2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » RNG weapon advice
RNG weapon advice
By Serj 2011-03-22 13:17:35  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Remora.Dodu said:
Hi, welcome to the thread. Did you read the OP?

He wanted to know which was better: Annihilator, Yoichinoyumi, Armageddon, or Gandvia

The answer is Gandiva, for now.

But the OP allready have that, and allmost Armageddon, so the question was:
Is annihilator or yoichi worth it?

I think it was answered that Annihilator would be the most worthwhile.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 13:19:08  
Must be blind. I've skimmed twice now, and can't find where he said he nearly had both Empyreans.

Regardless, the answer would then be to wait until the trial system developed, and to not prematurely blow a lot of money on a weapon that nobody is truly certain will stay relevant.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-22 13:19:29  
Serj said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Remora.Dodu said:
Hi, welcome to the thread. Did you read the OP?

He wanted to know which was better: Annihilator, Yoichinoyumi, Armageddon, or Gandvia

The answer is Gandiva, for now.

But the OP allready have that, and allmost Armageddon, so the question was:
Is annihilator or yoichi worth it?

I think it was answered that Annihilator would be the most worthwhile.

Yeah I was just telling that person what the OP really asked for :P
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
サーバ: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2011-03-22 13:19:39  
Armagedonn WS is amazing. The only problem is ***that resists magic...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-03-22 13:20:33  
Remora.Dodu said:
Must be blind. I've skimmed twice now, and can't find where he said he nearly had both Empyreans.

Regardless, the answer would then be to wait until the trial system developed, and to not prematurely blow a lot of money on a weapon that nobody is truly certain will stay relevant.

It's in the OP post.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 13:22:06  
..And that you've got to completely rearrange your physically offensive atma to make it worth anything, which is going to subsequently destroy all damage generated through TP acclimation.

Unless something is physically resistant, Gandiva is going to be better.
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 13:22:42  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Remora.Dodu said:

It's in the OP post.

Christ. No idea how I missed that.
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 13:40:57  
Also good luck keeping up with dmg with only 70% of your ratt cause you are forcing yourself to stay just outside of melee range
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 13:51:05  
Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
Which is basically almost all nms in abyssea it appears. /sigh. Still was nice to be hitting 2k wildfires on rani while our tank kept meleeing for 0 hits... and by nice I mean until I was double weakened :(
 Bahamut.Phix
user: phix
By Bahamut.Phix 2011-03-22 14:02:31  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Which is basically almost all nms in abyssea it appears. /sigh. Still was nice to be hitting 2k wildfires on rani while our tank kept meleeing for 0 hits... and by nice I mean until I was double weakened :(
Also on jol/av recently wildfire was less than amazing so much so said person switched to bow .
Personally if i ever get the urge to do another emp i may just do gandiva even though i have cor and rng .
 Ramuh.Zidan
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Zidan 2011-03-22 14:16:57  
Bahamut.Dasva said:

It isnt all NMs though, while NMs like carabosse take like 400 dmg from wildfire, rani and friends seem to take about half the dmg(2k sounds about right). Bennu(zone boss of altepa) actually takes normal dmg so it was a lot of fun doing 4.6k wildfires to it, and that was /sam so could have probably broken 5k with the right buffs and /rdm(i'm lame and dont have /blm).

Also it is the best brewing weapon skill i know of, did a 64k wildfire to the chariot to pop rani(after killing rani, did 38k to it).

For RNG though probably the empy bow would be better.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2011-03-22 15:18:11  
Serj said:
You're war gear is still horrific.

and this

Is awful. Your annihilator and ukon cry.

How, exactly, is that gear set awful?
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 17:11:48  
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
lets be serious here... no one in their right mind would rely on a ranger to apply status effects to a mob. quite literally, every single situation where you'd ever consider applying a status effect, is a situation where you likely have a rdm to do it for enfeeble accuracy, potency and duration. It makes absolutely zero sense to have a ranger enfeeble anything when you account for how often those arrows actually do proc, not to mention their effect duration. So if the ability to use enfeebling arrows is one of the largest arguments you can make for a Yoichi, you should probably readjust your priorities.

