Jack of All Trades: A Guide to Red Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 120 121 122 ... 141 142 143
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-11 01:21:19  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Wonder if I still have a Contemplator somewhere on my mule, else it's gonna be a super pain to farm one, sigh.
I don't. Gdi it's gonna be such a pain to farm a new one. Why do I have this bad habit of trashing things only to regret it a few months later?

Anyway, who's got an updated Frazzle/Distract set with BiS gear? Wanna see if there's anything obvious that I'm missing.

ItemSet 375312

I think this is what I'm using?
Gets me at something like ~605 Enf Skill only, sadly.
Not sure what I could improve.

Path D Psycloth Legs for 5 more but I'm unsure.
Enfeebling Earring in place of Snotra for +3 but I'm not sure it's gonna be worth it.
Can you get enf skill on Chironic legs?
[+]
 Asura.Chendar
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2020-09-11 12:47:46  
That seems's pretty ideal to me, think I might still use Kaykaus gloves outside Sabo. There's just not a whole lot you can change without losing potency pieces tbh.

Psycloth Lappas pathB are good yea, +5 enfeeb at the cost of at most 7MND depending on augs. Enfeeb skill vs MND all depends on whether capping dMND is even feasible I guess.

Oseem says no to chiro enfeebling skill sadly.

EDIT: Never seen enf. skill from DM either, so I assume it's a weapon-only thing?

Anyway, for distract 600 vs 610(capped) skill is a difference of a whole 3 evasion, so if you can cap dMND going for that is likely gonna make a bigger difference. Then again base potency get multiplied by sabo while dMND doesn't so maybe it doesn't really make much difference.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-11 13:51:55  
Thought the cap was 625ish skill?
I guess Contemplator+1 will be +4 skill for sure.
Still wondering about Psycloth, I need to doublecheck my augs on Chironic. I seem to recall having a lot of MND and Macc there...
 Sylph.Theodren
サーバ: Sylph
user: theodren
By Sylph.Theodren 2020-09-11 13:52:06  
Contemplator is the only piece I'm truly excited for from this update. Thankfully I got one from a gobbie box a few years ago. Now I just need 50 bloods to HQ the thing.

I'll be dropping enfeebling earring (thank god, never felt good using a whole slot for 3 skill). Here's an updated set that I think should hit 610 skill exactly.

ItemSet 371662

Swapping lappas to chironic hose would be a very reasonable macc+ swap.
 Sylph.Theodren
サーバ: Sylph
user: theodren
By Sylph.Theodren 2020-09-11 13:57:35  
Asura.Chendar said: »
Oseem says no to chiro enfeebling skill sadly.

EDIT: Never seen enf. skill from DM either, so I assume it's a weapon-only thing?

Enfeeble augs on chironic hose would be epic. Don't think its possible though.
 Asura.Chendar
user: chendar
By Asura.Chendar 2020-09-11 14:00:29  
610 for distract3, 625 for frazzle3.
600 vs. 625 on frazzle is still only a 8meva- difference in base potency. That's all before sabo and enfeebling+ gear though, so it'll end up being a bit more obviously.
By LightningHelix 2020-09-11 18:56:52  
What Chironic Hose augments are worth chasing in 2020? (Next time there's a DM campaign, I mean.) It's MAcc to make it superior to Psycloth Lappas when either gets you over a skill hump, or the fancy stuff like Refresh, right? Seems like Amalric +1 beats it on MAB so it'll never be nuke pants even with a really good augment. Is there a chance for like WSD+MAB to make it insane for Seraph Blade?
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2020-09-11 19:03:47  
My Chironic Legs have "only" 2 MND and 33 Macc (and other non relevant stats).

Compared to Psycloth Lappas it should be ~15 macc difference, I already calculated the ~5 macc from the 18 Enf skill instead of 13.

How do the tiers on Dist3/Fraz3 work? I know 610/625 are the caps, but how large are the "tiers"?
I don't know ho to explain. For other spells you get +1 point every 10 skill for instance.
How many points of enf skill do you need to get a +1 in the values of Distract and Frazzle?

