Blm Gear Advice
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Garuda.Antipika
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-09-25 08:02:40  
Korpg said:
All this information is nice and all that.....

but

You really should shoot for a end result. Thats basically what you are asking tbh.

This is my end result for nuking that I hope to achieve.

I mean sure, it requires some work. But if you are serious enough, you can do it.

Although, my current set isn't all that bad, its just not exactally the best, but hey, it still works.

He expressly said that he didn't want to hear about Morrigan.

Not everyone can do Salvage, it's not about difficulty, it's just that on some server you can't make a group working with your schedule. I would never ever be full Morrigan if I had a job... Living in EU, not many EU shell on Garuda, I had to Salvage during NA prime time, that means 4.30am~6am my time yeah. Couldn't server transfer just for Salvage since I was also involved in others events on Garuda.

Also I like my set more <3 http://www.ffxiah.com/members/?q=item_sets&set_id=106019

However that's not a dream set and it took me 9 months to get full morrigan (Aug > October then Jan > June). Salvaging 5 days a week from august to october, then 6~7 days a week from January to June.

So 9 months, 6 runs a week in average. My dedication was extreme, 100% attendance (I was salvaging on dec 24th, dec 25th, dec 31st, jan 1st...), was 1st in line for all my morrigan armor (I passed feets once to a friend, but doesn't matter since I was far from being 5/5, and I got feets right after legs (the day after lol)). 9 months = extreme dedication + first in line. Change one of these two parameter and you can make this 12~18 months. Off course extreme luck could drastically reduce this (maybe down to 4-5 months), just like bad luck could make this even worse (being kicked from you group, group breaking, missing a run where morrigan drops, etc.).

Can't tell everyone "just do Salvage". Takes way too much time and dedication. And if you do, better be leader and be sure to be 1st in line on all morrigan's armor or you're good to spend your life down there. I won't even talk about the gils issue, was np for me, I had millions. Not that easy for everyone. 2hr of salvage a day + Assault + farming gils = lot of time. If you do events like dynamis, limbus and ein at the same time, you need to play at least 4-5hr a day.
[+]
 Valefor.Integral
サーバ: Valefor
user: Caliber
By Valefor.Integral 2009-09-25 08:30:26  
yeah what antipika said, I did it for 2 or 3 months 6-7 days a week and it just sucks more and more killing the same nms every day and seeing nothing drop.. I mean you get lucky sometimes but if you dont enjoy salvage and only want the gear, its *** hard to keep getting AP to 'waste' on it
 Lakshmi.Aaroca
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Damii
By Lakshmi.Aaroca 2009-09-25 08:59:26  
I saw someone mention Magnetic Earring for conserve MP. Time to start cracking heads.
[+]
 Fenrir.Alijah
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-09-25 09:38:11  
Everything Antipika said, regarding Salvage. Some friends and I started a Salvage shell last June--we saw our 2nd Macha's Coat last week. 2 coats in over a year, and I've still got 2 more people ahead of me before I can start thinking about mine. --;

We run 5 days a week, which is pretty moderate compared to some shells. Just, sometimes, you get lucky with the drops, and sometimes, you don't. Here's hoping that stupid rat puts out a few more times before the end of this decade.
 Fairy.Basilo
サーバ: Fairy
user: Basilo
By Fairy.Basilo 2009-09-25 09:52:14  
Over 2 different shells Im at 8 demios cuirass to 1 macha coat, even I own demios cuirass dont even want it. Im sure others out there like that too. I lotted macha cuffs ahead of our other morri lotter in last shell, week later only macha coat we see dropped he got that, week after several more macha cuffs dropped by default of me not needing em he got em. He still hasnt appraised body oh well. New shell been going 7 runs for another demios cuirass and 2 35 hakama off chariot, ive taken the hakama ive just given up on macha coat, lotting it has put me in 3rd position for coat now over equal 1st between 3 ppl lotting.

