users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Sylph » Small FFXI Rant. - The honest truth
Small FFXI Rant. - The honest truth
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-12 08:53:44  
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
I was really against the idea of augmenting every non r/x item, if they kept it limited to the mini expansions bodies that would've been better. SE forgot for a second about the game balance, and added the augmenting items, when they realized that, "Oh snap, let's increase the level cap, maybe we can fix this ***".

That's why you think they're raising the level cap?
 Leviathan.Revgrigor
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Revgrigor
By Leviathan.Revgrigor 2010-06-12 08:53:47  
Well the fact is that all rpgs end up this way. Have you never played an rpg and completely abused the rules to your advantage? All the elitists are doing with their math is trying to be the best possible. I mean what the hell else is there to do after a game has been out so long? If your bored with the community then take a break and play another game possibly a newer one where there isnt such an judgmental community.
[+]
 Valefor.Sketchkat
サーバ: Valefor
user: sketchkat
By Valefor.Sketchkat 2010-06-12 08:54:52  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I like the adventure too.

But that doesn't stop intelligent gear choices being viable, After all Aragorn used a sword not an umbrella.

Lol, touche. But you see the point I'm making, right? It sucks a lot of fun out of it when someone spends 20 minutes calculating that Gear X performs 1.7% better than Gear Y over the course of a 4 hour merit party.

Edit: I like Rusty's story, lol. Funny, and it makes a good point.
[+]
 Shiva.Xet
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xet
By Shiva.Xet 2010-06-12 08:56:33  
My pimp *** merited drg got beat by 0.4% on a parse by a ares/homam drg.

Sometime ***happens
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-12 09:06:44  
I see your point totally Sketchkat, I personally don't care about my gear choices at all, but I do like to think I use intelligent gear choices... like using haste and accuracy > atk and str on a mnk for example. You use the choices that are intelligent, but still have fun making those choices and having individuality with it. ^^

I like the adventure of FFXI too, I really yearn for when I started and I didn't know anything, it's the reason I'm looking forward to FFXIV so much!

And tbh I use gear I like over gear that is the 'Best'.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 09:14:23  
Shiva.Xet said:
Once again i agree with darki, SE made this game none magical. The level increase will be magical....for a bit. The y tried to cater to the low time gamer and wrecked ffxi, 14 is for casual 11 is for hardcore.

It matters not anymore. i still want lvl 99/wbody/homam body so they win.

but at what cost, BUT AT WHAT COST!!!

Edit: answered it: £9.99 a month >.>

9.99 a month and 100hours of gameplay a month.
I hope they make this game less of a pain on the *** to play with the caps, to make it more magical you know, instead of everything being such a headache and frustration sometimes. Not like everything is, and I'm not asking for the game to get uberly nerfed and easy, but i think a little smoother gameplay would be way more fun than getting to the point where you are doing things and frustrated.

They have though, in the past 2 years improoved the game fairly nice and smoothly, a little nerfing here and there, level sync made noobs, stay noobs forever, but also helped the vets level faster.

though I'm not really willing to play this game after dec if the game turns into a grindfest. heh, would just be like retracing the game a couple years back.

ehh and let's see what they do with gears, think if they release some kickass pieces people will be mad they spent a lot of time getting the gear they already have. I hope though, nothing stupidly impossible to go through so you can actually get them.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 09:17:25  
Leviathan.Revgrigor said:
Well the fact is that all rpgs end up this way. Have you never played an rpg and completely abused the rules to your advantage? All the elitists are doing with their math is trying to be the best possible. I mean what the hell else is there to do after a game has been out so long? If your bored with the community then take a break and play another game possibly a newer one where there isnt such an judgmental community.

lulz at the 'play another game' card. That argument fails, for the fact that on every MMO community there is this same ***, and even if for some magical reason the community was different in another MMO, the game isn't the same as FFXI, some people want to play FFXI because of the gameplay you know, not because of the community, but the community's pressure stops them from enjoying the game overall.
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 09:19:27  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:
I was really against the idea of augmenting every non r/x item, if they kept it limited to the mini expansions bodies that would've been better. SE forgot for a second about the game balance, and added the augmenting items, when they realized that, "Oh snap, let's increase the level cap, maybe we can fix this ***".

aug's never overpowered anything .... they just seem like a little bonus to whatever gear you have, nothing life changing to be honest. and that's saying if you actually get lucky on Aug's.

