users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » If you use a DPS meter don't post the logs
If you use a DPS meter don't post the logs
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-16 12:03:26  
So many comments about how "parsing is a tool, its how you use it" (Sorry Matt, its not just you, you just happen to be the most recent)- where's the "its how you interpret it"? Isn't there just as much responsibility on those freaking out from posted parses as there is those who post them- if not more?

Its the 2nd punch that starts the fight. Before then, it can be just one over-aggressive ***. So even if some idiot is going on about their skewed parse and how "amazeballs" their damage is and you need to "git gud"....your reaction to it is what's causing the issue. Just choose to ignore the foolish people, and maybe take what you can from the raw numbers.
By Mattelot 2020-09-16 12:11:03  
There are a lot of zoomers out there who are offended by anything, K-dawg.

Whatever the situation, there are so many variables that can determine who was the cause of the conflict. Person A swears to Jeebus that he was just "trying to help" or Person B who even if you said "good morning!" to him/her, they would reply "wtf is that supposed to mean?" and are just out looking for a problem.

Overall, I think the consensus here agrees that using them with randoms is bad, for your own static groups, they can be useful if your group is all about efficiency. I see a few in the thread who speak as if they are. I've not found anyone in-game on our server who do. At least nobody that I've played with.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-16 12:17:42  
oh that difference I get- between the casual PUG and the static shell event. I just don't get why there's so little onus being put on the reactionary, and all being put on the poster.

This is the gamer equivalent of blaming Darwin for publishing "Origin of Species", not the rioters and protesters throwing a fit about facts.

I'm just curious as to why. Why do those who react get a free pass because the parse was posted in "the wrong situation".
 Shiva.Xelltrix
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-16 12:31:31  
I’m of the same mind, I don’t post parses generally but someone getting butthurt simply because it was posted is just as much of a tool and someone who posts it and gloats. I have never actually witnessed anyone getting angry over a parse but if someone did, the fault likely lies with them.
 Sylph.Banhammer
サーバ: Sylph
user: Banhammer
By Sylph.Banhammer 2020-09-16 12:42:07  
I run a constant eyeball parse. I'm always carrying my group, it's exhausting honestly.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-16 12:42:12  
@K-dawg

Those who react like that are usually always randoms. Getting told by a random person that you're deficient, especially unsolicited tends to make someone defensive.

A few years ago, we hired this guy who came to us from our competitor. He was a smart guy who had a lot of knowledge on the products we make.

However, he was overly opinionated. He liked to tell people things he thought they should do better (something a boss, not a co-worker should do). No idea was a good idea unless it was his idea. And he would reply to a work email just to correct someone's grammar.

He did not understand why literally nobody liked him. He did not understand why nobody could take constructive criticism. I told him it was all in his delivery. If you're a Baker and everyone knows you make the most delicious apple pie and you offer them a slice, they're likely to want more and more from you. If you smash the pie in their face, they will not want anything from you anymore, no matter how delicious the pie is.
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-16 13:12:09  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
So many comments about how "parsing is a tool, its how you use it" (Sorry Matt, its not just you, you just happen to be the most recent)- where's the "its how you interpret it"? Isn't there just as much responsibility on those freaking out from posted parses as there is those who post them- if not more?

Its the 2nd punch that starts the fight. Before then, it can be just one over-aggressive ***. So even if some idiot is going on about their skewed parse and how "amazeballs" their damage is and you need to "git gud"....your reaction to it is what's causing the issue. Just choose to ignore the foolish people, and maybe take what you can from the raw numbers.

I think for the majority of the population this probably applies, but there is a portion of people who have a mental illness such as ADHD. These types of thing cannot be controlled and a lot of times the person is unable to react "appropriately". People who are posting on here "Stop being such a baby!" probably go through life with the expectation that everyone thinks the same or similar when that's not all the truth. Also you can see how a person's bad day can really change the way they react to situations. I think these are good things to be cognitive about in all areas of life as you don't know what someone is going through.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-16 13:14:33  
Asura.Tawhoya said: »
I think for the majority of the population this probably applies, but there is a portion of people who have a mental illness such as ADHD. These types of thing cannot be controlled and a lot of times the person is unable to react "appropriately". People who are posting on here "Stop being such a baby!" probably go through life with the expectation that everyone thinks the same or similar when that's not all the truth. Also you can see how a person's bad day can really change the way they react to situations. I think these are good things to be cognitive about in all areas of life as you don't know what someone is going through.

Or maybe we enable such victim mentality by not challenging those who don't handle it well. If you constantly tolerate such reaction, that becomes the normal rather than the exception.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
サーバ: Bismarck
user: ltantonio
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-16 13:15:49  
Quote:
Posting a parse has just become a social justice issue! Isn't 2020 just grand!
[+]
 Asura.Tawhoya
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2020-09-16 13:19:00  

Or maybe we enable such victim mentality by not challenging those who don't handle it well. If you constantly tolerate such reaction, that becomes the normal rather than the exception.

An illness is not something that anyone can control.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-16 13:19:26  

Not even close to being true.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2020-09-16 13:26:31  
Not even close to being true
^
By Mattelot 2020-09-16 13:48:46  
And Cele knows. That guy is I L L !

:P
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2020-09-16 13:49:54  
Mattelot said: »
And Cele knows. That guy is I L L !

