Food Regulation, Defeat Child Obesity

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Food regulation, defeat child obesity
Food regulation, defeat child obesity
First Page 2 3 4
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-10 09:09:28  
Bulllshit, if I were a kid, I'd rage

Quote:
San Francisco enacts 'Happy Meal' ban; city to stop restaurants from offering toys with fatty foods

First, California lawmakers came for your weed. Now, they're coming for your Happy Meals.

The McDonald's Happy Meal went the way of Prop. 19 in San Francisco Tuesday when the city's board of supervisors voted to forbid restaurants from offering toys with meals that contain too much fat and sugar.

Restaurants would also need to provide fruits and vegetables with meals that come with free toys. The city said the measure was an effort to combat childhood obesity.

"We're part of a movement that is moving forward an agenda of food justice," Supervisor Eric Mar told the Los Angeles Times. "From San Francisco to New York City, the epidemic of childhood obesity in this country is making our kids sick, particularly kids from low income neighborhoods, at an alarming rate."

The rule, scheduled to take effect in December, says that restaurants may include a toy with a meal it contains fewer than 600 calories – food and drink combined -- and if less than 35% of the calories come from fat, The Times reported.

McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud said in a statement that the company was "extremely disappointed" with the decision.

"It's not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for," Proud said.

San Francisco mayor Gavin Newsome had said he would veto the measure, but it passed with a veto-proof margin.

Tuesday's vote came on the same day that McDonald's brought their famed McRib sandwich back to menus for a four-week run in certain cities.

The processed pork sandwich, which has 26 grams of fat, has appeared on McDonald's menus on and off for years and has inspired a cult following, complete with pro-McRib Facebook pages.

City supervisors had been mulling the issue for months and had decided to put off voting on the ban until after voters had gone to the polls in order to make sure the measure didn't become an election issue.

Santa Clara County enacted a similar ban on toys accompanying high-calorie meals in April.

Supervisor Bevan Dufty, who voted for the ban, told The Times that critics should not dismiss the legislation as a nutty effort by San Franciscans.

"I do believe the industry is going to take note of this," Duffy said. "I don't care how much they say, 'It's San Francisco, they're wacked out there.' "
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-10 09:17:58  
But the toy was the only reason I got a happy meal... Most of the time I threw away the food or someone else had it lol.
[+]
 Asura.Emoneaone
サーバ: Asura
user: Oldsarge
By Asura.Emoneaone 2010-11-10 09:21:27  
It's the Left Coast. California is a big cereal bowl, all fruits and flakes. The idiot citizenry keeps electing these nanny-state elitists who know so much better than you do how you should run your life. They will protect you from yourself.
If you've an ounce of brains, vote with your feet. Move out of the Left Coast as fast as you can!
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-10 09:21:56  
As I remember you could always buy the toy without the meal.
[+]
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
サーバ: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-11-10 09:22:31  
I want to say that this is like banning a type of food because it tastes good and you'll eat a lot of it. But I'm really not sure that is a good comparison.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
user: Katniss
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 09:27:20  
lol. sometimes i'm glad i live in germany and not the US. beer at the age of 16, hard alcohol at the age of 18... and McRib and fat food at any age and as much as you want :D
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-11-10 09:30:12  
:( this makes me sad and it also makes me sad when you post facebook updates in german and I can't troll/comment them!
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 09:31:48  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
:( this makes me sad and it also makes me sad when you post facebook updates in german and I can't troll/comment them!

orz ... 90% of my FB posts are in english tho XD ... you could also use google translate or ask me :D
 Ramuh.Urial
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-11-10 09:32:05  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Google translate. Then you can halfway understand and troll them.

Edit: This is what I do for my Swedish friends. But be warned it will come through sounding very broken and childish via Google trans.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-11-10 09:32:11  
We had this *** in the UK called Jamie Oliver who went to all the schools and banned all the food that was fatty.

He managed to make school meals worse, which means I just ended up bringing my own fatty food to school.
[+]
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 09:36:33  
Shiva.Flionheart said:
We had this *** in the UK called Jamie Oliver who went to all the schools and banned all the food that was fatty.