Either way purely looking at the threads title the 1st thing that comes to mind is anyone seeking blm gear advice should just check the decent blms gear sets on their pages and work out for themselves why we chose what we chose in the sets.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-25 09:53:57  
i wouldnt sell Ixion cape or Witch sash once you have it <.< and for sure not for HQ staffs you wont use often. Those who are most important for BLM you have.
i dont like when ppl buy and sell their gear again and again.. just farm more and then get stuff like Pendant s.Ring, INT+5 Ring.
I would keep wearing this INT+1 earring until you get either a INT+2 one (maybe the sky one if you havent choose another or anything buyable) or until you get Novio.
Dont use Relic head fulltime once you get it, keep with you demon+1 or that new add-on head with INT/MAB; but its nice for you acc set for sure :)
You can improve your macc set aswell with obtaining af1+1 hands
 Pandemonium.Bonlack
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Bonlack
By Pandemonium.Bonlack 2009-09-25 11:47:28  
Blm gearing depends on alot of things. #1 your race, #2 the amount of money/time putting into Blm. I'm elvaan so naturally my blm blows. For head Moogle head, AF or AF+1 are all excellent pieces. Body Weskit of course. Hands Zenith hands down or goli/vicious then AF as last resort. Legs Errant and jets are really good. For earrings i use magnetic/moldy since i have rdm and whm i have magnetic. The conserve Mp kicks in quite a bit and spell interupt% plus 20mp is good. Back Ixion is the best then prism/rainbow. I just fulltime elemental torque but ugg pendant is good too. Rings Snowx2 or tamas/snow, if you got the gil 1 of those /sorcerers. Belt witchs sash is the best but penitents rope is extremely good for the lvl. Feet #1 yigit #2 Goliard #3 nashira #4 cobra unit. As i said all this depends on your race. Tarus dont need as much INT or elemental skill b/c they have a huge INT base. Also if you merit elemental skill 8/8 then can toss most ele skill gear for mab or INT. Elemental Skill is basically Acc for a nuke. INT is harder to determine but basically from what i've been told is INT = Macc and undtermined amount of damage. Mab is direct damage where as around 2INT = 1Mab. Plus need to merit potency of lightning/ice since those are the best blm spells. And i only have HQ thunder/ice/wind staves since those the only spells you HAVE to land. HQ dark is really good but for the most part dont really need it.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-25 13:39:18  
Bonlack said:
Wall-o-text

HQ dark is really good but for the most part dont really need it.

No. More potent Drains and Aspirs and more importantly more accurate sleeps. Take your lies elsewhere, it's one of the most critical staves for a BLM.

Agree with what Aaroca said about Magnetic Earring as well, it's a terrible earring and a waste of a reward choice.
[+]
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-09-25 14:01:51  
Nightfyre said:
Bonlack said:
Wall-o-text

No. More potent Drains and Aspirs and more importantly more accurate sleeps. Take your lies elsewhere, it's one of the most critical staves for a BLM.

Agree with what Aaroca said about Magnetic Earring as well, it's a terrible earring and a waste of a reward choice.

I agree with what you said except bolded. It may be a crap earring for BLM but that doesn't make it a crap earring, in general. For RDM or WHM mains, it's one of the better earrings. Ignoring the hard-to-obtain Roundels or Novia, and the expensive Communion earrings. And if you don't care for melee jobs, like myself, then the other ones are just useless to us.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-25 14:16:10  
Alijah said:
Nightfyre said:
Bonlack said:
Wall-o-text

I agree with what you said except bolded. It may be a crap earring for BLM but that doesn't make it a crap earring, in general. For RDM or WHM mains, it's one of the better earrings. Ignoring the hard-to-obtain Roundels or Novia, and the expensive Communion earrings. And if you don't care for melee jobs, like myself, then the other ones are just useless to us.

If you would care about RDM and say Communion earring is expensive then take Static Earring. Magnetic is just like a Antivenom+1 <.<
And beside that you forgot the nice Star Earring ^^ i love it even for BLM SS to have some more MP with MND^^
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-09-25 14:21:29  
Mindi said:
If you would care about RDM and say Communion earring is expensive then take Static Earring. Magnetic is just like a Antivenom+1 <.<

Orrrrr, I could buy the Communion earrings, which will only be used for Para/Slow/Stoneskin anyways, and keep the Magnetic for Haste/Refresh or any other non-stat dependent spells, and have them both.

I didn't say I wouldn't buy communion, just that Magnetic is not a waste if used properly.
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-25 14:25:17  
the 2 MDB makes the Static awsome in my eyes, 2MND is just a <3 on top of it. And beside that if you do SC MB stuff its a nice replace for Moldavite as BLM.
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-09-25 14:28:06  
Everyone plays their own way, and has their own decision, that's true enough. Am not saying anything you said was wrong, just that it's a little hasty to call something a stupid choice and a waste and whatnot if other people happen to find a use for it outside the general population. I was torn between the two for a while before decided to take the Magnetic because, as I said, could just buy the 2 MND from Communion/Star earring. So I tried to balance the decision out.

I DO agree that it's a complete waste on BLM though.

Edit: Hypocritical to call it waste, I suppose, since I did JUST SAY I shouldnt do that. So let's call it, "Less useful" on BLM.
[+]
 Odin.Eirwen
サーバ: Odin
user: dhkite
By Odin.Eirwen 2009-09-25 14:34:49  
I die a little inside whenever I see a BLM wearing an antivenom actively and allround. Same thing with Insomnia Earring on PLD. They can better get equipment to become a brick wall instead of raising HP and MP. That only covers a small dosis of what a mob can hit you with.

