2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 314 315 316 ... 424 425 426
By Afania 2022-08-08 03:03:09  
Odin.Stayfresh said: »
And I have yet to see a congestion problem here. The Omen line does get long here if there is a campaign.

Omen has worse congestion than Odyssey from my experience. The Odyssey congestion is tolerable to me, not Omen.

It's common to wait for 15-20 min for omen/VR instance from my experience.

I think that's the reason why SE refuse to stack KI in post-Omen content.

Sylph.Hyakufistss said: »
What’s next, McDonald’s limiting the amount of calories my order can have?

If I lose my job because I spend 10+ hrs playing this game, that’s on me. Not SE for making an addictive game.

Except in the extreme case of MMO addiction, it's more than one involved individual lose their job, but their baby lose life as the result of their addiction. Quick google search shows that it happened several times in the past, not just once. forcing the government to act.

calories McDonalds is a poor comparison, I've never hear anything about social problems caused by calories addiction. Worst case is..... obesity? That's about it. Health problems caused by McDonald's is relatively minor compare with alcohol and cigarette anyways. So I'm Not sure why is this even brought up when both cases can't be compared.

Edit: also...afaik McDonald's is already regulated in some countries, just saying. So it's not something new.

MMO/gacha game addiction caused more serious social problems in the past, including MMO/gacha addicted kids stole ALL of their parent's savings to pay for gacha game shinies. I've heard of stories of people spending 100k USD per month on gacha games.

If you have an addicted family member stealing all of your money to on a MMO, or causing your kid starve to death, maybe, just maybe, that you wouldn't mention McDonald's to white knight game designs that intentionally cause addictions and problems in our society.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-08-08 03:17:03  
Afania said: »
calories McDonalds is a poor comparison, I've never hear anything about social problems caused by calories addiction. Worst case is..... obesity? That's about it. Health problems caused by McDonald's is relatively minor compare with alcohol and cigarette anyways. So I'm Not sure why is this even brought up.

Hahaha :D That's a good one. You might wanna check how much people die or have severe health issues because of obesity and you will stop being ignorant in this case.

USA death stats I have found fast (im at work):
alcohol 140 000
Obesity 282 000
smoking 480 000

Obesity doesn't look minor at all. McDonald was excellent example here.
[+]
By Afania 2022-08-08 03:31:34  
SimonSes said: »
calories McDonalds is a poor comparison, I've never hear anything about social problems caused by calories addiction. Worst case is..... obesity? That's about it. Health problems caused by McDonald's is relatively minor compare with alcohol and cigarette anyways. So I'm Not sure why is this even brought up.

Hahaha :D That's a good one. You might wanna check how much people die or have severe health issues because of obesity and you will stop being ignorant in this case.

alcohol 140 000
Obesity 282 000
smoking 480 000

Wait what??? Your number is death due to obesity but not death due to eating McDonald's. What kind of comparison is that?????

Eating McDonald's doesn't cause Obesity 100%, and Obesity has multiple cause more than McDonald's.

I eat McDonald's all the time, I'm not Obese. So you can't argue that X number of people die because of Obesity, there for the same X number of people die due to McDonald's?

How the hell do you get the conclusion that McDonald is worse than alcohol and cigarette only based on obesity death numbers?

Edit: I think there are more people eat McDonald's than people who smoke too, at least from what I've seen. So larger base number=potentially higher number of people. It doesn't mean the actual death rate is comparable this way.

(I'm not sure why is this being discussed in dev tracker btw)

Edit 2: Google WHO Obesity and WHO Alcohol, according to WHO Alcohol caused 3m death but only 2.8m death from overweight. So yes, alcohol is more harmful according to WHO data.

Your number is US only and doesn't even apply to the whole world.
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-08-08 04:22:34  
(Nor I'm not sure why is this being discussed dev tracker btw)

https://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/29127/random-question-thread-ffxi-related/749/#3633720
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-08-08 05:51:32  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
They could make a middle ground where you can enter a practice run of the NM without spending moglophones, but you get no rp or clear progress if you win. Lets new players/groups/etc learn the fights without risk. That's where most of your wasted segments are going to end up.

How about weekly RoEs for A, B, and C? You finish the zone, you get a moglophone (II).