:P

Oh and you only know about my shakeys, let alone my closet in the guest bedroom full of the left pinkies of my victims. Its how I re-live the moment.
[+]
By Mattelot 2020-09-16 13:54:31  
I still hate you for leaving discord.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-16 14:00:48  

Gimme a break. Every time someone acts the fool we need to assume it's because they have some issue.
You know what? Maybe the person who posted the parse was depressed and winning the parse was the only thing that kept them from the brink. Wouldn't that make the people who are angry with the poster insensitive?
Seriously, everyone be mad at everyone for everything, then also be mad at people who are mad because they're mad. This is fun.
[+]
 Bismarck.Firedemon
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2020-09-16 15:22:15  
I'm mad you made that post Laur.
By RadialArcana 2020-09-16 15:27:33  
Many people who play with their linkshell exclusively don't understand that when you join a random PUG doing lesser tier content, you're playing with people who often have a different mindset to what you are used to. You, as a geared and driven player are now playing with casual players who have nowhere near as good gear as you.

It's like being around your friends or team mates in a amateur football team all day and swearing, calling them names in fun and messing around, then going to the cafe with lots of random people in the evening. Do you talk to those people the same way you talk to your friends and walk in calling them wan***s while laughing and slap them across the back? No, you understand the different situation.

There are a few reasons why some people will not like you doing this.

You make a fun, casual group into a competition, you change the entire mindset of everyone in the group.

You make people play stupid, and do as much damage as possible with no care for common sense play. "oh I pulled hate off the tank? GOOD! >BERSERK >WARCRY! "wtf I died, whm sucks"

Lastly, everyone that plays an MMORPG is making progress on their character. If you come into a group and completely humiliate people publicly in-front of everyone else by stating they did 4% or something compared to your 36% then you're an ***. Yes I have seen people do this, they were completely oblivious because they only saw the top 2 people and didn't think they were pooping on the others.

I'm not saying you can't do it, you can do whatever you want but if you're totally oblivious then I thought I would point out that what you're doing could not only upset some people but make them never group up again or even quit.

To use an analogy, it's like being at party with lots of random people and they start talking about their jobs and how much they make. Then suddenly you stand up and say guys I make 4 times as much as all of you lot and I have to go now. Cyas.

"wtf why did they get mad? I'm just stating information, maybe they have mental problems idk"
[+]
 Leviathan.Supernads
user: Supernads
By Leviathan.Supernads 2020-09-16 17:43:42  
insert: Novel take on this argument on the seventh page.
[+]
By Aquatiq 2020-09-16 17:44:46  
Online content not rated by ESRB.
 Bismarck.Nickeny
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2020-09-16 21:37:39  
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-16 21:59:47  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
I'm mad you didn't up-vote my post. Show a pal some love.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2020-09-16 23:18:37  
Bismarck.Laurelli said: »
Quote:

ITT: "Not being a ***" is a social justice issue, apparently
By Mattelot 2020-09-17 03:37:29  

Just do it with your mules like some do.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2020-09-17 05:45:49  
RadialArcana said: »
There are a few reasons why some people will not like you doing this.

You make a fun, casual group into a competition, you change the entire mindset of everyone in the group.

You make people play stupid, and do as much damage as possible with no care for common sense play. "oh I pulled hate off the tank? GOOD! >BERSERK >WARCRY! "wtf I died, whm sucks"

I would like to simply say that someone being good at dealing damage does not always correlate to playing like a bot and getting yourself murdered.

Just as you say experienced players (far better word than elite btw) have a different frame of mind; don't assume that just because the DD's in your group make *** of themselves and get killed for epeen points that most, or even a significant amount of players who care about parses play this way.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 07:11:50  
RadialArcana said: »
To use an analogy, it's like being at party with lots of random people and they start talking about their jobs and how much they make. Then suddenly you stand up and say guys I make 4 times as much as all of you lot and I have to go now. Cyas.

"wtf why did they get mad? I'm just stating information, maybe they have mental problems idk"
This is a bad analogy. They weren't discussing their gear. He didn't just leave mid-discussion.
A better analogy is:
A bunch of elementary school kids are playing basketball without keeping score. However, there is a good parent on the sideline, the type who doesn't want to raise a participation trophy kid.
After the game, the good parent says, "By the way, in case anyone is interested, this is the score." Now that this information is put out, all the entitled Karen moms go nuts accusing the good parent of verbally assaulting their kids for pointing out that their kid isn't the best there ever was at everything.
Then the Karens go to the next schoolboard meeting and screetch "If you keep score don't say it out loud."
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 07:13:00  
Mattelot said: »

Just do it with your mules like some do.
No thanks. That's like giving a participation trophy to myself. Gross.
[+]
 Bismarck.Laurelli
By Bismarck.Laurelli 2020-09-17 07:15:35  
Phoenix.Dabackpack said: »
Quote:

ITT: "Not being a ***" is a social justice issue, apparently
Sharing data is being a *** now. Duly noted.
[+]
By soralin 2020-09-17 07:17:06  
Sharing data is being a *** now. Duly noted.

Sharing unsolicited information in a public manner for all to see, always has and always will be cunty, not a new thing.
[+]
サーバ: Sylph
user: Malphius
By Sylph.Zombiemalphius 2020-09-17 07:25:45  
When people post the parse data it makes me feel unsafe.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9