New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG weapon advice
RNG weapon advice
 Asura.Yunalaysca
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 04:18:12  
o sorry i forgot arrows had 240 delay on them (let me help you with the math, it's not a 58 delay difference, more like a 210~ delay difference)

additionally using arrows lets you swap between different status arrows, while it may seem minor are still an incredible help.

additionally......................... im sorry but if you had anything more than a pld tanking, you dont need to constantly nuke your enmity, yes it's important for ws due to the spike dmg, and yes yoichi loses it for barrage as well, it is not needed, unless you have perle sam's and pink ninjas rolling with you. must be since you even tp in novio...... and please dont talk about getting more tp with 58 delay when you only barely get a 5 hit with your build (if you sub sam) on a 823 delay weapon.......
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2011-03-22 04:29:09  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
additionally using arrows lets you swap between different status arrows, while it may seem minor are still an incredible help.

lol
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 04:31:47  
demons are useless? can you sleep a mob with a gun? what about paralyze them let alone silence them?
By Rieekil 2011-03-22 04:32:05  
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

lol
lol?

sry but i didt get it ?
what to lol @ ?
status arrows ?
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2011-03-22 06:52:12  
lets be serious here... no one in their right mind would rely on a ranger to apply status effects to a mob. quite literally, every single situation where you'd ever consider applying a status effect, is a situation where you likely have a rdm to do it for enfeeble accuracy, potency and duration. It makes absolutely zero sense to have a ranger enfeeble anything when you account for how often those arrows actually do proc, not to mention their effect duration. So if the ability to use enfeebling arrows is one of the largest arguments you can make for a Yoichi, you should probably readjust your priorities.

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
must be since you even tp in novio...... and please dont talk about getting more tp with 58 delay when you only barely get a 5 hit with your build (if you sub sam) on a 823 delay weapon.......

and right... lets dig through my item sets now! arent we cool. Yes, I TP in a NoviA earring, what of it? it's not like there are a million spectacular choices for the ear slot, and I'm not exactly hurting on R.Acc... now that you mention it, I havent updated those item sets in a long time so I'll do that now. As far as hit builds go, I'm sure you just neglected to see the 4-hit item set in there, but that's ok. I'm sorry... how much R.Atk gear did you have to sacrifice to get 4 hits? yup, I thought so.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 06:57:50  
*** your 4 hit build I got me a 3 hit build!!!

Also status effect arrows really? What are you soloing something with more than 20k on rng? Cause anything less you could zerg it. Anything else and you either shouldn't be on rng or should have a rdm or whm etc.

The only useful status effects rng can do is acid/sleep bolts
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 07:07:05  
Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Both WSes for relic do less than slugwinder. A lot less then Jishnu's/Wildfire inside abyssea.
Coronarch beats slugshot if used by a 90 anni in just pure ws dmg in abyssea. Doesn't count the extra dmg from being able to just do as many as you want whenever even sekka 2 without worrying about hate or the extra skillchain dmg when you do. Outside they are close.

+25% ws dmg is no joke son. anni racc/ratt aint too shabby either.
[+]
 Leviathan.Nuin
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Nuin 2011-03-22 07:08:53  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Both WSes for relic do less than slugwinder. A lot less then Jishnu's/Wildfire inside abyssea.
Coronarch beats slugshot if used by a 90 anni in just pure ws dmg in abyssea. Doesn't count the extra dmg from being able to just do as many as you want whenever even sekka 2 without worrying about hate or the extra skillchain dmg when you do. Outside they are close.

+25% ws dmg is no joke son. anni racc/ratt aint too shabby either.
^
Dasva I choose you >:D
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-22 07:21:06  
Anybody know how Enmity is affected by tp on wildfire yet?
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 07:28:46  
Seriously the boost to coronarch has made anni the first relic I'm seriously considering going for.