Segments become less important as a bottle neck and upgrades from A and B become cheaper.
[+]
By Starbucks 2022-08-08 06:07:17  
Phoenix.Iocus said: »
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
They could make a middle ground where you can enter a practice run of the NM without spending moglophones, but you get no rp or clear progress if you win. Lets new players/groups/etc learn the fights without risk. That's where most of your wasted segments are going to end up.

How about weekly RoEs for A, B, and C? You finish the zone, you get a moglophone (II).

Segments become less important as a bottle neck and upgrades from A and B become cheaper.
Give this man a medal.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
サーバ: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-08 06:27:02  
They don't want cheaper. They want the people who have run out (or will run out) of reasons to go to still want to farm materials to sell.

Artificial rarity is on purpose.

Otherwise, scales and hides wouldn't exist and there would be just one item to upgrade.
[+]
By Aerix 2022-08-08 06:27:12  
Better yet, just remove the ability to buy Moglophones II with segments. Let the KI stack up every 20h like Voidstones instead (perhaps with faster cooldown the higher your Moogle Mastery is).

Keep regular Odyssey the same for gil, lustreless and amplifier farming, but at least people will be able to stop stressing about missing out or wasting resources to help in Gaol (in the long-term). It'll slow down the hardcore daily segments farmers unless the MM reduction is significant enough, but it's less stressful or time-consuming in the long run for everyone.

Of course this'll never happen, but one can dream.
[+]
 Sylph.Funkworkz
VIP
サーバ: Sylph
user: Funkworkz
By Sylph.Funkworkz 2022-08-08 07:10:15  
4 hour maintenance for the update tomorrow night

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news26754.shtml
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2022-08-08 07:24:52  
How about weekly RoEs for A, B, and C? You finish the zone, you get a moglophone (II)

This would be an excellent mechanism, and would make more traffic go into A and B. A medal for you.

Aerix said: »
Better yet, just remove the ability to buy Moglophones II with segments. Let the KI stack up every 20h like Voidstones instead (perhaps with faster cooldown the higher your Moogle Mastery is).

Linking it to MM is a terrible idea: it slows down significantly progress for people at the bottom of the ladder and is an (almost) irrelevant advantage to people at the top of it. The weekly RoE above is an excellent solution, is a minor advantage for people who do it everyday and a huge boon for people who only do it once a week.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-08-08 07:32:40  
Sylph.Funkworkz said: »
4 hour maintenance for the update tomorrow night

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news26754.shtml

Usually indicative of the large number of files to be expected, Funk?
[+]
By SimonSes 2022-08-08 07:56:46  
Well whole new event and 132 new items
[+]
By Aerix 2022-08-08 08:20:50  
Lili said: »
Linking it to MM is a terrible idea: it slows down significantly progress for people at the bottom of the ladder and is an (almost) irrelevant advantage to people at the top of it. The weekly RoE above is an excellent solution, is a minor advantage for people who do it everyday and a huge boon for people who only do it once a week.

I disagree. MM needs more purpose for existing and you'd still get KIs even without it—not to mention even soloers can progress it while farming segments and there'd be no downside if the reduction worked retroactively like with Voidstones. Nobody would be forced anymore to find PUGs or a static just to farm segments regularly, but it'd still be beneficial just to have a supply for amplifiers.

And a weekly RoE is yet another factor you have to keep doing regularly to keep up. We need fewer dailies/weeklies/monthlies that cause FOMO, not more.
[+]
 Asura.Spiceryan
By Asura.Spiceryan 2022-08-08 09:36:21  
SimonSes said: »

alcohol 140 000
Obesity 282 000
smoking 480 000

Wait what??? Your number is death due to obesity but not death due to eating McDonald's. What kind of comparison is that?????

Eating McDonald's doesn't cause Obesity 100%, and Obesity has multiple cause more than McDonald's.

I eat McDonald's all the time, I'm not Obese. So you can't argue that X number of people die because of Obesity, there for the same X number of people die due to McDonald's?

How the hell do you get the conclusion that McDonald is worse than alcohol and cigarette only based on obesity death numbers?

Edit: I think there are more people eat McDonald's than people who smoke too, at least from what I've seen. So larger base number=potentially higher number of people. It doesn't mean the actual death rate is comparable this way.

(I'm not sure why is this being discussed in dev tracker btw)

Edit 2: Google WHO Obesity and WHO Alcohol, according to WHO Alcohol caused 3m death but only 2.8m death from overweight. So yes, alcohol is more harmful according to WHO data.

