2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » General » Dev Tracker - Discussion
Dev Tracker - Discussion
First Page 2 3 ... 142 143 144 ... 424 425 426
By Dazusu 2020-06-07 10:13:47  
Asura.Saevel said: »
FFXI isn't capable of what you call "instancing", or rather dynamic areas.

While the client has statically defined zone entities, that doesn't mean the server can't spin up dynamic instances of zones, and manage/assign clients to those instances exclusively. Salvage and Delve are both examples of this. Of course, I can't say if there aren't a finite number of these instances pre-spun up server side, and I've never bothered to check if they're all on the same or different IP addresses (which could indicate different hardware or VMs); but my point was - copy/paste zone assets in a single instance isn't the only way they handle instancing.

The infuriating thing is this isn't done enough, and most content suffers from copy/paste instance-areas within a single instance, most prolifically in BCNM areas.
 Shiva.Thorny
サーバ: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Rairin
By Shiva.Thorny 2020-06-07 10:27:03  
Asura.Saevel said: »
Hmm maybe people forgot since we haven't discussed this in a very long time, FFXI isn't capable of what you call "instancing", or rather dynamic areas.

The FFXI engine is static, every possible area is already defined inside both the game data and the server resources. Whenever your character enters an area, the server sends a message telling your client to load "area 121, position 1150,800,60". The client then loads that area and puts you in that position. All the "multi-user" area's are just a really big map with multiple copies of the area loaded and the server just picks an "unused" copy to load you into. Simultaneously it sets a flag on your character so you can't interact with anything not flagged for your area, meaning you can run to the other areas just not interact with them.

What we think of as "instancing" is actually dynamic areas. This is where the server and client store a template of the area complete with scripts and all associated resources. When the client goes to load the server spins up a temporary version of that area and sends the randomized information to the client which then loads it locally. So "area 121, position 1150,800,60" becomes "template-121, number 58, starting position 1".

Sounds nice, but it's wrong. The older bcs that use burning circles, many of the CoP BCs, and some as new as WoTG (real lilith fight, not merit bc) work that way. Merit rematches of fights using this system(avatars, cop, AAs, etc) use the old system as well.

Many other contents do not. You load into a map with only one copy. The server instantiates(ooh, wonder where that word comes from?) multiple copies of the zone for however many people are doing the event. We cannot know their exact architecture, as Dazusu said, but they certainly are not using multiple copies of the region within the same map for most newer content. It's very easy to pull up the zone dats and see that there are not multiple copies of salvage, delve, ambuscade, new merit bcs, vagary, omen, dynamis-d, and pretty much everything else that's on the new end. Or, if that's above your head, enter it twice on different chars on the same server, and use an addon or plugin to verify your position is the same on both.

If you're suggesting the server tracks a larger array of positions than the map itself supports and sends the client fake positions to allow it to all be tracked, there's no evidence to support that. Enemy indices are also only listed once in these instances, so would also need to be modified. Player indices would need to be modified. It's significantly more complicated than creating a class that can be instantiated. You would need to provide some sort of evidence to back this up, since it's just wild speculation that cannot be confirmed with available data.
By RadialArcana 2020-06-13 08:13:08  
So someone on reddit found some "old" zone files in the dat files that I haven't seen before, don't know about any of the rest of you. I haven't found the files yet.

It's possible they aren't in a format that the viewers we have been using displays or maybe it's new zones they are working on for the 20th anniversary? We have all seen the area that has signposts to chocobo forest and sel phiner but not these.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxi/comments/h7p9rg/sel_phiner_and_other_unused_areas/

Sel Phiner:

https://imgur.com/a/C7EA7wp

Unknown Tower:

https://imgur.com/a/Tl25PHI

Unknown Castle/Crypt:

https://imgur.com/a/FuXAJJ2

Dat file near Sel Phiner's, potentially the "Chocobo Woods" that has been referenced before:

https://imgur.com/a/ohS5Zyp

--

These are the unused old files I was familiar with, not these ones above.

https://tcrf.net/Final_Fantasy_XI_(Windows)#ROM_0_29.DAT_-_s_fi
[+]
 Asura.Suteru
サーバ: Asura
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2020-06-13 08:47:45  
I wonder if they're on the original JP discs.
 Odin.Senaki
サーバ: Odin
user: Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-06-13 08:53:30  
The end has come guys! On Odin I am already seeing a decease in the price of select currencies! People keep selling 'em in mass!

*Note*: I have contributed to this by also selling in mass.
By Pantafernando 2020-06-13 11:13:32  
Natural.

Expect also the fall of delve and vagary mat prices due campaign (the first one) and RoE (second one).

Lustress scale is in huge risk of a good fall. Same with WoE gear/mats.

Dyna div though, i dont think its easy enough for any pickup to farm it, aside the time gate.

