フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » Excalibur vs. Almace
Excalibur vs. Almace
 Bahamut.Oakozric
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-10 16:17:51  
Phoenix.Kaparu said: »
I don't see how /DNC stands to benefit PLD, either. You gain no practical durability, lose damage output, and lose proc options
It adds two procs... it also adds erase and haste samba. It's practical.

And Excalibur is never better in Abyssea, nor is it going to be better in Voidwatch very often. The only place Excalibur has a chance of being consistently better is when your crit rate is reduced, which incidentaly are not fights where the PLD's contributions matter

Excalibur has been more useful for me when soloing mobs like Amhuluk that reset tp. So yes, Excalibur has institutional uses for solo in abyssea. I'm sorry I play solo sometimes. Almace has much lower dps when it doesn't get it's AM turned on.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Tsuko
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-10 16:25:57  
If you're soloing things on PLD in Abyssea, you should probably be /THF. That'll give you TH2(3) and the same procs.

Amhuluk doesn't reset TP quickly or often enough to make Excalibur better.

And quit getting defensive. I'm saying the weapon is nearly useless, I'm not saying you are.
By amadis 2013-01-10 16:46:43  
If you soloing in abyssea on PLD imo you should be /RDM. you get the the 2 dagger procs, refresh, haste (15% vs. 5% haste samba), bar spells, MDB trait, fast cast trait, stoneskin, aquavail, dia 2, regen, sneak, invis, ice spikes and dispel.
 Sylph.Wolfebane
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Wolfebane 2013-01-10 16:53:12  
Excal > Almace unless in abyssea. and /war on pld always... if you need erase then /whm. never /dnc on pld it blows. i see no reason at all to /rdm either, but i own an ochain so no need for refresh most of the time. With /war you gain Fencer(good for both CDC and Requiescat), Attack Bonus, Double Attack, Agressor, Berserk, Warcry, More HP(Excal. procs and HP never hurt any tank). And if you do need erase use /whm and you can also gain some MDB, bar spells, haste and reraise. Plus other ***like cursna viruna etc.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-10 17:10:50  
amadis said: »
If you soloing in abyssea on PLD imo you should be /RDM. you get the the 2 dagger procs, refresh, haste (15% vs. 5% haste samba), bar spells, MDB trait, fast cast trait, stoneskin, aquavail, dia 2, regen, sneak, invis, ice spikes and dispel.

Except, you're probably soloing whatever you're soloing to get something, right?

Most anything you'd need to solo can be done with /THF, so there's no reason to floor your productivity by taking superfluous defensive measures
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-10 17:11:40  
Sylph.Wolfebane said: »
Excal > Almace unless in abyssea. and /war on pld always... if you need erase then /whm. never /dnc on pld it blows. i see no reason at all to /rdm either, but i own an ochain so no need for refresh most of the time. With /war you gain Fencer(good for both CDC and Requiescat), Attack Bonus, Double Attack, Agressor, Berserk, Warcry, More HP(Excal. procs and HP never hurt any tank). And if you do need erase use /whm and you can also gain some MDB, bar spells, haste and reraise. Plus other ***like cursna viruna etc.

lol
 Carbuncle.Aeonknight
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Aeonknight 2013-01-10 17:11:50  

Few things:

/DNC is probably the better sub for super tanking adds in VW. That TP isn't going to be used for anything besides maybe Chivalry, so /DNC makes use of that.

Fencer is good for both CDC and Requiescat, but it helps CDC much more thanks to the crit boost.