SE already cleared why they are raising level cap, it's for the players that have already done many things in game to have more things to look forward to.
 Bismarck.Ankiseth
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Darkfire
By Bismarck.Ankiseth 2010-06-12 09:20:14  
I'm personally hoping the gear they let us upgrade through magian trials lets us have some customization. Kinda like how the weapon trials split into trees and let you build the item that suits you best.

Clearly it'll turn into a math-frenzy to find the most beneficial stats-per-piece, much as everything does but at least then if better gear comes out you can magian trial your old gear to fit certain situational niches and not let it all go to the floor of your mh.
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-12 09:23:32  
Sylph.Brutality said:
Make fun of me all you want, but augments ruined this game. There is so much simplicity in standard RPG's for items that I almost wish it were the same in FFXI. To all the people who whine and complain about wanting more unique-styled items for your characters, please. I say nay to you. At what point do you realize that the game isn't fun anymore if you spend more time researching it then playing?

That's how I feel anyway. If you have an OCD for perfectionism as I do, than FFXI isn't for you, because it simply doesn't exist here (or in that matter, in any MMO from my experiences).

This game boils down to one big math problem if you REALLY take the time to think about it. I wanna play a video game.. not do math.

/em prepares to get flamed by all the "elitist ffxi players"
w(^.^)w //end

I totally agree too, luckily I am a DGAF gamer who plays only for fun. If I want to be the best, I will go fap, because nobody can match my prowess there, and frankly, it's much less effort for significantly greater reward.

If you have OCD Perfectionism, RPG's in general aren't for you, I've seen just as many elitist *** about "Best builds" for ***like Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout, hell Even Mass Effect 2, a game that straddles the action side of Action RPG like it hungers for a hot dicking.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-12 09:24:20  
Phoenix.Darki said:
some people want to play FFXI because of the gameplay you know, not because of the community, but the community's pressure stops them from enjoying the game overall.

It would be pretty ignorant to not consider the community at the same time. Sure you can play FFXI without ever caring what people think/want, but you'll be playing it alone. You wouldn't appreciate some guy killing all your XP mobs because he's enjoying the gameplay. It's the same logic. A community based game requires players to acknowledge the community's requirements or to stay out of their way for the most part.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-12 09:25:01  
Phoenix.Darki said:
Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie said:
I'm plenty pleased with where I'm at right now. Certainly there are some places where I could stand to improve, but for the most part I'm fairly happy with my current position. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be playing.

Good for you, but I also bet you had to be unhappy at one time to get to that eternal happiness.
If I ever experienced unhappiness more significant than a brief bout of disappointment when an item I wanted failed to drop or something equally insignificant, I stopped playing FFXI.

If you really feel like you have to endure unhappiness in a game to enjoy it, I'd say you're doing something very wrong.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 09:27:46  
Odin.Zicdeh said:

I totally agree too, luckily I am a DGAF gamer who plays only for fun. If I want to be the best, I will go fap, because nobody can match my prowess there, and frankly, it's much less effort for significantly greater reward.

If you have OCD Perfectionism, RPG's in general aren't for you, I've seen just as many elitist *** about "Best builds" for ***like Dragon Age, Oblivion, Fallout, hell Even Mass Effect 2, a game that straddles the action side of Action RPG like it hungers for a hot dicking.

Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 09:29:41  
Phoenix.Darki said:
I'm plenty pleased with where I'm at right now. Certainly there are some places where I could stand to improve, but for the most part I'm fairly happy with my current position. If I wasn't, I wouldn't be playing.

