So You Wanna Tank On PUP?

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Puppet Master » So you wanna tank on PUP?
So you wanna tank on PUP?
First Page 2 3 4 ... 18 19 20
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-16 08:51:43  
YouTube Video Placeholder

I don't consider it impressive at all, but we took some videos of stuff we did the other night. Here is my automaton tanking Fleetstalker, a 135 mob in Escha Zi'tah. He drops Penetrating Cape, which is the best Automaton DD focused back piece so long as you don't need the acc from Karagoz +1.

Tanking is pretty boring with Automatons on high level content, so I've taken to crafting after I am set up. I suggest you also find something else to do while the rest of your party kills it.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2015-10-16 09:59:03  
Looks like your auto did a pretty good job of holding hate. Did you melee the whole fight or just part?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-16 11:04:15  
I spent most of the fight skilling up woodworking. No melee.
 Shiva.Rickis
サーバ: Shiva
user: Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-16 11:09:23  
Tru, how did you many pet ws damage like 8k? i saw you said that in another post. that is mostly from JP?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-16 21:29:51  
I apologize, Rickis, but I am not quite sure what you are asking me.
[+]
 Leviathan.Krysten
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-16 21:49:28  
my auto holds hate very well with only bst being able to break it (due to spamming) also tanks SR really well, so far ive only done as a 2nd tank/dd helps tho to have Augusts no quater on pet instead of the other tank saves it a bit

we were pup war geo rng rng whm
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-16 21:50:19  
Tru he is asking you "how did you manage to do 8k pet WS's?"
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-17 05:09:23  
Leviathan.Krysten said: »
Tru he is asking you "how did you manage to do 8k pet WS's?"
yes Tru, that's what i was asking :)
my pup is at around 130 job points but i can never make such damage on puppet...
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-17 05:35:06  
im at about 340 jps and doing about 2k-3k on apex crawlers give or take with String shredder/bone crusher

really depends the mob for me
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 09:30:18  

While it is certainly possible to do high damage with Automatons, large numbers are almost never the priority. Unless you want to close absurdly powerful skillchains, which is certainly a thing sometimes. Your focus should be on consistent damage.

I just did those this morning for proof so that people won't think I was pulling numbers out of my ***. No buffs, not even food. You won't average anywhere near that, btw. Not solo anyhow. You can get those numbers with Overdrive or with buffs easily enough though. You more or less need Flame Holder to get that kind of damage solo, or AM3 for Bone Crusher or Stringshredder. String Clipper might actually be the most powerful automaton WS with AM3, but I'm not going to bother to test it. It's simply meant as an illustration. Although I am kinda curious how much more I could do if I had a Geo helping me with this setup. Might be useful for starting fights if nothing else.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-17 09:35:21  
Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia said: »

While it is certainly possible to do high damage with Automatons, large numbers are almost never the priority. Unless you want to close absurdly powerful skillchains, which is certainly a thing sometimes. Your focus should be on consistent damage.

I just did those this morning for proof so that people won't think I was pulling numbers out of my ***. No buffs, not even food. You won't average anywhere near that, btw. Not solo anyhow. You can get those numbers with Overdrive or with buffs easily enough though. You more or less need Flame Holder to get that kind of damage solo, or AM3 for Bone Crusher or Stringshredder. String Clipper might actually be the most powerful automaton WS with AM3, but I'm not going to bother to test it. It's simply meant as an illustration. Although I am kinda curious how much more I could do if I had a Geo helping me with this setup. Might be useful for starting fights if nothing else.

thanks tru, so is it normal if i got 2-4k on SS or BC on my puppet? at around 120 JP. I am thinking if it's the JP which make the difference
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 09:47:14  
Shiva.Rickis said: »

thanks tru, so is it normal if i got 2-4k on SS or BC on my puppet? at around 120 JP. I am thinking if it's the JP which make the difference