as for /RDM, it can still situationally be better than /WHM. Ice Spikes and Dispel are pretty nice, not to mention Fast Cast. The less time you spending casting spells, the more time you spend swinging your sword of choice, so if you don't need the -na spells then /RDM beats out /WHM.
By amadis 2013-01-10 17:43:01  
Sorry i misunderstood here I thought everyone was talking about soloing difficult higer tier abyssea NM's. Pritty sure it would be alot harder/not possible soloing shinryu/all 6 caturae/brulo/the leviathan VNM/orthrus/isegbind etc /THF or /WAR than with mage sub. Even with max temps I dont think soloing such stuff is achieveable without refesh/barspells etc.
The extra MP from ochain is not enough to keep you alive through nukes and big tp moves that ochain does not block. even with max temps and chivalry mp will eventually run out. The most refresh PLD can get from gear is 7/tick (aygmented valk head (2/tick) or refresh hairpin (1/tick), twilight, creed neck & 2 ogiers pieces) if your useing this much refresh gear all the time your lowering you DPS or DT gear alot or if your useing refresh atma your lowering your DPS alot more than you would if you used /RDM and had an extra damage atma. If your fighting something that uses alot of magic you wont be useing ochain anyway in wich case mp will run out even faster.
Fact of the matter is if you doing some 10 min fight then yeah /WAR is the way or if you really think TH2 (3 or 4 if you want to lower your damage alot) is going to get you better drops in content that drops are based mostly on procs then /THF but if you want to solo something difficult and need surviveability then mage sub is the way forward.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-10 21:04:00  
Drop rates on special items are often irritating, even with a stagger. You're suggesting that TH doesn't matter with no data to support you. If TH3 gets you a drop one kill sooner, you've saved yourself an exponentially greater amount of time than any subjob could have hoped to save you.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-10 21:06:48  
And I've solo'd half of those as PLD/THF with Ochain. The other half are either pointless to kill using the methods you're suggesting, or are pointless to kill period.
 Asura.Fiv
サーバ: Asura
user: Gares
By Asura.Fiv 2013-01-10 21:54:28  

In legion, which is where i play PLD 90% of the time, i don't get any DD buffs except embrava. That being said, the accuracy and attack is so lacking on most of the mobs even with war sub, its really not worth risking death on a bunch of mobs with horrible TP moves, when you can just kite. That being said, if your kiting, with embrava on, /dnc gets rid of silence, gravity, bind, and other misc enfeebles. Alternatively, you can sub white mage, and also have erase, but have to actually stop to cast it and it doesn't fire quite as quickly.

I suppose its moot though if you use 2 PLD instead of 1, or if you have a healer when on PLD in legion, but thats 1-2 spots you could put other jobs!

Outside of legion, i only do old content solo, so i sub whm or rdm, or voidwatch, and sub rdm for diaga because theres always 1 guy who attacks mobs before adds pop.

I really don't see much use in subbing WAR.
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 07:12:35  
If you're soloing things on PLD in Abyssea, you should probably be /THF. That'll give you TH2(3) and the same procs.

And quit getting defensive. I'm saying the weapon is nearly useless, I'm not saying you are.

/thf for solo is rarely as useful as you might think - the TH just doesn't make a big enough difference to justify it. Subbing /dnc is not only convenient but makes thins run much smoother. /rdm is still nice, the extra mnd for Req and the added MDB has some uses.

And quit thinking I'm getting defensive. I'm saying what I've experienced.
 Lakshmi.Harkonnen
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: tobenutte
By Lakshmi.Harkonnen 2013-01-11 07:26:56  
It is your gil do what you want, and be happy with your new shinny toy.
 Odin.Exeter
サーバ: Odin
user: Exeter
By Odin.Exeter 2013-01-11 08:09:37  
I do alot of solo's on PLD and RDM, on RDM its a no brainer, Excalibur is the way to go, good luck carrying around a CDC set on RDM while still maintaining all of your Enfeeble/FastCast/PDT/MDT/Enhancing gear. I have Excalibur(99) and Almace(85) its obviously no contest for me Excalibur will win every time.

Saying one is better then the other is too close minded, they each shine in their own respects, inside of Abyssea Almace(99) is king you can't deny it, with proper DD atmas and I say this as an owner of Excalibur, but outside of Abyssea even when I only had 90/95 Excalibur I liked it alot better then Almace, the WS dmg was a little under par on KoR but it was alot more consistant. I'll take consistancy over spike damage any day. I also like not having to constantly cast EnLight, and even /DNC Excalibur keeps the added effect.

But really, whether you go with Almace, Excalibur, or even Burtgang just make sure you do it for yourself and not what someone thinks is right or wrong, thats the point of the different weapons and builds, otherwise we would all be the same, and thats boring.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 12:07:52  
Bahamut.Oakozric said: »

/thf for solo is rarely as useful as you might think - the TH just doesn't make a big enough difference to justify it. Subbing /dnc is not only convenient but makes thins run much smoother. /rdm is still nice, the extra mnd for Req and the added MDB has some uses.

You're, once again, making blanket claims with zero evidence to support them.

Getting a drop one kill sooner is always going to be more productive than "having things run much smoother". If your subjob is making that much of a difference while playing a main job that's as close as this game gets to a brick wall, you should probably step up your performance. I'm not having difficulties, and my paladin isn't very impressive.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 12:09:21  
I don't think there's been a response in the last two pages that was supported by anything other than the heart of the cards. That's now how this works, and I shouldn't have to explain it to you this late in the game.
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 12:10:20  
Bahamut.Oakozric said: »

You're, once again, making blanket claims with zero evidence to support them.

