Political Science V Philosophy

言語: JP EN DE FR
2010-06-21
New Items
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Political Science v Philosophy
Political Science v Philosophy
 Phoenix.Excelior
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 15:36:00  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong.
Religion.
Not really more or less religion, but rather I'd say the cloning part isn't ever gonna happen thanks to what religion says, but hey good luck trying lol. Stem cell research is bettering humanity and there are more than enough governmental companies to take care of any issue that arises, but it just goes a bit more when you talk about trust in your fellow man is the real issue.

Well you know I'm a republican and a conservative and one day I googled what that really meant, here is the definition:

Conservatism (Latin: conservare, "to preserve")[1] is a political and social philosophy that promotes the maintenance of traditional institutions and supports, at the most, minimal and gradual change in society. Some conservatives seek to preserve things as they are, emphasizing stability and continuity, while others oppose modernism and seek a return to "the way things were."

The idea of anyone wanting to not advance society is beyond me. In fact I mentally can't understand why somebody would want to keep things as they are unless it's somehow benefiting them incredibly.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-10-31 15:38:45  
Phoenix.Excelior said:

I dont see how u can base a degree off of somebody else's interpretation of reality. Morals, laws, and society in general is man-made and inherently flawed.

Opinions? Do you think philosophy is better degree?
Philosophy is a shitty degree. I don't know many jobs or careers you could get with that, except teaching philosophy.

It looks good as a minor though, but unless you want to devote your career path to teaching philosophy a degree in it is just money down the toilet.

A law degree will get you much better work.

Undelete | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2010-10-31 15:42:27  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Philosophy is good, it allows an individual to think before you act and/or think before you judge.

If everyone on the planet had a complete understanding of Philosophy, then that's your world peace right there lol.
In theory it's good, but in reality it won't get you much work.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Darki
user: Darki
By Phoenix.Darki 2010-10-31 15:53:19  
Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:

I dont see how u can base a degree off of somebody else's interpretation of reality. Morals, laws, and society in general is man-made and inherently flawed.

Opinions? Do you think philosophy is better degree?
Philosophy is a shitty degree. I don't know many jobs or careers you could get with that, except teaching philosophy.

It looks good as a minor though, but unless you want to devote your career path to teaching philosophy a degree in it is just money down the toilet.

A law degree will get you much better work.
^

It's a secure teaching job because every university I know has several classes on it, be it art or science w/e. Philosophy is mandatory.

but aside from that you wont get paid a couple thousand for being a great thinker, let's not forget different times now and what was well paid back then isn't anymore today.

Philosophy is for rich people or for self improvement.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-31 15:55:39  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
1. Laws that ban weed. Who the *** decided it was wrong? Why do we care that so and so decided this? Who says that his opinion means ***anyways?
Drugs, from the health standpoint, are a detriment to your health, and can also cause harm to others without your intentions of doing so. Prescription drugs that can be monitored however, which usually have little/no negative effects on your body, I would approve of; this would apply to medicated marijuana. Just my opinion~
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-10-31 15:55:52  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Like stemcell research, cloning, etc. We've branded these things as wrong, but we dont know /why/ they are wrong.
Religion.
Not really more or less religion, but rather I'd say the cloning part isn't ever gonna happen thanks to what religion says, but hey good luck trying lol.

Stem cell research is bettering humanity and there are more than enough governmental companies to take care of any issue that arises, but it just goes a bit more when you talk about trust in your fellow man is the real issue.

Was more intended for the stem cell part but cloning is creating life outside of sex and I don't think they want that considering it's in "God's domain" or whatever.

http://jetpress.org/volume13/bainbridge.html Found this after some quick googling and it's more about cloning human embryos but still.