If those 5 enf skill points from Lappas allow me to get a +1 in Dist and Frazzle, then I could see it being worth it for "just" 15 less macc.
Not sure if I made my reasoning clear.
By Boshi 2020-09-11 19:05:10  
AND POISON TWO MOFOS
[+]
 Siren.Athen
サーバ: Siren
user: Athenair
By Siren.Athen 2020-09-14 19:59:21  
For nuking, is Maxentius still BiS (with Ammurapi shield), or is a R15 Septoptic+1 (with Ammurapi) better?
VIP
By Lili 2020-09-14 21:41:55  
Siren.Athen said: »
For nuking, is Maxentius still BiS (with Ammurapi shield), or is a R15 Septoptic+1 (with Ammurapi) better?

Daybreak + Ammurapi.

Septoptic +1 has 6 more MAB but half the mdmg of Daybreak, so it's possble it'll win a little bit for t5 nukes and lose a bit for 1-3, but the difference is going to be marginal and I for one am not going to bother with one more club.

Note that R15 Marin Staff +1 + Enki Strap is likely to win over any other option for Aero nukes.
[+]
 Shiva.Xelltrix
サーバ: Shiva
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-15 11:00:01  
Shouldn't Marin Staff +1 also win over Daybreak+Ammurapi for other nukes as well?

68 MAB 217 MDMG 37 INT at its maximum plus either the 10INT from Enki or 5 MAB from Niobid depending on the nuke Tier and monster target which would bring it up to:

68 MAB 217 MDMG 47 INT or 73MAB 217 MDMG

Versus

78 MAB 241 MDMG 13 INT for Daybreak/Ammurapi

Daybreak should be stronger for the weaker nukes that you hit the dINT on but I think Marin should win for the higher tier nukes of all elements.
 Bahamut.Turambar
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Turambar
By Bahamut.Turambar 2020-09-15 14:56:20  
Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
Shouldn't Marin Staff +1 also win over Daybreak+Ammurapi for other nukes as well?

68 MAB 217 MDMG 37 INT at its maximum plus either the 10INT from Enki or 5 MAB from Niobid depending on the nuke Tier and monster target which would bring it up to:

68 MAB 217 MDMG 47 INT or 73MAB 217 MDMG

Versus

78 MAB 241 MDMG 13 INT for Daybreak/Ammurapi

Daybreak should be stronger for the weaker nukes that you hit the dINT on but I think Marin should win for the higher tier nukes of all elements.

I'm hardly an expert, but I think the difference between them basically boils down to (mdmg+int)*mab. There's certainly a lot more involved, but it seems to me that it's an easy enough way to compare them.
(217+47)*0.68 = 179.52
(241+13)*0.78 = 198.12
Same reason Ammurapi is preferred over Culminus.
Day + Culm = 316 mDmg & 60 mab
(316+0)*0.6 = 189.6

Magic Atk. Bonus has a greater effect because it's multiplied vs. added. Or something.
 Shiva.Xelltrix
user: Xelltrix
By Shiva.Xelltrix 2020-09-15 15:29:34  
The formulas are out the BGwiki that have been completely accurate based off my own testing so I could just double check later to make sure, but my knee jerk reaction is to assume Marin is stronger.

On a related note, I haven't been able to get the magic burst formula to work reflect the numbers I get in game.
By Chimerawizard 2020-09-15 15:41:12  
Bahamut.Turambar said: »
Magic Atk. Bonus has a greater effect because it's multiplied vs. added. Or something.
Magic Atk. Bonus has a greater effect because it's generally the lower number.
5x5 > 4x6 > 3x7
10x3 > 7x4 > 5x5 however so don't count the higher term out just because their numbers aren't getting closer to being balanced.

That's all there is to magic damage really. it's simple math with bigger numbers.