Your number is US only and doesn't even apply to the whole world.

Petition to change thread title to McDonald's and segment farming a cautionary tale (how I overcame my addiction to segment farming and Big Macs)
[+]
By Meeble 2022-08-08 09:40:33  

I know overcomplication is the name of the game, but if we're wishing... just make it like UNM, where you can participate without any Phone II's but only get RP if you have one(or more).

Easy to implement, easy for players to understand, never gonna happen.
[+]
By Heghmoh 2022-08-08 10:45:51  
Meeble said: »
where you can participate without any Phone II's but only get RP if you have one(or more).

Based on the number of times I have forgotten to amplifier before entering and know I would forget to moglophone II before entering and get no credit, I already hate it.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2022-08-08 10:47:33  
This would never work atm.
The entire reason why they added moglo2 was to give incentive to do sheol a/b/c which most people were ignoring and simply buying the lustreless.

Furthermore, being that A/B/C are time gated already fulfill the purpose of not letting people spam gaol like there's no tomorrow, with the result of overloading their servers and being done with content too fast.

Now that they're adding new content and given how odyssey isn't new anymore, there's a chance they will ease the requirements.
I don't know how but I can see them doing some small thing to it before the end of the year.
[+]
 Phoenix.Iocus
サーバ: Phoenix
user: androwe
By Phoenix.Iocus 2022-08-08 11:09:39  

I disagree. MM needs more purpose for existing and you'd still get KIs even without it—not to mention even soloers can progress it while farming segments and there'd be no downside if the reduction worked retroactively like with Voidstones. Nobody would be forced anymore to find PUGs or a static just to farm segments regularly, but it'd still be beneficial just to have a supply for amplifiers.

And a weekly RoE is yet another factor you have to keep doing regularly to keep up. We need fewer dailies/weeklies/monthlies that cause FOMO, not more.

I definitely don't disagree with this either even though I put out the RoE idea.

The idea of 3 free weeklies was so that people who have less than ideal group times can still get some moglophones together independently and pick a day to use them so they can keep progress/RP. That's my current pain point.

There is nothing wrong with rewarding Mog Mastery levels. They built it into the event. It makes it easier/possible for smaller groups to do the content if they can't find a static or even a pug.

I would accept either solution joyfully.
[+]
By Meeble 2022-08-08 11:26:59  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Now that they're adding new content and given how odyssey isn't new anymore, there's a chance they will ease the requirements.
I don't know how but I can see them doing some small thing to it before the end of the year.

I forget if it was the AMA or one of the streams, but they did say they would consider regular moglophone stacking once Odyssey was complete and they felt it wouldn't cause congestion.

So IF it happens, it'll most likely be a year or two after veng 25/r30 comes out.
[+]
VIP
By Lili 2022-08-08 11:58:08  
MM needs more purpose for existing

500% agreed on this, but linking it to how fast you get next KI doesn't seem like a good idea to me, for the reason stated above: it "punishes" the people who already struggle to do the content and it becomes irrelevant for the people who can already do the content regularly. I'm not against your idea in principle, but you want adjustments that level the playing field, not that exacerbate differences.

You do have a point that soloers can progress MM on their own decently anyway, but that only happens to an extent, and it's significantly more difficult to do on C for example.

Quote:

You're right on the fomo in general, but it really depends how it was implemented. Imagine three RoEs that give you a phone II once per week for completing each of A, B, and C. They each don't do anything if you already have 3 phones. Then:

- If you do ody C daily or close to daily with your static, this roe just lets you save a few segments each week - not that you need it to begin with - and you have an incentive to do A and B again - less segments, more items to sell.

- If you never do NMs it won't help you in any way because you're sitting on 3 phones all the time and doing the roe "just for the weekly seal" like ambuscade won't help you - you still have the 3 KIs from last week anyway.

- If on the other hand you can only do ody one day per week, it would let you get one phoneII per week independently on how much your group sucked or even with no group at all: enter, run to exit, tag, bam you can do one NM and get your 5% wipe RPs entirely solo, thrice per week.

This _does_ level the playing field: strong static groups go from 7*3=21 gaol fights per week to 24, which is a 14% increase, weak lone soloers go from zero to three per week even if you only earned 500 segments total, which is an infinite% increase. Not to mention those intermediate groups that can do A and B reliably but struggle to not die on C at every camp.

