Political Science V Philosophy

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Political Science v Philosophy
Political Science v Philosophy
First Page 2 3 4
 Phoenix.Excelior
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 14:30:58  
Currently I'm a political science/Law & Society dual major in college. I'm thinking of changing majors to just philosophy and I'm curious if anyone else has been in this situation:

You enjoy politics but you think politics in general is stupid. The concept of freedom is relative. You think that America might be free compared to some communist states but America is not truly free. Humans are born free from birth and the only thing a law can do is restrain freedom. There is no law saying you can go to school; you can go to school whether the law says you can or not. Laws, however, can stop you from going to school by punishing you. Therefore laws can only limit freedom, never enhance freedom.

Therefore:

When you consider laws like abortion the argument always comes down to a question of morality and constitutionality. This is incredibly weak and a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE argument to make. Basing anything on the constitution would require you to first agree with the constitution. The constitution is not reality, the consitution is another man-made self restraint of natural freedoms. Therefore; to agree that the constitution is worth upholding would require you to first acknowledge that it was written correctly and that the values in there are moral. If you agree that the constitution is the ultimate source of morality you must then ask yourself why it can be amended. If you can amend the constitution so it says: "All gays must be killed", would you still agree with the constitution? It would be constitutional but you would no longer agree with the morality. Therefore you must then acknowledge that the constitution is flawed because it was created by people who had their own set of values which may or may not be the same as yours. The constiution can be changed to redefine the goals and ideas of society, so arguing whether an issue is constitutional or not is irrelevant. Unfortunately most law is based on the constitution which means that almost all of school involving law is completely subjective and not factual.

TL:DR:

I dont see how u can base a degree off of somebody else's interpretation of reality. Morals, laws, and society in general is man-made and inherently flawed.

Opinions? Do you think philosophy is better degree?
[+]
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-10-31 14:34:05  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Currently I'm a political science/Law & Society dual major in college. I'm thinking of changing majors to just philosophy and I'm curious if anyone else has been in this situation:

You enjoy politics but you think politics in general is stupid. The concept of freedom is relative. You think that America might be free compared to some communist states but America is not truly free. Humans are born free from birth and the only thing a law can do is restrain freedom. There is no law saying you can go to school; you can go to school whether the law says you can or not. Laws, however, can stop you from going to school by punishing you. Therefore laws can only limit freedom, never enhance freedom.

Therefore:

When you consider laws like abortion the argument always comes down to a question of morality and constitutionality. This is incredibly weak and a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE argument to make. Basing anything on the constitution would require you to first agree with the constitution. The constitution is not reality, the consitution is another man-made self restraint of natural freedoms. Therefore; to agree that the constitution is worth upholding would require you to first acknowledge that it was written correctly and that the values in there are moral. If you agree that the constitution is the ultimate source of morality you must then ask yourself why it can be amended. If you can amend the constitution so it says: "All gays must be killed", would you still agree with the constitution? It would be constitutional but you would no longer agree with the morality. Therefore you must then acknowledge that the constitution is flawed because it was created by people who had their own set of values which may or may not be the same as yours. The constiution can be changed to redefine the goals and ideas of society, so arguing whether an issue is constitutional or not is irrelevant. Unfortunately most law is based on the constitution which means that almost all of school involving law is completely subjective and not factual.

I dont see how u can base a degree off of somebody else's interpretation of reality. Morals, laws, and society in general is man-made and inherently flawed.

I'll say, that is the most well thought out and yet mindfucking statement I've ever seen you make, kudos. You bring up valid points, and I'll entertain them later, but for now I gtg, or I'll be late for work.
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-10-31 14:34:21  
Phoenix.Excelior said:

kinda caught up atm, i'll read it later but don't delete your op like last time ok
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-31 14:38:07  
Quote:
Therefore laws can only limit freedom, never enhance freedom.

I disagree.

Let's say rape is legal.

Girl gets raped, guy isn't punished at all. He does it again. She's scared shitless. She is scared to walk down the street. This isn't freedom.

Rape is illegal.

Girl gets rape, guy is thrown in jail. It may take a while for her to be comfortable going outside, but knowing the guy is behind bars, it will definitely be easier for her to make the transition into being able to go outside again now than if the guy could get away with it every time.