Also as far as 3-4k sidewinders go... with capped pdif (which is impossible for rng even on mobs as weak as greater colibri unless you give the mob def down), 150str 250agi and +20% dmg from griffin claw you get like 4100
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 07:32:44  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Unfortunately I don't have people interested in testing so all and can't really do it solo. So all I really have is anecdotal evidence from fighting nms.

It seems at 100% it does normalish emnity and that higher amounts given smaller percentage of that... but the effect doesn't seem that strong. Not sure if anyone on BG has done real testing though.

And since from what I've it definitely seems based on dmg dealt like normal emnity it would be kinda annoying to test lol.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-22 07:33:57  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Unfortunately I don't have people interested in testing so all I really have is anecdotal evidence from fighting nms. It seems at 100% it does normalish emnity and that higher amounts given smaller percentage of that... but the effect doesn't seem that strong. Not sure if anyone on BG has done real testing though. And since from what I've it definitely seems based on dmg dealt like normal emnity it would be kinda annoying to test lol.

Meh lame, nice add effect but doesnt really do much then :p
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 07:36:01  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Meh lame, nice add effect but doesnt really do much then :p
From what I can tell. If I could get the right help for a few hours I could do real testing and get exact numbers but yeah... this kind of testing is boring enough to even get a single person to do it alone let alone a small group lol

Especially since against trash mobs even naked it should do almost 900... maybe I should look into -agi gear... lol
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-22 07:39:32  
But yeah, ontopic:

Annihilator is very much worth making.
Yoichi is aswell, but for rng-onry, Annihilator is better.

Edit:

Seen an Annihilator-RNG that only used Coro, pull hate before all the other non-relic rangers on Odin etc, kinda proves how strong the weapon is, when the weaponskills only give you 80CE >_>
 Gilgamesh.Majistical
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Majistical 2011-03-22 07:46:50  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

id like to know this as well, rarely use armageddon on rng because my wallet dont allow it, and using the gun on corsair ive only ever got to shoot up just normal xp mobs inside absyea..

and to the guy whos wondering what weapon...

go big or go home.. get both
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 07:49:40  
If there are any bahamut people would like to help I could set up some test procedures and figure it out...
 Asura.Hoshiku
user: Hoshiku
By Asura.Hoshiku 2011-03-22 10:49:12  
What exactly is normalish enmity? When I first got wildfire we played around in abyssea la theine. My friend came sam/blm and we tried things like wildfire vs a melee swing and wildfire vs stun. In both cases wildfire did not pull hate. I know I wasn't waiting for 300 tp for those tests although I have no clue what tp I was at, most likely above 100 and below 200 since we were waiting on my tp regain but I couldn't fire at 100 since he had to pull first.
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 12:45:50  
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
The Annihilator is by far the superior weapon for Ranger, always has been, always will be. The sole reason for this is enmity distribution.

Except, no. When group-work becomes a relevancy again, low-enmity options will probably take the lead. But as I said, for the time being, you're going to be infinitely more productive if you're not burdening some other player when they could be off doing something else.
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 12:48:39  
Additionally, there seems to be a whole lot of, "I don't understand how enmity works" going on in this thread. Even in situations where you are operating with multiple DD, regardless of a ranger's damage output and weapon choice, you're going to have your target's attention significantly less often than anyone else, greatly depreciating the value of Coronach and Namas Arrow.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 12:51:54  
Remora.Dodu said:
Additionally, there seems to be a whole lot of, "I don't understand how enmity works" going on in this thread. Even in situations where you are operating with multiple DD, regardless of a ranger's damage output and weapon choice, you're going to have your target's attention significantly less often than anyone else, greatly depreciating the value of Coronach and Namas Arrow.
Except in rngs case you don't want the mob to move at you at all. Which once you cap hate it will everytime time you shoot. Then you have DDs running after the mob which is running after you. This is part of the reason no one uses rng. Everyone who is dealing dmg even non traditional DDs will cap hate fairly easily and moving the mob like that is lowering everyones DPS
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 12:54:17  
1. Move just out of melee range
2. Still do more damage
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 12:57:05  
Asura.Hoshiku said:
What exactly is normalish enmity? When I first got wildfire we played around in abyssea la theine. My friend came sam/blm and we tried things like wildfire vs a melee swing and wildfire vs stun. In both cases wildfire did not pull hate. I know I wasn't waiting for 300 tp for those tests although I have no clue what tp I was at, most likely above 100 and below 200 since we were waiting on my tp regain but I couldn't fire at 100 since he had to pull first.
Normal is based on dmg and mob lvl. I pulled hate all the time with it. I find it hard to believe you didn't pull hate with wildfire against just a melee swing or stun unless you did super crappy dmg. I've pulled hate late game against tanks. Hell against things that resist physical (I'm looking at you rani) I tended to pull hate every wildfire no matter what. Well ok not no matter what. When I'm double weak they deal 0 dmg so not then lol. But just switch to slugshot than