We gonna have ups and downs till we reach stability.
By RadialArcana 2020-06-13 17:44:50  
Seems the zone files are being found now due to an update in the zone viewer program, so they are old.
 Asura.Suteru
user: Suteru
By Asura.Suteru 2020-06-14 02:11:40  
Definitely old zones, not sure why that person has them, they're still missing from my game.
By Ozaii 2020-06-17 05:21:46  
Any news on planned bst changes or updates recently? Other than they still think it needs work.

Wrong forum page but meh this kinda works.
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-06-17 06:21:28  
Ozaii said: »
Any news on planned bst changes or updates recently? Other than they still think it needs work.

lolbst.
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-06-17 07:05:22  
Ozaii said: »

They have no clue what they are doing with our job.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-06-24 08:47:17  
Ok so we now have official confirmation of Odyssey part 2 coming in July.
Hopefully this will include the ilevel 125 items reforge.
Some items that could get really nice augments ...or complete failures.
But then again I still use some of these items even without the augs, so I can't see R15 make it worse. At worst I will just be disappointed and keep it unagumented lol.

Plus new adjustments to PLD, wut?
Looks like... a new JA? Not sure PLD needed that but hey, I sure won't complain.
The fact they keep on adjusting jobs gives me hope they will some day get to adjust BLU's buffs duration or NIN's WS.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-06-24 09:07:08  
On a different note, how do you guys expect they're gonna handle Sheol B?

I expect:
1) One more storeable entry KI (kinda like Omen), same KI used for either Sheol A or B
2) Same item (Lustreless Scales) used to upgrade the new items, but a larger number will be required (this will raise the price of scales again, for a few months)
3) Same mechanics as Sheol A, but different layouts of the floors, higher level of monsters.
4) Different set of NMs inside, larger/different types of possible monsters on the various floors, different beastmen too.
By Draylo 2020-06-24 10:36:16  
PLD maybe get a JA like rayke or gambit that can help the parties dmg output.
[+]
By ashcrow 2020-06-24 10:42:17  
Draylo said: »

Fencer Job traits would help too
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-06-24 10:45:51  
Would make no sense to give another gambit/rayke like JA for magic stuff though.
Maybe one for Physical damage, I dunno?

Not sure that would make PLD more fun to play, more effective as a tank or anything.

Not like Rayke/Gambit are the key parts of RUN either these days when you rarely see magic based strats used anymore, after all.
[+]
By Taint 2020-06-24 11:16:39  
3rd PLD adjustment?

This forum has provided all the answers but they just dance around them. (Or never see them)

100% a new currency for B.
[+]
By Draylo 2020-06-24 11:24:27  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Would make no sense to give another gambit/rayke like JA for magic stuff though.
Maybe one for Physical damage, I dunno?

Not sure that would make PLD more fun to play, more effective as a tank or anything.

Not like Rayke/Gambit are the key parts of RUN either these days when you rarely see magic based strats used anymore, after all.

It helps, certain fights still benefit from it. Magic damage is still used heavily in certain fights, just doesnt come from BLM anymore lol. Maybe a version for physical, but RUN has so many benefits that PLD cant cover these days
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-06-24 11:41:00  
I'm all for giving PLD new stuff to toy with.
I'm just not sure giving it a magic-thing like Gambit/Rayke would make sense, to me that feels like it's a RUN's unique thing.
If you start giving all tanks the same instruments with different animations and names then you will achieve more "balance" between tanks maybe but then you will kill the differentiation and homogeneize them too much.

Similar abilities to Rayke/Gambit but for physical might seem like it could be a nice tool for PLD, but I'm not entirely convinced.
After all Rayke/Gambit are particularly effective because Magic damage incurs into the reduced return from consecutive hits.
Physical damage generally doesn't have this effect, so it's hard to create a physical counterpart for Rayke at least.

I think they should proceed on the path of giving PLD unique and neat stuff rather than copying other jobs.
Like take Majesty, when they announced it we were all skeptic and said "WTF?!", turns out that it's actually a nice tool for PLD and quite fun to toy with.
Adds to the "uniqueness" of PLD.
More stuff like this plz! I can't think of anything but I hope they proceed this way, honestly.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Zeto
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Zeto 2020-06-24 15:11:48  
Oh boy! Who's excited for a PLD thing that basically does nothing!?!? I sure am! :D
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-06-24 15:14:42  
I'm all for giving PLD new stuff to toy with.
I'm just not sure giving it a magic-thing like Gambit/Rayke would make sense, to me that feels like it's a RUN's unique thing.
If you start giving all tanks the same instruments with different animations and names then you will achieve more "balance" between tanks maybe but then you will kill the differentiation and homogeneize them too much.

Similar abilities to Rayke/Gambit but for physical might seem like it could be a nice tool for PLD, but I'm not entirely convinced.
After all Rayke/Gambit are particularly effective because Magic damage incurs into the reduced return from consecutive hits.
Physical damage generally doesn't have this effect, so it's hard to create a physical counterpart for Rayke at least.