He managed to make school meals worse, which means I just ended up bringing my own fatty food to school.
LOL i saw that episode. the kids were like "EWWW" when they saw what he cooked XD
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-11-10 09:42:43  
Yeah when I graduated highschool and got into college and ya know started being able to walk back to my dorm and cook lunch, or even now I have enough time to leave work go home cook real quick and come back, I don't fear lunch like I used to.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-10 09:45:22  
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
lol. sometimes i'm glad i live in germany and not the US. beer at the age of 16, hard alcohol at the age of 18... and McRib and fat food at any age and as much as you want :D
Do they still use trans fats?
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 09:46:58  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
No idea as i dont care :P as long as i dont become fat or feel sick i eat it :3
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-10 09:47:54  
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
No idea as i dont care :P as long as i dont become fat or feel sick i eat it :3
You would know if they switched the oil on you these past years, lol. It's just not the same.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-11-10 09:52:19  
I wish I would have had beer at 16, had to wait 5 years. Also I wouldn't be paying out the *** for Warsteiner since it's a domestic beer there.

But on the note of fast food places changing the way they make things. It seems like even larger chain restaurant that you dine in are changing how they make things and it just seems to be cheaper and grosses. I only get fast food now if I'm rushing and I only go out to eat at smaller private owned establishments. Idk something about a small local restaurant just taste better.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 09:52:41  
well, i dont go to Fast Food restaurants often. Like 1-2 per month... so I wouldnt really care. I love to go to restaurants tho... preferably greek, italian or thai <3
 Leviathan.Hastefeet
user: Andras
By Leviathan.Hastefeet 2010-11-10 09:53:30  
Shiva.Flionheart said:

some guy did that to the middle school i went to

he like had all the sugary drinks in the vending machines replaced with some shitty juice

and he got the food in the cafeteria worse
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-11-10 09:56:31  
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
well, i dont go to Fast Food restaurants often. Like 1-2 per month... so I wouldnt really care. I love to go to restaurants tho... preferably greek, italian or thai <3
I do too, but over the past 5ish years I'd say a lot of the bigger name nation wide chains have started to suck. But it has given me the chance to discover some amazing restaurants around my town. I know when I was in Sweden practically every single restaurant I ate at was absolutely amazing though. I wan't Kebab now....which isn't served anywhere within 1hr of me....I made myself sad.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 09:56:41  
Ramuh.Urial said:
I wish I would have had beer at 16, had to wait 5 years. Also I wouldn't be paying out the *** for Warsteiner since it's a domestic beer there.

You need to try Franziskaner or Paulaner. Or Beck's ... best (German) beer ever!
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-11-10 09:58:07  
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
Ramuh.Urial said:

You need to try Franziskaner or Paulaner. Or Beck's ... best (German) beer ever!
I've had Beck's but the other two no. It's hard to find good Imported beers in the States. Q_Q
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-11-10 09:58:37  
Ramuh.Urial said:

But on the note of fast food places changing the way they make things. It seems like even larger chain restaurant that you dine in are changing how they make things and it just seems to be cheaper and grosses. I only get fast food now if I'm rushing and I only go out to eat at smaller private owned establishments. Idk something about a small local restaurant just taste better.

Definitely.
 Ramuh.Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-11-10 10:00:42  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Ramuh.Urial said:

Definitely.

The only chain dine in restaurant I go to is a Atlanta based chain...so it has what 15 restaurants in my state. And it's arguably one of the best Mexican restaurants around. But IDK the hole in the wall restaurants attract me to them lol.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 10:05:05  
we have an awesome american diner here, too. i go there for lunch sometimes as its close to my office. its not even much more expensive than mc donalds or burger king.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 10:06:31  
Ramuh.Urial said:
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
Ramuh.Urial said:

I've had Beck's but the other two no. It's hard to find good Imported beers in the States. Q_Q
i bet :\ ... isnt it possible to order it on ebay? i remember i ordered some sweets and coke w/ weird tastes we never had over here a few years ago :P
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-11-10 10:08:00  
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:

i miss germany :(
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 10:11:25  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:

lol and getting drunk on the street in front of the police is fun too. at the age of 18 XD haha.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-11-10 10:12:32  
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Sylph.Lotusbluete said:

lol and getting drunk on the street in front of the police is fun too. at the age of 18 XD haha.

i was scared of the police :O

they did not seem as gentle as american police!
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-11-10 10:13:36  
Lol @ American police being gentle.

Anyway, this is ***. Why should they have a say in what people eat and what you get with your meal? That's ridiculous.
 Sylph.Lotusbluete
By Sylph.Lotusbluete 2010-11-10 10:14:17  
maybe i had the girl bonus, but they were always nice. one day my friend and me danced for them at the main station and they clapped LOL. no one cared we were drunk as hell.
First Page 2 3 4