Asura.Yunalaysca said:
must be since you even tp in novio...... and please dont talk about getting more tp with 58 delay when you only barely get a 5 hit with your build (if you sub sam) on a 823 delay weapon.......

and right... lets dig through my item sets now! arent we cool. Yes, I TP in a NoviA earring, what of it? it's not like there are a million spectacular choices for the ear slot, and I'm not exactly hurting on R.Acc... now that you mention it, I havent updated those item sets in a long time so I'll do that now. As far as hit builds go, I'm sure you just neglected to see the 4-hit item set in there, but that's ok. I'm sorry... how much R.Atk gear did you have to sacrifice to get 4 hits? yup, I thought so.
let me requote and bold for you:

Quote:
additionally using arrows lets you swap between different status arrows, while it may seem minor are still an incredible help

i hardly see that as the largest arguement, more like icing on the cake, cause last i checked on a normal setup there isnt much of anyone else being able to lower the mob's attack, if the did, it stacks.

as for your redone tp gear, you have a 5 hit and that is again subbing sam, soooo im gonna go with you are using a regain atma to give you 25 regain over the course of your time. gee if you had all of that regain why aren't you trying for a 3 hit? as serj said your anni and ukon cries. and trust me i looked at your "4 hit build" but you are using a mekki shakki and i instantly lol'd and moved on since i know no one in the right mind would use it now and that aside that's exactly 25 tp a hit, and you ws in less than that so you still have a 5 hit. if you have to sacrifice your vulcan's just to hit an easily obtained 4 hit that even gandiva can hit, then there is something horribly wrong.

Bahamut.Dasva said:
*** your 4 hit build I got me a 3 hit build!!!

Also status effect arrows really? What are you soloing something with more than 20k on rng? Cause anything less you could zerg it. Anything else and you either shouldn't be on rng or should have a rdm or whm etc.

The only useful status effects rng can do is acid/sleep bolts
what is wrong with soloing something meaty O_o and if you cant 1 or 2 shot the mob tping in sleep arrows makes your party pretty happy.
i'd say the biggest mention of status arrows was because of demon arrows which are pretty nice period.

Serj said:
Diabolos.Sovereign said:
and right... lets dig through my item sets now! arent we cool. Yes, I TP in a NoviA earring, what of it? it's not like there are a million spectacular choices for the ear slot, and I'm not exactly hurting on R.Acc... now that you mention it, I havent updated those item sets in a long time so I'll do that now. As far as hit builds go, I'm sure you just neglected to see the 4-hit item set in there, but that's ok. I'm sorry... how much R.Atk gear did you have to sacrifice to get 4 hits? yup, I thought so.

You're war gear is still horrific.

and this

Is awful. Your annihilator and ukon cry.
serj you should look at the rest of the people in his shell, they have the weapons but not the gear to back it up, sooooooo the DPS is skewed amusingly in favor of the rng. if the people you are with suck then you may as well gimp yourself until they can actually do their job. im sorry dude, it's cool and all to have a relic, and it's cool that you love it so much, but you need to realize some of the more obvious points that have been tossed your way.
[+]
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2011-03-22 22:12:31  
Novia really isn't worth it anymore for an annihilator ranger. With af3 body, feet, af3 back, af3 neck, bucc belt, and aftermath you're @ -47 enmity. Novia is only adding -3 more enmity.

To answer OP, it depends on what you want to do with the weapons. Inside abyssea, jishnu's will do more damage than any of the other options, however you will pull hate and die. There's absolutely no way gandiva would out-damage annihilator on mobs like Rani. But if you're just xping or killing some t1 nms then sure go for it. The ammo is cheaper at least.

Outside abyssea, obviously gun pulls ahead without razed ruins. Coronach does about the same damage as slug shot now if you want some sort of number reference for damage.

