フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
The Beast Within -- A Guide to Blue Mage
First Page 2 3 ... 433 434 435 ... 445 446 447
 Asura.Bynebill
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2023-03-20 03:56:11  
It's mainly used on mobs that deal only magic damage. Saline coat greatly reducing the damage on top of current defensive gear options makes magic barrier's 500+hp magic stoneskin extremely reliable on 0ing out hits.
By SimonSes 2023-03-20 04:08:59  
Foxfire said: »
So anyway, as a mere average mortal who hasn't gone into the v25 t3+ or aminon encounters, can someone fill me in on how it is BLU manages to do magic barrier tanking?

Like obviously the answer is spamming hate spells, but my questions are more like, if magic barrier is limited to your Blu magic skill, doesn't that mean you'd be losing that barrier every other hit? Is there some crazy set that manages to make it last long enough to where you're not riding the cooldown hoping to god you don't get hit? Even with saline coat I can't imagine you'd just neutralize damage entirely

Idk, haven't given a proper look at the sortie mega boss and people generally don't do D/H bosses, so if it ever becomes a clear requirement for something, it'd be nice to have some idea of how to accomplish it.

I could prolly ask in the sortie thread, but thought it'd be worth having some perspective in the Blu thread for posterity.

I think you overestimate the damage Bumba can do with auto-attacks with capped MDT, Phalanx II and Saline Coat it's not gonna be much. One MB can probably easily survive several hits. Only problem should really be if Bumba decide to hit you with Kaustra or Impact and your MB isnt refreshed. Also with Paralyze and slow frequency of Bumba's auto-attacks will be rather low too.

Getting hit for 0 all the time on Aminon isnt required, it just helps. Occasional hits for more than 0 aren't a problem with all the people spamming Absorb-TP.
By Foxfire 2023-03-20 07:25:49  
Yeah, I probably am. I'm just thinking that it'd still be doing, say, 100+ a hit regardless and would make magic barrier otherwise difficult to maintain. If it's not the case it's not the case, y'know?

Just hard to imagine w/o that firsthand experience I suppose
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2023-03-20 09:24:37  
Looks like you can get up to a max of 731 Blue magic skill. Thats using 2x Iris though... so still 701 without weapons swaps is pretty awesome. Hurray for master level skill increases.

blue magic + gear set also has capped gear haste.
with capped magical haste, you should have maxed recast reduction of about 12s. even with only haste2 on, it should be around 16s.
This is assuming capped fast cast.

700 magic damage reduction, reapplied every 15~20 seconds is pretty darn good. if you are otherwise in dt set w/ shell... your ability to resist magic damage is really good.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-20 09:27:34  
You've also got a pretty good chance to negate/absorb damage between Carol 2, shadow ring, and warder's charm which are all usable in a full turtle set.
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-03-20 09:43:16  
On our winning bumby v25 run, for the 2nd KI, I never took any damage tanking bumby on BLU. He hit me for 0's the whole time. If geared properly, you dont even come close to riding the timer. slow/para really owns him pretty good.

Also I wouldnt ride the timer because you want to be able to have it available if silence falls and he starts casting impact/kaustra.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2023-03-20 09:51:35  
Is Empy Head +3 not being in the Savage/Expi sets an oversight or gear sets on here not being updated? Just eyeballing/napkin math I can't see how Kavuk +3 wouldn't be better than even R30 Nyame head.

Apologies if this was discussed recently, I scanned real quick on the last few pages but didn't see anything.

Kavuk:
Acc61/Atk61 + 30 Sword Skill
WSD12
28/29/35 on STR/DEX/MND

Nyame:
Acc40/Atk65
WSD11
DA5
26/25/26 on STR/DEX/MND
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2023-03-20 10:20:24  
Difference will be even slightly higher when you realize that the majority of people, for now at least, is still capped to R25 on Nyame.

DA5 can be something I guess, but considering the relevant WSs (Espiacion and Savage Blade) do not transfer TP the overall damage increase granted by potential DA shouldn't be extreme.
If we're talking about AM3 Tizona and Expiacion then DA5 might actually be a small loss compared to DA0, given the multiattack priority.
[+]
 Asura.Lunafreya
user: Lunafreya
By Asura.Lunafreya 2023-03-20 10:42:11  
Asura.Sechs said: »
Difference will be even slightly higher when you realize that the majority of people, for now at least, is still capped to R25 on Nyame.