If you don't want to read:
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 16:18:54  
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
1. Laws that ban weed. Who the *** decided it was wrong? Why do we care that so and so decided this? Who says that his opinion means ***anyways?
Drugs, from the health standpoint, are a detriment to your health, and can also cause harm to others without your intentions of doing so. Prescription drugs that can be monitored however, which usually have little/no negative effects on your body, I would approve of; this would apply to medicated marijuana. Just my opinion~

You see the thing is you can argue any point. I would just say that if we're concerned about health then ciggerettes and alchohal should be illegal as well. I don't smoke weed but god damn how about some consistancy :/
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-31 16:34:02  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
You see the thing is you can argue any point. I would just say that if we're concerned about health then ciggerettes and alchohal should be illegal as well. I don't smoke weed but god damn how about some consistancy :/
They tried, the Temperance Act didn't go too well..
Although that was more about religion. I guess if they really wanted to, in todays age you could ban cigarettes and alcohol. It might be a little tough to do so though, considering the amount of people who are addicted to Cigarettes, are alcoholics, or just enjoy a drink every now and then, not to mention the companies who produce all of this and have a good sum of money in their pockets.

Carrie A Nation is a bamf btw.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-31 16:43:58  
Excelior would ban religion if he could.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-31 16:48:37  
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
If I had the power to do so, I probably would too. I don't see any good coming out of it besides false hope, and enhancing our culture to an extent I guess...
/derail.
By keres 2010-10-31 16:50:01  
One thought for you about your choice of majoring in Political Science or philosphy is what part of law are you planning to study. Once you figure out which direction that takes you then plan a major that will be helpfull.

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-10-31 17:06:36  
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

Actually, I've argued in every thread that banning religion is wrong. Religion itself is a cultural belief and that's fine, the danger comes from over emphasis on those beliefs or the inability to think beyond self-inflicted limitations of rational thought that are inherently part of being closed-minded.
 Bahamut.Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2010-10-31 17:06:36  
Lakshmi.Mabrook said:
Bahamut.Aeronis said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
If I had the power to do so, I probably would too. I don't see any good coming out of it besides false hope, and enhancing our culture to an extent I guess... /derail.
False hope happens with or without indeed lol.
Well, a safety net for the unknown I guess I would say to rephrase that. Beliefs like "I'm gonna go to heaven when I die because I do good," when clearly they don't know, but it's so drilled into their head that they don't feel the need to have any factual information. It's just stupidity in the making.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-10-31 17:11:16  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

Actually, I've argued in every thread that banning religion is wrong. Religion itself is a cultural belief and that's fine, the danger comes from over emphasis on those beliefs or the inability to think beyond self-inflicted limitations of rational thought that is inherently part of being closed-minded.

Fair enough.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 00:38:18  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

Actually, I've argued in every thread that banning religion is wrong. Religion itself is a cultural belief and that's fine, the danger comes from over emphasis on those beliefs or the inability to think beyond self-inflicted limitations of rational thought that are inherently part of being closed-minded.
blind faith itself ignores reality, religion is blind faith.
religion needs wiped from the face of the planet.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-01 00:43:33  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
blind faith itself ignores reality, religion is blind faith. religion needs wiped from the face of the planet.

Whether you believe in religion or science it's blind faith. I'm sure you believe in the big bang but I doubt you can prove it. I doubt that you can right now do the physics and the math to prove anything involving astrophysics or the origin of the universe. You blindly believe that these physists are correct. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, I cant say because I know I can't do the math. In the end you have to have faith in something, whether its god or another human being you have to admit that there is a certain degree of reliance on trust.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 00:47:52  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
blind faith itself ignores reality, religion is blind faith. religion needs wiped from the face of the planet.

Whether you believe in religion or science it's blind faith. I'm sure you believe in the big bang but I doubt you can prove it. I doubt that you can right now do the physics and the math to prove anything involving astrophysics or the origin of the universe. You blindly believe that these physists are correct. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, I cant say because I know I can't do the math. In the end you have to have faith in something, whether its god or another human being you have to admit that there is a certain degree of reliance on trust.
you can recreate any event that science claims as a fact, science isn't blind faith to say so is *** moronic. Also I can do math quite well thank you, however even with their math they can't prove anything without a shadow of a doubt, difference is there's no reason to put a "god" in the picture in the first place. Religion is ALL ABOUT BLIND FAITH, and blind faith is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Also any part of science where somebody takes the scientific communities word for it, it's not blind faith, because they publish evidence, it's not their fault one may be unable to comprehend it.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-01 00:51:15  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
you can recreate any event that science claims as a fact, science isn't blind faith to say so is *** moronic. Also I can do math quite well thank you, however even with their math they can't prove anything without a shadow of a doubt, difference is there's no reason to put a "god" in the picture in the first place. Religion is ALL ABOUT BLIND FAITH, and blind faith is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Also any part of science where somebody takes the scientific communities word for it, it's not blind faith, because they publish evidence, it's not their fault one may be unable to comprehend it.

