users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
Power Rangers: A Guide to Pewing
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 130 131 132
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-06-01 17:43:02  
wait- you're surprised that wildfire with your "completed" (assuming that means afterglowed) Gastraphetes did more damage than wildfire with your lv90 Armageddon? (parsing your two posts). The base damage difference between the two weapons, plus an additional 30MAB in the build using Quelling Bolts vs Chrono Bullets would be completely impossible to beat for a lv90 weapon.

Comparing AG versions to eachother, My Wildfires on Arma only slightly edge out those on Gastraphetes, with buffs like Wizard's Roll and GEO-Acumen pushing it more in favor of the Armageddon. Fewer buffs, and the Gastra shines more.

The real power of Wildfire is how incredibly well it skillchains with damn near everyone, so for mixed setups or if you are putting more dps responsibility on a burster, it can really open things up.
[+]
 Odin.Slore
サーバ: Odin
user: Slore
By Odin.Slore 2018-06-01 17:51:55  
Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
wait- you're surprised that wildfire with your "completed" (assuming that means afterglowed) Gastraphetes did more damage than wildfire with your lv90 Armageddon? (parsing your two posts). The base damage difference between the two weapons, plus an additional 30MAB in the build using Quelling Bolts vs Chrono Bullets would be completely impossible to beat for a lv90 weapon.

Comparing AG versions to eachother, My Wildfires on Arma only slightly edge out those on Gastraphetes, with buffs like Wizard's Roll and GEO-Acumen pushing it more in favor of the Armageddon. Fewer buffs, and the Gastra shines more.

The real power of Wildfire is how incredibly well it skillchains with damn near everyone, so for mixed setups or if you are putting more dps responsibility on a burster, it can really open things up.

No no. I was looking for input from someone who has afterglowed arma compared to afterglow gastra. I do have gastra ag'd but I have not upgraded my arma because I cannot find anyone that uses it to see if it is worth it or to continue to use gastra.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-06-01 18:37:00  
Armageddon is like a finicky italian sportscar being compared against something like Fomalhaut, which is straight american muscle, or Annihilator, which is like a reliable german luxury car.

Under certain circumstances with a great support team and the right driver, the italian sportscar is gonna win the race. But more times than not, that heavy american muscle is just gonna win with a leadfoot at the wheel. And that german luxury sedan? You know what you get with it every time you sit in it, and it never disappoints, and any idiot can safely drive it.

Moral of the story- Armageddon in the right hands with unique aftermath setups and proper support can win the day, but its not nearly as direct of a path to DPS victory as other options.
[+]
 Asura.Topace
サーバ: Asura
user: Topace
By Asura.Topace 2018-06-08 16:40:49  
Not really sure how the calulations go. But I gave up Macc+16 Mab+25 on herc feet for Mab+10 Macc+23 WSD+4 I hope I did the right thing?
By clearlyamule 2018-06-08 16:53:44  
Nope. Should have multiples to keep close ones of different stats to swap and compare! I joke somewhat but that is really a good idea.

Also that is close enough where it's really hard to say without knowing your stats/gear and what ws you are refereeing to. Unless it's hot shot then you definitely made the right choice
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2018-06-08 17:10:22  
clearlyamule said: »
Nope. Should have multiples to keep close ones of different stats to swap and compare! I joke somewhat but that is really a good idea.

Also that is close enough where it's really hard to say without knowing your stats/gear and what ws you are refereeing to. Unless it's hot shot then you definitely made the right choice
For trueflight^^

My current set looks like

ItemSet 350958

With the herc pants having MAB+41 Macc+13 and my new feet having Mab+10 WSD+4.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-06-08 18:10:18  
I have 2 pair of herc boots that I use for Trueflight. I've found my dark matter aug of +47MAB with zero weapon skill damage currently beats my really good fern aug of 15MAB,5WSD IF I'm using af+3 head and relic+3 legs. If I use herc pieces with a mix of MAB/WSD, then the fern pair win.