I think they should proceed on the path of giving PLD unique and neat stuff rather than copying other jobs.
Like take Majesty, when they announced it we were all skeptic and said "WTF?!", turns out that it's actually a nice tool for PLD and quite fun to toy with.
Adds to the "uniqueness" of PLD.
More stuff like this plz! I can't think of anything but I hope they proceed this way, honestly.

They could give Pld a Tomahawk-like ability for Physical Resist. Because honestly, who on War actually uses Tomahawk?
By Draylo 2020-06-24 15:19:32  
I wish they made pld a holy knight like from tactics. We need some Climhazzards and Holy Explosions
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lowen
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Rorrick
By Ragnarok.Lowen 2020-06-24 15:22:23  
It'd be neat if Divine magic wasn't completely useless, but I also don't want to have to start carrying around magic accuracy/attack gear on top of all the other crap I already do.
 Odin.Senaki
By Odin.Senaki 2020-06-24 15:26:48  
Ragnarok.Lowen said: »
It'd be neat if Divine magic wasn't completely useless, but I also don't want to have to start carrying around magic accuracy/attack gear on top of all the other crap I already do.

Atm I believe the only use of Holy magic is 'Flash' for tanking. And even then, it's amazing that mobs care so much about some half neked Run trying to Blind them.

"OMG he's trying to temporarily prevent my vision"!
*Ignores the guys literally stabbing the mob*
 Asura.Sirris
user: Safiyyah
By Asura.Sirris 2020-06-24 15:30:18  
I expect very little and I'm sure I'll be disappointed. Majesty was a neat little pickup but I think the job needs more. In particular paladin needs a counterpart to Foil. I'd also like to see Fealty on a shorter timer.

But honestly pally isn't in that terrible of shape compared to, like, ninja. Rune fencer is better overall but you can use PLD to tank most anything.

I really like this idea. They should give paladin an ability to increase the physical damage taken by a target and/or decrease a target's evasion. If PLD is supposed to be the physical tank, and RUN the magic tank, that would make sense.
 Fenrir.Melphina
サーバ: Fenrir
user: melphina
By Fenrir.Melphina 2020-06-24 15:42:40  
Quote:
2) Same item (Lustreless Scales) used to upgrade the new items, but a larger number will be required (this will raise the price of scales again, for a few months)

They could just as easily implement a new item for sheol B upgrades. The price of scales would stay the same, but the new item would command premium prices. Scales used to be 6-7 million gil a stack until supply caught up to demand, and a new item with full demand would fetch similar prices for a week or two. Both design paths are viable, and until we hear anything it's all just speculation.
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2020-06-24 16:23:37  
But then again I still use some of these items even without the augs, so I can't see R15 make it worse. At worst I will just be disappointed and keep it unagumented lol.

Looks like... a new JA? Not sure PLD needed that but hey, I sure won't complain.
The fact they keep on adjusting jobs gives me hope they will some day get to adjust BLU's buffs duration or NIN's WS.

In the screenshot that is Majesty and im 100% sure that same screenshot was used on the last PLD update so it could be adjustments to Majesty or them being lazy. Like others have said a JA that lowers mobs physical defenses would be great but i very much doubt it.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-06-24 16:32:10  
I really REALLY hope the MM I worked so hard for stays for Path B. Not that it appears to do much of anything. I guess it wouldn't make sense if it carried over, since it is categorized under A specifically.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2020-06-24 16:40:20  
Odin.Creaucent said: »

In the screenshot that is Majesty and im 100% sure that same screenshot was used on the last PLD update so it could be adjustments to Majesty or them being lazy. Like others have said a JA that lowers mobs physical defenses would be great but i very much doubt it.
The last PLD update didn't even make it on the update teaser picture. The rampart/Atonement update was in the same update as Siren and Mieru, the the image was a split of those two. In fact we didn't even know there would be PLD changes until they posted the list of items to be added. And the image in the actual update notes was of a PLD using Rampart.

The image used in the majesty update was of a PLD using cure. They've not used one of the actual Majesty animation before this that I'm aware of.

That aside, a PLD JA being used in the teaser image does suggest JA adjustments, likely to majesty, but possibly more. The last update didn't just update Rampart, but adjusted shield bash and Divine emblem recast as well.

I'd love to see some major updates, but minor changes like reducing some more JA recast would still be quite welcome. Chivalry and Fealty still have stupid long recasts.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-06-24 16:53:03  
Taint said: »

100% a new currency for B.

I agree. The name of the first currency aligns to this method as well, "Lustreless" indicating not impressive or shiny. Given that the Unity gear has different levels, the first being 122, I wouldn't be surprised if they followed the theme of "Semi-Polished scales", etc etc. SE is a sucker for themes on everything they do.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 142 143 144 ... 424 425 426