If you can't understand it then how can you say you agree with it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 00:53:55  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
you can recreate any event that science claims as a fact, science isn't blind faith to say so is *** moronic. Also I can do math quite well thank you, however even with their math they can't prove anything without a shadow of a doubt, difference is there's no reason to put a "god" in the picture in the first place. Religion is ALL ABOUT BLIND FAITH, and blind faith is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE. Also any part of science where somebody takes the scientific communities word for it, it's not blind faith, because they publish evidence, it's not their fault one may be unable to comprehend it.

It seems to me that there is a lot of blind faith in Al Gore and global warming without very much evidence.
Global climate change is a possibility we should look into, it's not something that should be ignored (based upon the limited information we have on it. If a scientific study doesn't have evidence it's not very scientific, despite what some politician may call it.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 00:56:18  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:

If you can't understand it then how can you say you agree with it.
Scientists check scientists, if you want to be sure you do the work to be able to understand it then see for yourself. Unlike religion (which says not to question it) question science, it's a fundamental value.
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-11-01 01:05:02  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
you can recreate any event that science claims as a fact, science isn't blind faith to say so is *** moronic.

Also any part of science where somebody takes the scientific communities word for it, it's not blind faith, because they publish evidence, it's not their fault one may be unable to comprehend it.
I really don't know where you're getting this. No scientist ever acknowledges his or her results as fact, just supporting evidence for a theory. You can recreate some experiments depending on the science, but even in a controlled environment, things are never exact, nor absolute.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 01:11:10  
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
you can recreate any event that science claims as a fact, science isn't blind faith to say so is *** moronic.

I really don't know where you're getting this. No scientist ever acknowledges his or her results as fact, just supporting evidence for a theory. You can recreate some experiments depending on the science, but even in a controlled environment, things are never exact, nor absolute.

law of gravity, Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, Boyle's law of gases, the law of conservation of mass and energy, and Hook’s law of elasticity
these are facts and are testable by scientists and in most cases by "normal" people alike.
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2010-11-01 01:12:57  
but on the theory note, yes typically scientists usually test what are known as scientific theories, or new experiments which are based upon hypothesis.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-11-01 01:25:18  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
you can recreate any event that science claims as a fact, science isn't blind faith to say so is *** moronic. Also any part of science where somebody takes the scientific communities word for it, it's not blind faith, because they publish evidence, it's not their fault one may be unable to comprehend it.
law of gravity, Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, Boyle's law of gases, the law of conservation of mass and energy, and Hook’s law of elasticity these are facts and are testable by scientists and in most cases by "normal" people alike.

I'm not sure you can even use physics to calculate the universe. For example if the universe contains everything then what is it expanding into? We clearly have made a lot of assumptions in science.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2010-11-01 01:26:58  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Ragnarok.Anye said:
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:

law of gravity, Newton's laws of motion, the laws of thermodynamics, Boyle's law of gases, the law of conservation of mass and energy, and Hook’s law of elasticity
these are facts and are testable by scientists and in most cases by "normal" people alike.

Quantum physics says "Hi!" with all of it's paradoxes.

/luck on
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-11-01 01:29:13  
Bahamut.Jetackuu said:
Except that Newtonian mechanics only work on a small scale level, and are inaccurate when considering masses on a large scale, such as planets and stars and such. General relativity and quantum mechanics changed our perspective on all that.

Laws of thermodynamics and Boyle's law of gases, etc.--again, on a normal scale, works, but on the quantum level, is indefinite.

-edit- Outreplied by Serj :<