talking about augments from VoS or sky, they certainly did not ruin anything. Augments with FoV are a huge gamble. I look at it more like it's something for the people who love to gamble to mess around with.

They are so random, nothing is guaranteed. I've done a bunch of them and nothing too spectacular, just minor tweaks I'd say. Even had to toss a few items out.
 Fenrir.Shindo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Shindo
By Fenrir.Shindo 2010-06-13 12:39:18  
Well I was gonna come in and say something, but I can see Jaerik's already posted.
By Zekko 2010-06-13 12:54:20  
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