フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 94 95 96 ... 141 142 143
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-27 02:29:30  
Given Malignance and given the ~70 Acc RDM gets from Composure (which often people forget about) I think RDM is one of those jobs that can benefit from TP offhand sword with little to no sacrifice at all.

With this in mind, wouldn't Naegling be the clear winner for physical damage, spamming Savage Blade?
At least for group content.
In solo content the SC damage is nice and other weapons might be better, granted in this scenario we're not strictly talking about "physical damage" anymore lol.

Not sure how R15 Murgleis fares in that case (multistep), considering the "sacrifice" of keeping AM3 up.
Likewise I have no clue about Crocea's physical paths.

R15 Almace is pretty goddamn hot for solo content though, with constant back to back light to support what's normally pretty respectable physical damage from the WS itself (CDC).
Not sure what you would use OH for Almace, probably a Reisen sword with good augs though.

Edit:
If for whatever reason someone doesn't want to use TP bonus OH, then Sequence MH and any suitable OH is still pretty nice for physical damage in group content, wouldn't be surprised to see it second in the list, after Nageling/TPbonus.
Not sure what the best OH would be for Sequence MH. Probably a Reisen sword with good augments.
Tauret and Ternion+1 likely are very nice too (and Ternion+1 is supposedly getting augments soon as well!)
[+]
By Chimerawizard 2020-01-27 03:01:38  
Isn't Maxentius better than Naegling for physical damage, spamming Black Halo?
STR30% MND70% vs STR&MND50%
MultiAttack ftp+50% vs +15%

mostly because RDM gets a boatload of MND and only a modest amount of STR.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-27 03:13:38  
I tend to ignore anything that's not a sword for MH (lulz), but Maxentius is indeed an incredibly nice option for physical damage.
Last I remember reading tests about it, it was pretty up high in the list.
(can use TP bonus offhand with Maxentius too!)

I seem to recall in some circumstances it was actually better than Naegling/TPbonus.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-27 04:00:13  
As Elizabet pointed out, Naegling's attack bonus via buffs helps out RDM tremendously since it may not always cap attack on everything, so by default it becomes a better option in that case. Maxentius also comes with no base attack vs Naegling, making it even harder on rdm. If you're getting the appropriate buffs to make it worthwhile, the club is a monster though and will put out some impressive numbers. Kind of fun little arsenal of toys RDM now has access to, in Crocea, Naegling, Ullr, TP Bonus OH and Maxentius. Can really put together some nice stuff on the DPS side. And RDM is the most accurate job in the game, so it won't ever have content accuracy issues as long as it can land Distract III and use Composure.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-27 04:17:33  
Yeah uh, the thing with Distract3 is true but realistically you need to draw a line somewhere between buffing people, debuffing monsters and DPS.
You need to decide wether you wanna focus on buffs/debuffs/support and consider DPS icing on the cake (which means for some content you will hardly get a chance to DPS at all), or if you want to give more attention on DPS itself.

You can't realistically land all debuffs on every single target you fight AND keep Haste2 on the whole alliance AND pt relevant buffs (refresh3/phalanx2) AND expect to parse high in DPS.

Even with just Dia3 on all targets, i.e. no Distract3, RDM's acc is still pretty high if you ask me.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-27 04:30:51  
Not sure what any of that has to do with the statement made about RDM's accuracy.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-01-27 04:35:18  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Not sure what any of that has to do with the statement made about RDM's accuracy.
It has to do with the fact that imho you can't expect to have Distract3 up on every target 100% of the time on all content, unless you want your dps to take a hit.