DA5 can be something I guess, but considering the relevant WSs (Espiacion and Savage Blade) do not transfer TP the overall damage increase granted by potential DA shouldn't be extreme.
If we're talking about AM3 Tizona and Expiacion then DA5 might actually be a small loss compared to DA0, given the multiattack priority.

Exactly! I assume a large population is sitting at R20, and at least in my case I am talking about Tiz R 15 AM3 situations.
By SimonSes 2023-03-20 10:49:28  
Asura.Lunafreya said: »
an oversight

Not oversight. Just not updated. Kavuk is much better.
[+]
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-20 11:26:52  
I haven't updated all of the sets for +3 armor
By Foxfire 2023-03-20 11:31:35  
you gotta update the sets or people are going to ask questions!! can't have the earring debate all over again!!

anyway, thanks for the perspective, friends.
 Asura.Volteczero
By Asura.Volteczero 2023-03-24 01:21:05  
Trying to make a max accuracy set for physical blue magic spell, barbed crescent in particular, this is what I got so far, any improvement that could be made? r30/25/15 where it applies
ItemSet 390565
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2023-03-24 06:52:35  
If you are mainly wanting the acc down to land id switch to the empy+3 body as its a beefy macc increase for like 15-20 acc drop.

I would also mainhand r15 Tizona if you have it and offhand the SU5 sword which is a 10 acc drop but 30 macc higher than Sakpata. The acc in that set should be high enough to land physical spells on most targets.
By SimonSes 2023-03-24 07:05:00  
Odin.Creaucent said: »
If you are mainly wanting the acc down to land id switch to the empy+3 body as its a beefy macc increase for like 15-20 acc drop.

I would also mainhand r15 Tizona if you have it and offhand the SU5 sword which is a 10 acc drop but 30 macc higher than Sakpata. The acc in that set should be high enough to land physical spells on most targets.

I feel he wants to land it for Distortion to make an SC for Kaustra on Bumba, so macc is irrelevant for him.
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-03-24 09:18:18  
Asura.Volteczero said: »
Trying to make a max accuracy set for physical blue magic spell, barbed crescent in particular, this is what I got so far, any improvement that could be made? r30/25/15 where it applies
ItemSet 390565
Make your life easy:
Barbed Crescent Number of Hits 1
Quad. Continuum Number of Hits 4

if your closing Darkness, go Quad.

sets.midcast['Blue Magic']['Quad. Continuum'] = {ammo="Sapience Orb",waist="Ninurta's Sash",back=gear.stp_jse_back,feet="Nyame Sollerets",head="Malignance Chapeau",body="Hashishin mintan +3",hands="Hashi. Bazu. +3",ear1="Digni. Earring",neck="bathy choker +1",legs="Gleti's Breeches",ring1="Chirich Ring +1",ring2="Chirich Ring +1"}

I went the subtle blow+acc approach and never missed a Quad in 50+ runs. As blue tank when the skillchain is going and timing is tight and lots of spells are going off on him I was always paranoid he would get enough TP, so I was loading subtle blow and instantly after Quad. Cont. I would tickle or reaving, whichever was off cooldown
[+]
 Asura.Volteczero
By Asura.Volteczero 2023-03-24 11:25:33  
I've tried this exact approach with capped SB set and quad, it simply fed too much TP for our SC set up since we're doing 6 steps sc. I figure I'll just load up on acc and take a 5% miss chance, assuming blue magic acc cap is also 95%
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-03-24 11:32:48  
Scholar should be casting the steps in subtle, in 50+ attempts we only had him tp once we went into dps mode of non kaustra/helix damage.

That point we put monk roll up for sc and mb dmg
Are you using tickle and reaving? Or just reaving

I would searing tempest ~> gust ~> tp denial ~> quad cont -> tp denial
[+]
 Asura.Volteczero
By Asura.Volteczero 2023-03-24 12:01:41  
feather and reaving, though sch casting in subtle blow is a new one, might try that
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2023-03-24 12:16:26  
SimonSes said: »
Odin.Creaucent said: »

I feel he wants to land it for Distortion to make an SC for Kaustra on Bumba, so macc is irrelevant for him.