Anyway, we're here to help the OP, and I think there have been a lot of useful answers, dontcha think?
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-25 14:35:03  
Not saying its a waste, that someone else said. I'd just say its "less useful" for BLM (and RDM) idk about WHM what else they would wear... it might be nice for this Job when adding the ConserveMP up with the Jobtrait from /sch but beside this i really dont see a use for that earring what others buyable could give you.

Anyways... no BLm should choose this "just for BLM" since its only good for BLm (what i see) for... Enhancing/Standing(maxmp)/Cure
 Cerberus.Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2009-09-25 14:35:42  
Eirwen said:
I die a little inside whenever I see a BLM wearing an antivenom actively and allround. Same thing with Insomnia Earring on PLD. They can better get equipment to become a brick wall instead of raising HP and MP. That only covers a small dosis of what a mob can hit you with.

Anyway, we're here to help the OP, and I think there have been a lot of useful answers, dontcha think?

Antivenom is a resting Earring for BLM, nothing else nothing more
 Fenrir.Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-09-25 14:45:04  
Well my original comment was to Nightfyre, I just replied to other posts as I saw them come in.

As for OP, I have nothing to say that other people ahead of me haven't already said. So. o/ GL on Blm.
 Diabolos.Eclipstic
サーバ: Diabolos
user: eclipstic
By Diabolos.Eclipstic 2009-09-25 15:05:42  
as a general statement Acc > all. As you build up your blm gear and merits, keep in mind that Elemental magic skill will be the biggest determining factor in your resists. The ideal goal is to have 320 skill and 120 INT on a set. Focus on getting your 320 skill first, then slot in the INT where u can make improvements. BLM is very hard to just say "this is what u need". Constant changes are made as you obtain new gear. I am almost to where i want to be. This is the set i use for almost anything. I don't have one saved so just gonna type it out.
Staff - Aquilo's/Jupiter's/Pluto's
Ranged - Phantom Tathlum
Head - Wizard's Petasos +1 / Sorcerer's Petasos
Neck - Prudence Torque
Earring - Moldavite/Novio
Body - Igqira Weskit / Royal Redingote
Hands - Zenith Mitts
Rings - Snow Ring / Omega Ring
Back - Ixion Cape
Waist - Witch Sash
Legs - Mahatma Slops
Feet - Goliard Clogs

For food, i usually go with Cream Puffs
[+]
 Unicorn.Smurfo
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-09-25 15:10:20  
Dasva said:
Smurfo said:

Edit: nvm... if that is your current blm merits listed on your profile.. your priorities are fairly out of whack.. just having freeze and burst 2 does next to nothing for you except allowing you to say "i has it!"

Without pumping ice and thunder potency to beef it it's not bread and butter like it should be plus you obviously will want to do some elemental and enfeeble skills too so you don't fail to land good dmg on those spells.

Merits: (If that really is your current merit set) Is the FIRST place you need to start, NO amount of gear can make an unmerited blm anywhere near equal to a fully merited blm the difference is very distinct.

Also you won't be able to have a massive Epeen nuke set and not get resisted without some ele skill, won't be able to sleep or grav anything very well without a little enfeebles... etc etc.

Well Im just gunna have to disagree. Even without potency AM2 is nice to have just have a bigger spell the T4. Makes soloing a bit faster and easier.
Gear can overcome merit/job difference however keep in mind that the merited person can have that gear too and the easily obtainable/buyable stuff is closer to the best then the difference in merits will be.
As far as resistance depends entirely on what your fighting. Fighting puddings you can go all out on dmg easy and as long as that doesnt include something silly like -macc you should be fine

I see a AM2 cast with no potency or ele skill merited as a complete waste of MP. May just be me, but it is my opinion and nothing more.

As far as what i was saying NO gear can replace merits, this is 100% true you could have every single piece of the "best" buy-able AH items and get smoked by a merited, decently geared blm.

I see potency and ele skill as crucial merits much more so than AM2 (i.e. my T4 is probably about = if not > an unmerited blms AM2 so whats the point of having it over potency?)

Without those merits you will parse much lower than your max and its pretty much free, just takes a little time to greatly enhance your blm.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2009-09-25 16:16:05  
Alijah said:

Sorry, meant to tag on "for BLM" at the end of that sentence. Ethereal and Hollow have some value for mages as well, but Magnetic isn't a horrible choice for the above depending on your other jobs.
 Carbuncle.Cianti
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Cianti
By Carbuncle.Cianti 2009-09-25 17:08:32  
Whatever you get gearwise you should max out elemental skill merits and thunder and ice potency.

