フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG weapon advice
RNG weapon advice
First Page 2 3 4
 Odin.Upbeat
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-03-22 02:35:48  
I'm just wondering ranger has so many top weapons now(Annihilator, Yoichinoyumi, Gandiva, Armageddon) which weapon is the most useful to have? Is either of the relics even worth it to upgrade at this time in the game?

The reason I ask is I'm pulling in enough gil to upgrade a relic easily right now. NIN and RNG are my two only jobs, and I don't plan on leveling any other jobs anytime soon. From what I've seen/read Kikoku is fairly pointless relic now with Kannagi even for a sub weapon. I already have Gandiva done, and Armageddon half way done.

So pretty much is Yoichi or Anni worth upgrading? If yes which one would be the better weapon to upgrade now in game?
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 02:37:14  
Both WSes for relic do less than slugwinder. A lot less then Jishnu's/Wildfire inside abyssea.
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:41:01  
iirc yoichi is THE strongest bow at the moment, while the ws may not compare to say jishnu in abyssea, with the strength on the bow let alone the delay on it, i believe the DoT on it is stronger than gandiva's.

as for annihilater if i remember right, to lazy to verify, the ws pretty much lets you get trigger happy without to much hate.
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-03-22 02:42:18  
Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Both WSes for relic do less than slugwinder. A lot less then Jishnu's/Wildfire inside abyssea.
^
This is what I expected... Guess back to trying to make a signed Sonic belt +1 lol
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-22 02:42:59  
What about the 40% odd on Gandiva after ws though ;o I think that might close the gap on dot.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 02:43:23  
Its a very good bow, no question there. But Jishnu's is just that good, especially inside abyssea. With yoichi, youll be lucky to break 3k with sidewinder. Jishnu's is 3.5k-4k almost all the time. Spiking to 5-6k.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:45:19  
Leviathan.Hohenheim said:
What about the 40% odd on Gandiva after ws though ;o I think that might close the gap on dot.
it's close but to get a 40% you have to shoot at 300% tp iirc and you can pull a 4 hit with yoichi alot easier, yoichi is still the superior bow.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 02:46:01  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
it's close but to get a 40% you have to shoot at 300% tp iirc and you can pull a 4 hit with yoichi alot easier, yoichi is still the superior bow.

Bow yes, overall no.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-22 02:46:04  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Oh, I thought the odd was the same for all tp brackets.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:46:53  
Its a very good bow, no question there. But Jishnu's is just that good, especially inside abyssea. With yoichi, youll be lucky to break 3k with sidewinder. Jishnu's is 3.5k-4k almost all the time. Spiking to 5-6k.
........lucky? idk wrong atma or bow w/e but sidewinder generally sits above 3-4k inside abyssea (not piercing weak)
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:48:04  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Bow yes, overall no.
you still have to consider that people will start trickling back outside abyssea, and nama's is actually very comparable to jishnu outside
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:50:00  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

dont quote me on it, give me about 5 minutes to verify but odd has been affected by tp tiers (100 200 300) and i believe empyreans are no different.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 02:51:44  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Bow yes, overall no.
you still have to consider that people will start trickling back outside abyssea, and nama's is actually very comparable to jishnu outside

Namas is nowhere near jishnu's anywhere. id say namas sits at a good 40% less then sidewinder outside. That was with 85 yoichi, so if you want to add the ~15% for 90 go ahead. I only have harrier for jishnu' but namas is not even on the same page. Sidewinder is a lot closer to jishnus outside. So in that aspect, yes yoichi would win.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:52:59  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

dont quote me on it, give me about 5 minutes to verify but odd has been affected by tp tiers (100 200 300) and i believe empyreans are no different.
nevermind, 100% tp ws: 30 second duration 300% tp ws: minute and a half duration
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:54:13  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Bow yes, overall no.

Namas is nowhere near jishnu's anywhere. id say namas sits at a good 40% less then sidewinder outside. That was with 85 yoichi, so if you want to add the ~15% for 90 go ahead. I only have harrier for jishnu' but namas is not even on the same page. Sidewinder is a lot closer to jishnus outside. So in that aspect, yes yoichi would win.
odd, i was getting better dmg with nama's than sidewinder with a murti
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 02:55:54  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Bow yes, overall no.

I didnt mess with murti for too long, but i was doing 1.8k sidewinder, and 1.4k namas. Thats at 85 cap after bow came out, but i didnt mess with it for too long so idk.
 Leviathan.Hohenheim
By Leviathan.Hohenheim 2011-03-22 02:56:40  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

nevermind, 100% tp ws: 30 second duration 300% tp ws: minute and a half duration

So what's that mean for dot on gandiva (after ws proc) and yoichinoyumi?
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 02:58:33  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Bow yes, overall no.

I didnt mess with murti for too long, but i was doing 1.8k sidewinder, and 1.4k namas. Thats at 85 cap after bow came out, but i didnt mess with it for too long so idk.
idk, that kind of doesnt make sense unless you weren't aloting the right stats for it (yes i know stat mods are similar)

also this is neglecting the triple dmg traits both relics have.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 03:00:07  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

So what's that mean for dot on gandiva (after ws proc) and yoichinoyumi?
that was including having odd up full time
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 03:00:16  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Bow yes, overall no.

idk, that kind of doesnt make sense unless you weren't aloting the right stats for it (yes i know stat mods are similar)

also this is neglecting the triple dmg traits both relics have.

