言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » If you use a DPS meter don't post the logs
If you use a DPS meter don't post the logs
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
By RadialArcana 2020-09-11 09:37:24  
I'm seeing this more and more in random parties lately and the people doing it don't seem to get why it sucks.

I was in an alliance a few days ago, (I was on whm) and everyone was having fun and just killing stuff, it went well and we finished the run just fine. Then at the end one guy posted the DPS meter printout in party chat (he was top of course, he would not of posted it if it said anything else). Suddenly, everyone was defensive and it totally soured the group that was really laid back and fun before that. Everyone that was joking around and would of had nice things to say upon leaving now was making excuses as to why they were not top 3 and just left without saying goodbye etc.

The reason doing this sucks is A) you aren't telling people at the start you are logging it, so they aren't putting effort into doing damage but you are B) going full hardcore damage mode like a brainless baboon to top the chart isn't a good thing, you can often cause wipes or become a cure sponge C) you're trying to make yourself look good at the expense of everyone else.

Don't post it (if you use it) in random groups, it's not a good thing and you will annoy people.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 10:13:35  
Better yet, don't post parses in rando groups period.

A) You aren't in the best of groups 99% of the time.
B) You don't know these people, some may be "offended" and report you to the non-existent GMs for using third party tools.
C) There is such a thing as "parse-loading" where you spend an hour or two soloing by yourself on a high-damage DD job using non-combat buffing trusts (such as Ulmia and Koru) just so you can show to some rando people how "uber" your non-mastered, non REMA DNC is against REMA jobs. It's petty and it's bull.

Parses are there to help you improve yourself, but people use it to stroke their non-existent e-peens.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2020-09-11 10:17:04  
Glad i'm not the only one who doesn't like it. I tend to find the parser only care when they are on top. God forbid they place second or third then suddenly parse doesn't matter anymore.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 10:18:10  
oh this friday has potential....
[+]
By Drayco 2020-09-11 10:20:08  
I don't agree with this at all. Parses are not negative or positive, they are simply math.

I've posted plenty of parses where I wasn't on top. It usually sparks conversations with people about gear sets and output.

It's all how people go about posting it. If I post a parse where me and another person are on the same job, but one of us has -50% output... It's a good opportunity to learn something. If somebody posts a parse followed by a bunch of "you guys suck" or "get good"... well it's not the parse making people angry is it?
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 10:20:51  
Drayco said: »
Parses are not negative or positive, they are simply math.
It's not the parses themselves that are negative/positive, it is how it is used and perceived.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 10:25:58  
I don't agree with this at all. Parses are not negative or positive, they are simply math.

I've posted plenty of parses where I wasn't on top. It usually sparks conversations with people about gear sets and output.

It's all how people go about posting it. If I post a parse where me and another person are on the same job, but one of us has -50% output... It's a good opportunity to learn something. If somebody posts a parse followed by a bunch of "you guys suck" or "get good"... well it's not the parse making people angry is it?

Exactly. It just boils down to knowing your audience. I do tend to view someone posting a parse after a pickup ambuscade run to a be a little self-serving, but the group I run with uses parsing as a measure (inside shell events) to see how the balance of damage is,etc- not to crown a champion.

Sure, its fun to brag, we all do it at times. Just know the audience and whether its appropriate.

In terms of being "offended" by someone posting a parse in a PUG- just let them have their moment and realize it means zero. Just be the parent who smiles and nods when your children bring you "breakfast in bed" of cheerios with ketchup. Oh how cute, they tried.
[+]
 Shiva.Eightball
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Eightball 2020-09-11 10:27:49  
Unless people are asking for it I would say posting the damage parse is not necessary, I will however usually post the acc report after a few mins/runs of w/e a group is doing to show any needed buff changes.
[+]
By Noscrilla 2020-09-11 10:31:24  

You spelled git gud wrong
[+]
By Shichishito 2020-09-11 10:39:22  
Shiva.Eightball said: »
Unless people are asking for it I would say posting the damage parse is not necessary, I will however usually post the acc report after a few mins/runs of w/e a group is doing to show any needed buff changes.
this is the primary use of a parser outside of e-peen. and if you see a single person not hitting acc cap you don't even need to post the parse, just send him a polite tell with a heads up.

if i'm on any sort of support and have someone in party who is known to post the parse for e-peen sake i like to have my fun with them so he suddenly drops very low on my priority list.
got bound? awww snap, just can't find my erase macro. guess little timmy gets a time out.
[+]
By RadialArcana 2020-09-11 10:43:07  
Every time I see it posted, the person posting it is top and it always ends with at least 1-2 people getting mad. I'm 100% talking about random groups here btw, not friends.