With all that said, gandiva is retardedly easy to get if you want it. You might as well grab it before you get annihilator since it'll only take a few days instead of the months for annihilator.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 22:18:53  
also food for thought, a bow rng compared to a gun rng both with 4 hit builds, the bow rng gets 100% tp 29.5% faster than a gun rng, thus increasing ws frequency. additionally a 5 hit bow rng hits 100% tp 12% faster than a 4 hit gun rng.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-22 23:26:58  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
also food for thought, a bow rng compared to a gun rng both with 4 hit builds, the bow rng gets 100% tp 29.5% faster than a gun rng, thus increasing ws frequency. additionally a 5 hit bow rng hits 100% tp 12% faster than a 4 hit gun rng.
I'd really like to see your math on this. Because I'm 99.9% I know what you did wrong
[+]
 Remora.Dodu
By Remora.Dodu 2011-03-22 23:32:59  
Bismarck.Helel said:
To answer OP, it depends on what you want to do with the weapons. Inside abyssea, jishnu's will do more damage than any of the other options, however you will pull hate and die. There's absolutely no way gandiva would out-damage annihilator on mobs like Rani. But if you're just xping or killing some t1 nms then sure go for it. The ammo is cheaper at least.

Lets not generalize. If you're unable to stay alive against anything in Abyssea, its an issue of the personal competence of you or your healer, not the job that happens to be diverting the target's attention at the time. There isn't a single job that can't equip themselves in large amounts of PDT, juggle Seigen or Utsusemi, or simply get cure-spammed.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-22 23:36:56  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
I'd really like to see your math on this. Because I'm 99.9% I know what you did wrong
if you have come to a different conclusion than i did, i'd like to see your math, delay on the bow is 209 smaller than guns, keeping the same xhit as gun is obvious that a bow gets it faster.
 Fenrir.Queazy
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Queezy
By Fenrir.Queazy 2011-03-23 00:14:39  
Ive quit ffxi etc etc, so my statement hold not relevance BUT in response to the previous posts. Yoichi is the best weapon for rng period o.- lol. no but to be honest i honestly thinks its your play style and the surrounding ppl u play with honestly. Back when the game used to take some sort of thought pre abyssea personally i would have to say yoichi>anni. Anni is nice dont get me wrong but i can outdo a anni any day with yoichi. not to mention i can make light and dark SC not that it matter much. and yes yoichi best use is on a sam honestly. although its not worthless by any means for rng. and yes as of now Gandiva>all. And what is this blasphemy i see rngs talking about using armgeddon, just go lvl cor. Also OP(well i dont really kno dyna currency prices now) but b4 i knew yoichi was sumthing like 40-50mil more to make that anni. And if u dont have sam you really not getting all the fun out of yoichi to be honest cuz again thats where the real fun is.

~anyway back to games that cant be beat by a 6 year old.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-23 00:15:07  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
if you have come to a different conclusion than i did, i'd like to see your math, delay on the bow is 210-20 smaller than guns, keeping the same xhit as gun is obvious that a bow gets it faster.
The viability of keeping the same x-hit build isn't necessarily.

Sure most trial bows are around 540 the only arrows really worth are 90 delay. So that's 4.909 seconds to shoot. Assuming velocity shot and merits and full geared 2.95 seconds. You have about 2.8 sec before you can shoot again so 5.75 per shooting round. Assuming about 1 sec to ws animation and time to shoot again. So 18.25 for 4 hit 24 for 5 hit

15.2 tp per shot. Assuming only 45 store tp during ws that would require at least 72 during tp phase to achieve a 4 hit. Doable without a store tp atma /sam but barely. Like fully pimped out is 80. That's close enough where if rapid shot procs there's a chance you might miss your Xhit. Unless of course you aren't preshooting in snapshot.

Most trial guns are around 582 bullets are 240 delay. So that's 5.29 seconds to shoot. Assuming velocity shot and merits and full geared 3.17 seconds. You have about 2.8 sec before you can shoot again so 5.97 per shooting round. Assuming about 1 sec to ws animation and time to shoot again. So 18.91 for 4 hit. Faster than a 5 hit bow only 3.4% slower than a 4hit bow.