Outside abyssea, in dynamis at 85, seems about normal for the end of the run. (beginning doesnt count cuz mobs are lulzy.)
 Odin.Upbeat
By Odin.Upbeat 2011-03-22 03:03:21  
I do really like the idea of being able to spam WSs using anni with no worry of building hate. When I play RNG I don't hold back at all unless I have to for us to win, most of the time when I bring RNG/SAM to abyssea the mob is looking at me the whole fight. How is Coronach's DMG inside/outside abyssea? I dropped my Exequy Gun w/o really playing with Coronach much.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 03:10:46  
i dont know, lol i dont think i've once picked up a gun for my rng. i cant stand them, cor i have but yeah no on rng, that's a personal choice though.

@tidus you cant cap strcap with jishnu outside abyssea which is a rather painful loss in potential, which pretty much drags it down to be slightly better than sidewinder/namas.
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-03-22 03:18:16  
As far as guns go, the annihilator rng in my shell easily does more damage with Coronach than with slug shot, thanks to the 90 relic boost. He's also spiked some VERY high numbers on barrage (although I'm sure the empy bow/gun have the same effect).

edit: the enmity is what makes the relics worthwhile. Empys will probably outdamage them in every circumstance, but that means nothing when you pull hate.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 03:22:17  
Phoenix.Kirana said:
As far as guns go, the annihilator rng in my shell easily does more damage with Coronach than with slug shot, thanks to the 90 relic boost. He's also spiked some VERY high numbers on barrage (although I'm sure the empy bow/gun have the same effect).

edit: the enmity is what makes the relics worthwhile. Empys will probably outdamage them in every circumstance, but that means nothing when you pull hate.
oh that's right youichi also has the enmity nerf on nama's as well.
 Caitsith.Xyooj
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Xyooj
By Caitsith.Xyooj 2011-03-22 03:49:26  
yep, i love not pulling hate on anything. we all know how squishy rngs are ;;
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 03:55:20  
For the time being, a ranger using Gandiva and dealing with the enmity is going to be a lot more productive than trying to hide behind some other DD that could just as easily be fighting something else.

As long as Abyssea is relevant, Gandiva is infinitely more worthwhile than any other weapon. Once MP becomes a limitation in non-group situations again, the situation will need to be reaccessed(although unfortunately, its highly likely that ranger will just become utterly undesirable).
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2011-03-22 03:59:24  
The Annihilator is by far the superior weapon for Ranger, always has been, always will be. The sole reason for this is enmity distribution.

Yes, Jishnu's Radiance will do more damage. Yes, Slug Shot will do more damage. But neither of them have a low static hate value like Coronach, or can benefit from the enmity reduction aftermath.

Lets face it, the only thing limiting your DoT on any fight you'll bring Ranger to is enmity. Can't deal damage if you're dead. Coronach will solve that problem. You can quite literally spam Coronach all day long and the only time you've gotta worry about pulling hate is when you barrage without aftermath.

Outside Abyssea with a good DEX build, I've brought Coronach damage up to only 200-300 points under what Slug Shot would do. I usually parse and test new builds on Dark Ixion, and as /SAM with Pot-au-feu, and no buffs from BRD or COR, a good average is 1750 slugs to about 1580 coro's. When you factor in weaponskill frequency, it's just no contest. I've yet to complete my trials to get the Anni to level 90, but I'm interested to see if Coro will surpass Slug.

Inside Abyssea it just gets better. Depending on your atma selection you can bring Coronach damage to well over 2000. But I've honestly found it more useful to simply stack TP regain (VV, Sea Daughter, Sundering Slash) for 10 TP/tick and just sit back and spam Coronach on everything lol While your numbers per weapon skill will look a lot like they do outside Abys, you're being able to use Coronach so often that it really doesnt matter, the DoT skyrockets. Not to mention you conserve ammo lol

In the end it comes down to how you play Ranger as to which weapon you'll get the most benefit from. If all you care about is big weapon skill numbers, stick with Gandiva and Jishnu's. If you want to add new dimensions to the job and still have big numbers, build the Annihilator. Save the Yoichi's for Samurais, because it's garbage on Ranger.
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 04:00:45  
Remora.Dodu said:
For the time being, a ranger using Gandiva and dealing with the enmity is going to be a lot more productive than trying to hide behind some other DD that could just as easily be fighting something else.

As long as Abyssea is relevant, Gandiva is infinitely more worthwhile than any other weapon. Once MP becomes a limitation in non-group situations again, the situation will need to be reaccessed(although unfortunately, its highly likely that ranger will just become utterly undesirable).
you know there is more to abyssea than hitting exp parties right? there really is no question that a ranger can solo any of the TP mobs, if need be TP in sleep arrows. but for situations where you are killing NMs or w/e rng is NOT the tank and a rng pulling hate will just piss everyone off let alone leaving you dead till the fight is over. using gandiva and just standing around for a while so you dont take hate is a poor choice compared to being able to shoot as much as you want.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 04:06:12  
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
Save the Yoichi's for Samurais, because it's garbage on Ranger.
while yoichi doesnt have the enmity aftermath it still does have the ws enmity reduction. ws aside yoichi is still the most powerful weapon for rng not to mention how much less delay it has compared to annihilater. if you want to chill out with triple regain and just shoot ws, yoichi wins >.>;;;;
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2011-03-22 04:14:43  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
Save the Yoichi's for Samurais, because it's garbage on Ranger.
while yoichi doesnt have the odd aftermath it still does have the ws enmity reduction. ws aside yoichi is still the most powerful weapon for rng not to mention how much less delay it has compared to annihilater. if you want to chill out with triple regain and just shoot ws, yoichi wins >.>;;;;

Oh right, I forgot where 58 delay made such a huge difference......... except for giving you a smaller tp return per shot.

Yoichi offers nothing to a Ranger that the gun doesnt. I know you're not gonna talk about the aftermath between the two, because the Anni's aftermath opens a lot of possibilities while the bow's aftermath is... you guessed it... only good for Samurai.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4