Endeavoring To Awaken --A Guide To Rune Fencer

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Rune Fencer » Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
Endeavoring to Awaken --A Guide to Rune Fencer
First Page 2 3 ... 138 139 140 ... 188 189 190
 Asura.Sechs
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-03-23 18:52:14  
Call me dumb but I always assumed barailment/resist to be separate from meva/ele Eva checks...
By clearlyamule 2018-03-23 19:05:35  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Asura.Saevel said: »
Resist Proc messages are easy to test, just find a camp with a lot of lower level beast men of a particular job and cast the appropriate enfeebles on them. You should occasionally see a "Resist!" message when casting something like Paralyze / Slow / Bind / Gravity / Sleep / Silence / Break even though our own MACC is so overpowered that they should have floored resist rate.
The discussion is mostly about testing resist status gear. And we can't exactly have the mobs wear equipment while we cast on them.
Sure you can. I liked to "test" put stuff all the time on charmed people;).

Outside of that monstrosity might sort of work though lvl 90 cap is a bit of a hindrance. As is farming stuff
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-03-23 19:09:13  
SE told us there were two separate ones awhile back. Barstaris just adds that much Mevd for that status ailment, it's no different then barelement. Notice no barspell mentions a difference between the barspella. 1 resist = 1 mevd and 230 is a very large amount. It barelement and barstatus were additive it would be extremely noticeable. 230 mevd is a 115% resist rate difference, so a zero to hero difference.

The previous posters mention of 4 different sets of checks makes more sense when compared to what we see now.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2018-03-23 19:34:41  
Anybody has a decent way to test some of these? I can run more snag buaya tonight, cuz im really bored and working from home anyways. Don't mind havving that running for a few hundred stuns.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-03-23 20:02:24  
SE told us there were two separate ones awhile back. Barstaris just adds that much Mevd for that status ailment, it's no different then barelement. Notice no barspell mentions a difference between the barspella. 1 resist = 1 mevd and 230 is a very large amount. It barelement and barstatus were additive it would be extremely noticeable. 230 mevd is a 115% resist rate difference, so a zero to hero difference.

The previous posters mention of 4 different sets of checks makes more sense when compared to what we see now.
Did SE state the potency for barstatus spells? I'd always assumed they were far less than bar elementals since they never seemed to have much impact to me.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-03-23 20:25:20  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »

Did SE state the potency for barstatus spells? I'd always assumed they were far less than bar elementals since they never seemed to have much impact to me.

SE's never said anything about any barspells, they did say that enfeebles went through a second magic evasion check after the elemental one. It was in response to the RDM players complaining that all high level stuff resisted the ***out of enfeebles but took elemental damage just fine. Having a second magic evasion check present just for status ailments comes with the implication that there is a second set of MEVD based resistances for those enfeebles. The equipment screen only shows us the elemental ones so we assumed they didn't do anything. The reason you see a far less pronounced impact is there seems to be only one resist check against them, pass / fail and that's it. Contrasted to the multiple resist states during the elemental resist check.

As for the potency question, there is no reason to assume it doesn't follow the same scaling as the rest of the entire barspell family nor that they would be treated any differently then any other barspell. We know they aren't a percentile resistance. WHM's JP category says "Increases the Potency of Bar Spells" and "Increase effect resistance by 2", zero distinction made between them. I've never seen anything anywhere that mentions one type over another, the closest thing is WHM emperian / club which gives absorption / MDB when taking damage and enfeebles can't really do damage anyway.

I'd be willing to bet that BRD's status resist songs work the same way.
 Asura.Geriond
user: Gerion
By Asura.Geriond 2018-03-23 21:00:10  
All of the gear that enhances barspells specifically mention the elemental ones only, so that's a bunch of things that mention one type over another.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2018-03-24 00:15:39  
Asura.Geriond said: »
All of the gear that enhances barspells specifically mention the elemental ones only, so that's a bunch of things that mention one type over another.

The Relic Legs and their knock off Shedir Seraweels do, the JP don't and the Empy set bonus / Beneficus are MDB / Absorb which would only make sense on damaging attacks anyway. So two items. Then again there isn't much barspell gear in the game anyway.
By Squabble 2018-03-25 01:46:04  
ItemSet 357522

Is there a better earring to use than a Cryptic Earring? Or a better build aside from Ashera Harness and +3 head piece?