Trueflight is all about finding that balance of stats. That's why for some the Eschan Stone is the best non-weather waist option while for others its the Sveltesse Gouriz+1. There's never an exact exchange of how much MAB equals one WSD.
[+]
By deathangle 2018-06-13 09:31:18  
Hello, I am returning to the game and play the ranger. I recently tried getting the Auto Ra by snaps to work but it seems I am dumb and cant figure it out/cant figure out how to use GearSwap. I tried looking up tutorials but still dont understand it was wondering if anyone would be nice enough to pm and maybe it explain how to get the Auto RA to work.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-06-13 12:17:09  
At work directx but will post both sets and numbers on some fodder test mobs tonight. It's about 1200 dmg iirc.
By clearlyamule 2018-06-13 12:32:31  
Asura.Topace said: »
For trueflight^^

My current set looks like

ItemSet 350958

With the herc pants having MAB+41 Macc+13 and my new feet having Mab+10 WSD+4.

General formula for base dmg going to be dmg= 2*dagi + ftp*(lvl/ilvl factor +wsc) + mdmg

With ilvl factor being 201 for 119 weapon. Then you multiply by standard magic multipliers and wsd... not sure if order has been determined for ws.

Anyways you didn't really say but I'll assume all those SR pieces are max augs and the cape is 30 agi and 10 wsd and the moonshade has 4 mab. That would put your gear minus feet augments at 391 mdmg, 255 mab, 210 agi and 20 wsd. My rng/dnc has a base 113 agi and assuming no mab buffs day/weather etc and 1k tp and mob agi of 150

Macc+16 Mab+25 on herc feet should do around 12425

and Mab+10 Macc+23 WSD+4 should do around 12333

This of course is more like a close approximate since I didn't bother flooring since I don't know if we know order and also because I made up a mob agi. And adjusting mab/wsd will have decent effect on these matchups

DirectX said: »
With such comparisons are you talking a matter of a few hundred damage points or 2-3k?
Really going to depend a lot on how much dmg you are doing so most these swaps are percentage changes and what swaps/comparisons you talking about but assuming unbuffed usually a few hundred up to a couple of thousand

Post deleted by User.
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-06-13 14:06:26  
It's about 1200 dmg iirc.

So for non-autistic players either piece in these cases is fine really?

The answer you're looking for is yes. The answer they will give you is no.

The difference between BIS and slightly behind BIS is really negligible. But if you ask about it; IT'S THE ONLY THING YOU CAN USE!!!!!!!!!

DPS on paper is never correct. Take one extra second to fire after you hit 1k tp and you already lost that 1200 point advantage.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-06-13 14:16:30  
Already lost way more than 1200 just by using the worst REMA for true flight. So I'd assume this was just a trying to get decent dmg for a ws that is likely only being used as part of a skillchain occasionally in that setup
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2018-06-13 14:28:50  
The really shitty part is the bullets. No good MAB bullets.

#petition for WSDbullets
By clearlyamule 2018-06-13 14:48:57  
I want to do something really revolutionary... have the bullets ilvl count along with the weapon. Also base macc off that instead of mainhand. Like wtf is my ranged ws macc based on my dagger when physical is the gun. Just cause it's magical don't mean I'm shooting bullets out of my hand
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-06-13 14:59:18  
1. make all bullets jobless. Then I can use living bullets for Truefight and wildfire with guns.

2. The 1200 figure i threw out there is just ballpark memory from when I was trying to beat a capped Samnhua Coat. Percentage wise we're talking about 6-7% difference in total damage. And of course we're talking minuscule differences... But that's what this game is right? Squeezing whatever you can out of the ketchup packet.

3.Trueflight doesn't work on a straight dAGI... Its actually comparing pAGI to mINT. Easy test is go with a BLM and do 3 Trueflights at the same TP- clean, no debuffs, one after BLM casts Frost (lowers agility of the mob), and one after the BLM casts Burn (lowers intelligence). The latter will do the most damage.
By clearlyamule 2018-06-13 15:01:14  
er yeah forgot about how all the ws were vs mob int people just assumed same stat but never changed the name of term

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-06-13 18:35:33  
1. make all bullets jobless. Then I can use living bullets for Truefight and wildfire with guns.
THF will start shooting things then??

