2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out! - New FFXI RNG Guide
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 97 98 99
By eliroo 2019-03-20 12:07:18  
Asura.Snapster said: »
Ranger melee is mediocre for a couple of reasons. If you're meleeing to use magic weaponskills, you're using Malevolence x2. Your accuracy will be somewhat impaired and you don't get any MA/FUA/STP from your weapons. If you're meleeing to use physical weaponskills, why are you on Ranger?

Kaja weapons are a pretty decent swap in if you wanted to melee. They won't beat a mal but they will still function.
 Asura.Snapster
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Mojopojo
By Asura.Snapster 2019-03-20 12:12:30  
The latest rnghelper has a retry built in for dropped packets, and some other features as well. In regards to melee, I'd rather just come on WAR or something. It can be helpful if you're in a situation where you unable to change jobs or where it wouldn't be worth the time.
By eliroo 2019-03-20 12:15:32  
Yeah pretty sure thats the version Jyouya modified. He just updated it this morning to clear your queue when disabling. It also maintains AM now if you wanted to.
By Afania 2019-03-20 12:15:34  
Cronnus said: »
You're missing rolls.

I know, but you can get another cor to roll and just use both.

eliroo said: »
The only negative to meleeing as RNG is the instances you are using physical weapon skills which are pretty gross right now.

What do you mean? Rng does have access to kaja axe/sword for strong ws.

If you're meleeing to use physical weaponskills, why are you on Ranger?

I see ranger ever really needing a melee setup.

Maybe. But if a rng really want to melee for fun/personal preference, they can and in theory they should be fine, not TOO behind in terms of efficiency. Their melee dps should be equal or even ahead of cor because higher pdif cap.
 Asura.Snapster
By Asura.Snapster 2019-03-20 12:16:34  
Yeah pretty sure thats the version Jyouya modified. He just updated it this morning to clear your queue when disabling. It also maintains AM now if you wanted to.

It's not the version he modified. I added the retry and some other features.
By eliroo 2019-03-20 12:17:48  
To clarify, I was referring to ranged physical weapon skills not melee ones. But yeah Decimation and Savage blade should be pretty decent for ranger but if you are using those, like Snapster said "Why are you on RNG?"
By eliroo 2019-03-20 12:18:58  

It's not the version he modified. I added the retry and some other features.

Cool. I just came back a few weeks ago and redownloaded the available one and it was still messing up in dynamis thats why this one was tweaked. Wasn't aware the original one was still being updated.
By volkom 2019-03-20 12:23:44  
Afania said: »
Maybe. But if a rng really want to melee for fun/personal preference, they can and in theory they should be fine, not TOO behind in terms of efficiency.

Its like do you want to be Aragorn or Legolas ~
[+]
By Afania 2019-03-20 12:26:29  
To clarify, I was referring to ranged physical weapon skills not melee ones. But yeah Decimation and Savage blade should be pretty decent for ranger but if you are using those, like Snapster said "Why are you on RNG?"

Maybe. But if a rng really want to melee for fun/personal preference, they can and in theory they should be fine, not TOO behind in terms of efficiency. Their melee dps should be equal or even ahead of cor because higher pdif cap.

There can be 1000 reasons, one may not have a top end melee geared but they would like join a melee pt as dd, and doesnt want to gear a brand new melee job from scratch. In that case melee rng seems totally viable as DD. Even a kaja cor can be very competitive to a rema dd if that person isnt absolute bis. So I dont see why cant rng take a dd slot if rng has equal dps as cor. A full bis melee rng will likely to outparse mediocre dd.

You guys are acting as if every player has 22 jobs available in absolute bis and able to just switch anytime for max pt performance lol. In reality most of endgame player has 1-5 top end jobs and just pick whatever thats good enough to get things done, its better than gear a brand new job or use a different mediocre geared job.
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2019-03-20 12:35:23  
Ranger melee is mediocre for a couple of reasons. If you're meleeing to use magic weaponskills, you're using Malevolence x2. Your accuracy will be somewhat impaired and you don't get any MA/FUA/STP from your weapons. If you're meleeing to use physical weaponskills, why are you on Ranger?
You're farming omen and you get to porxies. Other than that, i don't see many opportunities that it excells at.
 Asura.Topace
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2019-03-20 12:35:36  
Are they finally fixing Bow Weaponskills!? Is RNG finally getting the love it deserves.

By Cronnus 2019-03-20 13:05:12  
I'm comparing jobs separately. How one ranged job beats the other ranged job in almost all aspects. Minus I think theres more things weak to light than there are things weak to darkness. But I'm no cor. So I'm sure I'm wrong there.

What I'm saying is ranger needs an ability adjustment pretty significant to tip the scales to even compare to cor. Cor is like a bard and massive DPS rolled into one. Like someone said before. If it comes down to 1 slot is open, they're gonna take the cor.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2019-03-20 13:16:20  
Hell, most RNGs these days have a COR built up as well. I know that if I'm heading to a PT and there's no COR and they say "come whatever you want", I'm coming COR to assist myself AND the rest of the party. RNG can't do that, nor should they honestly. They're a heavy DD job with the benefit of distance, the problem being emnity control where that distance gets you in trouble with the rest of the group. Outside of Annihilator usage, it just isn't safe any more to go all out on RNG. Fix that, and you've got something.
 Asura.Zanosan
user: Kutsurabi
By Asura.Zanosan 2019-03-20 13:24:22  
Just play RNG like a melee DD and shoot from melee range and embarrass other DDs who think they're better because of their job with your haste II and madrigals.

