フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Excalibur vs. Almace
Excalibur vs. Almace
First Page 2 3 4
 Valefor.Avitorii
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
user: Avitori
By Valefor.Avitorii 2013-01-01 09:17:06  
I'm curious to know people's opinions on this for PLD. Maybe a PLD with both can shed some light on the pro's and con's of each and which they like better or which they prefer using and why.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2013-01-01 09:25:24  
Both to be honest.
[+]
 Bismarck.Kelhor
Administrator
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Rooks
By Bismarck.Kelhor 2013-01-01 09:26:28  
Given how little we draw the weapon on anything meaningful these days, it doesn't actually matter much ;)

For fodder, Almace is going to win pretty easily, since Chant is beastly. For harder targets, like fights where you have to use defensive gear or can't use Chant for some reason (amnesia?), Excalibur will win.

Excalibur is also a superior Requiescat sword, since all that extra attack helps to counteract the penalty inherent to the WS.
 Cerberus.Drayco
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2013-01-01 09:29:19  
Honestly, if you wanna be the best pld you can be, make both. They both have their uses.

Almace is incredibly easy to make. Nothing will out damage Almace inside abyssea. Excalibur will crit higher and the added effect is nice, but inside with atma, CDC will destroy a parse between the two. Outside abyssea, Almace become more situational. I prefere to use Almace in VW, just because of the near limitless TP you get from wings.

Excalibur swings like a truck. What it lacks in WSs it completely makes up for with x2.5 dmg and added effect. I use Excaliber on everything that I didn't just meantion. Dynamis, Einherjar, Limbus, ZNM, anything that doesn't have temps. With good WS sets, a 95 Excalibur can break 2k-2.5k KoR pretty reliably. Requiscat is very good too, but you really need a good mnd build for good numbers. I built up some Rdm DD gear and its alot of fun with Excaliber.

If your going to make only one, then decide what events your going to be using your pld for to make your decision.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-01-01 10:16:07  
[+]
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-01 10:28:00  
Just too bad that enlight and the add effect don't stack.
[+]
 Fenrir.Evildemon
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Evildemon 2013-01-01 10:46:21  
Anyone have a good paladin spellcast with sets for both swords? and for different events.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-01-01 10:51:38  
Almace is superior vs higher level enemies, unless your accuracy really blows.

Why would you ever be using PLD in dynamis or limbus... For einherjar, you should be using almace, assuming you're fighting Odin II. For Odin I, don't use PLD.

From this perspective, I fail to see any reason to use Excalibur over almace. Any situation where Excalibur would pull ahead, is a situation where you shouldn't be on PLD in the first place.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2013-01-01 10:55:54  
Almace is better if you're fulltiming one shield.

Excalibur is better if you're not.

Other jobs are better almost all of the time.
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2013-01-01 10:59:09  
Bismarck.Helel said: »

Why would you ever be using PLD in dynamis or limbus... For einherjar, you should be using almace, assuming you're fighting Odin II. For Odin I, don't use PLD.

From this perspective, I fail to see any reason to use Excalibur over almace. Any situation where Excalibur would pull ahead, is a situation where you shouldn't be on PLD in the first place.

He's not asking what job you think he should be on, he's asking what sword is better. I play pld in dynamis because I love pld and I don't give two shits about currency. I play for the fun.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2013-01-01 11:56:22  
Quote:

Usually the case with higher level monsters
 Cerberus.Taint
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-01-02 13:08:25  
DPS spread sheet contradicts a lot in this thread.

Excal with Requiescat keeps up or pulls ahead in a lot of the models.

KotR is also showing decent averages, probably because of very good 1 hit WS gear PLD now has access to.

99Almace is probably your best bet, but 99 Excal is much cheaper to make. 90Almace seems pretty average. Again all based on DPS sheet.

I need to unlazy and finish Almace to test them head to head.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Konvict
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Smasher
By Lakshmi.Konvict 2013-01-02 13:51:53  
Almace is superior vs higher level enemies

What? Excalibur 99 is way better on higher-end content like Legion (idk why you would bring pld but just saying), Odin 2 due to the fact KoR is a 1 hit ws. Multi hit ws's absolutely blow on them.
By amadis 2013-01-03 05:43:52  
Lakshmi.Konvict said: »

What? Excalibur 99 is way better on higher-end content like Legion(idk why you would bring pld but just saying), Odin 2 due to the fact KoR is a 1 hit ws. Multi hit ws's absolutely blow on them.

So what do you use to hold or kite stuff if you dont use PLD?
 Lakshmi.Mental
user: mental
By Lakshmi.Mental 2013-01-03 06:12:17  
Almace 99.

I prefer Burtgang for VW, Arch Omega, Odin II & Legion.

Almace for Abyssea, Arch Ultima & Low man.
 Asura.Izilder
サーバ: Asura
user: Izildur
By Asura.Izilder 2013-01-03 06:33:18  
Excal + Req is fantastic but the problem is 95 % of the time your never going to get past the atk penalty with correct buffs to make the most of it. Unless you have your own 99 harp bard to buff yourself ! XD
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-01-03 07:56:42  
Lakshmi.Mental said: »
Almace 99. I prefer Burtgang for VW, Arch Omega, Odin II & Legion. Almace for Abyssea, Arch Ultima & Low man.