I'd be more worried about ninja, unless you're gonna make crossbow bolts fit my crazy rules. Although my THF does have a last stand set.
By clearlyamule 2018-06-13 19:18:21  
Donar gun yo!
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Anza
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-06-13 19:25:40  
clearlyamule said: »
Already lost way more than 1200 just by using the worst REMA for true flight. So I'd assume this was just a trying to get decent dmg for a ws that is likely only being used as part of a skillchain occasionally in that setup

To be fair, some people have Anni as their only marksmanship RMEA, or maybe they just want to use Anni for a particular fight for enmity purposes or something (but still pepper in the occasional TF). TF might still be their best damage WS for that gun in their situation, and still worth using reasonable efforts to optimize a WS set. Even though you're correct that TF would perform better with any of the other marksmanship RMEAs.
By clearlyamule 2018-06-13 21:30:31  
Perhaps I could be more clear.

I wasn't saying people couldn't not have others or that Anni doesn't have it's uses.

Just that by the time you are putting that much effort into small optimization going back and forth on stats as you swap other slots getting high value Oseem augments and HQ abjs for TF you've passed the point of making another REM.

If you are still interested in Anni TF sets it would seem mostly for fights/events where you will mostly be using Coro but occasionally have need of TF. Some people will still want to optimize for such but I'd imagine would be low priority being it's niche and not even main ws in that situation
 Asura.Topace
By Asura.Topace 2018-06-14 07:15:53  
I mainly use anni for trueflight because I use coronach before hand to avoid hate. I suppose I can try for my doomsday and aug it with AGI,MAB,WSD. Is that what people use outside of gastra?
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2018-06-14 07:35:27  
Asura.Topace said: »
I mainly use anni for trueflight because I use coronach before hand to avoid hate. I suppose I can try for my doomsday and aug it with AGI,MAB,WSD. Is that what people use outside of gastra?

Foma outside of gastra
[+]
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-06-14 16:11:39  
I never love the short and sweet "go get a RMEA" answer. Even though it's generally true, you're asking for something that's not exactly easy to obtain. So, providing the best non-RMEA option is also relevant. And in that case, yeah Doomsday is your best non-RMEA call for TF/WF (and it's a very nice COR non-RMEA gun for Leaden Salute).

Honestly though, I'd probably still stick to Annihilator most of the time - even with weaker Trueflights, I'd expect that Anni's (a) massive Skill/Racc/Ratk advantage and (b) enmity utility make it the better overall choice in the vast majority of situations.

If RMEA *are* reasonably within your grasp:
Fomalhaut, Gastraphetes, and Armageddon are all very good all-around weapons, with their own niches within the realm of great all-purpose performance.

Obviously Gastra is by far the best option solely as far as TF is concerned.

Second place for TF is considerably closer between Foma/Arma, and it's probably wise to select between those two more based on their *other* aspects. Foma is easier to use in general and best for Last Stand/Radiance. Arma is better for racc and a monster for white damage (which is far from insignificant with frequent triple damage crit procs), though requires a little more finesse in managing AM3.

It's worth mentioning too that magical WS are significantly less of a hate magnet than physical WS (i.e. Last Stand spam, Foma's optimal use case). That means you might not necessarily NEED as much enmity management if you're using TF spam, regardless of weapon (as opposed to something where you're going gung ho with Last Stand). Particularly for Armageddon, I tend not to find enmity issues to be a huge concern in the vast majority of fights due to (a) the strong TF performance (naturally somewhat reduced enmity from WS) plus (b) the white damage doing a higher proportion of overall damage, thus giving you the best Decoy Shot performance (assuming you can use Decoy to a reasonable extent). It's no Anni/Coronach with respect to enmity, and nothing else ever will touch that, but most of the time I find Arma satisfactory for enmity and an overall increase in DPS for a really great balance for any ranged task.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2018-06-14 16:33:51  
On the topic of magical ws... it actually doesn't get too far from coronach. Been awhile since I did the math and will depend on sets and some assumptions on formulas have changed (based on limited testing done awhile ago) but iirc it was only around like 2x total emnity
[+]
 Leviathan.Katriina
user: kate99
By Leviathan.Katriina 2018-07-02 06:23:45  
How niche is Flashy Shot these days?
If it was combined with Barrage or Eagle Eye Shot that is, and each with their respective enhanced gear slot.