The law that rape is illegal enhances this woman's freedom.
[+]
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-31 14:39:33  
Also, setting up one basis, and transitioning into therefore, therefore, therefore, etc, is a slippery slope.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 14:43:53  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Quote:
Therefore laws can only limit freedom, never enhance freedom.
I disagree. Let's say rape is legal. Girl gets raped, guy isn't punished at all. He does it again. She's scared shitless. She is scared to walk down the street. This isn't freedom. Rape is illegal. Girl gets rape, guy is thrown in jail. It may take a while for her to be comfortable going outside, but knowing the guy is behind bars, it will definitely be easier for her to make the transition into being able to go outside again now than if the guy could get away with it every time. The law that rape is illegal enhances this woman's freedom.

And yet in some cultures you can rape and beat your wife without consequence. Why is that? Do you think they are less moral? If so, who came up and decided what is moral? Do you think morality is also subjective? If you think morality is subjective then you can't really say whether its right or wrong to rape a woman. I think we can conclude it is wrong because we grow up in a culture that has made that conclusion, this is still only a matter of opinion.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-31 14:45:54  
I was never debating the rightness or wrongness of raping a woman. I simply stated that her freedom is enhanced by that law, whether anyone agrees with that law or not.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 14:47:16  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I was never debated the rightness or wrongness of raping a woman. I simply stated that her freedom is enhanced by that law, whether anyone agrees with that law or not.

Oh ok. I guess my main point was that by creating laws we're actually restraining human growth. Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong. Until we try to understand why we believe what we believe then we dont really know what we believe. I think that's the state of current politics.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-10-31 14:48:58  
For starters, think about how employers will look at your degree. I may be biased and wrong here, but I'm pretty sure an employer would look more favourably upon a political sciences degree than a lolphilosophy degree.

Also, in some situations it's possible for laws to allow freedom (although on reflection it would usually jsut be relative to previous levels of freedom) for example: A law is passed in [insert third world country name here] saying that girls are now allowed to go to school. This gives her the freedom to get an education, get a better job and improve her quality of life. You could (depending on our point of view) call this an increase in freedom.

But in the end it all comes down to this: Which subject do you enjoy more? (From your previous threads I'm going to assume politics). Because that's the one you should really be studying.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-31 14:50:22  
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Therefore:

ahahahahahahhahahaha

one is all but unemployable

the other stands on the sidelines and wrings their hands, painstakingly deciding the best approaches to issues they are powerless to influence or stop

either way have fun living below the poverty line

it takes real talent to get a four year degree and still manage it

(you'll be pretty good at unpaid forum debates though)
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-31 14:50:33  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
And yet in some cultures you can rape and beat your wife without consequence. Why is that? Do you think they are less moral? If so, who came up and decided what is moral? Do you think morality is also subjective? If you think morality is subjective then you can't really say whether its right or wrong to rape a woman. I think we can conclude it is wrong because we grow up in a culture that has made that conclusion, this is still only a matter of opinion.

It's reflective of culture and upbringing sure, but regardless the victim in any case will still be hurt, so it's pretty easy to label it as wrong from any civilised point of view. I'd recommend sticking with your Political Science, Philosophy has an *** effect on people, and at least you'd have better job aspects
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-10-31 14:52:08  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong.

Religion.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 14:52:20  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
It's reflective of culture and upbringing sure, but regardless the victim in any case will still be hurt, so it's pretty easy to label it as wrong from any civilised point of view. I'd recommend sticking with your Political Science, Philosophy has an *** effect on people.

I think most people on these forums would agree that my being an *** hole is irreversible at this point.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-31 14:53:39  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I was never debated the rightness or wrongness of raping a woman. I simply stated that her freedom is enhanced by that law, whether anyone agrees with that law or not.

Oh ok. I guess my main point was that by creating laws we're actually restraining human growth. Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong. Until we try to understand why we believe what we believe then we dont really know what we believe. I think that's the state of current politics.
You could say that laws may restrain human growth, but if there were no laws at all, what would there be? Chaos. All those guys in prison. The ones who are thugs and murderers, would kill you just for looking at them the wrong way. They'd all be on the street. Those illegal research labs? Their ***would get stolen and sold off or the researchers may be killed on the basis that someone doesn't like what they're doing. Etc. etc.