Ah yeah. Only other option for more acc is one that really isnt worth it and thats Nyame path A head, hands and feet.
 Phoenix.Xax
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Xax 2023-03-24 17:57:56  
my group is not quite there for v25 yet but id like to start preparing ahead of time so im ready when we get there. does anyone have a spellset/equip set for v25 bumba as tank and a general walkthrough of the fight? ive seen a JP video but thats it. ive tanked some pretty easy content on blu so far (dyna d, omen, etc) so not completely unfamiliar but any tips are welcome
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2023-03-24 18:23:26  
Phoenix.Xax said: »
my group is not quite there for v25 yet but id like to start preparing ahead of time so im ready when we get there. does anyone have a spellset/equip set for v25 bumba as tank and a general walkthrough of the fight? ive seen a JP video but thats it. ive tanked some pretty easy content on blu so far (dyna d, omen, etc) so not completely unfamiliar but any tips are welcome
Posted some thoughts in the ody thread. I’ll post my spell set tomorrow

<bumby>
<slot01>magnetite cloud</slot01>
<slot02>saline coat</slot02>
<slot03>delta thrust</slot03>
<slot04>actinic burst</slot04>
<slot05>magic barrier</slot05>
<slot06>tenebral crush</slot06>
<slot07>plenilune embrace</slot07>
<slot08>memento mori</slot08>
<slot09>quad. continuum</slot09>
<slot10>leafstorm</slot10>
<slot11>searing tempest</slot11>
<slot12>osmosis</slot12>
<slot13>ice break</slot13>
<slot14>erratic flutter</slot14>
<slot15>barbed crescent</slot15>
<slot16>reaving wind</slot16>
<slot17>feather tickle</slot17>
<slot18>fantod</slot18>
<slot19>scouring spate</slot19>
</bumby>

Tenebral/Leafstorm were just if we got to the DPS stage so I could do a couple BA -> tenebral

Stack MDB basically
[+]
 Phoenix.Xax
By Phoenix.Xax 2023-03-30 19:28:34  
thanks alot@ whats the purpose of quad continuum? delta + barbed already gives you that lvl of dual wield unless im missing something?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-30 19:37:51  
skillchain
 Phoenix.Xax
By Phoenix.Xax 2023-03-30 20:51:01  
oh ok i see it now thanks!
 Asura.Neviskio
user: Neviskio
By Asura.Neviskio 2023-04-05 22:33:07  
Is the blu physical spells from main page guide still relevant? Also if yes, what's an alternative to the ifrit ring +1? I kinda don't want inventory -1 for a single set on all my 20 jobs but I can see why it's great. Maybe Ilabrat for the 25 attack? Rufescent or something for 6 str? Not sure <.<.

I also guess no alternatives to the shiva rings in the top sets posted? Trying to see if I can save those 2 slots too

later edit: do I also need to still bother with rawhide gloves for the SIRD? My set won't cap 101+ anyway it seems (about 84%) and would save 1 inv slot if I downgrade to a 10% SIRD glove...

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Bynebill
user: Autocast
By Asura.Bynebill 2023-04-05 23:55:26  
Is zero reasons to waste wardrobe/inventory slots on blue physical spell sets(Damage spells, not talking about things like sudden lunge). Simply mix/match emp+3/nyame/accessories you use for other things that have physical acc on them.

The only time you use these spells is when you're looking to fill a skillchain spot or extend one, hence why you should favor accuracy accessories over attack.
By SimonSes 2023-04-06 03:00:58  
Asura.Bynebill said: »
The only time you use these spells is when you're looking to fill a skillchain spot or extend one, hence why you should favor accuracy accessories over attack.

This is not exactly true. You can still do a really good damage with few physical spells if you pair it with your job abilities. I use Sinker drill quite a lot for that (especially useful when mob is weak to piercing and/or resist slashing), but at the same time I wouldn't use anything extra that bis BLU wouldn't have anyway.

This is my Sinker Drill set
Code
sets.midcast['Sinker Drill'] = {
		ammo="Aurgelmir Orb +1",
		head="Hashishin Kavuk +3",
		body="Hashishin Mintan +3",
		hands="Hashishin Bazubands +3",
		legs="Hashishin Tayt +3",
		feet="Hashishin Basmak +3",
		neck="Mirage Stole +2",
		waist="Sailfi Belt +1",
		left_ear="Njord Earring",
		right_ear="Hashishin Earring",
		left_ring="Sroda Ring",
		right_ring="Gelatinous ring +1",
		back=gear.BLU_WS2_Cape
	}
 Carbuncle.Maletaru
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: maletaru
By Carbuncle.Maletaru 2023-04-06 09:23:49  
Asura.Neviskio said: »
later edit: do I also need to still bother with rawhide gloves for the SIRD? My set won't cap 101+ anyway it seems (about 84%) and would save 1 inv slot if I downgrade to a 10% SIRD glove...

You might not need them for SIRD, but they are also bis for blue magic skill (AFAIK) so you'll need/want them regardless of the SIRD
First Page 2 3 ... 433 434 435 ... 445 446 447