I still believe that RDM's accuracy is still pretty nice even without that, thanks to Malignance set and Composure. Not the best maybe, but pretty high in the list.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-27 04:46:32  
I was just making a general statement about RDM's highest level of accuracy in compared to other jobs. No mention of content, other dps, solo or party or alliance, nothing. Just a simple fact that RDM has the potential to reach the highest levels of accuracy in the game, and it doesn't matter what other responsibilities you need to do. Since were talking about non-ilvl offhands, its in context with that discussion.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2020-01-27 05:52:04  
edit: never mind!
 Cerberus.Hideka
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-27 08:17:28  
how worth it is it to make a TP Bonus offhand for a savage set? I figure Crocea/Daybreak for Seraph, but for everything else?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-27 08:35:02  
Extremely worth it. Turns RDM into a very fun zerg monster, when properly buffed. Can all but replace a mid-tier DD spot in a party in most cases. Just look at the modifiers for Savage Blade/Black Halo at 2000TP and you'll see why the damage skyrockets. Same reason why COR deals absurd damage with their TP Bonus gun.
[+]
By tyalangan 2020-01-27 09:38:17  
Cerberus.Hideka said: »
but for everything else?
Maxentius/Thibron,Tauret for Black Halo, as well, which rivals Savage Blade for RDM.
Almace/Ternion+1,Tauret for CDC but if you don't want to get Almace you could probably get away with Naegling/Ternion+1,Tauret with the high damage, DEX, ACC, and ATK.
By SimonSes 2020-01-27 09:56:14  
tyalangan said: »
Naegling/Ternion+1,Tauret with the high damage, DEX, ACC, and ATK.

and attack bonus from buffs, which many (don't mean you) people still wrongly think only works for Savage Blade.
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-27 10:18:37  
Thanks for the info!

Im finally getting to the ends of redmage gear here, and my last two things to finish are my EA+1 set, my last two pieces of Amalric +1, some random omen gear, and my Savage blade sets, so every bit helps. oh and the damn Duelists +2/Crocea.... i like to not think of that 200m+ price tag for them combined waiting for me ;_;

i finally got my last dyna clear, so i can start pushin through this +3 Viti gear. Sadly tho im still stuck in the card slog. i've +2'd the head bod legs hands so far, and am saving for the +3 Hands now for savage.

Right now my savage blade set looks like this:

ItemSet 371036

i still dont have the regal earring, and i think i value having the Access to a fusion weaponskill more than the regal gem for wsing right now. Plus the +10 Str/dex on the kaja bow makes it really good for savage and CDC i think?

How worth it are the WSD Ring/Earring?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-27 10:34:14  
Shukuyu Ring is probably good enough if the price tag on Epaminonda's is too much to bother with. Can always do Karieyh if you care for comparable wsd so much, but it's fine. Ishvara is probably a nothingburger for Savage Blade when compared to Regal Earriing and probably Sherida to a lesser extent. The latter might even beat out Malignance perhaps, but idk. The bow is fine if you are locking ranged/ammo from swaps, otherwise it's annoying to have to deal with constant TP loss (which is why I believe standard set prioritizes Gem over Ullr?). Your set looks good though.

(as im comparing sets) I'm using Metalsinger + Carmine +1 feet Path B instead of Prosilio +1/Jhakri+2. Anyone know which combination is better for SB? I could be off on my sets, so just confirming. (also using +1 neck for the MND but i could be off there, someone can advise BIS set if you are able^^)
 Cerberus.Hideka
By Cerberus.Hideka 2020-01-27 10:45:54  
ive set my weapon slots up so that they dont change during cast if i'm currently engaged or my TP is over 1000 when unengaged. I also have a toggle that overrides that lock so that ill always swap regardless of the situation.

i think Jhakri should beat out carmine handily? I was under the impression that DA isnt a huge deal on WS for us since temper II?
[+]
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-01-27 10:51:39  
Unless you're using Empyreal Arrow for SCs, CDC actually benefits from Yetshila +1 quite a bit more than 10 dex on the bow. Regal Gem isn't too far behind for Savage Blade either.

I vacilate about Ishvara and Regal Earring quite often. I'd probably still not know between Malignance and Ishvara...

Epaminonda's Is going to be Bis ring, definitely able to replace Shukuyu. Kariyeh as well. Both rings would probably beat the rings you have in the set above.

Edit: I'd also look at possibly using atrophy gloves +3 1 less WSD, but +3 STR, +8 MND
 Cerberus.Shadowmeld
By Cerberus.Shadowmeld 2020-01-27 10:59:21  
Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
(as im comparing sets) I'm using Metalsinger + Carmine +1 feet Path B instead of Prosilio +1/Jhakri+2. Anyone know which combination is better for SB? I could be off on my sets, so just confirming. (also using +1 neck for the MND but i could be off there, someone can advise BIS set if you are able^^)

I'd probably use Metalsinger over Prosilio +1, It's probably pretty close to a wash on the first hit, and the 6% difference in DA in favor of Metalsinger probably makes it win. Either your attack is really low or it's capped, there's not really any in between for rdm imo.