I guess I should also note I don't have Ethereal Earring since I use Magnetic Earring for that Conserve MP build on other jobs.
 Valefor.Pixxie
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Pixxie 2018-03-25 02:07:10  
I'm no pro at RUN, but your question is very general. Better earring and better build for what? Enmity generation? Physical/Inquartata. Ideally you don't use 1 set for everything.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Runefencer!_A_Community_Collaborative_Guide#Endgame_Tanking_Sets
By Squabble 2018-03-25 02:09:09  
Valefor.Pixxie said: »
I'm no pro at RUN, but your question is very general. Better earring and better build for what? Enmity generation? Physical/Inquartata. Ideally you don't use 1 set for everything.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Runefencer!_A_Community_Collaborative_Guide#Endgame_Tanking_Sets

Just a generic getting punched in the face set w/o battuta. This is what I just equip when not performing actions while engaged.
By Squabble 2018-03-25 02:21:07  
Totally forgot about Sanare Earring, I think that answers my question.
 Asura.Darian
By Asura.Darian 2018-03-25 02:22:50  
Squabble said: »

Ethereal!
By geigei 2018-03-25 04:13:33  
ItemSet 357522

Is there a better earring to use than a Cryptic Earring? Or a better build aside from Ashera Harness and +3 head piece?

I guess I should also note I don't have Ethereal Earring since I use Magnetic Earring for that Conserve MP build on other jobs.
Why do you even use turms w/o ogma? genmei over cryptic>ogma>+3 head best set.
By skooks 2018-03-26 12:45:12  
ItemSet 357522

Definitely favor Ogma over Moonlight for Inquartata if you're gonna be wearing those gloves; its defining feature is the parrying effect (MEva too), so you might as well maximize your parrying rate and distribute the PDT over other gear. Relic body instead of empy, Gelatinous +1 or Vocane ring instead of moonbeam, and to answer your question Genmei instead of Cryptic. With ogma, empy legs, turs feet and 2000 JP your base parrying rate should be ~40% or roughly 2 out of 5 swings your way will be parried. Battuta will raise this by 52%.

Just a generic getting punched in the face set w/o battuta. This is what I just equip when not performing actions while engaged.

Kind of ambiguous with what you mean here, but I'm going to assume physical tanking since you mentioned Battuta, which...

Sanare won't help you with, at all. Genmei if you don't have/want Ethereal.

Side note: Meghanada +2 head has the same PDT as relic +2 head with ~20 more acc if you're whiffing a little in that set.
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2018-03-26 15:01:39  
Meghanada +2 also has 4% less haste though.
(and more eva/meva/hp/mp supposing those even matter for you, it sorta loses a bit in the other main stats truth be said)
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
サーバ: Leviathan
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2018-04-04 10:07:39  
ItemSet 357522

Without Ashera i use AF+3/Loricate +1. And with this update i will be putting DT-5 on cape using Engraved Belt over Flume +1.

ItemSet 355625
 Valefor.Pixxie
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Pixxie 2018-04-04 10:20:48  
skooks said: »
ItemSet 357522

Definitely favor Ogma over Moonlight for Inquartata if you're gonna be wearing those gloves; its defining feature is the parrying effect (MEva too), so you might as well maximize your parrying rate and distribute the PDT over other gear. Relic body instead of empy, Gelatinous +1 or Vocane ring instead of moonbeam, and to answer your question Genmei instead of Cryptic. With ogma, empy legs, turs feet and 2000 JP your base parrying rate should be ~40% or roughly 2 out of 5 swings your way will be parried. Battuta will raise this by 52%.

Kind of ambiguous with what you mean here, but I'm going to assume physical tanking since you mentioned Battuta, which...

Sanare won't help you with, at all. Genmei if you don't have/want Ethereal.

Side note: Meghanada +2 head has the same PDT as relic +2 head with ~20 more acc if you're whiffing a little in that set.

Uhhhggg. I cringe to see an Epeolatry on someone who just wants to show off how much gil they have, instead of understanding the actual job.
By Taint 2018-04-04 10:44:03  
I cringe when I see Erilaz Leg Guards +1....yes they are a great tanking piece, but at this point of FFXI, you should be hitting and contributing to DPS. Full DT and still be able to hit a mob is important.