Good for you, but I also bet you had to be unhappy at one time to get to that eternal happiness.
If I ever experienced unhappiness more significant than a brief bout of disappointment when an item I wanted failed to drop or something equally insignificant, I stopped playing FFXI.

If you really feel like you have to endure unhappiness in a game to enjoy it, I'd say you're doing something very wrong.

perhaphs I'm not the one doing something wrong when some gear gets stolen from me when I've been waiting .... ages to get it? I experience extreme unhappiness, nothing life changing. and yes i've quit before because of feeling frustration, big deal, i get over it and keep playing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-12 09:37:30  
Phoenix.Darki said:
perhaphs I'm not the one doing something wrong when some gear gets stolen from me when I've been waiting .... ages to get it? I experience extreme unhappiness, nothing life changing. and yes i've quit before because of feeling frustration, big deal, i get over it and keep playing.
You're only doing something wrong if you let those kinds of shitty experiences dictate the totality of your experience; as long as you can shrug off the bad times, what problem is there? And if you can shrug off being unhappy, why bring up people being unhappy because of pressure from other players in the first place?

Then again, I have a fairly relaxed opinion about things in FFXI. If you want to be original and deviate from what the community has determined to be "optimal" in favor of something that will make you happier, go for it. You pay your $12.95 a month; do whatever the hell you like (full time hachiman domaru for all I care). If someone wants to be an elitist *** and give you ***for 'em, /blist and move on.

Just keep in mind, everyone else pays their $12.95 each month and they'll do whatever they damn well please, which may include not playing with you. (Note that's a general "you," not referring specifically to Darki.)
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-12 09:47:27  
Phoenix.Darki said:
You're only doing something wrong if you let those kinds of shitty experiences dictate the totality of your experience; as long as you can shrug off the bad times, what problem is there? And if you can shrug off being unhappy, why bring up people being unhappy because of pressure from other players in the first place?

Then again, I have a fairly relaxed opinion about things in FFXI. If you want to be original and deviate from what the community has determined to be "optimal" in favor of something that will make you happier, go for it. You pay your $12.95 a month; do whatever the hell you like (full time hachiman domaru for all I care). If someone wants to be an elitist *** and give you ***for 'em, /blist and move on.

Just keep in mind, everyone else pays their $12.95 each month and they'll do whatever they damn well please, which may include not playing with you. (Note that's a general "you," not referring specifically to Darki.)

Ah well I guess I'm not as good as shrugging off things easily am I? I get over it eventually and keep playing, it's the way I approach the game. it doesn't harm anyone.

I bring up the subject of people also being unhappy thanks to others lack of consideration because I've seen it happen many times to the people around me as well, and I'm pretty sure a lot of people agree on that in here, if you don't then cool, you have another point of view, so o.ob cool man.

Cerberus.Altimaomega
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Altimaomega 2010-06-12 22:31:53  
Valefor.Sketchkat said:
It takes the "fantasy" out of Final Fantasy, in my opinion. To quote myself from a few months ago:
"I don't recall Aragorn pulling out a pocket calculator and checking the agro distance of the cave troll in Moria, or parsing his damage against Boromir's. I guess it sounds a bit silly, but I like that sense of adventure. Too bad PC mmo's always get picked apart like that".

