Coronavirus Death Toll Estimation USA

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Coronavirus death toll estimation USA
Coronavirus death toll estimation USA
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 53 54 55
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-07 22:50:47  
Everyone knows you show more cases if you do more tests. There is absolutely no one that doesn't know this.
By Prong 2020-07-07 22:51:58  
Shiva.Zerowone said: »
Prong said: »

Also, do you actually live in Sierra Leone? Always wondered just because I was always under the impression those "nation" flags are for you to state what nation you reside in, but I personally know several (most of an LS actually) people on my server who I know for a fact were born in the US and have lived here their entire lives yet, they chose flags from other countries, I assume linked to their family lineage or something.

Maybe I’m in your linkshell then.

Think of it like a two pronged assault on your sensibilities.

People are silly. I wouldn’t give the flags too much thought. I’m an American mongrel mix of Swedish German Spanish and French.

Ah. I'm a mongrel mix of Welsh, Russian and German. The three loveliest and least easily angered cultures on the planet.
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-07 22:55:21  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
Everyone knows you show more cases if you do more tests. There is absolutely no one that doesn't know this.

From some of the statements I've seen on here, that's not a self-evident truth.

Also, the fact that they are panicking about increasing numbers in areas that are loosening their restrictions is also curious, being that it is pretty obvious of course numbers would spike once people started gathering together again. I mean, unless they are protesting a worthy cause, let me make that caveat as to not offend. Then you know, it won't affect the numbers whatsoever.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-07 22:58:12  
Positivity is what is alarming.

10,000 tests with 1% positive vs 100,000 with 9% positive

yes, it's 9000 more cases, and that's the part they try to say "well we did more tests" Yeah, but you also had 8% more infected in the test set. THATs the important number.
By Prong 2020-07-07 23:04:51  

yes, it's 9000 more cases, and that's the part they try to say "well we did more tests" Yeah, but you also had 8% more infected in the test set. THATs the important number.

I'm just waiting for when they finally unveil which protest organizer developed a vaccine for Covid and only distributed said vaccine to their followers so we can pass it on to everyone, move one and argue about something else.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-07 23:09:59  
If we could go one whole page without being disingenuous it'd be a miracle.

Get comfy, there won't be any "moving on" until people start acting like adults. And that ***just ain't happening.
By Prong 2020-07-07 23:14:49  
If we could go one whole page without being disingenuous it'd be a miracle.

Get comfy, there won't be any "moving on" until people start acting like adults. And that ***just ain't happening.

I can cut the sarcasm if everyone else can stop being obtuse due to their partisan political views.

The fact the media is flat out making excuses (still) for thousands gathering in protest and ignoring social distancing suggestions is really not only frustratingly stupid but actually dangerous and irresponsible IMO. Our media is a cancer to fact. And don't say it, no, the "cause" isn't worth the risk. If people feel so, they can go light themselves on fire for the cause like monks do for their protests and leave everyone else out of it.

Counting Covid deaths as any death that occurs where the person HAPPENS to have been diagnosed with Covid, even if the Covid did not cause the death, absolutely skews those numbers into the realm of inaccuracy. Period. How can we trust the suggestions of our leaders if they can't even be honest or even try and avoid common sense?
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-07 23:18:24  

That depends. Who’s getting tested? Is it more those who show symptoms (where the percentage would be higher), or more those who are getting mandatory testing for other reasons (where the percentage would be lower)? Such demographics play a huge role in the outcome.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-07 23:21:33  
Man, it's what the media is paid to do. It's for profit entertainment. Our media IS cancer. all of it. With a capital C for Capitalism.

The second part is not true as well. It's up to the ME to make the call.

It is very difficult to say a person had corona and died, but not because of it, because of all the problems corona causes. For as many cases "that died with corona but not because of it" there are equal cases "that were not counted even though they had corona".

Hypothetical; a person has corona, and dies from pneumonia. There is no way to know if the corona caused the pneumonia for certain, only a best guess (assuming said person died at home). we trust a medical examiner to make the best educated guess that the corona was the primary cause of death. But it is just a guess, and funding can influence results.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-07 23:22:42  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

That depends. Who’s getting tested? Is it more those who show symptoms (where the percentage would be higher), or more those who are getting mandatory testing for other reasons (where the percentage would be lower)? Such demographics play a huge role in the outcome.

It's "random sampling" and actual "I went and got tested because I feel sick" the results are mixed together (but shouldn't be)
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-08 00:01:56  

It's "random sampling" and actual "I went and got tested because I feel sick" the results are mixed together (but shouldn't be)

Yeah, that part bothers me. You simply can’t compare results that are not scientifically sampled, but that’s exactly what is going on.
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-08 01:23:20  
The second part is not true as well. It's up to the ME to make the call.

By this logic, if it's, "My Body, My Choice" but my choices may in fact spread a potentially deadly airborne pathogen to others, then "others" should be able to protect themselves against your choices by any means necessary. That's their choice. That's a slippery slope.

Now I know you are a bit of an anomaly with a pretty extreme lack of morality on certain topics, so you aren't the best person to address this topic. Do your other similar-minded folk on here agree with your, "it's my choice to expose myself and to risk the lives of others, if the cause fits?" Because that is literally one of the most selfish viewpoints on the matter I've ever seen and I've yet to see anyone else take this stance. They've predominately avoided the question and instead will post a link to some liberal op ed that tries to explain away the selfishness of that thought process.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-08 01:25:04  
I think that you confused Medical Examiner with "me"?
By Prong 2020-07-08 01:31:42  
It is very difficult to say a person had corona and died, but not because of it, because of all the problems corona causes. For as many cases "that died with corona but not because of it" there are equal cases "that were not counted even though they had corona".