ItemSet 357828
 Leviathan.Kingkitt
user: kingkitt
By Leviathan.Kingkitt 2018-04-04 10:44:07  
Also, if refrencing the BG Guide, my 3 main tank sets are the bottom of endgame sets (PDT set is updated in prior post here and not on guide). And i also some people do full gearswaps while tanking, so in that case people that don't because they prefer "hybrid" tanking, Refined +1 might be a better grip for people to use for the general DT over PDT or MDT.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-04-04 11:04:19  
Taint said: »
I cringe when I see Erilaz Leg Guards +1....yes they are a great tanking piece, but at this point of FFXI, you should be hitting and contributing to DPS. Full DT and still be able to hit a mob is important.

I have to disagree, this largely comes down to your alliance size and setup. If you're tanking in a 7-10 man group, you'd have one fully buffed DPS party who's only goal is to DPS, and you're the dedicated tank in the other party without DPS buffs. Same thing if you're in a group of 13-18. You aren't going to change the fight duration by more than a few %, and you're simply making yourself a liability when you swap into WS gear.

If TP and WSing in full DT, you're weakening your defensive capabaility and enmity generation without adding a meaningful amount of damage. You could be /BLU spamming enmity spells in between flash/foil cooldowns to ensure you're staying at hate cap.

I would agree that in an exactly 6man group and possibly an 11-12, you could add a meaningful amount of damage while hybrid tanking. However, most other setups you're not going to be adding as much to the group efficiency as you would be by dedicating yourself to being the best tank you can. There's no shortage of real melee, if you run with a linkshell or fixed group let them have the DPS buffs. All you need is a troubed march and ballad to keep your hate spells going.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2018-04-04 11:04:57  

ItemSet 357828
I'm hopeful that empy reforge will eventually add massive acc to Erilaz. /dreams.
[+]
By Taint 2018-04-04 12:48:38  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »

I have to disagree, this largely comes down to your alliance size and setup. If you're tanking in a 7-10 man group, you'd have one fully buffed DPS party who's only goal is to DPS, and you're the dedicated tank in the other party without DPS buffs. Same thing if you're in a group of 13-18. You aren't going to change the fight duration by more than a few %, and you're simply making yourself a liability when you swap into WS gear.

If TP and WSing in full DT, you're weakening your defensive capabaility and enmity generation without adding a meaningful amount of damage. You could be /BLU spamming enmity spells in between flash/foil cooldowns to ensure you're staying at hate cap.

I would agree that in an exactly 6man group and possibly an 11-12, you could add a meaningful amount of damage while hybrid tanking. However, most other setups you're not going to be adding as much to the group efficiency as you would be by dedicating yourself to being the best tank you can. There's no shortage of real melee, if you run with a linkshell or fixed group let them have the DPS buffs. All you need is a troubed march and ballad to keep your hate spells going.

What would be a good example for your senario?

Ambu you are better off hitting the mob. Omen is 6 manned and hardly needs a tank set once you have HQ gear. Escha you will never have hate issues.

It’s not like my set you are naked. Every piece is tank oriented it just has more acc.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-04-04 13:52:29  
What would be a good example for your senario?
Largely comes down to setup and number of players.

MB or RNG strats, nobody is giving you melee buffs. Sure you have frailty, but you're going to struggle to break 5% on the parse. Give your mage a break, focus on hate, chill on the epeen.. it's not going to cut any real amount of time off your run.

Melee strats with 7-9 players, it's not going to matter. You've got your DPS party with DD DD BRD GEO COR WHM, and then probably something like RUN [GEO] [MAGE]. You're not getting the bulk of the buffs unless you force them to rotate for just you. It's wasted effort for minimal improvement.

Melee strategies with 6 players is where it really shines, as Afania mentioned already in another thread. RUN DD GEO BRD COR WHM.. you might be contributing 20% of your groups damage. That's making a real difference and well worth having the set.

How often you see any of these situations is going to be based on who you play with and your/their attitudes toward the game. For some people, it might be 80% of their gameplay. For others, it's likely less than 20%. Outright claiming that 'you should be doing damage' is questionable, because it really doesn't apply to most situations and most people.

If you're strictly looking at best setup for a given event:

Omen - Good place to DD tank, until you have your AF1+3. Then, you job change to something that benefits from cards or you're wasting runs.

Gaes Fete - SMNs. Shut up and G/R/OS. You're doing nothing.