Regarding the feet. Also kind of a wash. +11 STR/-10 MND, more acc, more attack, vs. 4%DA. If you don't need acc, I'd go Carmine, otherwise, probably carmine with Mask or Legs for the set bonus.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-01-27 11:10:59  
great critique, thanks Shadow
 Asura.Elizabet
user: Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-01-27 11:50:19  
For what it's worth... When my SB set wasn't great, the slots you are not using Jhakri (or not +2 jhakri), I have had good success with swapping in 1 or 2 Ayanmo +2 pieces (mostly playing around Feet/Helm/Body). Especially if you are using the Ayanmo Ring, if your choices of ring are limited, the Ayanmo ring can be a stellar low key easy access option.

Ayanmo Set:
Quote:
Bonus is +8 STR/VIT/MND for the first two pieces, with +8 added for every subsequent piece.

So if you wear the Hat for example (if you don't have +2/+3 JSE hat and are gearing up...) Then the ring becomes a +8STR/MMD, +6Acc ring. Not too shabby.

For a while I was using Ayanmo +2 Body + Ayanmo Ring in my set until I had reforged +3 body.
By eeternal 2020-01-27 17:09:39  
Much obliged guys for the feedback on AF priority
 Asura.Radamantis
By Asura.Radamantis 2020-01-28 04:37:23  
EK get them all! Dont be a slacker ! :P
By Fauve 2020-02-02 02:39:48  
Does enfeebling magic effect on gear like Regal Gem affect spells like Dia, Paralyze, Blind, and Slow?
By SimonSes 2020-02-02 04:44:40  
I find it very difficult to choose merits in merit2 category now.
Almost all categories would be great at 5/5.

Is duration for both enhancing and enfeebling additive to base spell duration and multiplied by all other bonuses? So enfeebling magic merits for example would make paralyze 165 sec duration base (30 from merits and 15 from Relic +3 head)? Same for enhancing?
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2020-02-02 06:23:41  
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Enhancing_Magic#Equipment_Bonuses

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Enfeebling_Magic#Formulas
[+]
 Bahamut.Aldy
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aldy
By Bahamut.Aldy 2020-02-02 10:25:53  
What are my best feet choices for Crocea Sanguine Blades? Amalric+1(with set bonus) or Vitiation +3? Do WSD Chironic Slippers come into play here?

Same question for feet on free nukes, I can't tell which is better to go with.
[+]
 Asura.Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-02 16:02:38  
Been seeing better with Viti Boots +3. Not only it has more MAB (even accounting for set bonus with amalric +1) but it's also got more MND and INT, which is also important.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-02 16:12:11  
I believe I had this discussion with a friend and Amalric +1 feet win vs Vitiation +3 for Sanguine when considering the set bonus from the other pieces of Amalric +1. It starts to get really close and in favor of Relic when you don't have the other pieces for bonus, because Vitiation +3 feet have higher STR and MND than Amalric +1, which are attribute modifiers for Sanguine along with MAB. RDM friend of mine was going Relic+3 feet + Jhakri +2 Legs, and he was able to come in higher than my Sanguines occasionally depending on the buffs he was getting (I was using full Amalric +1). But in general for Sanguine, Amalric +1 should be BIS.

i'll let someone else comment about free nukes
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2020-02-02 16:14:05  
Asura.Elizabet said: »
Been seeing better with Viti Boots +3. Not only it has more MAB (even accounting for set bonus with amalric +1) but it's also got more MND and INT, which is also important.

Relic +3 has 55MAB, Amalric +1 has 62 set with set bonus. How is relic higher?
 Asura.Elizabet
By Asura.Elizabet 2020-02-02 16:42:24  
My reasoning was if you already have body legs equipped (which should be imho), the 3rd piece only gives you an extra 10mab in the set bonus. So, boots + 10 is 42.

If you only have 1 amalric aside from the boots, the bonus gives you 20, so boots + 20 is 52.

Either is lower than 55.

EDIT: Nvm, brain is dead today and I forgot the augment path...

My result have been better with 2pc amal and viti boots. I suspect Crocea bonus putting more emphasis on mod stat being at play.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 94 95 96 ... 141 142 143