But here's normal dmg dealt emnity.

[ CE ] = [ CE Modifier ] x [ Damage Dealt ]
[ VE ] = [ VE Modifier ] x [ Damage Dealt ]

[ CE Modifier ] = 80 / { floor( 31 * [ Level ] / 50 ) + 6 }
[ VE Modifier ] = 240 / { floor( 31 * [ Level ] / 50 ) + 6 }
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 12:59:07  
Remora.Dodu said:
1. Move just out of melee range
2. Still do more damage
That would work if slugshot still did alot more dmg than coronarch. But it doesn't coronarch actually does more. And that's not taking the fact you will be shooting at proper range and not have to worry about emnity
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 13:08:24  
Who's talking about Slugshot? Jishnu's Radiance will do more than either even at inappropriate range.
By Serj 2011-03-22 13:09:26  
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
and right... lets dig through my item sets now! arent we cool. Yes, I TP in a NoviA earring, what of it? it's not like there are a million spectacular choices for the ear slot, and I'm not exactly hurting on R.Acc... now that you mention it, I havent updated those item sets in a long time so I'll do that now. As far as hit builds go, I'm sure you just neglected to see the 4-hit item set in there, but that's ok. I'm sorry... how much R.Atk gear did you have to sacrifice to get 4 hits? yup, I thought so.

You're war gear is still horrific.

and this

Is awful. Your annihilator and ukon cry.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 13:10:25  
Cause everyone is a bow rng and has jishnus. And it certianly wont outside of abyssea.

But sure if you want to go there wildfire can easily beat jishnus and range wont matter at all is 100% accurate much more consistent dmg etc
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 13:12:40  
Hi, welcome to the thread. Did you read the OP?

He wanted to know which was better: Annihilator, Yoichinoyumi, Armageddon, or Gandvia

The answer is Gandiva, for now.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-22 13:14:51  
Remora.Dodu said:

He wanted to know which was better: Annihilator, Yoichinoyumi, Armageddon, or Gandvia

But the OP allready have that, and allmost Armageddon, so the question was:
Is annihilator or yoichi worth it?
[+]
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 13:16:37  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Remora.Dodu said:

But the OP allready have that, and allmost Armageddon, so the question was:
Is annihilator or yoichi worth it?

And the answer for someone with gandiva is no. Youd be gimping your dmg in almost all situations using that.
[+]
By Serj 2011-03-22 13:16:52  
Remora.Dodu said:

I'd say Armageddon > Gandiva > Yoichi > Annihilator inside abyssea atm, since hate on any decent tank isn't an issue and you'll want to do the best damage possible in the shortest amount of time after all staggers.

I think it will be Anni > Armageddon > Yoichi > Gandiva once the game goes outside if we have to worry about enmity balances. Which doesn't mean using pld tanks, because that's probably the biggest advocate for using relic ws atm because they can't hold hate worth a ***.
[+]