Way to subtly drop the "I've got Mythic" bomb in a Empy vs. Relic thread. XD
[+]
 Fenrir.Sylow
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sylow 2013-01-03 08:12:22  
Lakshmi.Konvict said: »

What? Excalibur 99 is way better on higher-end content like Legion (idk why you would bring pld but just saying), Odin 2 due to the fact KoR is a 1 hit ws. Multi hit ws's absolutely blow on them.

Yeah, this is why all those Rag DRKs are using Scourge instead of Resolution!
[+]
 Shiva.Paulu
サーバ: Shiva
user: Paulu
By Shiva.Paulu 2013-01-03 08:27:21  
Konvict said:
Legion(idk why you would bring pld but just saying)
amadis said: »
So what do you use to hold or kite stuff if you dont use PLD?
Very curious to know as well.
 Lakshmi.Mental
user: mental
By Lakshmi.Mental 2013-01-03 08:28:18  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Almace 99. I prefer Burtgang for VW, Arch Omega, Odin II & Legion. Almace for Abyssea, Arch Ultima & Low man.

Mean!

Fair comment though, but not the intention. Imo Almace 99 will win in all Melee DD situations, then make Burtgang for utility.

Although a shorter road, I hounestly don't see the big lure for an Excalibur Paladin versus the other swords & the situational uses they all suit.

I'll go hide in a corner,
Menty
[+]
 Cerberus.Drayco
By Cerberus.Drayco 2013-01-03 08:48:05  
I agree with you. 99 Almace will beat everything, but 99 Excalibur wouldn't be far behind.

Off subject a tad, why do you prefer Burtgang in VW? What WS do you use?
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2013-01-03 08:50:05  
If there is a situation where you have to change shield or your TPs are reseted non stop, that's where Excalibur comes in. That's the basic use (Khimaira back in the days, for example).

Now if it fits the current endgame, that's another story, but you can't ignore this advantage if a situation requires it.
 Odin.Exeter
サーバ: Odin
user: Exeter
By Odin.Exeter 2013-01-03 08:50:38  
I can't comment on Almace 99 as I do not have one, I do however have 85 Almace, as well as Excalibur(95) Will be 99 later this week, There is no comparison between an 85-90 Almace Vs Excalibur at least for PLD, and I would say the same for RDM, if you are truly trying to solo as RDM and you wan't to keep all of your enfeeble, fast cast, haste, capped pdt and enhancing you do not have room to lug around a CDC set its just not possible. I solo on RDM alot and I'm more then happy with my Excalibur.

Not trying to discredit anyone's opinion I just try to look at something from a different view, I would like a Burtgang as well, I'm just not going to sell my soul to get it.
 Odin.Exeter
By Odin.Exeter 2013-01-03 08:51:42  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
If there is a situation where you have to change shield or your TPs are reseted non stop, that's where Excalibur comes in. That's the basic use (Khimaira back in the days, for example).

And yea if you're losing TP for shield swaps Excal will win in a land slide victory.
 Carbuncle.Cardinalgate
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Cardinalgate 2013-01-03 09:27:46  
[+]
 Lakshmi.Harkonnen
user: tobenutte
By Lakshmi.Harkonnen 2013-01-03 09:40:46  
Odin.Exeter said: »
Not trying to discredit anyone's opinion I just try to look at something from a different view, I would like a Burtgang as well, I'm just not going to sell my soul to get it.

We lost our souls as soon as we started to play this game
[+]
 Bismarck.Ramyrez
user: Ramyrez
By Bismarck.Ramyrez 2013-01-03 09:47:11  
Bismarck.Ramyrez said: »
Mean! Fair comment though, but not the intention. Imo Almace 99 will win in all Melee DD situations, then make Burtgang for utility. Although a shorter road, I hounestly don't see the big lure for an Excalibur Paladin versus the other swords & the situational uses they all suit. I'll go hide in a corner, Menty

I'm just screwing with you. ^^

Mostly out of self-loathing because I never made the commitment to making a mythic myself...I should probably be the one hiding in a corner.~
 Odin.Exeter
By Odin.Exeter 2013-01-03 10:46:44  
Asura.Izilder said: »
Excal + Req is fantastic but the problem is 95 % of the time your never going to get past the atk penalty with correct buffs to make the most of it. Unless you have your own 99 harp bard to buff yourself ! XD

Thats the nice thing about Excalibur, it pushes alot more attack for Req then other swords will, while still doing great damage with Req, and KoR is always a viable option, it will never spike like CDC does, no point to even argue that.
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2013-01-03 11:02:12  
Cerberus.Drayco said: »
In VW, you have wings which make refreshing AM3 very easy. You get stuck using expiacion for refreshing AM anytime it wears but the rest of the time you'd use Req. Keeping AM3 up in other situations would be more difficult devaluing burt (as a dd weapon anyway).
 Carbuncle.Pwnzone
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Pwnzone
By Carbuncle.Pwnzone 2013-01-03 11:05:21  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
Cerberus.Drayco said: »
In VW, you have wings which make refreshing AM3 very easy. You get stuck using expiacion for refreshing AM anytime it wears but the rest of the time you'd use Req. Keeping AM3 up in other situations would be more difficult devaluing burt (as a dd weapon anyway).

Expiacion with burtgang? wut?
First Page 2 3 4