Political Science V Philosophy

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Political Science v Philosophy
Political Science v Philosophy
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-01 13:35:46  
Bismarck.Helixx said:

Psychology should go way up, lolgeology should go down. How is "Life Sciences" even with CPSC and somehow Psychology below that?

Psychology is one of my favorites simply because you have to deal with it on a daily basis. Everything you learn about is influenced by it, and understanding it(yes, understanding the way you understand) can help you comprehend so much more about other things.

Balancing the id, and super ego is a tenuous task. The people who succumb to the id become rapists, murderers, theives, etc. The people who play patsy to the super ego become completely withdrawn and self-loathing. Those who can understand these driving forces(subduing the id and choosing when the super ego is appropriate) can better use that knowledge to balance it. So it's obvious that this plays into "Political Science", but on a much more individual level.

I love playing tricks on my mind to step outside the norm of daily life. It becomes so grinding that I would almost have to do this. Put blindfolds on for a day and imagine what it would be like to be blind with your spouse. Or put on earmuffs and pretend to be deaf. The human mind is all about adapting to situations so in order to open up new pathways(in more unique ways than just reading a book or new information) you have to do things like this.

The human mind is also about discriminating between things. "This is a box" "This is a chair" "This is red"
When you were a child these things were new and exciting, but your mind has grown dull to these things. People resort to drugs in order to feel this again, but if you know enough about Psychology you can essentially trick your mind into feeling it all over again.

An amazing science for bettering yourself. Not very practical for work or a job though.
 Lakshmi.Flavin
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-11-01 13:59:34  
Let me start off by saying this... within everything there is the potential for good and bad (please don't start the well ho wdo you define good and bad who says this is good or bad please just take the societal median and go with it). Lives have been taken in the name of religion and science both. Whether they call it for advancement or God's will or both It has taken place. Also, both religion and science have given hope to and save many people's lives.

As time has progressed and human beings have developed and begun to understand more of what is around them and why things happen it seems that religion has started to fall to the way side for a lot of people in exchange for a more tangible faith in science. It's far easiar to belive in something you have the "evidence" to back it up. Either way you take it isn't necassarily a wrong path. Religion is not some all encompassing evil that eats away at the souls (figuratively) of humanity just as Science is not. Both can be used as a constructive part of life and I feel it is wrong to condemn either as some people take one side or the other. Religion can give people hope (no matter how foolish you may think that is) or inspire people to do good for others or even just give them the median they need to act. Science can save lives, make life more comfortable and give us a better understanding of what is physically around us. Religion can also be harmful to some as some make claims that vilify or degrade others for their choices sometimes breeding hate for others. Science has also killed and maimed people, led us astray at times. There are many different arguments/points you can make for either and that conversation could go on for ever.

My point is.... that both have their ups and downs and to disregard one completely shows only a lack of foresight and disregard for what billions choose to believe in. Honestly Jet your really no better than those pics in the LOL thread where they got the people out there showing the signs that said something like "the computer is the creation of the homo devil". I don't get why you hate religion so much but welcome to the world you live in the world that both religion and science are an insepreable part of. If I were you I'd learn to let go of the hate and maybe just start to use Science to start making a difference and come to terms with the fact that people are allowed to beleive in and do what they want (to a limit). For some religion has done more for them than science ever could and vice-versa. My best advice to you find a way to let go of the anger and learn to live with your fellow human beings without insulting the core of their belief system. Or just go on being an intollerant *** who thinks he personally knows what the best path for humanity is. Good luck with that.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-11-01 14:15:27  
As for the OP's original topic, go with what you're passionate about. Sure there are majors that are more employable or maybe even pay better but in all honesty if your passionate about something and do really well and also put a lot of work into the material, creating contacts, gaining experience, you can go a long way. Plus you'll be more likely to actually enjoy what you do than be one of those people that wakes up every morning and can barely pull themselves out of bed because their so unhappy about what they do for a living.

Another thing, a lot of people that graduate from college have a hard time finding work because a) they didn't do much work while they were in school b) didn't do much of anything in the form of internships/creating contacts, etc. c) barely get out to even look for a job that doesn't pay as much as they feel they're entitled to d) feel that they should be just given the job and don't understand why showing up wasn't enough. followed by e) fairly messed up economy.