If you have sea access work on Obi's they can add alot of damage on. If morrigans is out of your reach then check my gear... its not the best you can get but its acceptable.
 Hades.Triet
サーバ: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-28 11:56:21  
As I am working on BLM to 75 next this guide is doing wonderful in allowing me to see how to gear it. Though, oddly I don't exactly understand the reasons behind BLM enfeebling sets (unless you're soloing then yeah).

Also I noticed that nearly everyone who shows their item sets have Bugard Strap +1 vs. corresponding elemental straps. I understand that the elemental grips only affect elemental magic, but is the INT+1 really a big difference?

Wouldn't mind a few pointers on my (intended) sets:
BLM Nuke
BLM Enfeeble
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-28 12:01:46  
Triet said:
As I am working on BLM to 75 next this guide is doing wonderful in allowing me to see how to gear it. Though, oddly I don't exactly understand the reasons behind BLM enfeebling sets (unless you're soloing then yeah).

Also I noticed that nearly everyone who shows their item sets have Bugard Strap +1 vs. corresponding elemental straps. I understand that the elemental grips only affect elemental magic, but is the INT+1 really a big difference?

Wouldn't mind a few pointers on my (intended) sets:
BLM Nuke
BLM Enfeeble

BLM Enfeebling = Sleep, Bind, Gravity. All good for solo, but Gravity also helps in groups when mana burning.

Elemental Strap = 2macc. 1 INT is better damage and a little less acc.

As far as your nuking set, Loq Earring is good for precast, then swapping to an INT+1 earring such as Morion or Phantom. Sorcerer's Petesos is good if you are fighting resistant mobs, but Demon Helm +1 would give you better damage. I assume you are not fighting resistant mobs since you are using Uggy pendant and not Ele torque.

As far as your ring/hands, if you arn't being resisted, Z.mitts and Diamond(Omniscient)/Snow ring.

Enfeebling set should get Igqira Tiara and Lappias to start, upgrade your spider to enfeebling torque, hands/feet/ring are good, and you can use the elemental grips for casting also.

Edit: Obviously if you arn't 8/8 Enfeebling and 8/8 Elemental merits magic accuracy will be more important to you. Those merits allow you to be able to equip more INT/MAB gear without as much concerns of resists.
 Siren.Enternius
サーバ: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-28 12:06:25  
Hypnotizd said:
Elemental Strap = 2macc. 1 INT is better damage and a little less acc.

I know it's kinda nitpicking, but 1 INT isn't better if you get a resist in the first place.

That being said, yeah, Bugard+1 is better.

Triet said:
I understand that the elemental grips only affect elemental magic

The wording of it ingame is kind of iffy...
What it means is that, say, Dark Grip would effect spells with dark element. Saying it's only Dark-based elemental magic would be a waste since that would only work for Noctohelix, lol.
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-28 12:39:14  
Whoops, forgot about sleep/bind; figured gravity was one reason, but I was right mostly for soloing purposes, and the occasional "certain" situations.

Okay I revised it according what you are pointing out. I wish there were more choices for mages' earrings who don't get the AA/AN earrings or the HQ earrings

Enternius said:
The wording of it ingame is kind of iffy...
What it means is that, say, Dark Grip would effect spells with dark element. Saying it's only Dark-based elemental magic would be a waste since that would only work for Noctohelix, lol.
Hmmm, a little off-subject, but would it still work with Bio as well?
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-28 12:41:10  
Triet said:

That was just my point. Anything with a black dot next to the spell in the list, provided ACC actually has any use for it, is affected by Dark Grip.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-09-28 12:43:45  
Triet said:

Any dark based spell would benefit from Dark Grip (as far as accuracy is concerned). Sleep, Blind, Bio, Aspir, Drain, Absorb-*, etc.

Your item sets look pretty good now. If you work towards that and the merits you'll be a pro BLM in no time =)
 Hades.Triet
By Hades.Triet 2009-09-28 12:51:18  
Okay, well then the "elemental" part in the description of the grips really throws people off, makes it seem like it's talking about elemental magic skill based spells.

Thank you guys for the assistance + knowledge. Time to finish up BLM!!!
 Asura.Deodate
サーバ: Asura
user: deodate
By Asura.Deodate 2009-09-28 12:53:24  
Triet said:
Okay, well then the "elemental" part in the description of the grips really throws people off, makes it seem like it's talking about elemental magic skill based spells.

Thank you guys for the assistance + knowledge. Time to finish up BLM!!!

light and dark are elements. hence elmental skill.

edit: it could be worded differently though. dark has always been a sort of outlier. i guess it would equate to divine skill for light "elemental" magic
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-09-28 12:54:03  
User submitted image

I think if they had written it as "Dark-elemental magic accuracy" or "Dark-based magic accuracy", it would be more obvious, because that's what it really means.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7