2-4k is norm for average Stringshredders or Bone Crushers without any support. Bone Crusher is SIGNIFICANTLY better than String Shredder, as it doesn't rely on criticals to deal high damage. It also scales better the more you pump into it. Since there isn't a good way to raise Automaton stats either, it's essentially irrelevant that the mod for it is 60%VIT. I'm using flame holder in the examples I posted since I didn't have access to a Geomancer. You can probably get numbers close to what I posted by using Flame Holder also. It's just not practical for anything other than starting fights.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-17 11:21:48  
Shiva.Rickis said: »

2-4k is norm for average Stringshredders or Bone Crushers without any support. Bone Crusher is SIGNIFICANTLY better than String Shredder, as it doesn't rely on criticals to deal high damage. It also scales better the more you pump into it. Since there isn't a good way to raise Automaton stats either, it's essentially irrelevant that the mod for it is 60%VIT. I'm using flame holder in the examples I posted since I didn't have access to a Geomancer. You can probably get numbers close to what I posted by using Flame Holder also. It's just not practical for anything other than starting fights.

Understand, thanks Tru
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 13:52:28  

After nine tries I managed to finally get DT5% on these. This makes them a SIGNIFICANTLY better option for PUP tanking over trying to get DT5% of Skirmish H2H.
[+]
 Asura.Womwom
サーバ: Asura
user: Eilan
By Asura.Womwom 2015-10-17 15:40:27  
I get the random 6-8k Bone Crushers as well, but my priority isn't the damge as has been mentioned. I'm more focused on having Fritz hold hate like a good little slave while I do the primary damage. AM3 up and 2 lights and a fire pretty much guarantee myself safety and have to rarely repair HP with the regen from lights going. I am interested in your attachment setup, though, Tru, as well as yours or anyone's personal gear. I've been behind in all the new shiny stuff because of school and not sure what is outdated and whatnot. I'm about to clear 500 JP and noticed a good boost from auto once I got the Phys att and acc bonuses at 360 and 405. Keep pushing those points.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 16:37:54  
Asura.Womwom said: »
I get the random 6-8k Bone Crushers as well, but my priority isn't the damge as has been mentioned. I'm more focused on having Fritz hold hate like a good little slave while I do the primary damage. AM3 up and 2 lights and a fire pretty much guarantee myself safety and have to rarely repair HP with the regen from lights going. I am interested in your attachment setup, though, Tru, as well as yours or anyone's personal gear. I've been behind in all the new shiny stuff because of school and not sure what is outdated and whatnot. I'm about to clear 500 JP and noticed a good boost from auto once I got the Phys att and acc bonuses at 360 and 405. Keep pushing those points.

Attachments vary a lot based on what I am doing, but my super tanking setup that I use for everything high tier EXCEPT Kirin is:

Soulsoother/Valor Edge

Strobe
Strobe II
Armor Plate III
Armor Plate IV
Auto Repair Kit III
Auto Repair Kit IV
Optic Fiber
Heatsink
Mana Jammer III
Mana Jammer IV
Galvanizer
Barrier Module
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Beaztmaster
By Quetzalcoatl.Beaztmaster 2015-10-17 16:41:07  
The Galvanizer's effectiveness increases by about 9.8% when you craft while tanking.

[+]
 Asura.Womwom
By Asura.Womwom 2015-10-17 16:51:47  
Interesting. You don't bother with attack+ attachments and still pull off large-ish numbers? I'll have to play around with that and see if it really makes a huge diff. When I'm on PUP again I'll run down what I use.
By darthmaull 2015-10-17 17:00:52  
So you can tank the sky gods v2? I went to an event with Pup on the Byakko version and it made me stop playing Pup. Everyone's accuracy was low and when we started to wipe I switched to tanking mode but it didn't help. My auto could not take it's hits. We all went down. Prior to that I felt my auto was pretty durable but if it cant tank the sky gods then I don't have much faith in it doing other Escha higher tier NM.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 17:07:22  
Interesting. You don't bother with attack+ attachments and still pull off large-ish numbers? I'll have to play around with that and see if it really makes a huge diff. When I'm on PUP again I'll run down what I use.