Not saying it's the best solution, or that yours can't work, but see the logic there?
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-08 12:17:36  
I think it'd be simpler to just have the Moogle give you a free Mog II every 20-40 hours rather than gate it behind busywork RoEs.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-08-08 12:22:08  
Putting things as RoE rewards is a great way to get people to do them. Every 6th Sheol get one free!

(what they should do actually. Do any 2 gaol nms and the third spawn is free *of equal level* no doing v1 v1 free v20)
[+]
 Leviathan.Isiolia
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2022-08-08 12:38:38  
Asura.Eiryl said: »
(what they should do actually. Do any 2 gaol nms and the third spawn is free *of equal level* no doing v1 v1 free v20)

Just make NM kills 2 and 3 refund the KIs, so folks actually doing 3x *kills* spend one KI, and folks timing out for RP spend three.
[+]
By Aerix 2022-08-08 12:45:04  
it "punishes" the people who already struggle to do the content and it becomes irrelevant for the people who can already do the content regularly. I'm not against your idea in principle, but you want adjustments that level the playing field, not that exacerbate differences.

How would this system be "punishing" anybody? People struggling with the content are precisely the type of people who aren't running daily 10k+ segments farms to begin with, especially returnees who have a lot of other content to catch up on.

Everyone would get a KI every 20h at minimum for zero effort and it would build up an endless stock even if you can't play or can't find a group. And I even suggested it could apply the time reduction retroactively to boost your KI stock if you ever decided to improve your MM (which is entirely soloable with Trusts and it encourages people to farm A and B instead of just C). Hell, if MM45 reduced the cooldown to 8h per Moglophone II then even hardcore groups would still get their 21 KIs per week. No different from the existing system for Voidstones.

How exactly does it not level the playing field? Everyone gets the same amount of KIs without having to login almost daily to run Odyssey (which everyone can agree is massively tedious) and those with a huge stockpile wouldn't be as worried about helping out others get their clears. You already have to farm segments for amplifiers, which would remain unchanged, so there's no additional drawback.
[+]
By ScaevolaBahamut 2022-08-08 13:49:04  
Personally, I could give a ***about augments but find farming Sheols too profitable not to do every day I play, so let me convert segments into a Moglophone II I can sell on the AH and this problem will end immediately.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2022-08-08 14:44:09  
They may never ease Odyssey entry requirements, because they went through all of the trouble to reduce Gain-EXP's effectiveness, due to how much gil it pumped into the game. Odyssey gives multiple players a decent chunk of change for 30 minutes of action, so anything that would benefit lower skilled players would also benefit upper tier players, creating the same unbalanced economy they wanted to eliminate. Though, they could just allow entry into the Sheols ABC to everyone with or without a KI, but gil reward at the end be limited to those with a Phone. That way, the only thing people gain from entering more runs is just segments and not excess gil.

Also, I think during the AMA they specifically said they don't like to make entry for instanced content unlimited, due to congestion and an endless supply of rewards, or something to that effect. (I don't know that I believe that to be true, since Ambuscade is unlimited, but it does have a finite set of rewards, so attrition plays a part there). I think congestion is a fair problem to be concerned about, but I don't think it would be as bad if people had the ability to do multiple runs at any given time vs doing one every day. Frankly, they just want you logging in every day and doing stuff every day. They may not have any intention of making it easier for you to get stuff done in Odyssey.
[+]
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2022-08-08 15:06:08  
Odyssey isn't even in remotely the same ballpark as what Sparks and Accolades gave. You could give people 10 moglophones every single day and it still wouldn't be in the same ballpark.
[+]
 Fenrir.Richybear
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2022-08-08 15:10:23  
I'd take 14m in straight gil (never mind what the Lustreless would sell for) in 5 hours in a heartbeat
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2022-08-08 15:19:08  
1m+ x 6 people in raw, server generated Gil every 30-45m isn't gonna happen. If they ever removed the timer on moggiephones they'd either heavily nerf Gil output or find a way to make the bonus from hitting the exit have a 20hr cooldown.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2022-08-08 17:09:14  
or

Bismarck.Nickeny said: »
I think the perfect fix would be to allow us to spam oddy sheols as much as we want, But after we do it and click the top we no longer get the bonus and Gil at the end until JP midnight.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 314 315 316 ... 424 425 426