Getting a drop one kill sooner is always going to be more productive than "having things run much smoother". If your subjob is making that much of a difference while playing a main job that's as close as this game gets to a brick wall, you should probably step up your performance. I'm not having difficulties, and my paladin isn't very impressive.

You're clearly being argumentative for no reason - what a waste of time talking with you!
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 12:15:43  
You're arbitrarily declaring that, in a world of waiting for repop timers and having specific times of day line up with your plans, one of the greatest increases to productivity is "rarely as useful as you might think". When you have any data to support this, get back to me. Your feelings do not hold water here.

If calling your *** is "being argumentative", so be it.
[+]
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 12:23:01  
You're arbitrarily declaring that, in a world of waiting for repop timers and having specific times of day line up with your plans, one of the greatest increases to productivity is "rarely as useful as you might think". When you have any data to support this, get back to me. Your feelings do not hold water here.

If calling your *** is "being argumentative", so be it.

Nice trollwork.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 12:29:46  
Alright. If you'd prefer to call me a troll instead of addressing your baseless claim, I think we're about done here.
[+]
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2013-01-11 12:48:30  
During the time spent with this SJ debate each of you could have created and lvled a THF mule.
[+]
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 12:50:56  
Alright. If you'd prefer to call me a troll instead of addressing your baseless claim, I think we're about done here.

What's the baseless claim? That certain mobs reset tp? So let me get this straight, there are no mobs that reset tp? Because an almace that doesn't get to WS is weak. Changing out shields would also do this. That's my 'claim'.

This was one simple generalized example. There are more, but knowing you don't understand this and you clearly want to make it personal (going back to your very first remark, "defensive") I realize you have no good intentions in this thread.

Shame on me for continuing to feed your toll-hood.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 12:57:19  
Straw men aren't going to give you any street cred around here.

Go away.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 13:00:33  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
During the time spent with this SJ debate each of you could have created and lvled a THF mule.

Don't like dualboxing, don't want to pay for additional accounts, etc. (I've also farmed every blue proc item with a purpose on PLD/THF already, so the suggestion is post hoc)

And I'd hardly call this a debate.

Me: I think <this>; my reason is <this>.

Him: Treasure Hunter doesn't do anything bro
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 13:01:56  
Straw men aren't going to give you any street cred around here.

Go away.

Junk.
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 13:03:48  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
Him: Treasure Hunter doesn't do anything bro

Yep, you're definitely trolling, because I never said that. I said, "/thf for solo is rarely as useful as you might think - the TH just doesn't make a big enough difference to justify it". I didn't say it doesn't do anything.

You are confused.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 13:06:22  
And you're still not supporting that.

If a blue proc elevates a base drop rate to 95%(which is nowhere near true- the estimate has always been ~50%), and Treasure Hunter tacks on an additional 1%, it's still doing exactly as much as it would have without a proc.

And as I said, if you get a drop one fight sooner than you otherwise would have, you've nullified any and all alternate benefits.

I don't know why I'm having to reiterate this. You're a fool for denying reality(and filling in the gaps with what you feel is correct), and I'm a fool for continuing to explain this to you.
 Bahamut.Oakozric
By Bahamut.Oakozric 2013-01-11 13:12:42  
And you're still not supporting that.

If a blue proc elevates a base drop rate to 95%(which is nowhere near true- the estimate has always been ~50%), and Treasure Hunter tacks on an additional 1%, it's still doing exactly as much as it would have without a proc.

And as I said, if you get a drop one fight sooner than you otherwise would have, you've nullified any and all alternate benefits.

I don't know why I'm having to reiterate this. You're a fool for denying reality(and filling in the gaps with what you feel is correct), and I'm a fool for continuing to explain this to you.

Who says we're exclusively talking about blue procs? What about acquiring trigs from normal mobs?

We agree on one thing. You are a fool.
 Phoenix.Kaparu
By Phoenix.Kaparu 2013-01-11 13:16:45  
Edit: Never mind. Done.
 Lakshmi.Harkonnen
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: tobenutte
By Lakshmi.Harkonnen 2013-01-11 14:07:46  
Call me crazy (and I know I am.) I thought this thread was about Excalibur vs. Almace. Not what subjob to use, and procs. Oh wait just another derailed thread. I get my Excalibur tonight after I get home from work, so carry on my good friends.