No, that's my super tank puppet for doing 135+ content. His only purpose is to not die and to hold hate.
 Shiva.Rickis
By Shiva.Rickis 2015-10-17 17:16:13  

Attachments vary a lot based on what I am doing, but my super tanking setup that I use for everything high tier EXCEPT Kirin is:

Soulsoother/Valor Edge

Strobe
Strobe II
Armor Plate III
Armor Plate IV
Auto Repair Kit III
Auto Repair Kit IV
Optic Fiber
Heatsink
Mana Jammer III
Mana Jammer IV
Galvanizer
Barrier Module

this super tank needs 1200 jp i guess?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 18:27:37  
Yup.
 Asura.Womwom
By Asura.Womwom 2015-10-17 18:46:33  
What about master gear? I have no rawhide gear and no idea if there is anything optimal for master-use that benefits both master and pet.
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 19:14:47  
What about master gear? I have no rawhide gear and no idea if there is anything optimal for master-use that benefits both master and pet.

Kind of a hard question to answer. I'm not a fan of hybrid gear, honestly. There isn't really a reason to use it, except when you are doing something hard enough that you need the combined damage of both yourself and your puppet going at full tilt to win. Which is like, nothing pretty much. Nothing relevant anyway.

The other reason would be if you both needed large amounts of accuracy. If you both needed large amounts of accuracy.

ItemSet 338751

That'll give you a pretty good amount of accuracy for both yourself and your automaton. H2H can't be setup to give both pet and master accuracy, so figure out from there which H2H you want to use.

Rao path C, Rawhide path C
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-17 20:23:23  
that supertank setup doesnt have any acc issues?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia
By Quetzalcoatl.Trulusia 2015-10-17 21:08:46  
darthmaull said: »
So you can tank the sky gods v2? I went to an event with Pup on the Byakko version and it made me stop playing Pup. Everyone's accuracy was low and when we started to wipe I switched to tanking mode but it didn't help. My auto could not take it's hits. We all went down. Prior to that I felt my auto was pretty durable but if it cant tank the sky gods then I don't have much faith in it doing other Escha higher tier NM.

YouTube Video Placeholder

Pup can indeed tank Byakko. A bit messy at the start as my gear wasn't switching around for some reason, maneuvers dropped, dt set wasn't equipping for some reason.

Leviathan.Krysten said: »
that supertank setup doesnt have any acc issues?

Yes, damage is a shitty way to hold hate on content at 135+, which is when you would use that setup. So yes, there are accuracy issues, but it's irrelevant.
By Sammeh 2015-10-17 21:10:39  
We did pretty awesome. Bit rough start, I think we skill-chained a little early and should have let Tru get a little more hate. After first couple minutes this was very smooth.
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Flyingsquirrel 2015-10-18 17:11:23  

After nine tries I managed to finally get DT5% on these. This makes them a SIGNIFICANTLY better option for PUP tanking over trying to get DT5% of Skirmish H2H.

Good, I knew I wasn't crazy
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2015-10-18 20:15:05  

Possibly easier to obtain (though still at the mercy of the RNG), but how are they better than Ohrmazd that can get the exact same pet DT-5% PLUS two other augments (e.g. mine with pet Acc+20something and STR/DEX/VIT+15)?

For that matter, I'd prob recommend Midnights D to people who don't want to bother with Ohrmazd augs. A little less pet DT, but the acc/atk, maneuver attribute +2 effect, and reduced overload are a pretty nice mix. As escha weapons go, fairly easy to get too since they drop from a fairly popular mob (thanks to carmine legs abj). And zero random hassle after you get it, just toss the lixir at them.
 Leviathan.Krysten
By Leviathan.Krysten 2015-10-18 20:20:52  
Midnights are 200% better

midnights and Denouements are my to go Weapons for pup
First Page 2 3 4 ... 18 19 20