I've had groups fall apart because people left and logged out when the parse poster said he was leaving and dropped his parse results just before.

Yes, not everyone is as good as you. No they don't need to know they are putting in 10% damage compared to your 24%, no they won't think this is a learning moment and instead they will feel as if you're trying to humiliate them (you are).
 Lakshmi.Rooks
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Rooks
By Lakshmi.Rooks 2020-09-11 10:43:41  
I don't think anyone is suggesting not to use them with people you know; but total randos? If anything you shouldn't share them just for your own protection, as KN points out.

I loved parses and would ask for them when I wasn't parsing myself, but not everyone does, and I think you're setting yourself up for trouble if you just toss them at whatever warm body answered a shout.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 10:48:16  
I'd agree, I guess my issue more lies with those who get upset by posted parses in such situations. I mean, we all know what that person posting a parse in a pickup is doing- it isn't meant to be constructive. So no need to get in a tizzy about it, just let them think that winning a parse on a pickup groups Vol.1 Normal run means something, and keep truckin. Its just not worth getting butthurt about.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-11 10:49:56  
I have never grouped with anyone who actually got mad at parse results lmao, wow you guys must be playing with some super defensive people.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 10:50:10  
My shell generally posts parses for dynamis events, especially Wave 3.

We do the trifecta (damage, accuracy, and WS damage average). I always know my WS damage is generally #8, even though I'm averaging around #3 or #4 in total DPS. I know why too, my WS set isn't the best yet (I still need to +3 my WAR body, +2/+3 my WAR relic head, and maybe change a few more gears after I get those upgraded). I also need to keep Berserk up as close to full time as possible.

Like I said, I use it for improvement purposes. I don't care if people see it as a competition (we hardly ever have the same people come as the same jobs every time, and I'm honestly only coming as WAR lately to get RP for my +2 neck, and once that's done, it's back to full-time COR/WHM/BRD for me....).

That's not the point of the parse for me.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 10:51:15  
the real hidden gem in the "WSavg" parse results is WS frequency in my book.
[+]
 Bahamut.Viers
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Vires
By Bahamut.Viers 2020-09-11 10:53:00  
I definitely think parses have their place as a tool to check DPS damage output, but it needs to be used in the right context. Its really the only good way to verify accuracy requirements are being met by all members of your group or shell, and then spark discussion on gear set adjustments. The main point being to improve your groups performance and make your group stronger overall for all content.

When used in a random party for funsies, its more often then not perceived as showing off and many randoms arent open to unsolicited advice because they dont know you, so even if your intentions are pure it will fall on deaf ears.

We all know though, whats the point of playing big *** dps if you cant whip it out and show everyone after??
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 10:53:39  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
I guess that depends on the event imo.

It's much harder to WS in dynamis than it does in Omen, especially if you are one of two/three DDs who are whacking on the boss.

But I guess that's true for everyone in dynamis.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-09-11 10:55:37  
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 10:57:00  
Bahamut.Viers said: »
When used in a random party for funsies, its more often then not perceived as showing off and many randoms arent open to unsolicited advice because they dont know you, so even if your intentions are pure it will fall on deaf ears.
There lies the rub.

Not many randos out there are looking for improvement. Most players you would group up in a rando situation, such as Ambu or CP, aren't there to be the "best" but to get whatever the event gives (such as points for gil/items in Ambu, or JPs).