I had to log in and comment on this, cause i thought of something really funny!

im not a huge an of lotr so i dunno all the names but! im sure at some point they all took cover "got out of aggro range" from those flying things in the sky..

also i remeber when aragorn and gimili where calling out "parse'ing" each of their kills!!!

and last of all, there's always that awesome weapon/armor that they are trying to get..

all in all, u can only do so much with a fantasy game to TRY and make it as real as possible. as much as i hate to say it MATH >< is about the only way to do this ; ;
 Fenrir.Mtmoogle
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Bogamoga
By Fenrir.Mtmoogle 2010-06-12 22:40:29  
There are better applications of math then useing it to parse .6% higher than the next guy in your meritpo. Just saying and why so serious?
 Fairy.Specopsz
サーバ: Fairy
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-06-12 22:40:46  
Besides of all the flaming.
He has a good point.
 Fairy.Ghaleon
user: MisterRyu
By Fairy.Ghaleon 2010-06-12 22:46:37  
oshi, sup brut~ o/
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-06-12 22:48:23  
Fairy.Specopsz said:
He has a good point.

what is his point? that doing math in a game automatically makes a game unfun? who appointed him the ultimate judge of what's fun and what isn't?

he says that at its root, the game is one big math problem. so it is. that's supposed to make it unfun? guess what? there are some people who really enjoy doing math.
[+]
 Ifrit.Airius
user: Airius
By Ifrit.Airius 2010-06-12 22:51:56  
I enjoy doing math
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-06-12 23:01:34  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Fairy.Specopsz said:
He has a good point.

what is his point? that doing math in a game automatically makes a game unfun? who appointed him the ultimate judge of what's fun and what isn't?

he says that at its root, the game is one big math problem. so it is. that's supposed to make it unfun? guess what? there are some people who really enjoy doing math.

Calculusfantasy XI
[+]
By Firewind 2010-06-12 23:03:11  
Phoenix.Darki said:
NO ONE IS HAPPY EVER ON THIS GAME!

I used to be happy, then salvage was released.
[+]
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-06-12 23:04:10  
Firewind said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

I use to be happy until troll's infested all over Vana'diel.
 Cerberus.Altimaomega
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Altimaomega 2010-06-12 23:09:05  
Fairy.Specopsz said:
Firewind said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

lets go merit on some trolls!
 Fairy.Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-06-12 23:23:59  
Cerberus.Altimaomega said:
Fairy.Specopsz said:
Firewind said:
Phoenix.Darki said:

lets go merit on some trolls!

*Screams like a viking!*
 Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn
By Quetzalcoatl.Brayenn 2010-06-12 23:43:25  
Not sure what this is all about but most of this "math" is already been done for the most part, all you have to do is apply it to what you are doing, so not much math.

This magical thing that has been mentioned a few times is another thing that just won't happen. Unless you are going to force a full out role playing linkshell..then maybe it will work? *shrug* In the end, in the "magical" world you guys speak of, do you not seek out the better gear? I know i take the time to upgrade in any RPG i see it being no different here.

As for optimizing, i don't know about other people but does no one enjoy the competition? Just like any sport you want to win right? I LOVE when i get into a pt where i got 2 other melee who are rdy to bust out their best game and give me a run for my money, if i lose next time around i will try to do even better and maybe change something i might not of done. I need not mention how that changes when your stuck with someone who seems to be playing with their *** and generally doing nothing and just holding the group back from exp or the NM or w/e. A quote i like is "it is your 12.95 but it is our 12.95*numberOfPlayers" thats some serious math right there :P

Trying to stick to what the OP said, im not sure what augments have to do with it? If anything ruined the game is the lack of motivation to try by real gimps ( gimp meaning people who can't even bother to find what the baseline of cheap good AH gear is...this is anyone who is TPing in full str gear for example and refuses to care to improve). I can accept being poor or not doing endgame, hell, i can even try to help someone out on what to use, but show up in full AF and tell me you don't care, then why should i care about your place in whatever event we are in? i would lovingly say to gtfo at the said time.

That is my 2 quarters(types too much so its bigger then a cent) :X (bleh i typed too much)
[+]
 Phoenix.Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-06-13 00:02:41  
I LIKE DOING THE MATH ON GILZ I GET <3 That's fun: D
 Ragnarok.Vitaru
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Vite
By Ragnarok.Vitaru 2010-06-13 00:11:59  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Ragnarok.Vitaru said:

No, but SE finally admitted that the game need more balance. and augments was one of the *** ups.