If anyone could just up and do whatever the *** they want. The person who is best with a gun, has the largest influence over a large group of people, the biggest strongest person, etc is going to run ***.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-31 14:55:59  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
I think most people on these forums would agree that my being an *** hole is irreversible at this point.

Well I dunno, but professionally I'd recommend a more concrete degree, since you are paying for it, but that's my opinion.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-31 14:57:18  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Well I dunno, but professionally I'd recommend a more concrete degree, since you are paying for it, but that's my opinion.

what

who would go to college to get a return on a substantial investment of money and time

that's just crazy talk
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 15:00:24  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
You could say that laws may restrain human growth, but if there were no laws at all, what would there be? Chaos. All those guys in prison. The ones who are thugs and murderers, would kill you just for looking at them the wrong way. They'd all be on the street. Those illegal research labs? Their ***would get stolen and sold off or the researchers may be killed on the basis that someone doesn't like what they're doing. Etc. etc. If anyone could just up and do whatever the *** they want. The person who is best with a gun, has the largest influence over a large group of people, the biggest strongest person, etc is going to run ***.

I think some laws are good, like ones against murder and stealing. I dont think they are good because they are "moral" I think a certain level of cooperation between humans is essential to the evolution of society. However, laws that attempt to restrain freedoms by branding certain actions are /wrong/ are detrimental to the evolution of society. Here are some examples:

1. Laws that ban weed. Who the *** decided it was wrong? Why do we care that so and so decided this? Who says that his opinion means ***anyways? Etc

2. Laws that ban gay marriage. Who decided this is wrong? (I think we know) Who decided that we should give a ***? What makes them correct and somebody else "wrong"?

I'm sure there are many more but you get the point.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-10-31 15:00:50  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
what who would go to college to get a return on a substantial investment of money and time that's just crazy talk

I know! Though I have seen a lot of my own friends do stupid degrees, or degrees they never put to use. Whyyyyy
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2010-10-31 15:03:12  
People not smoking weed is detrimental to the evolution of society? >.>
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 15:03:56  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
what who would go to college to get a return on a substantial investment of money and time that's just crazy talk
I know! Though I have seen a lot of my own friends do stupid degrees, or degrees they never put to use. Whyyyyy

Well my ultimate goal is law school, and philosophy is one of the main degrees that helps you to prepare. Political science is another traditional degree for law school.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-31 15:05:30  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

Well my ultimate goal is law school, and philosophy is one of the main degrees that helps you to prepare. Political science is another traditional degree for law school.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/law-schools-now-require-applicants-to-honestly-sta,18089/
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-31 15:05:58  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

what

who would go to college to get a return on a substantial investment of money and time

that's just crazy talk

In the future, we will be sending bots to college, and the world will be a better place.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-10-31 15:06:54  
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

what

that's just crazy talk

In the future, we will be sending bots to college, and the world will be a better place.

i can only pray for the hastening of that day
 Carbuncle.Taintedone
By Carbuncle.Taintedone 2010-10-31 15:27:17  
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:

Unless you have Doc Holliday!

JOHNNY RINGO!!!!!! I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY!!!

Regrettably, I can't watch this movie anymore. Shame to, it was one of my favs.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2010-10-31 15:34:24  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong.
Religion.
Not really more or less religion, but rather I'd say the cloning part isn't ever gonna happen thanks to what religion says, but hey good luck trying lol.

Stem cell research is bettering humanity and there are more than enough governmental companies to take care of any issue that arises, but it just goes a bit more when you talk about trust in your fellow man is the real issue.

what we don't fully understand. We fear

Ramuh.Haseyo
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-10-31 15:35:50  
Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Religion.
Not really more or less religion, but rather I'd say the cloning part isn't ever gonna happen thanks to what religion says, but hey good luck trying lol.

Stem cell research is bettering humanity and there are more than enough governmental companies to take care of any issue that arises, but it just goes a bit more when you talk about trust in your fellow man is the real issue.

what we don't fully understand. We fear

That explains why we never invade Canada. Who knows what we'll find o.o
First Page 2 3 4