If you join a shout Dynamis, you will always have a bad time, as that event isn't suited for random people to group up with (i.e. drops, clears, sellable items, etc.)
[+]
 Asura.Dibble
user: Dibble
By Asura.Dibble 2020-09-11 10:59:22  
It's a good opportunity to learn something.
I 100% agree... if you're running the parser, and YOU parse 50% below the same job. By all means, ask that person for tips.

Anything else is masturbation or passive-aggressive ***.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-11 11:04:03  
I’d say 80% of the time I parse outside of Dyn, it’s because me and my friends are trying being competitive and I think that is just as valid. Shaming a rando is one thing, trolling your friends and calling them trash because you beat them by one weaponskill is completely fair game.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-11 11:06:03  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
I guess that depends on the event imo.

It's much harder to WS in dynamis than it does in Omen, especially if you are one of two/three DDs who are whacking on the boss.

But I guess that's true for everyone in dynamis.

Oh my point in believing that the WSfreq is often overlooked is because eyes are drawn to that high damage NUMBER of a spiked WS, but if you're staring at a parse result showing 1 person with a 40k WSavg, but only 25 WSs, or someone with a 22k WSavg, with 60WSs...it shows who is more active, is TP'ing more effectively, and in many cases, stays alive.

Using that in an entire wave parse in a dynamis-D run is very deceiving, I will completely agree. As someone who comes to wave3 runs 99% of the time on COR or RNG, I will typically reset a parse for the wave3 boss, and its in that scenario where something like frequency reveals more than the actual wave where connection and targeting can affect parse results more than actual gear or playstyle.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 11:06:37  

The parse itself is not negative nor positive but the reasoning behind the person who posted it is. Most of the time, people post them to brag or shame people. This is true in any MMO.
 Shiva.Ariaum
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2020-09-11 11:06:59  
Oddly in my experience ppl only get mad if you show them how bad they are actually doing. Being 3rd doesn't really matter when its 3% it does matter when its 50%.
By Mattelot 2020-09-11 11:08:50  
Shiva.Ariaum said: »
Oddly in my experience ppl only get mad if you show them how bad they are actually doing. Being 3rd doesn't really matter when its 3% it does matter when its 50%.

Look at it objectively. A random guy who may not be a min/maxer has how bad he is dangled in front of his face by another random guy. I wouldn't blame him for getting mad.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2020-09-11 11:10:09  
Using that in an entire wave parse in a dynamis-D run is very deceiving, I will completely agree. As someone who comes to wave3 runs 99% of the time on COR or RNG, I will typically reset a parse for the wave3 boss, and its in that scenario where something like frequency reveals more than the actual wave where connection and targeting can affect parse results more than actual gear or playstyle.
My shell does it differently. We have one person parse the boss and another parse just Wave 3.

I always come as tank anyway, so I don't care about parses for Wave 3...
[+]
 Shiva.Ariaum
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2020-09-11 11:10:14  
Right but if I am carrying you it might matter to me.
By RadialArcana 2020-09-11 11:11:35  
Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
I have never grouped with anyone who actually got mad at parse results lmao, wow you guys must be playing with some super defensive people.

You most likely spend most of your time with people with a similar mindset to you (where they are perfectly fine). If you do content with casual players (or people who are just "having fun" and do have good gear) quite often in PUGs you will see there are a lot of people who do not come upto your standards and they won't like being told they "suck".

It's fine to leave that as an unsaid thing, as long as the group is clearing the content that's all that matters. If not, leave and find a better group.

Every time someone does this from my experience it causes drama and ruins the group. Either people start arguing, people leave or they go into try hard mode and nobody talks anymore.

Again, I'm talking about joining a random pug and posting that stink bomb in party chat when you know you're top and everyone else is below you. You are going to offend people, you are going to make people leave and you are ruining the party for the person who made it. From my experience they always do it right before they leave too, cause they know they are gonna cause trouble and leave right after.

Just don't post it in random parties. I don't know why so many seem to be doing it (relatively speaking, it's been about 3-4 times in the past month) lately.

Parsers aren't banned from many games because they are 3rd party and they just want to ruin your fun, they are banned because they annoy people when used in PUG situations and that leads to GM calls.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9