Also this is akin to how so many death certs will state, "renal failure" as the cause of death when in fact, it was a long term battle with cancer or diabetes that is actually the cause of the renal failure, so actually the cancer or diabetes is the cause of death.

You'd think after hundreds of years of medical advancement the industry would be smart enough to properly list an actual cause of death, not just the finishing blow. That's the equivalent of saying, "the cause of your house collapsing is structural failure," when the structural failure was caused by a tornado that just passed through.
By Prong 2020-07-08 01:32:02  
I think that you confused Medical Examiner with "me"?

I did!
By Prong 2020-07-08 01:44:06  
This isn't bad news for the middle class/poor. I'm not eligible because I am literally SO poor, I have not filed a tax return for the past two years but, at least it may give some a little help.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcconnell-opens-door-second-stimulus-check-americans-economy-coronavirus-payments-2020-7
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-08 01:47:00  
I mean a dead body can't tell you what killed it.

You can only really assume so much information. There's really no fix for that, no amount of tech can change that. You see fluid/aveolar damage and a positive covid result, you have to assume covid caused death.

(assuming you had no prior contact with the person pre death)
By Prong 2020-07-08 01:51:35  
I mean a dead body can't tell you what killed it.

You can only really assume so much information. There's really no fix for that, no amount of tech can change that. You see fluid/aveolar damage and a positive covid result, you have to assume covid caused death.

(assuming you had no prior contact with the person pre death)

Well right but, they are also talking about people who have literally been battling a terminal affliction either in the hospital or at home and then test positive for Covid basically either right before the other thing(s) finally takes them out or at the time of death.

Also, you'd think they could rule out Covid being the cause when they drag a body from a car crash, but the lady on the video didn't make it very clear whether that level of logic was being applied or not.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-08 01:59:32  
It comes down to semantics.

If you were going to die on July 10th from cancer, but you died before that, and had covid. You died from covid, even though cancer would have gotten you.

Did the cancer weaken you causing you to die from covid that you would've normally survived?

Chicken or Egg. It's a discretionary call.
By Prong 2020-07-08 02:05:51  
It comes down to semantics.

If you were going to die on July 10th from cancer, but you died before that, and had covid. You died from covid, even though cancer would have gotten you.

Did the cancer weaken you causing you to die from covid that you would've normally survived?

Chicken or Egg. It's a discretionary call.

I know and I am saying if their "discretion" lends them to make the ridiculous conclusion (in those cases) that Covid is the actual reason for death, they most likely are choosing it for a reason other than accuracy in reporting.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Terlet Sangria 2020-07-08 06:27:04  
Holy ***look how much better this got. Admitting points! Reasoned discussion!

Should've built that nuke years ago
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
サーバ: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-07-08 06:38:59  
Shiva.Zerowone said: »
I haven't taken the time to look over the entire list but, from the top quarter or so I have looked at, it's almost like the amount of Covid cases increase in relation to the amount of tests that are recorded as being performed on each given day.

On scale of “stoned” to “lucid tautologist”, how baked are you/were you, when you typed that out?

I don't have access to pot, but honestly, other than you just trolling for the sake of being snarky, I have zero idea what you are talking about.

He missed the obvious point that the phrase "it's almost like" is often an indication of sarcasm.

You missed the tone that it was a joke.

You also missed the post from Rooks about chilling.

You keep taking shots from the sideline for attention. You must not know what chill is.

How about contributing with some data analysis (since you claim it’s your forte) on the subject instead of your usual impotent and petulant bully schtick.
Administrator
サーバ: Hyperion
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Cruz Missive 2020-07-08 06:41:06  
[+]
By Prong 2020-07-08 06:49:48  

Yup.

Happy Scrappy Hero Pup chimed in as usual and flogged the pooch.

Now can I go back to berating Eiryl or....?
[+]
 Shiva.Zerowone
サーバ: Shiva
user: Zerowone
By Shiva.Zerowone 2020-07-08 06:49:58  

My phone didn't update the page, so when I opened safari this morning it just had the last page with sideline Susie over there who was continuing his antics.
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2020-07-08 09:39:57  
This isn't bad news for the middle class/poor. I'm not eligible because I am literally SO poor, I have not filed a tax return for the past two years but, at least it may give some a little help.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mcconnell-opens-door-second-stimulus-check-americans-economy-coronavirus-payments-2020-7
There was supposed to be a mechanism so that people like you could get the stimulus check anyway.

I don't file either but I'm on social security and got my check through that.
By Viciouss 2020-07-08 09:51:02  
I would expect another round of stimulus checks, and I would expect them to go out to even more people than last time. The threshold for cutoff might come down slightly, but not all the way to 40k. Filing taxes isn't required to receive a check, you should have been mailed one Prong?
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2020-07-08 11:14:06  
I love waking up to sweet irony.

But anyway, the talk is that the cap to receive a check could be 40k (80k filing jointly), but whatever the actual number is I imagine we’ll end up with a phase-out bracket like before. It really doesn’t make sense to give a several thousand dollar check to someone who made $39,999 and not someone who made $40,001.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2020-07-08 11:15:07  
Terlet Sangria said: »
Holy ***look how much better this got. Admitting points! Reasoned discussion!

Should've built that nuke years ago

Well, I'm about to burn this down, not intentionally, but will likely be the result.

*can of gas and a handful of matches*

Do you know why it was civilized last night?

Prong was more interested in learning than arguing and the "bad actors" weren't here to *** it up.

I got to answer honestly "with a commie fact" about why the media is what it is. and there was no one here to call me a nazi, commie, unamerican, chinese national, "left monster" who doesn't pay taxes in moms basement collecting unemployment.

Now you can have that all the time, not just certain hours of the day...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 25 26 27 ... 53 54 55