Personally: Daybreak + Maxentius
By Sadistic667 2020-09-16 17:00:16  
Just an awesome node of current gearsets. Kudos to Crion

https://www.ffxiah.com/node/349
 Cerberus.Goldenfoon
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Goldenfoon 2020-09-16 17:14:41  
Sadistic667 said: »

I have been using this as my guide as well. To Crion thank you for creating this and keeping it up to date!
 Asura.Shaedhen
user: Shadowwww
By Asura.Shaedhen 2020-09-17 09:38:08  
Shiva.Xelltrix said: »
The formulas are out the BGwiki that have been completely accurate based off my own testing so I could just double check later to make sure, but my knee jerk reaction is to assume Marin is stronger.

On a related note, I haven't been able to get the magic burst formula to work reflect the numbers I get in game.

I don't know if there was already one or not, but I made a little spreadsheet based on the formula from BGwiki. It's nothing fancy but it might have some use for some people. It allows to compare 2 different setups (like Marin vs Daybreak).

I tested it with the examples of the Magic Damage wiki and it gives the correct results. Except for the third example with Magic Burst, but that's because in the example it uses a 1.3 multiplier for the 2step SC while it is mentioned before either 1.35 or 1.25 as modifier for a 2step SC (I have no idea which one is correct, however i used the 1.35 in the spreadsheet, it also mentions both 1.35 and 1.3 on the magic burst page so... I don't know, maybe I misunderstood something there). It also seems D is computed based on ΔINT for Freeze and not Freeze II. Anyway, I guess it's best to not use it for Magic Burst testing.

If anyone want to use it, here it is.

If you notice any error in it don't hesitate to modify it or to tell me and I'll do what I can.
I used the ΔINT table from BGWiki but there's missing values in it, so some spells will give incorrect results (all tier VI spells for example). Also the Helix I spells are not working yet because they use a separate ΔINT table that I didn't put in yet.
 Fenrir.Ramzus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2020-09-19 01:12:32  
Can anyone point me in the right direction for some low-midrange gear sets? A real life friend of mine just started playing and wants to play RDM. He's level 99 but has no ilvl gear, although he has a budget of 100M. I was thinking of bumrushing him a quick set of Jhakri +1 as a stopgap for 5/5 Malignance until he finishes all his missions and farms enough Omen and other endgame ***for JSE 119 stuff.

Other than that, where do I even start? I was thinking of maybe getting NQ Stikini Rings and a Duelist's Torque +1 (unaugmented, no Dyna D access) until we can just take him straight to a Torque +2 and augment it.
 Asura.Nuance
user: Crion
By Asura.Nuance 2020-09-19 01:32:27  
All that really comes to mind aside from ambuscade stuff is the Reisenjima oseem augment hell scape
 Fenrir.Ramzus
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2020-09-19 01:37:33  
What about accessories/weapons? I have a Vitiation Sword, but he definitely doesn't have 1200 JP to equip it. I was thinking of picking him up a Daybreak from the HTBF, too, but need something before that. Need to look into shield options asides from Ammurapi, too.

I'd be a lot less lost if I didn't just come back from a huge break myself.
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2020-09-19 02:12:01  
Fenrir.Ramzus said: »
What about accessories/weapons? I have a Vitiation Sword, but he definitely doesn't have 1200 JP to equip it. I was thinking of picking him up a Daybreak from the HTBF, too, but need something before that. Need to look into shield options asides from Ammurapi, too.

I'd be a lot less lost if I didn't just come back from a huge break myself.

With 100m starting on Rdm I would probably blow it this way on accessories.

spend 70m and just get the jse+2 neck, its just so dang good and you will waste time getting a +1. With big sums of money its better to grab something out of reach as you can pick up 1-5m items very quickly when your messing around with normal events and selling extra drops you dont need at the present (astrals, cards, etc)

I would then lv THF and semi gear it for Lilith solos. Honestly malignance is just to game changing for RDM and you really will want THF to farm her on E during the week. In between that you can be doing your daily; DI, Omen, Ody, ambuscade. You can also be doing your Weekly runs of x2 Dyna D.