ItemSet 359802
Total Crit Rate = 45

Cape Crit-Rate
Body can be switched to Meghanada +2, Mummu +2 or Abnoba Kaftan
 Phoenix.Capuchin
By Phoenix.Capuchin 2018-07-03 13:13:46  
Leviathan.Katriina said: »
How niche is Flashy Shot these days?
If it was combined with Barrage or Eagle Eye Shot that is, and each with their respective enhanced gear slot.

Flashy Shot is super niche at best. Can't imagine most people being willing to drop 5/5 Snapshot merits, but I suppose the default 5/5 Recycle could be reduced to allow for unlocking Flashy (since using both of Arcadian Beret +2/+3 and Adhemar Kecks/+1 is enough to cap Recycle without needing max Recycle merits, for relic hat TP gain purposes).

Still, I view Flashy as kind of disappointing regardless:

1) For Barrage - Flashy only affects the first hit so that's kinda meh, and gaining even more enmity on Barrage is icky. I guess if you have Flashy merited and you're not worried about adding even more enmity to Barrage, go for it. But personally, I don't even necessarily care about Barrage's damage very much - I view Barrage as primarily a TP gain tool (particularly useful for Mythic/Empy users to quickly get 3000TP to apply AM3), and I'd definitely be gearing for Racc/STP in any case.

2) For EES - eh, I guess Flashy+EES is probably ideal to make the most out of EES... but EES still blows and I can't imagine anyone seriously relying on it for significant damage. (My normal crits when Empy AM3 kicks in do similar damage to EES, as do a good Double/Triple shot crit proc... Both of those are also normal enmity and can be diverted with Decoy Shot.) I still just use EES to try to time it and score a killshot for style points. To me, adding some damage on EES with increased enmity is more likely to just pull a mob off the tank and put people at risk of AoE than it is to make a serious difference in any conceivable fight.

3) For "unstacked" Flashy - Honestly, I don't much care about a 10min JA that I can't see making a serious impact on overall DPS for any fight.

That being said, yeah I guess your set is pretty good for Flashy if you felt like using it - particularly stacked with EES. FWIW, this set is very similar to an Empy crit build (aside from the legs, which are used in your set more for the EES bonus). My tweaks would be relatively minor:

Weapons: Would more likely drop the Arasy +1 for any realistic use, since optimizing for a 1hr is not going to provide the overall benefit of something like a Perun+1/Nusku Shield/Malevolence, and I'm skeptical of wiping TP twice to swap in Arasy solely for EES.

Body: I'd probably default to Meg+2 for CHD (while retaining strong Racc/Ratk), but the choices you listed are all legitimate.

Ring: I'd switch out Regal Ring for Begrudging (especially since Regal is getting no set bonus in your set)

Feet: Especially for those who haven't +3ed the rather niche Relic feet, this slot should probably be something like: Oshosi+1 > Arcadian +3 > Oshosi NQ > Mummu +2 > Arcadian +2 (though I could see Arcadian+3 winning if significantly uncapped attack)
edit: forgot Mummu +2 feet, which should beat Arcadian +2 especially with set bonus. Mummu +1 might be better than Arcadian +2 too (more AGI and Racc, 1 less crit rate), though maybe relic is a better default recommendation for non-attack capped situations.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2018-07-03 14:22:40  
At work, can't test till tonight but this just randomly popped in my head.... does the relic+3 body enhance the double shots of overkill? Seriously doubting, but gonna have to check tonight unless someone else already has.
First Page 2 3 ... 117 118 119 ... 130 131 132