It's more difficult to find jobs these days yes, but thats all the more reason to actually work for getting a job and yes start early... I know a weird concept right? Start looking for internships or part time employment at companies you would like to work for. look around a lot too because experience even if it's just experience working in an office with people or on projects is very important. Start looking no later than your sophmore year and keep on top of it all while polishing your resume at least once or twice a year. It's easy to complain or make excuses about why we don't have or can't get jobs (and some are viable) but ask yourself if you have done all you can to get one before fall back on "I can't get a job". Entitlement is the enemy.

So yes, go with what your passionate about and work towards that goal or you can go with one of the other majors and work towards a goal thats easiar to find job placement. Either way its quite the accomplishment to succeed in whichever path you take in life and I wish you the best of luck in making your decision.
 Asura.Dajociont
サーバ: Asura
user: Jamehkun
By Asura.Dajociont 2010-11-01 14:17:06  
Didn't read this whole thing but, if you're worried about which "looks better", don't. Most employers, unless you're applying for a specific type of career which calls for a certain area of study, don't care what your major was. But for the fact you went to college. Having a degree shows you're able to learn. An employee with the ability to adapt and learn > all. Just saying.
 Bismarck.Enzoe
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Enzoe
By Bismarck.Enzoe 2010-11-01 14:29:02  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I was never debated the rightness or wrongness of raping a woman. I simply stated that her freedom is enhanced by that law, whether anyone agrees with that law or not.
Oh ok. I guess my main point was that by creating laws we're actually restraining human growth. Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong. Until we try to understand why we believe what we believe then we dont really know what we believe. I think that's the state of current politics.

..because of religion

Also, neither of those degrees have a good financial outcome unless your are good writer and/or organizer. You may find yourself needing another degree, or stepping those majors to the MMA level before anyone will actually listen to you.

...or get the politics degree and join the Tea Party.
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-11-01 14:35:09  
Bismarck.Enzoe said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
I was never debated the rightness or wrongness of raping a woman. I simply stated that her freedom is enhanced by that law, whether anyone agrees with that law or not.
Oh ok. I guess my main point was that by creating laws we're actually restraining human growth. Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong. Until we try to understand why we believe what we believe then we dont really know what we believe. I think that's the state of current politics.
..because of religion Also, neither of those degrees have a good financial outcome unless your are good writer and/or organizer. You may find yourself needing another degree, or stepping those majors to the MMA level before anyone will actually listen to you. ...or get the politics degree and join the Tea Party.

REBOOT!

We've got to stop Megabyte and Hexadecimal! Glitch - Hoverboard!
 Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-11-01 14:39:33  
Asura.Dajociont said:
Didn't read this whole thing but, if you're worried about which "looks better", don't. Most employers, unless you're applying for a specific type of career which calls for a certain area of study, don't care what your major was. But for the fact you went to college. Having a degree shows you're able to learn. An employee with the ability to adapt and learn > all. Just saying.

True, there are many people who work in fields that they didn't get majors in but there are career paths that you can't just walk into. All really depends on if you just want a job or you want a certain kind of job.

Lakshmi.Flavin
By Lakshmi.Flavin 2010-11-01 14:46:51  
Bismarck.Helixx said:
how will society benefit from another political science / philosiphy guy... Unless you have wealthy parents and good conections to help you find a placement with your majors, start filling out your application to McDonalds. Not trying to troll, but here in germany, over 60% of all philosopers, after 5 years after graduation have no job. Less than 1% of engineers don't have a job after 5 years.

I'm a business major and right out the gates my starting salary was greater than all of my engineer friends and the med and law students are still in school racking up the debt. My career has just begun too. Business is quite low on that list there and I'm unsure whether that is about monetary compensation, ease of job placement or perceived importance to society but any major can get you somewhere, the question is just how hard will you work for it....
 Phoenix.Excelior
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-01 16:05:12  
Bismarck.Enzoe said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:
..because of religion Also, neither of those degrees have a good financial outcome unless your are good writer and/or organizer. You may find yourself needing another degree, or stepping those majors to the MMA level before anyone will actually listen to you. ...or get the politics degree and join the Tea Party.

My teachers think I'm a shoe in for at least partially funded law school, however, I'm not sure law is the area of logic I want to go into. When it comes to politics I'm less passionate about politics as I am about policy development.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 18:28:46  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said:
Bismarck.Enzoe said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Sylph.Tigerwoods said:

REBOOT!

We've got to stop Megabyte and Hexadecimal! Glitch - Hoverboard!
we need a plan