16.6 tp per shot. Assuming only 38 store tp during ws that would require at least 55 during tp phase to achieve a 4 hit. Very easy. Actually if you used a slightly higher delay gun and regain earring you could hit a 3 hit without regain/store tp atma.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-23 00:23:55  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
if you have come to a different conclusion than i did, i'd like to see your math, delay on the bow is 210-20 smaller than guns, keeping the same xhit as gun is obvious that a bow gets it faster.
The viability of keeping the same x-hit build isn't necessarily.

Sure most trial bows are around 540 the only arrows really worth are 90 delay. So that's 4.909 seconds to shoot. Assuming velocity shot and merits and full geared 2.95 seconds. You have about 2.8 sec before you can shoot again so 5.75 per shooting round. Assuming about 1 sec to ws animation and time to shoot again. So 18.25 for 4 hit 24 for 5 hit

15.2 tp per shot. Assuming only 45 store tp during ws that would require at least 72 during tp phase to achieve a 4 hit. Doable without a store tp atma /sam but barely. Like fully pimped out is 80. That's close enough where if rapid shot procs there's a chance you might miss your Xhit. Unless of course you aren't preshooting in snapshot.

Most trial guns are around 582 bullets are 240 delay. So that's 5.29 seconds to shoot. Assuming velocity shot and merits and full geared 3.17 seconds. You have about 2.8 sec before you can shoot again so 5.97 per shooting round. Assuming about 1 sec to ws animation and time to shoot again. So 18.91 for 4 hit. Faster than a 5 hit bow only 3.4% slower than a 4hit bow.

16.6 tp per shot. Assuming only 38 store tp during ws that would require at least 55 during tp phase to achieve a 4 hit. Very easy. Actually if you used a slightly higher delay gun and regain earring you could hit a 3 hit without regain/store tp atma.
i was including snapshot, dont need to include how much stp you need since it's already evident both can get a 4 hit, only things that really matter in my calculation is ranged delay, weapon/ammo delay, and it looks like you are calculating snapshot and velocity shot outside of the draw delay.

also yes im aware of the gun getting a 3 hit build, if a 524 delay bow can get it (albeit with a little help), then a gun definately can.
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-23 00:31:21  
Fenrir.Queazy said:
Ive quit ffxi etc etc, so my statement hold not relevance BUT in response to the previous posts. Yoichi is the best weapon for rng period o.- lol. no but to be honest i honestly thinks its your play style and the surrounding ppl u play with honestly. Back when the game used to take some sort of thought pre abyssea personally i would have to say yoichi>anni. Anni is nice dont get me wrong but i can outdo a anni any day with yoichi. not to mention i can make light and dark SC not that it matter much. and yes yoichi best use is on a sam honestly. although its not worthless by any means for rng. and yes as of now Gandiva>all. And what is this blasphemy i see rngs talking about using armgeddon, just go lvl cor. Also OP(well i dont really kno dyna currency prices now) but b4 i knew yoichi was sumthing like 40-50mil more to make that anni. And if u dont have sam you really not getting all the fun out of yoichi to be honest cuz again thats where the real fun is.

~anyway back to games that cant be beat by a 6 year old.
man i have been preaching that forever now ; ;
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-23 01:01:06  
The point of the store tp was to show how impractical it was to achieve the 4 hit on bow. And how something has small as rapid shot *** it up.

snapshot/velocity shot/rapid shot only effects the Weapon Delay / 110 period of shooting.

And lol at a "little help" for a bow 3 hit build. I wasn't aware that full timing at least 119 store tp was considering a little. Even with perfect gear that would require at least 2 store tp atmas. Gun could do it with 0. Guns get a huge delay in the form of bullets adding to tp gain but not effecting time to shoot. It's amazing. I wish I could shoot cannon shells with a normal gun lol
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-23 01:06:04  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
The point of the store tp was to show how impractical it was to achieve the 4 hit on bow. And how something has small as rapid shot *** it up.

snapshot/velocity shot/rapid shot only effects the Weapon Delay / 110 period of shooting.