Ambuscade - SMNs most months. Shut up and G/R/OS. Some months, it's a good place to DD tank.

Unity - The only one that requires a tank to begin with is Tumult Curator, and even then it's mostly optional. Optimal setup is SMNs, waste of time to give you DPS buffs and won't make a huge difference in killspeed even if you have them.

Dynamis D - Pulling statues for the BLUs to aoe. Once mobs are slept, you should be off getting more not playing with your toys.
Dynamis D Midboss - Possibly worth meleeing, but dies so fast it's pretty irrelevant either way.
Dynamis D Endboss - Most of these are offensive enough that you would need to prioritize survival over everything. You may be able to swing hybrid on some besides sandoria, but unless you're 6man it's adding extra risk for little extra benefit.

Master Trial: Meleeing is a severe liability in Black and White, but encouraged in the other two. 6man event, so almost certainly practical to do so if going RUN.

Now, I realize the game would be incredibly boring if everyone only applied these optimal strategies. It's good that they don't. But, it's severely lacking in logic to demand a 'MAX EFFICIENCY ONLY' setup out of anything besides the actual most efficient setups.

Groups use varying setups and only a handful of them benefit noticably from the tank's damage. If you're trying to be the best RUN you can be, you certainly should have a set like Taint described. However, consider your own circumstances and priorities.. it may not be the best use of your time to acquire things that won't have much use for you.
[+]
By Taint 2018-04-04 14:36:33  
So there is nothing wrong with my set then.

More HP, +10 status resist(or the same depending on cape augments) same DT, slightly less meva but I’m a RUN with a WHM.

So the issue isn’t the set but the wording that you might as well hit a mob.

In all those scenarios a RUN can use his TP to contribute even if it’s just to Open a SC. The only reason not to use my set would be a mob that you don’t want to feet TP at all.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2018-04-04 14:54:14  
The issue isn't the set, it's the assertion that you should use a set like that all the time. There is frequently not a use for the RUN's SC property that exceeds the benefits of not feeding TP. Again, this comes down to target, setup, and playstyle

In the case of a SMN burn, all you're doing is increasing the risk of additional TP moves hurting an avatar.

In a RNG setup, you're sacrificing slots that could be more tank oriented and increasing TP frequency and amount of TP per TP move.

In a MB setup, your ability to help SC may be beneficial or the TP fed may be a liability. It depends on full setup.

In a large group setup, you're not going to benefit from skillchains and WSing in a high DT/high HP setup won't give you much for raw damage either. If there's absolutely no chance of dying in those sets, you could contribute that way, but it's far from necessary.

There are a lot of grey areas where the TP feed may not hurt and the set may keep you alive. However, not everyone would agree sacrificing any degree of survivability is worth it for the minimal damage being put out. If you don't have melee buffs, and you aren't integral to a SC, you really aren't helping in any meaningful way by meleeing.

Furthermore, acquiring meaningful amounts of TP and casting your hate spells at timer are pretty close to mutually exclusive. Casttime destroys TP gain. In most of the above situations, your priority should be doing the hate spells.
[+]
By Boshi 2018-04-04 15:11:45  
I cringe when I see Erilaz Leg Guards +1
nope.
[+]
 Asura.Pergatory
user: Pergatory
By Asura.Pergatory 2018-04-04 15:27:57  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
Master Trial: Meleeing is a severe liability in Black and White, but encouraged in the other two. 6man event, so almost certainly practical to do so if going RUN.
Unafraid of the Dark is definitely melee stylez (I outparsed a BLU in there while tanking) but I'm actually somewhat conflicted on Sealed Fate. TP moves in that fight can be devastating to the backline, one-shotting them even with Earthen Armor up, and with large enough AOE that some are impossible to avoid.

Our best success in that fight was with me actually removing accuracy from my DT build in order to fight engaged for parry-healing but without feeding much TP. We ended up having our Mewing SMN make Darkness with Leaden Salute > Regal Gash (SMN closed because if COR closed they ended up capping hate early in the fight) and the other SMN being on Pred Claws duty on Ultima. Even with only 1 SMN doing damage to Ultima, this worked better for us than having the RUN melee and participate in the skillchain.

It can work with RUN meleeing but in my experience it's smoother without it.

And that's really just the bottom line a lot of the time: Things will be smoother without the tank meleeing.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 138 139 140 ... 188 189 190