Let's just hope this job ability adjustment thing isn't like MNK's :)
[+]
 Bahamut.Negan
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2019-03-20 13:26:04  
Asura.Zanosan said: »
Let's just hope this job ability adjustment thing isn't like MNK's :)

bahahahah, Sharpshot > 3 hours > shoot
[+]
By Afania 2019-03-20 13:28:25  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
Hell, most RNGs these days have a COR built up as well. I know that if I'm heading to a PT and there's no COR and they say "come whatever you want", I'm coming COR to assist myself AND the rest of the party. RNG can't do that, nor should they honestly. They're a heavy DD job with the benefit of distance, the problem being emnity control where that distance gets you in trouble with the rest of the group. Outside of Annihilator usage, it just isn't safe any more to go all out on RNG. Fix that, and you've got something.

This made me wonder....If SE just make a content that is most beneficial for DD to switch from melee to ranged during certain "phase", will that make rng a better DD choice than the rest?

Since rng + cor setup can both switch mode in this case. And decimation + savage has better SC synergy than savage only in a 2 cor setup. It seems like a great combo if this kind of strategy gets used on something.
 Asura.Snapster
By Asura.Snapster 2019-03-20 13:32:20  
1. Make Camouflage useful (i.e. doesn't break)
2. Increase Sharpshot duration or add some other bonus to it
3. Rework stealth shot/flashy shot to be duration and not one time use
4. Adjust ranged delay calculations (the static delay sucks)
5. Consider adjusting ranged enmity as a whole - Only elemental WS/coronach are viable for many situations because of this
[+]
 Asura.Zanosan
By Asura.Zanosan 2019-03-20 13:48:58  
Even melee sets aren't as good.

RNG melee set should be identical to cor's, while having better damage limit + traits, as well as access to both kaja axe and sword.

I dont see how rng cant compete with cor as melee unless Im missing something.

How about this for starters, our WSD reforge don't have melee stats on them.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-03-20 13:52:01  
only 1/2 of corsair's does, so I would leave that point off
 Asura.Zanosan
By Asura.Zanosan 2019-03-20 13:54:58  
Well, I said for starters. It can add up. Missing two slots of ACC in a WS set is a pretty major knock for any set's ability to compete.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2019-03-20 14:24:50  

RNG melee set should be identical to cor's, while having better damage limit + traits, as well as access to both kaja axe and sword.

If you are going the Decimation route it doesn't need WSDMG. What are we looking at? STR Adhemar/Herculean with Triple Attack?
By Afania 2019-03-20 14:48:45  
Carbuncle.Makonnen said: »
C. Remove/Revoke @fania from ever posting on RNG forums, spamming forum pages into a whirlwind is not a sufficient way to guide players, this is a ongoing issue our communities have been facing.

Not sure why do you suddenly drop in and rage fest for absolutely no reason when others are discussing melee builds calmly.
By Afania 2019-03-20 14:53:27  

Siren.Kyte said: »
only 1/2 of corsair's does, so I would leave that point off

Less than 1/2, actually.

ItemSet 326290

The entire set with acc that is cor exclusive is pretty much just the feet.

Rng acc trait easily surpass it.
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2019-03-20 14:55:01  
I meant 1 out of 2 reforged WSD pieces.
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2019-03-20 15:14:19  
Asura.Sialeed said: »
Armageddon has a Enmity reduction in wildfire ability

This is not the case, Wildfire is a reduced enmity WS inherently on all guns (and TP modifier is further enmity reduction). Nothing specific to Armageddon. Armageddon does have pretty good enmity control though, if you can use Decoy Shot. You can take that huge white damage from AM3 crits and dump it onto the tank.

As for JA adjustments...

Camouflage would be a good one to change that could potentially help enmity control and DPS. Say, something sort of like RDM got with Saboteur:
- 1min duration, 3min recast, does not wear
- Enmity reduction applies to all ranged attacks AND WS, as well as Barrage
- Instead of merits giving -10sec recast/merit, change to give more enmity reduction per merit
- Still retains the crit rate +20% from 20/20 Job Points (coupled with the ability to keep it up 1/3 of the time, that's a nice DPS boosting JA)

Nobody should want Stealth/Flashy adjustments. We'd have to give up 5/5 snapshot merits and 5/5 recycle (i.e., massive amount of relic hat STP).
 Asura.Zanosan
By Asura.Zanosan 2019-03-20 15:15:37  
Yeah, you're right. I didn't realize RNG got that high of an acc boost from trait and assuming you don't have Karieyh you're using Regal which gives you acc from using AF head. Also for some reason thought RNG wasn't on Meghanada for a good 15 minutes.
[+]
By Afania 2019-03-20 15:56:45  
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

If you are going the Decimation route it doesn't need WSDMG. What are we looking at? STR Adhemar/Herculean with Triple Attack?

War and drk uses resolution set without moonshade so I suppose rng can use RUN reso set without moonshade/Lustratio/niq too.

ItemSet 365731

Adhemar path B(str path), back: str/da.
If attack capped then samnuha > megh legs.
Volte spats seems like another good feet alternative if you cant get high str/ta.

Keeping ullr for barrage TP gain maybe? Since tp bonus isnt required.

Not sure if Im missing anything, any advice welcomed.

Edit: changed some gears a few times, went back to fotia instead assuming attack isnt capped. Added sherida and herc feet.

Edit2: changed bow to holliday.
 Asura.Snapster
By Asura.Snapster 2019-03-20 16:12:59  
D sword skill somewhat impedes Savage Blade dreams. 334 base skill vs 424 A+. COR has B+ so that's 384. Still a difference of 50.
[+]
By Afania 2019-03-20 16:19:44  
Decimation is a better ws than savage in 6 man melee pt anyways. You can SC light with savage cor and lionheart/epeo run with decimation, which adds up. The question is probably whether decimation on rng can reach drk and war level of 30-40k avg.
First Page 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 97 98 99