And lol at a "little help" for a bow 3 hit build. I wasn't aware that full timing at least 119 store tp was considering a little. Even with perfect gear that would require at least 2 store tp atmas. Gun could do it with 0. Guns get a huge delay in the form of bullets adding to tp gain but not effecting time to shoot. It's amazing. I wish I could shoot cannon shells with a normal gun lol
cannon shells would be amusing lol. as for the little help i was refering to having a cor and a sam in your party, which i conveniently have when in dyna lol. we're ditching the whole blm time nukes for the towers in xarc to just having my rng one shot them lol.

also wait a minute ; ; im gonna put together a set for harrier to get a 4 hit and let you see if it really is impractical :|

edit: unfinished due to lazyness

when you ws you'd lose the goading and hoard, which is a lose of uh 9 stp, this existing setup gives 25.2 tp you could add an alma torque, brisk mask among some other things to have a solid 4 hit.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-23 01:15:16  
They would be rediculous. Even cor + sam would need lucky or 11 to make it. Even then you couldn't take off hardly any for ws.

By impractical I meant that not everyone has acess to all that ***. And of course the whole you are so close to barely being able to make it that you need the store tp in your snap shot slots and if rapid shot procs then you wont get it and it could cost you a hit
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-23 01:20:41  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
They would be rediculous. Even cor + sam would need lucky or 11 to make it. Even then you couldn't take off hardly any for ws.

By impractical I meant that not everyone has acess to all that ***. And of course the whole you are so close to barely being able to make it that you need the store tp in your snap shot slots and if rapid shot procs then you wont get it and it could cost you a hit
im sorry but if you're going to have a gandiva/harrier/yoichi/gastre you better have got the gear for it. nothing pisses me off more than a full perle sam with a masamune.

cor also has regain roll ^_~

edit: also im not sure if im wrong but i've never really looked into it, and never seen the problem myself. but afaik rapid shot doesnt affect how much tp you get from the shot.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-23 01:23:15  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

when you ws you'd lose the goading and hoard, which is a lose of uh 9 stp, this existing setup gives 25.2 tp you could add an alma torque, brisk mask among some other things to have a solid 4 hit.
Lol at Some other things. The only other things you could add is brutal and mekki. Oh and that only puts you to 99.4 tp. You could lose the Hoard on ws and still be fine though. Again assuming rapid shot doesn't proc
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2011-03-23 01:23:21  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

im sorry but if you're going to have a gandiva/harrier/yoichi/gastre you better have got the gear for it. nothing pisses me off more than a full perle sam with a masamune.

Regarding the Perle SAM with the Masamune it's best to just accept it since anything involving gems these days has became bandwagon in a sense. Now I'd be pissed if I seen a full Perle WAR with Ukon, or a full Aurore MNK with Vere.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-03-23 01:25:51  
Asura.Yunalaysca said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:

There's a difference between having gear (lol gastre!?!) and having perfect tp sets followed by semi gimped ws sets just to achieve your hit build. And psh like harrier is that hard to get.

Sure regain roll... that brings you down to 0 hit right? Wanna see the 2 hit culverin build I'm working on? Or my 3 hit 2-4 shot spitfire that requires no store tp in the ws! Seriously 40 store tp and some regain is a rediculous amount of help. I'm pretty sure I actually could make some kind of 2 hit build on some jobs with it lol
[+]
 Asura.Yunalaysca
By Asura.Yunalaysca 2011-03-23 01:28:01  
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Asura.Yunalaysca said:

Lol at Some other things. The only other things you could add is brutal and mekki. Oh and that only puts you to 99.4 tp. You could lose the Hoard on ws and still be fine though. Again assuming rapid shot doesn't proc
that's for a 4 hit not 3 hit lol, adding brisk mask to that set alone solidify's a 4 hit even losing hoard/goading/brisk since you get a 2.4 tp overflow which means your ws only needs to 22.6 tp