Doing just those events alone will take months of work and gil will roll in from random upgrade matts which you can use to fund more gear.
 Fenrir.Aladeus
user: Aladeus
By Fenrir.Aladeus 2020-09-19 06:19:48  
Fenrir.Ramzus said: »

ramzus? o.o
 Asura.Nuance
By Asura.Nuance 2020-09-19 11:54:25  
My brain hasn’t been able to compute what’s viable for rdm below whatever I perceive to be bis for a long time

Edit;

Cerberus.Goldenfoon said: »
Sadistic667 said: »

I have been using this as my guide as well. To Crion thank you for creating this and keeping it up to date!

I’m not good with the BB code so it’s ugly sorry
By LightningHelix 2020-09-20 21:24:38  
Stupid question about that node (it owns, in general, so thank you!) - where's the DW cap from the TP sets coming in?

I mean the ones with noncapped magic haste (labelled "TP (30% Haste) 31 DW Needed /NIN & 35 Needed /DNC with Samba") - I see 10 on Sucellos's Cape, 7 from Reiki Yotai, 5 from Suppanomimi, and 4 from Taeon Boots. That's 17+9=26. Eabani Earring could push us over at the cost of Dedition/Sherida/Telos Earring, is it just not worth sacrificing the Store TP? I am unused to not basically doing whatever it takes to hit DW cap.
 Shiva.Ariaum
user: Ariaum
By Shiva.Ariaum 2020-09-20 21:36:22  
The aug on the feet is also DW I'd guess.
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2020-09-20 21:37:01  
taeon can get 5 DW augment
[+]
 Asura.Nuance
By Asura.Nuance 2020-09-20 23:48:14  
I’ve not even made it half way through the gear explaining what augments where etc not much time to play lately much less tinker here
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2020-09-21 07:13:53  
RDM is weird like that. To hit DW cap you might make sacrifices you would think wouldn't be worth it, but when you test it, often times they are.

So as Austar pointed out Taeon can get DW augments; the feet start with 4 for a total of 9.

Carmine Cuisses give DW 6 with the right path, but they do not have as much gear haste as Malignance/Ayanmo, so if you are making that gear trade for DW, you may need to make other adjustments.

The tricky part is when you start factoring in Orpheus's sash into sets. A good compromise is 4/5 Malignance besides boots:

10 DW Cape + 9 Earrings + 9 DW Taeon feet puts you pretty close to 31 DW while leaving the waist slot open.

If you can spare the slot, 10 DW Cape + 9 DW feet + 7 Yotai + 5 Suppanomimi is 31 DW.
 Asura.Byrne
By Asura.Byrne 2020-09-21 07:31:09  
LightningHelix said: »
Stupid question about that node (it owns, in general, so thank you!) - where's the DW cap from the TP sets coming in?

I mean the ones with noncapped magic haste (labelled "TP (30% Haste) 31 DW Needed /NIN & 35 Needed /DNC with Samba") - I see 10 on Sucellos's Cape, 7 from Reiki Yotai, 5 from Suppanomimi, and 4 from Taeon Boots. That's 17+9=26. Eabani Earring could push us over at the cost of Dedition/Sherida/Telos Earring, is it just not worth sacrificing the Store TP? I am unused to not basically doing whatever it takes to hit DW cap.

Also to be more direct, even tiny differences in swing speed matter quite a bit at the extreme end. A difference of 1% is not a delta of 1%. It's 20% vs 21%, so it's more like a 4% loss.

Though, when you stack DW, it lowers your TP per hit to a degree before you even consider that you are trading STP to gain that DW, so in practice it's not quite as steep as 4%/point... but it is defninitely noticeable, and you can see how being more than 2 or 3% behind swing speed cap is a problem. Also, due to RDM getting lots of white damage due to enspells, you have more incentive to be swinging as quickly as you can be.

That said, you don't want to overstack DW, because the detriment to TP/hit continues to apply beyond the point where it stops making you swing faster, making it purely a loss after that point.
First Page 2 3 ... 120 121 122 ... 141 142 143